Gary Lawless: Jets would have lost money if they spent to cap

Old
11-20-2012, 04:48 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Rich people don't get rich by tossing money around, or throwing money after bad money...it is a minor investment for somebody like Thomson, but he has made it perfectly clear that he anticipates the Jets to be a smart solid investment, not a money drain...not too mention he is only 50% owner, with the other 50% being Mark Chipman who cannot afford to throw money around on that level. Do not anticipate TNSE to treat these team as an expense.

I have no doubt we will follow a SJS/NSH type model...during lean rebuilding years we will be near the bottom on payroll, but we will spend when we have the team to spend. When it becomes time to rebuild again we will be cutting salary. The life of a mid market team...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I think the flaw in all of this thinking is that we are looking at the Winnipeg Jets as a separate entity. I don't believe that Thomson or Chipman do. They look at the Jets as an anchor for a much much larger investment in downtown Winnipeg. Having a healthy successful team that sells out every year spurs spending all over the SHED, in which they will be very invested. So, if they have a team that can compete for a championship but operates at a loss, they IMHO will accept that as a cost of feeding their bigger investment. They will look at the balance sheet of the total investment and as long as that is making money they will be satisfied.

As for the Leafs thing, there is really a big opportunity here for growth and investment for Thomson and I think that, coupled with personal affection for Winnipeg led Thomson to invest in the Jets and downtown Winnipeg.
Well said guys.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Red 5 standing by...

vCash: 949
If the Jets Make the Playoffs, (a byproduct of spending to the cap) They get so much more revenue

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
If the Jets Make the Playoffs, (a byproduct of spending to the cap) They get so much more revenue
Thanks tips

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
ask the leafs and habs how spending the cap has worked out for them

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:43 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I thought the Leafs were the only playoff undefeated team since the lockout

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:52 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Rich people don't get rich by tossing money around, or throwing money after bad money...it is a minor investment for somebody like Thomson, but he has made it perfectly clear that he anticipates the Jets to be a smart solid investment, not a money drain...not too mention he is only 50% owner, with the other 50% being Mark Chipman who cannot afford to throw money around on that level. Do not anticipate TNSE to treat these team as an expense.

I have no doubt we will follow a SJS/NSH type model...during lean rebuilding years we will be near the bottom on payroll, but we will spend when we have the team to spend. When it becomes time to rebuild again we will be cutting salary. The life of a mid market team...
I agree. And the Jets are not currently in a position to spend to the cap under the expired CBA. They just don't have the talent base to contend yet. But I would really like to see the day where they could spend to the cap and still make a profit on the team.

Nevermind all the other things people bring up about Chipman and Thomson being able to afford to lose money on the Jets. Both of them made it extremely clear when they bought the Jets they were doing it on a model to make a profit not as a charity for the City of Winnipeg. I for one I'm okay with this. Thomson probably makes a 100 X the profit on his real estate holdings and his other business ventures than he could ever hope to make on the Jets. I still don't expect him to be okay on losing money owning the Jets. With a fan base as fanatical as ours they should be able to operate at a profit, if not the system is extremely flawed.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:40 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

the cap is not meant for 15000 seat buildings with 50 luxury boxes in the smallest market in north american professional sports.

that being said, the definition of losing money is a very narrow one....it completely ignores all the ancillary revenue....i'd be surprised if TNSE only made $12m last year when all Jets related revenues are counted.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Red 5 standing by...

vCash: 949
Quote:
well in theory, there is always a few outlying results

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
dhfromkw

Just FYI guys, if the Jets had a lengthy playoff run, TNSE would not get all of the playoff ticket revenue. Some of it gets shared with the league.

Bottom line, it's not as big as you think.

dhfromkw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:52 AM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhfromkw View Post
Just FYI guys, if the Jets had a lengthy playoff run, TNSE would not get all of the playoff ticket revenue. Some of it gets shared with the league.

Bottom line, it's not as big as you think.
Seriously? I didn't know that. I can't believe that I've never heard that before on this board.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Hobble

Quote:
Yeah, but when you are spending that money on high-priced Kessel (he is good, but they gave up way too much for him), Komisarek, Phaneuf, Gomez, Markov (I know he is good, but perpetually injured), etc. That isn't really efficient use of money.

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 04:31 PM
hurricanedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
David Thomson is worth 23 billion dollars. He's the richest owner in all of sports. He could lose 50m every year for the rest of his life and not put a dent in his fortune. For these guys these teams are a plaything. When the time is right he'll spend and try to win.
Net Worth does not translate into actual available currency. He doesn't literally have a bank account of 23 billion dollars. If he were to sell off all his holdings that account for the 23 billion he would likely not receive that amount. Not to mention it is the Thomson family that is worth 23 billion, his brother and sisters included, and I am not certain how the value is divided among them.

hurricanedave is offline   Reply With Quote