HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

* Official Home Theater Discussion (TV's, Receivers, DVD, Speakers) *

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2012, 10:35 PM
  #376
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
I'm amazed this thread is so slow.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:04 PM
  #377
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,534
vCash: 500
My selfmade home theater sign: (First I planned to do 6 smaller signs but decided to make just one bigger one with 4 signs in it)


Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:32 PM
  #378
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
Those look sweet! How'd you make them?

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:49 PM
  #379
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
I'm picking up a Mitsubishi 65" DLP to replace a very crappy Insignia 42" LCD tomorrow. Everything's almost done!

My setup will be:
65" WD65C9 TV
Marantz SR5006, Marantz Model 2270 for 2 channel and Sansui turntable
Energy RC70 fronts, RCLCR center, RC50 surrounds, RC10 front heights, S10.3 sub
PS3, Xbox 360 w/ HDDVD player, 09 Mac Mini, Directv HR22, Vulkano (Slingbox type thing)

I'd like to sell the RC50's and get 2 pairs of RCR dipole/bipoles if I can find them, and 2 better subs maybe from HSU or something. Then work on making everything look good.

Good lord, this is an addiction!

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:40 AM
  #380
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
Those look sweet! How'd you make them?
I found a web page that has good quality pics of signs... found this one still in my favourites: http://www.demo-world.eu/logos/ but there isn't much of logos anymore like there used to...but there is still something usefull. It took me back then couple of hours searching the web when I found the logos...these days there might be other good pages somewhere...just needs surfing time.

Then I ordered real photos of those pics.

Picked up a board/frame I didn't need and just entered 4 pics (little bit of cutting) on it plus placed the frame's own plastic cover on it. Quite easy work and didn't cost much and it's individual piece.


Last edited by Finnpin: 08-25-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:56 AM
  #381
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Anyone got a good tip on a good way to store DVDs and Blurays? I've got them on huge shelfs. I like it but I'm a bit tired of my cats running around on the shelfs throwing my movies on the floor hehe.

Got 500 or so movies and it's growing every week so if anyone knows where to get beautiful shelfs for movies or a way to make great ones yourself plz share

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:03 AM
  #382
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,534
vCash: 500
When I found this coffee table...I had to buy it...why? cause there is also space for your movies...doesn't fit much (about 54 blu-rays) in it but I pretty much try to use every space usefully to store my movies.


Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:37 AM
  #383
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
When I found this coffee table...I had to buy it...why? cause there is also space for your movies...doesn't fit much (about 54 blu-rays) in it but I pretty much try to use every space usefully to store my movies.

Those were some sweet tables, I already have an amazing table so I cant exchange it for that

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 05:32 PM
  #384
BeBen*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,997
vCash: 500
Quick question, my parents bought a Pioneer VSX 1022-k home theater and they have 5 speakers, i don't know **** about home theaters and neither do they

They can't get the 5 speakers working only the two pillar looking ones are working

Any ideas how to plug the speakers so they all work?

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
  #385
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Quick question, my parents bought a Pioneer VSX 1022-k home theater and they have 5 speakers, i don't know **** about home theaters and neither do they

They can't get the 5 speakers working only the two pillar looking ones are working

Any ideas how to plug the speakers so they all work?
it would be a menu thing on the receiver, as long as the speakers are connected right. Make sure those are right first. Go into the menu of the receiver, and see if there's a setting to change it from stereo to all channel/multi channel/surround. Usually, there's a button on the remote that'll do it too.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:02 PM
  #386
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Quick question, my parents bought a Pioneer VSX 1022-k home theater and they have 5 speakers, i don't know **** about home theaters and neither do they

They can't get the 5 speakers working only the two pillar looking ones are working

Any ideas how to plug the speakers so they all work?
Pioneer speakers were selling for pretty cheap on ebay... Probably stolen. That's all I know.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lg-bh642...tionPage=false

Is this any good ?

I assume the smaller speakers don't need cables ?

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 06:52 PM
  #387
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Pioneer speakers were selling for pretty cheap on ebay... Probably stolen. That's all I know.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lg-bh642...tionPage=false

Is this any good ?

I assume the smaller speakers don't need cables ?
You'll still need speaker wire for the surrounds.

No home theater stuff at the Walmarket is good. Yes, it's cheap, but it won't sound good. If I were you, I'd save up some money and go for something like this. Refurb is your friend.

Speakers/sub
Energy Take Classic 5.1
http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-spe...-33310963.html
The list price is $400, but I've seen them on sale often for $250. These are excellent speakers for the price.

Receiver
Denon makes good stuff. Stay away from Onkyo. I've heard their quality when down the drain lately.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Blu-Ray
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882676272
(Basically the cheapest one you can find)

This setup would be around $500, and would absolutely destroy the LG HTIB on a Biblical scale. One more thing, get one of those cheapy sound level meters from Radio Shack to calibrate the system. It makes a world of difference.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:57 PM
  #388
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
You'll still need speaker wire for the surrounds.

No home theater stuff at the Walmarket is good. Yes, it's cheap, but it won't sound good. If I were you, I'd save up some money and go for something like this. Refurb is your friend.

Speakers/sub
Energy Take Classic 5.1
http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-spe...-33310963.html
The list price is $400, but I've seen them on sale often for $250. These are excellent speakers for the price.

Receiver
Denon makes good stuff. Stay away from Onkyo. I've heard their quality when down the drain lately.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Blu-Ray
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882676272
(Basically the cheapest one you can find)

This setup would be around $500, and would absolutely destroy the LG HTIB on a Biblical scale. One more thing, get one of those cheapy sound level meters from Radio Shack to calibrate the system. It makes a world of difference.
Thanks, man!

I don't really need the blu-ray player. I've just been looking for surround/tower speakers and that came with both.

I'll definitely remember the sound level meter for calibration.

The receiver says it isn't sold outside the U.S.

Though, I'm not big into a sweet setup, just more or less a solid one that sounds nice. Doesn't have to blow people away, or deafen someone. Would be sweet, though.


Last edited by Analyzer: 10-05-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:38 PM
  #389
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,698
vCash: 500
I'm looking for a pair of high quality front main speakers, prob towers, primarily for music but also for movies, and a receiver of appropriate quality to drive them if the total budget for both is $5000.

Recommend me some setups?

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:33 PM
  #390
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
I'm looking for a pair of high quality front main speakers, prob towers, primarily for music but also for movies, and a receiver of appropriate quality to drive them if the total budget for both is $5000.

Recommend me some setups?
Need more info. For $5000, there's a ton of options.

Are you planning on this strictly being a 2.0 setup, or will you be looking at surround down the road?
How big is the room?
What sources will you be using? Turntable, SACD, iPod, PC, etc?
Will you be using a sub?

Here are some ideas

Preamp:
(analog only) Parasound 2100 $650
http://www.parasound.com/nc/2100.php

Amp:
Emotiva XPA-2 $680
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/.../products/xpa2

Speakers:
Atlantic Technologies AT-1 $3000
http://shop.atlantictechnology.com/p...0.0.0.0?pp=25&

Salk SongTowers $3500
http://www.salksound.com/songtower%2...%20pricing.htm

Go on AVSforum.com. It's a great site for advice.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:37 PM
  #391
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,859
vCash: 500
I've got a serious problem with my Sony Blu Ray player (BDV-E280) it simply won't play anything. It'll click 3 times and say NO DISC. I can't find a solution to it anywhere. It was playing fine 2 weeks ago.

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:06 PM
  #392
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
Need more info. For $5000, there's a ton of options.

Are you planning on this strictly being a 2.0 setup, or will you be looking at surround down the road?
Probably surround down the road. Not interested in paying the handsome 5 figure sum for a top end surround setup just now, though. I'll settle for a couple high-quality main towers for the time being.

Quote:
How big is the room?
Not all that big, it's an apartment, but I'm not really buying the gear for this space.

Quote:
What sources will you be using? Turntable, SACD, iPod, PC, etc?
PC or iPod.

Quote:
Will you be using a sub?
Probably, unless the towers have it built in.

Quote:
Here are some ideas

Preamp:
(analog only) Parasound 2100 $650
http://www.parasound.com/nc/2100.php

Amp:
Emotiva XPA-2 $680
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/.../products/xpa2

Speakers:
Atlantic Technologies AT-1 $3000
http://shop.atlantictechnology.com/p...0.0.0.0?pp=25&

Salk SongTowers $3500
http://www.salksound.com/songtower%2...%20pricing.htm

Go on AVSforum.com. It's a great site for advice.
ok, I'll take a look. thanks.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:18 AM
  #393
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique
 
The Gourmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,880
vCash: 500
My television screen is too zoomed in. The problem is, even when I zoom out, the little square is still too zoomed in. I'm not sure if I explained that well enough; can anyone help me?

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 07:27 PM
  #394
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
If anyone is interested in going from receivers to separates, check out Emotiva. They only sell direct, but their stuff is really damn good. A pre/pro plus an 80w x7 amp is about $1000. Five year warranty and 30 day demo period as well.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:04 PM
  #395
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,137
vCash: 500
Can't wait, Sony had a 56" 40k OLED TV at CES... me want....

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:02 AM
  #396
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,268
vCash: 1271
Am looking for a 40" 1080P LED TV at either Best Buy or Future Shop.

What's the best one???

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:33 PM
  #397
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Am looking for a 40" 1080P LED TV at either Best Buy or Future Shop.

What's the best one???
I don't know about specific models, but generally Samsung is good for LCD/LED, and Panasonic for plasmas. One thing though. Unless you're sitting really damn close to it, you won't need 1080p for a 40 inch. Save some loot and get 720p. You won't notice a difference at all. The reviews on Cnet are a good place to check.

Most importantly, get a calibration disc or use the THX optimizer (it's on a lot of DVDs like Indiana Jones, etc). They jack up the factory settings to look good under fluorescent lights in a big store, but at home you can make it look much better.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:26 AM
  #398
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
So weird, after working in a Home Theatre department for 8 months now. I actually understand most of what people are saying. I did learn something!

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
  #399
Freezerburn
Registered User
 
Freezerburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beamsville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,091
vCash: 500
Which would you buy or would you opt for something else?

Teac V-430X

Sony TC-FX2

Freezerburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:43 PM
  #400
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: IR with CBJ
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 500
I'm staying at my parents at the moment and was using their 32 inch Vizio for a few months and because of some family things I decided to stay for another four months, because of that I decided to get my new TV now instead of in a few months when I move. Needless to stay, going from a 32" to a 51" Samsung plasma is one giant leap. Got the newest model with no smart TV or 3D crap, with tax it was still under 700 which is cheaper than the 37" LCD I bought almost six years ago.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.