HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Regular Season (4-7)

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 10:50 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Well Barkley is currently slipping in mock drafts.... available at 15-20 Take him?

Old
11-21-2012, 12:07 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Well Barkley is currently slipping in mock drafts.... available at 15-20 Take him?
Other than Carson Palmer (whose hasn't been anything spectacular), has a USC quarterback ever panned out?

I'd rather take a LB in the 1st round, and pick up a QB in the 2nd/3rd round.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:11 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Other than Carson Palmer (whose hasn't been anything spectacular), has a USC quarterback ever panned out?

I'd rather take a LB in the 1st round, and pick up a QB in the 2nd/3rd round.
Why does that matter? The school you come from does not directly affect how successful of an NFL player you will be. Maybe if they had the same coach/OC (and therefore the same system) it would be an argument, but now that has nothing to stand on.

That being said, I haven't even seen Barkley play a game so I have no idea what to think of him.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:01 AM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Why does that matter? The school you come from does not directly affect how successful of an NFL player you will be. Maybe if they had the same coach/OC (and therefore the same system) it would be an argument, but now that has nothing to stand on.

That being said, I haven't even seen Barkley play a game so I have no idea what to think of him.
Barkley is a smart accurate QB with an average arm (he can hit 20-35 easily but struggles with accuracy pass 40 yards). He has great awareness and anticipates throws . He'd be a good fit in Buffalo's offense (minus Fitz's ability to run)

Old
11-21-2012, 02:09 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

Because USC has played a pro style offense for like ever. At least since the Petey days. Lane was one of his guys. So i'm sure the scheme is similar. Having a pro style offense in college has its pros and cons. The pros would be you're ready for the NFL but the negative is Reggie Bush. Bush was so talented and made all those joke side to side runs. You can get away with it in college BECAUSE not every team is talented or as skilled. In the NFL even your **** teams have talent equal to yours, just not the right mix. The NFL is designed for every team to go .500

Our old friend Rob Johnson went to USC, nuff said!

Old
11-21-2012, 02:11 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

You have to know your location. In November-December/January it gets very cold and windy in these parts, not exactly the ideal conditions to throw all over the field, just saying. Something to consider.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Mergus

I want Nassib in the 2nd, but I'm afraid he won't be there. The guy can play. Syracuse is not a good team and he has carried them this season to bowl eligibility. He is also pretty darn clutch. Has some accuracy troubles, but has a good arm and is mobile.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:41 AM
johnjm22

Quote:

Well technically it doesn't matter, but history has a way of repeating itself.

Most of the top QB's in this draft aren't worth a 1st round pick, so a lot of them will still be available in the 2nd round.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:54 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Well technically it doesn't matter, but history has a way of repeating itself.

Most of the top QB's in this draft aren't worth a 1st round pick, so a lot of them will still be available in the 2nd round.
But are any of them guys you can point to and say "that's the guy who will QB this team for the next decade"??

We don't need to draft another JP Losman just because he was the 4th rated QB in his draft and hope we get lucky. If the top QBs don't look like franchise guys...then it doesn't matter when you take them, it'll be a wasted pick.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:13 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
But are any of them guys you can point to and say "that's the guy who will QB this team for the next decade"??

We don't need to draft another JP Losman just because he was the 4th rated QB in his draft and hope we get lucky. If the top QBs don't look like franchise guys...then it doesn't matter when you take them, it'll be a wasted pick.
That's just a call that management has to make. They've got to evaluate what's there, and decide whether or not they can develop one of these QB's into that franchise player. If not, then you have to use the pick on something else.

I'll say this though; Nix has created an environment that's much more conducive to developing a QB than what Losman/Edwards had. We've got a good O-Line, good RB, decent pass targets, and a veteran QB in place to help out.

Manuel, Murray, Dysert, Nassib, Jones, Bray and Glennon could all be options in the 2nd round. I'd imagine the scouting staff see's potential in at least one of them.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
buffalorules

wouldn't mind drafting Landry Jones in the 2nd round...

Old
11-21-2012, 04:01 PM
dma0034

Also this popped into my head.... what should the Bills do with McKelvin at the end of the year? Worth resigning?

Old
11-21-2012, 04:33 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus View Post
I want Nassib in the 2nd, but I'm afraid he won't be there. The guy can play. Syracuse is not a good team and he has carried them this season to bowl eligibility. He is also pretty darn clutch. Has some accuracy troubles, but has a good arm and is mobile.
Nassib just seems like another Fitzpatrick type to me.

Old
11-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Mergus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Nassib just seems like another Fitzpatrick type to me.
What about Nassib reminds you of Fitzpatrick?

Fitz
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=1259

Nassib
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...84/ryan-nassib

Fitz was a two year starter and only actually started one full season. His stats actually dropped in his second season (only a 57% completion percentage). Nassib on the other hand has improved every single season. Fitz was a running QB (400+ yards rushing both college seasons) while Nassib did it through the air (114 or less every season). Fitz' best season is worse than Nassib's first season. Nassib is likely a late 1st or early second round pick, while Fitz almost went undrafted. I guess I just don't see the similarities. Because Nassib can't launch a 70 yard pass consistently it means he is like Fitz?

He has surpassed a lot of this guys records at Syracuse in one fewer season....http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerRB.asp?id=2679

Yes he has consistency problems and doesn't have the greatest arm strength, but he also doesn't have to put everything into a throw to be effective like Fitz.

If he is a better version of Fitz, we'd have a pretty darn good QB to work with. Fitz isn't bad, he just isn't talented enough to be consistent. Nassib is naturally talented enough to succeed at the next level. He just has that "it" factor IMHO. I also don't think he'll struggle as much with the deep ball as Fitz does.

Last edited by Mergus: 11-21-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old
11-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

This is just hilarious. The Jets can't hold on to the ball AT ALL and it hops into the Pats hands EVERY time.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:51 PM
johnjm22

Love watching the Jets get embarrassed on national TV.

Their loss will move us up one spot in the standings.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:04 PM
kirby11

How is sanchez still in this game? an even better question, how did he destroy us earlier this year

Old
11-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Pats look really good tonight.

Old
11-23-2012, 04:46 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus View Post
What about Nassib reminds you of Fitzpatrick?

Fitz
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=1259

Nassib
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...84/ryan-nassib

Fitz was a two year starter and only actually started one full season. His stats actually dropped in his second season (only a 57% completion percentage). Nassib on the other hand has improved every single season. Fitz was a running QB (400+ yards rushing both college seasons) while Nassib did it through the air (114 or less every season). Fitz' best season is worse than Nassib's first season. Nassib is likely a late 1st or early second round pick, while Fitz almost went undrafted. I guess I just don't see the similarities. Because Nassib can't launch a 70 yard pass consistently it means he is like Fitz?

He has surpassed a lot of this guys records at Syracuse in one fewer season....http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerRB.asp?id=2679

Yes he has consistency problems and doesn't have the greatest arm strength, but he also doesn't have to put everything into a throw to be effective like Fitz.

If he is a better version of Fitz, we'd have a pretty darn good QB to work with. Fitz isn't bad, he just isn't talented enough to be consistent. Nassib is naturally talented enough to succeed at the next level. He just has that "it" factor IMHO. I also don't think he'll struggle as much with the deep ball as Fitz does.
I'm jumping on the Nassib bandwagon now. I especially like that he's from Pennsylvania so he's at least shown to be capable of playing in subpar weather whereas the majority of guys we've brought in for quarterback since Kelly have been West Coasters. Give him a year to sit behind Fitz and he should be able to contribute by 2014.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:19 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
I'm jumping on the Nassib bandwagon now. I especially like that he's from Pennsylvania so he's at least shown to be capable of playing in subpar weather whereas the majority of guys we've brought in for quarterback since Kelly have been West Coasters. Give him a year to sit behind Fitz and he should be able to contribute by 2014.
I may be a bit biased, but I prefer Glennon. He has a cannon for an arm, is quite accurate, and would be able to pick up the offense rather quickly. Give him that same year behind Fitz, and I think he would be the better option. However, some now have Glennon ahead of Barkley, and going in the first round.

Glennon's numbers would be even more scary this year if he had a single receiver who could catch the ball consistently.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:25 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I may be a bit biased, but I prefer Glennon. He has a cannon for an arm, is quite accurate, and would be able to pick up the offense rather quickly. Give him that same year behind Fitz, and I think he would be the better option. However, some now have Glennon ahead of Barkley, and going in the first round.

Glennon's numbers would be even more scary this year if he had a single receiver who could catch the ball consistently.
Offense would be different with Glennon compared to Fitzpatrick.... and Barkley would be a more natural fit for Gailey's offense (and the future dome stadium?)

Old
11-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post

Really? Where? I wouldn't mind Glennon at all but I'm not touching him with a 1st rounder. In fact, I'd rather not touch anybody in the first round. There's about 5-6 guys that I see relatively close in value, wouldn't mind just grabbing one of those guys in the 2nd or 3rd rather than reaching for one in the first.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:31 AM
dma0034

Pretty much Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are 1st Rounders and that may be it.... Everyone else seems to be going in the 2nd round.

So...... Fantasy Football.... start Cam Newton (Eagles) or Colin Kaepernick (Saints)?

Old
11-24-2012, 07:47 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Really? Where? I wouldn't mind Glennon at all but I'm not touching him with a 1st rounder. In fact, I'd rather not touch anybody in the first round. There's about 5-6 guys that I see relatively close in value, wouldn't mind just grabbing one of those guys in the 2nd or 3rd rather than reaching for one in the first.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...b-draft-boards

This is a good one... http://nflsfuture.com/2012/11/21/mik...on-film-study/

There's a couple others out there to look up. Glennon isn't a finished, NFL-ready quarterback, but he's probably closer than anyone else in the draft right now. A year behind Fitz should take care of that though. He also is used to a pro-style offense already.

Now, I agree that there are no sure-fire hits for quarterbacks in this year's draft. However, if I was going to pick one early, it would be Glennon. Unless, of course, we trade up (unlikely) and go for Gino Smith, who should be the first qb taken.

Last edited by BowieSabresFan: 11-24-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 10:49 PM
dma0034

Glennon in the second or third round is a possibly. But if the Bills are picking early they will not pass on Te'o or Jones

Closed Thread