HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Roberto di Matteo sacked by Chelsea; Rafa Benitez hired

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2012, 03:20 AM
  #1
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 35,350
vCash: 500
Awards:
Roberto di Matteo sacked by Chelsea; Rafa Benitez hired

Thread title not a joke, I think this is absolutely beyond ridiculous and nearly to the point of self-parody on Chelsea's part, anyhow...

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-articl...erto-di-matteo

Have read on The Times website that they want to bring in Rafa Benitez for a year and re-evaluate then, I really hope they don't. Either they'd sack him in similar fashion to this after not getting their way, or he'd do a powerhouse job on them and get them in great form. Hopefully it's just someone else.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:26 AM
  #2
Edo
The Mightiest Club
 
Edo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vancouver
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 5,544
vCash: 500
I didn't think RDM was the right guy after the changes they made, but agreed, to sack him at this point is ridiculous.

Really shocking. Didn't think he'd be the first to go.

Edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:36 AM
  #3
premadonna
Registered User
 
premadonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,212
vCash: 500
Guardiola

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:59 AM
  #4
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 13,898
vCash: 500
I don't agree with the sacking and I'm not proud of this "culture" of sacking managers when things look shaky by any stretch of the imagination.

Can't say that I am completely shocked though, for several reasons:

- It's the same case with AVB last year. Chelsea's CL place was in jeopardy, AVB seemed to have lost control of his team, his selection policy was BS, they were doing poor in all competitions.

- It took sometime for RDM to be hired full-time. I'm sure he wasn't Chelsea's first choice. At the end they probably ran out of options and since he led the team to the CL (which is an incredible achievement) they gave him a chance.

- Two-year deal. Anticipating an early departure? Learning from past experiences by not giving managers huge contracts?

I respect RDM for how he turned this team around and won the CL, but I don't think his philosophy fit the way Chelsea wanted to play.

I've seen rumors of Benitez too. Probably a short-term role until the summer. If it works out, he gets hired and we can do this all over again next year or I'd see Guardiola as the favorite. Redknapp and even Mourinho have come up according to Sky Sports.

That's what you get with a fickle-minded owner. And he has that right unfortunately. Oh well.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:10 AM
  #5
metric
Registered User
 
metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,566
vCash: 500
Can't see why Guardiola would ever have interest in managing Chelsea with Abramovich's track record.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:23 AM
  #6
ck26
Alcoholab User
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 10,060
vCash: 141
Why would any manager want the Chelsea job?

Embarrassing.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:32 AM
  #7
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 33,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I don't agree with the sacking and I'm not proud of this "culture" of sacking managers when things look shaky by any stretch of the imagination.

Can't say that I am completely shocked though, for several reasons:

- It's the same case with AVB last year. Chelsea's CL place was in jeopardy, AVB seemed to have lost control of his team, his selection policy was BS, they were doing poor in all competitions.

- It took sometime for RDM to be hired full-time. I'm sure he wasn't Chelsea's first choice. At the end they probably ran out of options and since he led the team to the CL (which is an incredible achievement) they gave him a chance.

- Two-year deal. Anticipating an early departure? Learning from past experiences by not giving managers huge contracts?

I respect RDM for how he turned this team around and won the CL, but I don't think his philosophy fit the way Chelsea wanted to play.

I've seen rumors of Benitez too. Probably a short-term role until the summer. If it works out, he gets hired and we can do this all over again next year or I'd see Guardiola as the favorite. Redknapp and even Mourinho have come up according to Sky Sports.

That's what you get with a fickle-minded owner. And he has that right unfortunately. Oh well.
Blanc once was on their shortlist. No idea if that holds any validity or not though.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:35 AM
  #8
spintheblackcircle
$$$$$$$$
 
spintheblackcircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,459
vCash: 500
Soccer is so dumb sometimes, so rash.

__________________
Changes come. Keep your dignity. Take the high road. Take it like a man.
spintheblackcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:36 AM
  #9
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 69,176
vCash: 50
I walked home via the bridge and reporters were doing interviews with some blues faithful and the fans are not happy. They are getting tired of the revolving door of managers

__________________
**Avatar approved by the powers that be***
jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:52 AM
  #10
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Clearing the path for AVB's return, obviously.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:54 AM
  #11
XO
Registered User
 
XO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,221
vCash: 500
This is just too funny

I seriously doubt Guardiola will go to Chelsea

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:17 AM
  #12
Corey Perry*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,526
vCash: 500
Sucks for RDM.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:27 AM
  #13
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
I can see why.

He only won Champions League and Chelsea are only placed 3rd in premier league. Not to mention that they lost against such a weak team as Juventus

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:55 AM
  #14
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 13,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Blanc once was on their shortlist. No idea if that holds any validity or not though.
They need a manager with experience but also who can handle volatile egos and doesn't bottle under pressure of certain players. RDM was never that guy. I didn't see him as someone who was good at man management, just like AVB. He's simply a coach.

They need someone like SAF who won't hold back from giving the hairdryer treatment. Someone who gets respect from everyone. If they don't, they can enjoy time on the bench.

I also blame certain players who just have a poor attitude on and off the pitch. Who think they are bigger than the club. Someone like Torres.

What a shambles. I can't wait for the day this club can get some sense of stability.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:59 AM
  #15
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 13,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
I can see why.

He only won Champions League and Chelsea are only placed 3rd in premier league. Not to mention that they lost against such a weak team as Juventus
One game away from being the first CL champions to be eliminated in the group stage, dropping from 1st to 3rd after some piss poor performances (players and managers should be blamed) and losing in such a despicable manner last night was probably the last straw. I'm playing devil's advocate here, these arguments aren't justified or fair to RDM, but when you put out a showing like that in Turin on the European stage after a poor run, something has to happen. Not sack the manager, but something.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:04 AM
  #16
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 88,021
vCash: 50
Joke of a club.

Should've given him until January at least.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:20 AM
  #17
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13,377
vCash: 500
RDM was not their man in the 1st place, he was supposed to be an interim coach but was kept in his place because he did well in the champions league last year. I'm not surprised he wasnt given any margin, but this sacking is still ********, even more reason to hate on chelski. They still need a CM and a striker.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:46 AM
  #18
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 12,828
vCash: 868
The only criticism I have of the decision is the timing; it doesn't make much sense to sack him ahead of the Manchester City game. If he had won that, then things aren't bad despite the Champions League situation.

On RDM, he wasn't the right man for a number of reasons. One of the main reasons is that he doesn't have any real authority to make major decisions, sadly the same as AVB last season. The next manager is going to be in the same position though, they want Pep and he has apparently made it clear to them that he will see out his sabbatical. If Guardiola does get the job, then what he demands will happen. If he wants investment in certain areas, he'll get it. But more importantly, if he wants ageing, over-rated, egotistical idiots gone then that is exactly what will happen.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:00 AM
  #19
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 20,935
vCash: 300
I'm not surprised but then again I am. CFC shouldn't settle for mediocrity but they really don't do themselves any favours by changing philosophy every ********* year. RDM over-achieved, that much is clear, and he's not a top manager or a top tactician but unless the next guy in is going to bring something different I doubt anything is going to change.

Chelsea are a big, big ship you can't just turn it around - AVB lost control precisely because of that and RDM succeeded because he let the ship run its natural course (and got massively lucky). Rafa would be alright if only to get Torres firing again and some defensive play in order - I would keep him away from ever making a purchase though.

How about Hiddink?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:08 AM
  #20
ck26
Alcoholab User
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 10,060
vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm not surprised but then again I am. CFC shouldn't settle for mediocrity but they really don't do themselves any favours by changing philosophy every ********* year. RDM over-achieved, that much is clear, and he's not a top manager or a top tactician but unless the next guy in is going to bring something different I doubt anything is going to change.

Chelsea are a big, big ship you can't just turn it around - AVB lost control precisely because of that and RDM succeeded because he let the ship run its natural course (and got massively lucky). Rafa would be alright if only to get Torres firing again and some defensive play in order - I would keep him away from ever making a purchase though.

How about Hiddink?
Didn't Hiddink already have the job a couple years ago?

Dumbest part about firing a manager in November is that nobody good is free. If Guardiola isn't already signed, he can hold Abramovich hostage for any amount of money he'd like at this point.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:28 AM
  #21
HajdukSplit
Registered User
 
HajdukSplit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NJ
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,613
vCash: 100
not surprised nor did I think RDM was the right man for the job, the CL victory was pure luck. Though I do feel bad for him, one bad run cost him his job when they are still within EPL title contention and even CL contention

Hiddink is with Anzhi where he is probably making a fortune

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:39 AM
  #22
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago area
Country: United States
Posts: 23,515
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Joke of a club.


Don't they realize that they'll never get anyone 'big' again if they keep doing this?

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:45 AM
  #23
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 35,448
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by revoluutio View Post
Guardiola
He will be coming to Milan

As for the firing of Di Matteo, pretty ridiculous but what else to expect from that owner

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:56 AM
  #24
mightyquack
Moderator
Everybody panic
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,866
vCash: 500
Sacking him on the verge of your match with the table leaders. Bravo.

**** club, **** owner etc

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:00 AM
  #25
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,827
vCash: 500
This is the first season I've paid attention to the EPL, but this seems ... odd.
3rd in the league? Wow.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.