HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

American Prospect Update Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The NHL draft has no relevance towards eligibility for an IIHF competition.
Ah, alright. Thanks for the clarification!

Old
11-20-2012, 09:20 PM
bigbadbruins7

anybody know when usa hockey usually releases the camp for their wjc evaluation camp?

Old
11-20-2012, 09:47 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
anybody know when usa hockey usually releases the camp for their wjc evaluation camp?
It's been the first Tuesday of December, so maybe around the 4th this year.

11-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Who's likely to be your captains at the WJC?

Any chance Biggs could don an A?

Old
11-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Who's likely to be your captains at the WJC?

Any chance Biggs could don an A?
I'd guess that Miller might be the favorite as the experienced hand. 2nd guess would be Trouba.

I doubt Biggs gets a letter.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Can we add Ryan Lindgren of Shattuck St. Mary's to the list for 98 borns?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226442

Old
11-25-2012, 07:51 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I'd guess that Miller might be the favorite as the experienced hand. 2nd guess would be Trouba.

I doubt Biggs gets a letter.
Really? Seems like he probably would. Came to summer camp prepared, preformed admirably.

Former captain of u-18 teams. Probably knows a bunch of these guys quite well. I'd bet on him getting a letter before him not.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Really? Seems like he probably would. Came to summer camp prepared, preformed admirably.

Former captain of u-18 teams. Probably knows a bunch of these guys quite well. I'd bet on him getting a letter before him not.
Certainly possible

Old
11-26-2012, 11:25 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Can we add Ryan Lindgren of Shattuck St. Mary's to the list for 98 borns?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226442
Very good player along with Clayton Keller on that team.
Another 98 add would be Jake Chychrun. Playing up an age on LC's Midget Minor. Smooth skating defender who use to play for the Florida Everblades 98's with Nick Pastujov on the 98 list.

And when you add 99's next year, some serious speed with Sean Dhooghe Watch the front page highlight video on the Bauer World invite page
He is #71 for Chicago Mission.

http://www.worldhockeyinvite.com/_Chicago/Home.html

Old
11-26-2012, 08:01 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
And when you add 99's next year, some serious speed with Sean Dhooghe Watch the front page highlight video on the Bauer World invite page
He is #71 for Chicago Mission.

http://www.worldhockeyinvite.com/_Chicago/Home.html
USHR raved about him at last year's nationals. It's extremely early but you can certainly see the tools there.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:01 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

There's some talk of Sean Day seeking exceptional status for the OHL draft along with numerous rave reviews of his play over in the OHL section of the boards. I don't know how that would work considering he's been playing in the US since he was at least 9. Apparently he may be a dual-citizen so that could have some impact on the situation as well as bring up questions of just who he'd represent internationally. It'd be a bit ironic if a kid who played his formative years in the US development system ended up playing for Canada though. What's even funnier to me is that I've heard Chad Krys is even better than Day and he's a dual-citizen as well. Is the US development system improving that much or should we just start importing more Canadian parents?

Old
11-26-2012, 09:15 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
There's some talk of Sean Day seeking exceptional status for the OHL draft along with numerous rave reviews of his play over in the OHL section of the boards. I don't know how that would work considering he's been playing in the US since he was at least 9. Apparently he may be a dual-citizen so that could have some impact on the situation as well as bring up questions of just who he'd represent internationally. It'd be a bit ironic if a kid who played his formative years in the US development system ended up playing for Canada though. What's even funnier to me is that I've heard Chad Krys is even better than Day and he's a dual-citizen as well. Is the US development system improving that much or should we just start importing more Canadian parents?
Willie Nylander spent most of his development in the US too.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
USHR raved about him at last year's nationals. It's extremely early but you can certainly see the tools there.
Watched him in the Silver Stick final yesterday afternoon. Tremendous speed and smarts.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:29 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Any update on USA Hockey's journey to get Barzal under USA IIHF regulation?

Old
11-26-2012, 11:34 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Any update on USA Hockey's journey to get Barzal under USA IIHF regulation?
Barzal has American citizenship? I wasn't aware of that. Or are you thinking of Jansen Harkins?

Old
11-26-2012, 11:42 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Barzal has American citizenship? I wasn't aware of that. Or are you thinking of Jansen Harkins?
All I remember is vaguely reading it somewhere on either part 1 or 2 of this thread that USA was trying to recruit a big name young player from BC minor hockey. I swear I thought it was Barzal, but maybe I was going crazy.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:50 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
All I remember is vaguely reading it somewhere on either part 1 or 2 of this thread that USA was trying to recruit a big name young player from BC minor hockey. I swear I thought it was Barzal, but maybe I was going crazy.
It could have been my post:

Quote:
Should be interesting to see what USA Hockey does, if anything, to attempt to court Jansen Harkins, the #2 overall pick (Prince George) in this year's WHL draft. His dad is Todd Harkins, an Ohio native that represented Team USA in two World Championships.
I can't see what path Jansen would even have to eligibility though. When the IIHF recently ruled William Nylander eligible for Sweden one interesting thing I did notice is that they quoted their new Statutes & Bylaws, which appear to have been implemented after the Stefan Matteau saga, in an apparent retroactive move to justify their lunacy.

Here's the rule that most commonly would apply:

Quote:
1.7 When a player has multiple citizenships where the relevant citizenships are for countries of Member National Associations and he has never represented any country in any IIHF championship or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions, then in order to play for the country of his choice he must

a) prove that he has participated on a consistent basis, for at least two consecutive years (730 days) after his 12th birthday in the national competitions of and be a legal resident in the country that he wishes to represent during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey for a team registered/located within any other country; and

b) if the country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must have had an international transfer that was approved by the IIHF and dated at least two years (730 days) prior to his proposed participation.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:01 AM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

For the last couple of years I've been tempted to do a story on how much USA Hockey (specifically the NTDP and WJC team) benefit from Canadian parents. Seems like every year these players have more of an impact too.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:13 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
I know your comment probably wasn't looking for an in depth comment

The system here in the U.S. didn't help. two things helped.

1. Start early on the important things (individual skills) Most coaches team practice settings does not drive elite skills. Individual work, starting early, on skating, puckhandling and shooting. This is done on own, stick n' puck sessions, basement, garage, etc (if you have a coach that drives individual skills for years and years during team practices, that is more icing on the cake)

2. Parents who know how important #1 is. (And Canadian parents, more so one's that know the game and played a high level are key. Obviously there are American parents who know this but they are few and far between because so many never grew up with the game. They do not realize the hours upon hours it takes of having individual skills practiced endlessly)

Most parents who have played the game or at least been around the game enough to know what got elite players to the elite status know what is important. Here in the U.S. there are not enough parents who know the game enough to help their kids get to the elite stage.

-Years ago I had parents of 5 year old kids worried like crazy that we were not spending time on where to line up for a face off. Wondering if we were ever going to spend time in practice on it. (we got one hour a week of practice) They weren't happy when I told them that the goal I had for our cross ice games would be to have very few face offs and more playing.

-A couple years later I had parents of 7 year olds wondering why we didn't have a first and second power play unit.

-A couple years later with 9 year olds I had parents wondering why we spend so much time on skating still when our PK was not playing up to their expectations.

All of the stories above are true and have been the same experiences of many more youth coaches that I talk to.

The parent who worries more about the amount of time their kids coaches will dedicate to skating and puckhandling and shooting and passing will be the parents happy with their kids progress in the end. And the shame is that most parents who will ask those questions will be the parents who have the hockey background like many elite players parents have.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:21 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
For the last couple of years I've been tempted to do a story on how much USA Hockey (specifically the NTDP and WJC team) benefit from Canadian parents. Seems like every year these players have more of an impact too.
It is interesting, but at the same time those Canadian parents don't need to send their kids to USNTDP and I believe we will see more cases with Americans wanting to play for Canada as well like Myers.

@William: Thanks that is the post I was referring to.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
What are potential examples this year? Off the top of my head I can think of Matteau, Biggs, and Connor Murphy.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
It is interesting, but at the same time those Canadian parents don't need to send their kids to USNTDP and I believe we will see more cases with Americans wanting to play for Canada as well like Myers.

@William: Thanks that is the post I was referring to.
Well, parents send their kids to the USNTDP because it's a great development program. The benefits go both ways there.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:32 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Well, parents send their kids to the USNTDP because it's a great development program. The benefits go both ways there.
Yes and I totally agree, but what I am getting at is if they (the parents) wanted their kids to play for Canada they wouldn't send them to USNTDP as it screws up their IIHF eligibility, so I consider them legit Americans (Biggs, Murphy, etc.).

Old
11-27-2012, 03:10 PM
KrisBeKreame

If anyone here gets to watch Denver Pioneer's Hockey. How does Mayfield look? How mature is he looking, Does anyone think he might be getting close to NHL or AHL ready?

On another note what do people think of Robbie Russo's Chances of making team USA for the WJC?

Old
11-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Yes and I totally agree, but what I am getting at is if they (the parents) wanted their kids to play for Canada they wouldn't send them to USNTDP as it screws up their IIHF eligibility, so I consider them legit Americans (Biggs, Murphy, etc.).
To be honest, I'm not sure international eligibility is of the utmost concern when these kids and their parents are mapping out their careers.

Closed Thread