HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan McDonagh and/or Derek Stepan to MIN

Old
11-20-2012, 07:05 PM
TOGuy14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Coyle + Granlund +__________? for real? No, thanks. We suffered for our forward prospect depth, we're not going to gut it to get better on D. Crazy prediction here but Granlund will end up a more valuable player than McDonagh anyway.

Offering Heatley and/or Bouchard was just insulting, though. C'mon, man.

I know it depends on the CBA, but what do you all think McDonagh would be worth on the open market right now, considering he's really young, highly effective, and still getting better? I think he could see a pretty ridiculous long-term payday if there were no cap. That's just speculation fueled by the Suter comparison...A team is going to have to keep this in mind while acquiring/signing players with contracts that bump over his UFA year.
If Drew Doughty can get $7M, I see no reason that McD wouldn't get easily $5.5-6, with an offer of $6.5 from a desperate team

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:12 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Beyond laughable that Heatley and Bouchard are "on your block". I wouldn't trade McDonagh for Granlund AND your 1st. Value there? Sure. Still wouldn't do it. I wouldn't trade Stepan for Heatley straight up.

You're talking about a 23 year old who finished top ~10 in Norris voting and plays 30 minutes a night in a shutdown role, while still managing 30+ points (not to mention the offensive game is only just starting to show up) and a 22 year old center who had a 45 point rookie season and 51 point sophomore season, whose combined cap hit is 2.175M right now.

There is nothing you could possibly offer NYR that would make them give them up. Seriously. Why would we want Granlund and a 1st? We were in game 6 of the ECF last season and our team is in it's prime. Granlund and the 1st might both become excellent players, but it sets us back a few years while our Girardis, Gaboriks, Nashs, Lundqvists are prime. Why would we want Heatley? He has a large cap hit and is clearly on the decline. Bouchard? Not an upgrade over Stepan (age considered, probably even without age considered) and never healthy. The only two assets that would make the Rangers better are ones you just signed this summer.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:12 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
If Drew Doughty can get $7M, I see no reason that McD wouldn't get easily $5.5-6, with an offer of $6.5 from a desperate team
Unless McDonagh gets significant PP time and/or a huge boost in his numbers this year (if there is a year), the kind of contract he gets will likely be similar to Staal's. ~4 mil/year with one year of UFA bought out at something like 5.5-6.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Unless McDonagh gets significant PP time and/or a huge boost in his numbers this year (if there is a year), the kind of contract he gets will likely be similar to Staal's. ~4 mil/year with one year of UFA bought out at something like 5.5-6.
Even if McDonagh continues to hit 30 points with absolutely no PP time he'll still get a significantly higher offer than Staal.

I see what you're getting at, but you can't really compare McDonagh to Staal who has yet to hit 30 points with PP time. McDonagh is far, far better offensively. Every GM knows it.

I hope Sather and CO. are ready for a huge offer because McDonagh is gonna break the bank.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
No?

It's totally fine if you wouldn't. I'm just curious.
Without seeing how Suter has played without Weber yet, I'd say he and McDonagh aren't that distant talent-wise. Even if Suter is considerably better, not nearly enough to make NYR ignore the fact that McDonagh is younger and doesn't have an awful contract.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:10 PM
bernmeister

The upside to McDonagh means no, unless it is a package and an uber elite talent is returning, preferably a super sniper.

Stepan is another story, but we're not just giving him away. I would entertain offers besides Koivu. But it has to make sense in, if not immediate profit, some potential upside for big return on investment later.

For example, one possibility could be
Stepan + Del Zotto + x to Bruins
for
Dougie Hamilton + y to Rangers

Can Min offer anything like that?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Parise bitterness aside, and from a non Rangers fan perspective no way would I take Suter over Mcdonagh. Yes Suter is better now, but not 10 times better(Woah is Suter really 10 x the cap hit of Mcdonagh right now?) Plus if you get a player like Mcdonagh for a heap of trash like Gomez, then you really gotta keep him!

While I hate the way Lou does business concerning UFA's, can't really blame Parise on him. Nashville tried to lock up Suter, and he wouldn't take an extension.
5.7x by my count, a number that figures to way go way down shortly.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:43 PM
avsman

McDonagh doesn't seem like a big need for Minnesota as they just signed Suter, and have Brodin coming soon, they should be looking at a right handed to pairing defenseman with a big shot who plays physical, maybe someone like Bogosian

avsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
McDonagh doesn't seem like a big need for Minnesota as they just signed Suter, and have Brodin coming soon, they should be looking at a right handed to pairing defenseman with a big shot who plays physical, maybe someone like Bogosian
Interesting, but he's not from Minnesota. EJ?

That's the point of this thread, right?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
I'd probably rank the Ranger Untouchables as follows:

1. Hank
2. McD

As far as that contract offer, IMO that is just wishful thinking. He's going to get somewhere near the $6M neighborhood each year, if I had to guess. Stepan should get a decent raise as well, maybe $3M. Maybe more.

What's interesting is that the following year the Rangers have a ton of contracts expiring. Most notably: Lundqvist, Gaborik, Callahan, Boyle, Girardi and Stralman. This will probably be Hank's last big payday, so I'm assuming he will want at least what he's making now, if not slightly more in the Rinne range. Callahan is a lock to be re-signed, although I don't know if he'll get a raise from his $4.875M in 13/14. I could see Girardi asking for a solid $1.5M raise, considering I think he'd be able to get it in a heartbeat on the open market.

The main thing I'm curious about is, do they plan on letting Gaborik walk? Especially now that they have Nash in the fold as well as a developing Kreider? Or will they try to trim fat elsewhere to keep him around? Because I just don't see any way they can give these guys the raises that they deserve while keeping them all together.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
I agree. As you said we have Brodin coming very soon and many Wild fans seem to think that Scandella can be a top 4 d-man as well (he's also left-handed). Gilbert is a legitimate top 4 d-man while Spurgeon is in the Wild top 4 due to a lack of depth. The only other notable right-handed d-man we have is Dumba and he's at least 2 years away at a minimum.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:47 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Even if McDonagh continues to hit 30 points with absolutely no PP time he'll still get a significantly higher offer than Staal.

I see what you're getting at, but you can't really compare McDonagh to Staal who has yet to hit 30 points with PP time. McDonagh is far, far better offensively. Every GM knows it.

I hope Sather and CO. are ready for a huge offer because McDonagh is gonna break the bank.
I've thought for a while we don't play McDonagh on the PP for a reason, but that's besides the point.

I don't think McDonagh's RFA years are going to come at more than 4 mil. Sather just isn't any GM. He underpays players as RFAs if anything.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:49 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post

1. Hank
2. McD

As far as that contract offer, IMO that is just wishful thinking. He's going to get somewhere near the $6M neighborhood each year, if I had to guess. Stepan should get a decent raise as well, maybe $3M. Maybe more.

What's interesting is that the following year the Rangers have a ton of contracts expiring. Most notably: Lundqvist, Gaborik, Callahan, Boyle, Girardi and Stralman. This will probably be Hank's last big payday, so I'm assuming he will want at least what he's making now, if not slightly more in the Rinne range. Callahan is a lock to be re-signed, although I don't know if he'll get a raise from his $4.875M in 13/14. I could see Girardi asking for a solid $1.5M raise, considering I think he'd be able to get it in a heartbeat on the open market.

The main thing I'm curious about is, do they plan on letting Gaborik walk? Especially now that they have Nash in the fold as well as a developing Kreider? Or will they try to trim fat elsewhere to keep him around? Because I just don't see any way they can give these guys the raises that they deserve while keeping them all together.
I don't know about Gaborik walking. It certainly depends on how the cap is going to look, but I'm of the opinion this is our last year with Gaborik.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Quote:
I've thought for a while we don't play McDonagh on the PP for a reason, but that's besides the point.

I don't think McDonagh's RFA years are going to come at more than 4 mil. Sather just isn't any GM. He underpays players as RFAs if anything.
I think we can swing 4 at RFA, yes, but unless his progression is completely derailed McDonagh will be getting a Suter contract when he hits UFA.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:19 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
I don't know about Gaborik walking. It certainly depends on how the cap is going to look, but I'm of the opinion this is our last year with Gaborik.
If that's the case, you could probably get solid value from a team like Phoenix or San Jose. Both competitive teams in need of a speedy, scoring winger. Out of conference trade so not much concern for having the trade come back to bite them/you.

If you do expect him to be gone, I think the Rangers would be better served getting some sort of return for him, rather then letting him walk as a UFA. Even if that means sacrificing a little bit of scoring for the 2013/14 season.

Now trade us(the Islanders) McDonagh for Marty Reasoner please.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
I don't know about Gaborik walking.
Had that problem on the Wild as well, unfortunately. Always hurt.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:17 AM
forthewild

Rangers would be stupid to trade McD for anything other then an overpayment, and this is an area where Minnesota can't help them.

McDonagh and Stepan are two reason among many why MN needs to draft more home grown players, there are a number of gems in this state in each draft time to start getting them.

Also the best part of McDonagh is that he was traded for Gomez, how bad does that sting, to see a poised youngster with so much upside and you actually improved your team and financial standing to get him.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:50 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
5.7x by my count, a number that figures to way go way down shortly.
But even if so, without the significant risk of becoming a toxic asset in the future if the league's proposed cap-circumvention contract "penalty" goes through in the finalized CBA.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:34 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post

1. Hank
2. McD

My guess? Gaborik is traded at the 2013 draft to replenish the 1st they move to get Nash.

That 7.5 or whatever it is going to end up being will be needed to resign the RFA's coming up.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:27 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

with the Wild signing Suter and Parise, now would be the time to make moves for other good players if they can and become a cup contender.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
jw2

Only way one of these guys is traded to Minn is in a deadline deal. I could see something like Stepan for Koivu at the deadline. But, in the long-run, that ends up being essentially Gaborik + Stepan for Koivu (after the summer), which does not have the Rangers coming out on top.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
with the Wild signing Suter and Parise, now would be the time to make moves for other good players if they can and become a cup contender.
... Or we could wait for our prospects to develop and not hand out any more ridiculous contracts.

What's the rush? We have Parise & Suter until they essentially can't play hockey anymore.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Had that problem on the Wild as well, unfortunately. Always hurt.
He's been pretty healthy in new york. His groin problems are gone due to surgery, which is why he was always hurt. Any time he got hurt while playing here was always some freak accident, like a teammate's skate cutting his leg or whatever.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:22 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I think we can swing 4 at RFA, yes, but unless his progression is completely derailed McDonagh will be getting a Suter contract when he hits UFA.
There won't be any more suter contracts. Cap hits will stay the same for players, but there won't be any more 12 mil years.

And I still expect the same thing with McDonagh as with Staal. Sure, each RFA year might be ~4 mil (was about 3.5 with Staal) and the 1 usual UFA year we get might be ~6 mil instead of 5.5ish, but his cap hit won't go above 4.5 in my opinion.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:45 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
... Or we could wait for our prospects to develop and not hand out any more ridiculous contracts.

What's the rush? We have Parise & Suter until they essentially can't play hockey anymore.
oh, no rush per se, and i for sure would not be trading Granlund or Dumba or Brodin for anyone, and Coyle and Bulmer should give you some sandpaper in the future too....wouldn't trade them either...unless Shea Weber or Dustin Brown were offered.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote