HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXIV: Will You Still Need Me, Will You Still Read Me, on Thread LXIV?

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Blue Warriors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Again, I wonder what "interest" is driving Clark to the point of obsession. Sounds like everyone else is taking a bigger looks, but Clark keeps pushing forward, and I keep thinking why else is she doing this? She's gone so far beyond what a "normal" political push would do, it makes me think there's a vested interest somewhere that we aren't privy to.

Lately she has this whole tone of "desperation" going on, just wonder if she's got something serious to lose behind the scenes if/when this all goes south.
Maybe she's told Shane Doan " I'm your number one fan " and wants to rewrite the script...

Old
11-20-2012, 01:07 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on her motivation. She obviously thinks that this is the best approach for the citizens of Glendale.
Yeah, I seriously doubt Clark is involved in any type of payola scheme; vague references to fraud sound like fringe stuff to me.

Not smart people do not smart things. They get taken advantage of pretty regularly. Glendale has a group of not smart people who approve allocations of a large amount of funds. They get taken advantage of pretty regularly. I don't think any of them are doing it intentionally for ill-gotten gains, they're just earnest imbeciles with no oversight.

We'll see what they come up with today. I'm sure it will be fascinating.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... not sure I follow you here madhi. Tanger Discount Stores bought property adjacent to Westgate & are building a big box mall with dozens upon dozens of merchants selling discount name brand clothing & accessories. They didnt lease space from iStar Financial who foreclosed on Ellman & took over Westgate when he fell behind in making his $200M+ loan payments. They held an auction last year with a reserve price of $40M and had no takers. Subsequently, theyve hired a Management Firm to lease out space, look after the place. Last I heard or read was they planned to hang on to Westgate, wait out the still somewhat sagging economy, probably sell when things get better. Credit Suisse as well got left holding the bag to the tune of $500M by Ellman, foreclosing on vacant land also adjacent to Westgate against unpaid loans. They too held an auction; again, reserve price of $200M not met.

... she went down the Rabbit Hole quite some time ago. Bought into the false schemes & dreamy numbers hook line & sinker. Clings fast to a vision that is wholly impracticable, irrational. Lost at sea. An artistic and benevolent nature that is wholly unsuited to the nasty games played by civil servants, politicians, developers and pro sports team owners, wannabe owners & leagues. Beyond her comprehension, pay grade. Refuses to accept she's been & is still apparently being hoodwinked despite massive evidence to the contrary. Its easy to attack her, however, Im going to the high road here, as I think she's more deserving of pity than anything else. She's a Gambler, refuses to accept she's got a problem, that people with power at any and all levels, those with or seeking wealth/power can be corrupt/corrupted. I think she's just far to naive' to be "on the take" herself though TL. Cant see that, what benefits of graft she might be the recipient of. I dont read any criminality in her makeup. Just innocently & foolishly high minded.
Yea, I wasn't necessarily implying bribes or such, just more wondering her obsession with it all and if something -but seeing your comments as well as Whileee and CF, maybe it just is a case of her being in over her head, and she really is trying to do the right thing-and perhaps got severe tunnelvision in the process. Part of my bais is I've grown cynical over the years with this sort of thing, so the thought that a politician might actually be doing something she believes in, without ulterior motives.....that sometimes just does not compute....

saavy?

I am saying though if something DOES end up coming out in the wash.......

Old
11-20-2012, 01:32 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ndale-council/

The Goldwater Institute tells PHT via email that it continues to monitor the situation; however, it has no comment at this time.

Still waiting to pounce from the sidelines.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
saavy?

Savvy. The only ones Friggin in the Riggin would be Cap'n
Beasley and his First Mate TL Hocking far as I can determine...

Old
11-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
And how do you propose they condense four years worth of tough questions down to fit a 4 1/2 minute news interview spot?

The answer is you can't.
1. "You implied that immediately after the agreement is signed, there is a reasonable expectation that Jamison will purchase the arena, retire the arena debt, and then not collect the AMF. Then why did you lease the Jobing.com arena to Jamison instead of selling it to him?"
2. "How much of the AMF is for arena management and how much is to subsidize the Coyotes operation?"
3. "Why are you allowing Jamison to receive the parking revenue rights, which the City of Glendale has previously valued at $100 million?"
4. "You said that the AMF is $11 million per year, but the total outlay for the AMF is $308 million. Can you explain why those figures don't match?"

I just did...

Old
11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Slashers98

The show must go on: Glendale City Council Meeting: http://glendale-az.granicus.com/Medi...p?publish_id=4

Old
11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
aqib

Can you provide a summary. I am sure the members of council won't notice if you quote them

Old
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Whileee

Scruggs -- I objected to the budget you all approved because it was fiction.

She's also calling out Skeete for claiming that a 53% variance (deficit) in revenue from Westgate/Arena was due to the NHL lockout. She notes that only 1 Coyotes preseason game was scheduled during the reporting period. Basically, she is telling Skeete not to misrepresent reasons for the deficits that "are not factual".

By the way, the sales tax increase is "under-performing" by about $1 million.

Scruggs' knows more about the documents than Skeete. He was surprised at being called out for the claim that the NHL lockout was responsible for the lower than projected revenue from Westgate/Arena. Scruggs is basically saying that the projections upon which the budget was built were unrealistic.

Last edited by Whileee: 11-20-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old
11-20-2012, 04:49 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Where is Skeete from, can't place his accent, sounds like the West Indies?

Old
11-20-2012, 04:55 PM
sipowicz
The Original

"Has he bought the team already?" It's r'ithmatic" Where did they find these clowns on Glendale council, these twits are dealing with a $350 million dollar deal and none of them could even get hired at Walmart.

They are so inept I doubt any of them could figure out how to conduct a simple transaction like selling a car.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Frate with the "We're not paying anything now" card. So what if we have to pay $11M regardless of when GJ takes ownership of the franchise... "We're not paying anything now". "It's arithmetic". I guess Frate has bought into the Clarkonomics franchise

Old
11-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Tinalera

Some interesting reading on here right now, with the quotes from the meeting....

Old
11-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Where is Skeete from, can't place his accent, sounds like the West Indies?
Ya. His ancestors are Slave & Sugar Cane Traders. Scoundrels of the worst ilk... Looks like a nice guy actually. Bsc in Accounting from Devry; MBA from UofP. Hobbies & Interests include International Travel (mebbe to the Caribbean to visit the old family plantation?) and Hiking, Digital Photography and something very mysterious called Lean Six Sigma for Services. Also a member of a couple of Hispanic Cultural & Social Groups, so Im assuming also fully fluent in Spanish. So unless he was directly aiding & abetting his former rogue of a boss in Ed Beasley, which I sincerely doubt, no need to haul him in for questioning just yet sipowicz. Better we should just keep him under observation for now. Unmarked car, coupla plain clothed, 12 hours on, 12 off.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

As predictable as the sunrise... Clark's turn on the mic

She brings up... GJ buying the Arena (as an option).

Old
11-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Whileee

Scruggs figured out that the "smartest thing" for Jamison to do is to wait to purchase the team until the end of the season. Then he gets $11 million with only minor penalties payable to the COG. I hope Jamison isn't listening.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:19 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Ya. His ancestors are Slave & Sugar Cane Traders. Scoundrels of the worst ilk... Looks like a nice guy actually. Bsc in Accounting from Devry; MBA from UofP. Hobbies & Interests include International Travel (mebbe to the Caribbean to visit the old family plantation?) and Hiking, Digital Photography and something very mysterious called Lean Six Sigma for Services. Also a member of a couple of Hispanic Cultural & Social Groups, so Im assuming also fully fluent in Spanish. So unless he was directly aiding & abetting his former rogue of a boss in Ed Beasley, which I sincerely doubt, no need to haul him in for questioning just yet sipowicz. Better we should just keep him under observation for now. Unmarked car, coupla plain clothed, 12 hours on, 12 off.
Yeah I'm with you there, he's probably well connected with a Columbian cartel, personally knew Manuel Noriega and has family members who played both sides during the Bay of Pigs Invasion.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Whileee

City staff want to show forecasts for the next 10-20 years (with and without the Coyotes). Clark jumps in and tries to stop this line of reasoning. I guess she forgot about the claims by the COG about the long term comparison from TL Hocking an Pollack... the city financial person reminds her about this.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Scruggs figured out that the "smartest thing" for Jamison to do is to wait to purchase the team until the end of the season. Then he gets $11 million with only minor penalties payable to the COG. I hope Jamison isn't listening.
The way the CBA talks are (not) going, that point may be academic anyway, he may have no choice

So, judging from the little I'm reading here (can't access), it's almost sounding like it's Clark vs the rest of council here, she seems to have not much in the way of allies.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Whileee

Clark misses the days when they could pull out an analysis from TL Hocking. She's really reluctant to have the city financial people to present this analysis beyond 5 years.

Scruggs: "Isn't that what Mr. Pollack did?"

Someone needs to remind Clark that she already lost the election. She has nothing to fear but fear itself.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:22 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Frate with the "We're not paying anything now" card. So what if we have to pay $11M regardless of when GJ takes ownership of the franchise... "We're not paying anything now". "It's arithmetic". I guess Frate has bought into the Clarkonomics franchise
Technically correct. The current council isn't paying anything now...or later for that matter. This council is passing the lease, but its the next council that has to pay for it.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Whileee

"Clarkonomics"

Apply optimistic growth assumptions when you are analyzing projections for the plan you favor, but other less optimistic options for plans you oppose.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Technically correct. The current council isn't paying anything now...or later for that matter. This council is passing the lease, but its the next council that has to pay for it.
My apologies CBC... the context I took it as was that Frate's mindset of (theory only) $11MM for 3 months, 4, 2, or 1 month, regardless of when JIG takes ownership is ok because... "We're not paying anything now". As in no additional cost to us now.

Hope that clarifies what I meant

Old
11-20-2012, 05:29 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Clarke speaks as if she won election in a landslide and her constituents are wholeheartedly behind this deal.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:29 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Yeah, I seriously doubt Clark is involved in any type of payola scheme; vague references to fraud sound like fringe stuff to me.

Not smart people do not smart things. They get taken advantage of pretty regularly. Glendale has a group of not smart people who approve allocations of a large amount of funds. They get taken advantage of pretty regularly. I don't think any of them are doing it intentionally for ill-gotten gains, they're just earnest imbeciles with no oversight.
Yeah, Occam's razor says this is the most likely scenario.

Quote:
yet again, Dr. K doesn't disappoint.

Closed Thread