I missed that .gif

Old
11-20-2012, 06:10 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Montador has been a poster child for the negative things the NHLPA has said and done this entire lockout. Every time the "list of players attending" doesn't include Montador, my hopes of progress and successful multiply tenfold.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:17 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 772
Quote:
Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Steve Montador, a member of the NHLPA's negotiating committee, said via e-mail that "we are considering a proposal but nothing is definite."
They're considering a proposal? Considering? If I were Bettman or Daley, I'd quickly respond with, "We're considering canceling the season."

So the PA wanted to meet last night, their talking head shows up late without a proposal, they refuse to discuss the economic issues, and then cry about the league wasting their time. The league gives them one simple instruction...please bring a new proposal...preferably one that you haven't pulled out of your arse. Ya know, one where you actually ran the numbers.

And yet, these morons are only CONSIDERING making a proposal? I swear these guys must have been bounced on their parents' knees as babies and the ceiling was low. I see tomorrow going one of two ways.

1. Fehr shows up 1 hour late. No proposal. They want to discuss contracts. The league is frustrated and the meeting lasts 2 hours tops. Players go home and insult the league via twitter.

2. Fehr shows up 2 hours late with a proposal that is the same exact one from previous proposals...only he found himself a thesaurus and reworded it. The league gets frustrated and the meeting lasts 90 minutes. Players go home and insult the league via twitter.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
they just wanted to meet so they could show off their cool hats.

a bunch of friggin children.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:26 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
they just wanted to meet so they could show off their cool hats.

a bunch of friggin children.
My gosh. Those are fugly.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:15 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Don't know how many of you venture into the General board lockout thread but...

Must listen from former NHLPA head, Paul Kelly. Very depressing.

Favorite quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenixx View Post
I find it bemusing that the PA placed their livelihoods in the hands of a man who is going to throw something together overnight.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
11-20-2012, 09:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
super depressing. and yeah, it's a mark of how desperate i am that I didn't even stop to think "he's going to whip something out--a real proposal--in a day?" I guess I have to hope they have a real proposal already drawn up and just have to sprinkle glitter on it.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:04 PM
melinko

Lets say they strike a deal this week, think its still possible to start Dec. 1st?

I'm starting to think they wouldn't get everything squared away for a Dec. 1st start, think the 15th at the earliest.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:50 PM
grN1g

I don't understand why the PA chose to fire him? Seems like the right guy for the job cause he thinks about everything and everyone involved and seems to care about the sport and the fans.. so why wouldn't he be able to contribute on creating a solid deal for everyone, and thats fair as possible?

I wasn't a fan back in the last lockout so i really have no idea how everything went, but can anyone tell me if he wasn't really good... or players just didn't believe they would get the best deal possible with him?

just listening to that i felt like he would be a guy that can work with owners and gain that respect for each other that seems to be lacking.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:54 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
I don't understand why the PA chose to fire him? Seems like the right guy for the job cause he thinks about everything and everyone involved and seems to care about the sport and the fans.. so why wouldn't he be able to contribute on creating a solid deal for everyone, and thats fair as possible?

I wasn't a fan back in the last lockout so i really have no idea how everything went, but can anyone tell me if he wasn't really good... or players just didn't believe they would get the best deal possible with him?

just listening to that i felt like he would be a guy that can work with owners and gain that respect for each other that seems to be lacking.
Essentially it was a major power coup from within that resulted in a new PA head who was shortly thereafter evicted for misconduct. Kelly wasn't the head of the PA during the last lockout, he replaced Goodenow who "resigned" (extremely unlikely it was voluntary) after he botched the last work stoppage.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:28 AM
OpRedDawn*

so is anyone else drinking a ton more during this lockout? ugh it's depressing. At least the weather is nice... but idk how I'm gonna handle not having hockey when it's cold outside.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:34 AM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Here's two ways I think it'll go:

1) Fehr will show a powerpoint presentation. Here's the awesome part....it's going to have....SOUND EFFECTS!!!

2) He's going to have a new proposal written out....on napkins. NHL leaves after a record breaking 11 minute meeting.

Either way, if tomorrow goes to crap, I'd say the NHL season is done. And I put 80% of the blame on the NHLPA

Old
11-21-2012, 04:20 AM
forthewild

here is a thought, for a long time Fehr ran the MLB union and got his way a ton in regards to CBA and players getting a "free market"

anyone here want to put money on Ferhn thinking Bettman was going to be like Selig, so maybe Fehr has met his match and has no clue how to proceed with out "losing a cba"

Its sad to think that this whole fiasco could and should have been avoided, at the end of the day there will be a CBA but both parties better be able to justify it 100%, because if we end up with a CBA that was achievable in freaking august or September i'm going to be pissed

Old
11-21-2012, 10:42 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

We're also hearing the NHLPA proposal will work off a percentage of HRR -- as requested by NHL -- and not a guaranteed dollar amount.

We might be in business.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

From Bob McKenzie/Aaron Ward:

Quote:
We're hearing today's NHLPA proposal to NHL will include increasing the NHL's $211M Make Whole provision by another $180M.

In NYC for #CBA meetings. Early indication,NHLPA has made a significant move in the direction of the owners. #TSN

We're also hearing the NHLPA proposal will work off a percentage of HRR -- as requested by NHL -- and not a guaranteed dollar amount.

But what those percentages are, and whether the $180M increase in Make Whole acts as a guarantee of sorts, remains to be seen.
The PA seems to FINALLY be negotiating.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:44 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I'm a little hesitant because the PA has claimed to be making a linked proposal before, but that turned out to be their ridiculous fake delinked "50/50" offer.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I can live with Fehr's BS so long as they can reach an agreement and get the season started by Jan 1 and the new CBA is close to 10 years long.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I'm a little hesitant because the PA has claimed to be making a linked proposal before, but that turned out to be their ridiculous fake delinked "50/50" offer.
I'm worried that either they linked HRR and are stepping down to 50% by year five or some BS like that.

BUT if they are actually at 50% plus $400M in make whole...that's not terribly far apart. They were allegedly asking $600M for the make whole a couple weeks ago.

IF it's a legit 50/50 proposal that DID significantly move to the owners, you'd have to think Bettman's last game of chicken might have scared some of the players to call up their agents/reps/Fehr and get this thing going, right?

Still, there's the issue of whether or not the players want to be paid in full for this season, which could mean another several hundred million they are apart.

Really hoping for the best here. At least a basis for ongoing negotiations and not another hit and run BS proposal.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
In my mind, the season is already lost. So many players are already playing in other leagues, I'd be disappointed watching NHL hockey with those key players missing.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
In my mind, the season is already lost. So many players are already playing in other leagues, I'd be disappointed watching NHL hockey with those key players missing.
That's not how things work.

All the leagues that players have signed contracts in are governed by contract agreements with the NHL that mandate their return to any existing contracts in the NHL. While it's always questionable whether the KHL would enforce the agreement, players don't have the option to stay overseas if the lockout ends.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:53 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Crap no edit button, should say "transfer agreements" instead of contract agreements.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There aren't going to be any star players staying away from the NHL this season if it comes back.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:31 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

CBA meeting has ended. Fehr addressing media. #TSN

Old
11-21-2012, 11:32 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 475
Again, I am positively optimistic. It seems like they are finally in the ballpark to start really negotiating. We have movement from one side, both sides have to give some. I would think if today goes well, things could move quickly in the right direction once both parties know what they can give/take and still get the best deal possible.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Chris Johnson:

Quote:
Donald Fehr says sides are $182 million apart over the five-year deal.

The NHLPA expects a response from the NHL on the new proposal this afternoon.
*fingers crossed*

Closed Thread