HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
11-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
She was a native, nothing wrong with wanting to stay there, I just dont get off on people running a place down when they arnt taking everything into account. Just because its cold sometimes, or warm all the time doesnt make it good or bad! My point was she changed my way of thinking!
TBH most people that are from here aren't fans of the cold and their idea of cold is 60 degrees farenheit, throw her in even barely freezing weather and then see what she thinks That said I've been in Alberta up to -30 or so, it's a PITA to dress for the winter especially if you have little ones, however if you are born and raised there you think nothing of it, its just a way of life. That said if it came down to Edmonton or LA for example, I'd take Edmonton. Alberta is very clean and for the most part I like the people there. We have lots of Canadian and California transplants here and TBH I'm not a fan of a lot of the Cali ones. That said maybe California is just shipping their problem ones here!

11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

It doesn't matter why Schultz chose Edmonton, he did and it made sense to him. It just goes to show you that you can't pigeonhole every hockey player as wanting to play in a low pressure and warm climate. To each their own, I'm glad to have him on our club and hopefully he's happy with his decision.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
I think Schultz picked Edmonton because he sees them building on a youth movement, and one of the areas they lack was a perfect fit for him.
High scoring forward #1: Check
High scoring forward #2: Check
High scoring forward #3: Check
High scoring forward #4: Check
High scoring Dman : Help Wanted!

Oh, and there all like my age and we can hang out and stuff. The location didn't matter, he didn't pick Edmonton, he picked the Oilers.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
TBH most people that are from here aren't fans of the cold and their idea of cold is 60 degrees farenheit, throw her in even barely freezing weather and then see what she thinks That said I've been in Alberta up to -30 or so, it's a PITA to dress for the winter especially if you have little ones, however if you are born and raised there you think nothing of it, its just a way of life. That said if it came down to Edmonton or LA for example, I'd take Edmonton. Alberta is very clean and for the most part I like the people there. We have lots of Canadian and California transplants here and TBH I'm not a fan of a lot of the Cali ones. That said maybe California is just shipping their problem ones here!
All great points! Im no fan of Southern California, never been to San Diego though I have heard its different. Winter is beautiful, I just dont like how long it is so if you can get away for a month or so it suits me just fine! Last year I was gone for 10 weeks and it flew by. Hawaii is very beautiful by the way!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
All great points! Im no fan of Southern California, never been to San Diego though I have heard its different. Winter is beautiful, I just dont like how long it is so if you can get away for a month or so it suits me just fine! Last year I was gone for 10 weeks and it flew by. Hawaii is very beautiful by the way!
Agree people who havent seen the cold of other regions dont know what their in for.

Im from a small town in the rocky mountains and it has gone up to -40 there and below 0 weather begins in september pretty much.

Now ive moved to Vancouver for school, and im pretty sure the lowest its been is around 10 degrees and people have scarves and touques, mittens and heavy coats. All the while, since I never use to even wear a jacket unless it was below -5, just a hoody is fine for me.

Edit: So imagine having someone move from Vancouver to the rockies, they would likely have a tough time coping with it. And thats not even a big regional difference, imagine someone born and raised in some place like Florida or California, and moving to a place like Edmonton.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
It's easy to say that Schultz liked the direction the Oilers are headed in and he thought that putting himself in would put them in a great place. I'm calling the Oilers make the playoffs this year as at least 7th seed. Or when there is a season

Last edited by Bluesman91: 11-21-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:05 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
High scoring forward #1: Check
High scoring forward #2: Check
High scoring forward #3: Check
High scoring forward #4: Check
High scoring Dman : Help Wanted!

Oh, and there all like my age and we can hang out and stuff. The location didn't matter, he didn't pick Edmonton, he picked the Oilers.
Well he said he'd like to pick a Canadian team. He mostly picked the current Oilers but it's not like Edmonton and Oilers history (e.g. Gretzky/Coffey) didn't play a role.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:07 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
If it was a "hockey decision", then who in their right mind would go play for the Oilers. I could understand if he went to Vancouver, but come on, Edmonton is a worse franchise than Anaheim lol
Schultz is smart enough to see which teams are most likely to do well in the future

It should be fairly obvious given draft history. It's no guarantee but nothing ever is.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Schultz is smart enough to see which teams are most likely to do well in the future

It should be fairly obvious given draft history. It's no guarantee but nothing ever is.
Or he wanted to go to a team with no competition on defense so he could pump up his value playing on the 1st PP and prime ice time before cashing in on a humoungus contract after his ELC is up.

#BitterCanucksFan

Seriously though, he's a great player, and will likely be a core piece of the Oilers' blueline moving forward.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:27 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Or he wanted to go to a team with no competition on defense so he could pump up his value playing on the 1st PP and prime ice time before cashing in on a humoungus contract after his ELC is up.

#BitterCanucksFan

Seriously though, he's a great player, and will likely be a core piece of the Oilers' blueline moving forward.
Well I'm sure that factored in to his reasoning too. I could have seen him going to NYR to play with his former teammates but that defensive corps is pretty tough to crack.

I really hope he doesn't do that (I hope none of the Oilers young guys do that), but it's definitely a possibility.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Well he said he'd like to pick a Canadian team. He mostly picked the current Oilers but it's not like Edmonton and Oilers history (e.g. Gretzky/Coffey) didn't play a role.
The City of Edmonton was not a selling point. Just like the City of Ottawa was not a selling point that had them last until the end either.

It's clear Schultz' priority was hockey.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:27 AM
5cupstandard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbryoil View Post
i guess she hasn't lived here long then, we have 2 seasons, winter and construction.
fixed

5cupstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:30 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
The City of Edmonton was not a selling point. Just like the City of Ottawa was not a selling point that had them last until the end either.

Honestly, if you were Schultz wouldn't your focus be hitting your rookie bonuses? The bonuses are more than the base salary and that would be my focus.

On Edmonton he is basically going to be guaranteed #1 unit PP time which is the key to hitting a lot of the bonuses.

I believe that on Vancouver he would have also had a shot at getting #1 PP time as a RH defenseman (it's him or Bieksa but Bieksa is more valuable on the PK and in a shutdown role) which would have basically guaranteed him hitting his rookie bonuses.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Honestly, if you were Schultz wouldn't your focus be hitting your rookie bonuses? The bonuses are more than the base salary and that would be my focus.

On Edmonton he is basically going to be guaranteed #1 unit PP time which is the key to hitting a lot of the bonuses.

I believe that on Vancouver he would have also had a shot at getting #1 PP time as a RH defenseman (it's him or Bieksa but Bieksa is more valuable on the PK and in a shutdown role) which would have basically guaranteed him hitting his rookie bonuses.
Garrison would have gotten the spot. We didn't sign him to a 4.6 mil cap hit to stick him on the third pairing with no PP time. Garrison is basically our Salo replacement, and he'd make a really good one playing with Edler and the Sedins on the PP. I could see him putting up similar numbers this year.

I highly doubt Schultz would have gotten more than third pairing minutes in Vancouver, but in the long run I'd prefer if we made a better pitch to get Schultz. Hard to beat Gretzky, though.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:58 AM
canucksPK

Come on fellow Canucks fans, we're delusional to think that the Oilers won't be better than us in 5-6 years. Sadly hate to say it, we only have a few "good" years left, unless we magically evolve some first line talent to overtake the Sedins when they get too old.

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksPK View Post
Come on fellow Canucks fans, we're delusional to think that the Oilers won't be better than us in 5-6 years. Sadly hate to say it, we only have a few "good" years left, unless we magically evolve some first line talent to overtake the Sedins when they get too old.
With Steve Tambelini and Daryl Katz still in charge there is no guarantee.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Game 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravi83Oil View Post
Agree people who havent seen the cold of other regions dont know what their in for.

Im from a small town in the rocky mountains and it has gone up to -40 there and below 0 weather begins in september pretty much.

Now ive moved to Vancouver for school, and im pretty sure the lowest its been is around 10 degrees and people have scarves and touques, mittens and heavy coats. All the while, since I never use to even wear a jacket unless it was below -5, just a hoody is fine for me.

Edit: So imagine having someone move from Vancouver to the rockies, they would likely have a tough time coping with it. And thats not even a big regional difference, imagine someone born and raised in some place like Florida or California, and moving to a place like Edmonton.
Although the ambient temperature is one measure there are many other factors. I grew up in the Prairies the first time I went to Vancouver for a Grey-cup (this time of year) I froze. The humidity makes a huge difference so we were already used to -10C here but +5C in Vancouver felt way colder. We had to wear our down jackets and we thought we were going to a warm climate. Just saying!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:57 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:

I don't get why nobody wants to admit that some players may actually prefer cold, Canadian cities. The places being tossed out were Edmonton, Vancouver, New York, Toronto, etc...

Edmonton is a small market with an unfavourable climate, but there's a chance certain players might like the opportunity to play in a place that breathes hockey.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Kershaw

Schultz definitely has Letang-lite potential. Would be shocked if he isn't hitting those numbers in 2-3 years. Elite talent, elite prospect with good chance of being elite player.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Just realised after looking up stats, that at this pace, Schultz will be the first AHL d man to be PPG or higher since 2006 (stats only went up to 05/06), and that D man was a Veteran AHL'er.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:17 PM
mapleleaf979

Im blown away Schultz leads the AHL in scoring right now. Incredible for a first year Defenseman.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:33 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
and i own a rental condo in the beautiful Okanagan in BC, and just use the condo for 3 weeks a year in the summer...i choose to live in Alberta full time. yes, winter can suck, and the summers can be hot, but the quality of life here is fabulous!
Canadian perspective:
Anaheim region 8 months of the year.
- sit in your air conditioned house,
- get in your air conditioned car
- drive to your air conditioned work
- drive home in your air conditioned car
- sleep in your air conditioned house.

in alberta 8 months of the year
- sit in your heated house,
- get in your heated car
- drive to your heated work
- drive home in your heated car
- sleep in your heated house.

Pick your poison.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Canadian perspective:
Anaheim region 8 months of the year.
- sit in your air conditioned house,
- get in your air conditioned car
- drive to your air conditioned work
- drive home in your air conditioned car
- sleep in your air conditioned house.

in alberta 8 months of the year
- sit in your heated house,
- get in your heated car
- drive to your heated work
- drive home in your heated car
- sleep in your heated house.

Pick your poison.
You've never been to Anaheim, have you? It's not Death Valley. The temperature is mild.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:36 PM
DrSTaN

Edmonton isn't cold, try Winnipeg. We get the extreme cold. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Where in California can you go outside and play a game of pick up hockey? On ice.

DrSTaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSTaN View Post
Edmonton isn't cold, try Winnipeg. We get the extreme cold. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Where in California can you go outside and play a game of pick up hockey? On ice.
Meh. I can go to the beach in the morning and surf, and then drive a couple of miles and play ice hockey in the afternoon. This is the 21st century. We have indoor ice.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote