HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Questions --2 scenarios (MOD: season schedule options 12/1 & 1/1 starts)

Old
11-13-2012, 10:42 AM
hawksfan50

vCash: 500
Questions --2 scenarios (MOD: season schedule options 12/1 & 1/1 starts)

A. They get a deal done in time for:

DEC start: 5 months play till end of april ...14 games per month =70 game season?
or
JAN start: 4 months play till end of April ..14 games per month= 56 game season ?

OR:

B: NO deal--season canclled!

Questions on the A scenarios:

1) Do they pick up the schedule as first designed from the start point on then add the extra games in April --and so CAN THIS LEAD TO A STILL EQUAL SCHEDULE FOR EACH TEAM IN THE DIVISION ?--that is playing the same opponents ? IF not,you get an unfair situation --while they MUST be able to give each team an equal NUMBER of HOME and AWAY games --the logistics of playing the SAME teams for each team in a division are probably impossible if youuse a "picked up then add schedule...SO for instance Chicago might play team A and B from another division while STL plays only teams C and D from that other division --it may have to be this kind of unequal scheduling .this favours some teams with weaker opponents and hurts other teams in the same division with better opponents to play..

OR

2) DO they alrady have NEW but equalized 70 or 56 game scheduled drawn up such that all teams in a division will all play the say opponents? IF this is the desired outcome-then IF they do not have this already drawn up -then it may be impossible this late for the DEC start (70 games)--perhaps the smaller 56 game sked starting in January could stillbe drawn up in time to provide equalization?

B. NO deal in time for even a JAN start..in that case IF the season cancelled --here are my questions:

1) Does that mean 1 year lobbed off pre-existing contracts OR is the contract just picked up from the next season and extended 1 more year?

2) How will this effect UFA status? IF they keep UFA at age 27 -does missing a season get a guy to UFA t that age or because of the missed season will that guy
have to wait till age 28?

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:40 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

The December 1st option seems to be more for a 64 game season (4xconference, 6xdivision; no interconference play). Which may or may not be able to be "done" by mid April (rather than late April).

With December's mandated Christmas break, and "still on the schedule" ASG break, no way could you do 14 games/month on average. 12 -- maybe.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

And I think any scenario from now on would ask for a completely new schedule to be done. They need to keep the basics of even number of home/away games and prioritize divisional and conference match ups. That would help reduce travel costs as well for the rest of the season.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:02 PM
fastvoteman

I imagine they'd try to keep as many games as possible the same but this of course isn't feasible. They would probably have it so the teams have a home game when they were supposed to in the old schedule.

The interesting question is what happens to people who have tickets for games but they no longer happen? I can see lots of people getting refunds but not buying tickets to games in the new schedule, causing overall revenue to decrease.

fastvoteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:29 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvoteman View Post
I imagine they'd try to keep as many games as possible the same but this of course isn't feasible. They would probably have it so the teams have a home game when they were supposed to in the old schedule.

The interesting question is what happens to people who have tickets for games but they no longer happen? I can see lots of people getting refunds but not buying tickets to games in the new schedule, causing overall revenue to decrease.
I am not sure teams have put tickets for single season games on sale just yet. Anyway I don't think they do it before September 15th and specially not this season.

We know for sure some teams did ship STH their tickets while others teams didn't. Anyway, I don't think it will be a problem printing and shipping new sets of ST to holders but like I said I really am not sure people were able to buy single game tickets just yet.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:11 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

if they somehow resolve this fiasco and get playing before christmas, any chance they would do away with not playing for a couple days and pull an NBA with games on actual christmas? obviously could be wishful thinking at this point but just curious.

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

A thought: splitting the difference on a shortened season

Suppose we're blessed with a miracle and we've got hockey to watch come December 1. Pulling numbers out of the air, they can probably shoehorn a 60-game season in - however it's likely that it would have to run into early May, with the Cup presented in late June (not unlike 1995). However, suppose the league was to have a 70-game season this year, and a 72-game season in 2013-14 with a later start (mid-November, perhaps).

Many pros immediately come to mind...
- it would give players a longer offseason and allow injuries to heal, rather than being forced into a new season so quickly after the previous one ends
- it would give this season a little more legitimacy, and possibly quell some of the cries of a "tainted cup victory"
- home openers aside, the October/November games can be some of the hardest tickets to sell

The only downside to that I can think of is that a 70-game season kicking off in December would result in a cup presentation well into July, which presents issues of diverted attention (nice weather, competing sports, etc.), poor playing conditions as heart and humidity permeate the arenas, and having to move the free agency date back a month so it falls after the end of the season.

Is this something that could work? What parts of this idea haven't I completely thought through?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:31 PM
howie789

keep dreaming...it's not happening

howie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Horse
Go Canucks!

I refuse to watch hockey in late June or July, that's just lame and crappy.
I didnt even like watching the Canucks in the finals in mid-June a couple years ago. I had to go out and buy a satellite radio to listen to game 7 in the middle of nowhere Minnesota due to a long standing canoe trip.

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:40 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
^^ does not speak for the rest of us.

I'd watch hockey on Christmas day while my family goes and sings carols if I could.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:26 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Is this something that could work? What parts of this idea haven't I completely thought through?
Can't see the national and local TV broadcasters very enthusiastic about shifting their schedules for two seasons. Imagine most would rather deal with one shortened season and get back on their schedule next year.

Last edited by mouser: 11-21-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: typo
mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:13 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
The December 1st option seems to be more for a 64 game season (4xconference, 6xdivision; no interconference play). Which may or may not be able to be "done" by mid April (rather than late April).

With December's mandated Christmas break, and "still on the schedule" ASG break, no way could you do 14 games/month on average. 12 -- maybe.
This seems to make the most sense...60-64 games seems to be the most they could pull off...

The no interconference play would probably save some money on travel also...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Kebekoi

They should award the Cup in May, no later.

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:33 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I'd watch hockey on Christmas day while my family goes and sings carols if I could.
But would you watch on Canada Day? I don't think I would. Mid-June is already pushing it. The days are long & getting hot, the patios are open.. it's time to be outside doing stuff, not watching a winter sport.

Anyway, even with a Dec.1 start I doubt we'd get 70 games. 60, maybe. For a Jan.1 start I think we'd be looking at a max of 50 games.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:09 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
They should award the Cup in May, no later.
So, you're advocating a season start no later than mid-September, with training camp in August?

Will this be phased in (pushing start of season/shortening summer -- by a week) over a number of years, or "immediately"?

And do realize that 2013-2014 will (probably) have a 2+ week break in February to accommodate Olympic participation, so that will further condense the schedule.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote