Old
11-21-2012, 03:20 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

vCash: 500
Awards:
Roberto di Matteo sacked by Chelsea; Rafa Benitez hired

Thread title not a joke, I think this is absolutely beyond ridiculous and nearly to the point of self-parody on Chelsea's part, anyhow...

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-articl...erto-di-matteo

Have read on The Times website that they want to bring in Rafa Benitez for a year and re-evaluate then, I really hope they don't. Either they'd sack him in similar fashion to this after not getting their way, or he'd do a powerhouse job on them and get them in great form. Hopefully it's just someone else.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Edo
The Mightiest Club

I didn't think RDM was the right guy after the changes they made, but agreed, to sack him at this point is ridiculous.

Really shocking. Didn't think he'd be the first to go.

Edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:36 AM
premadonna

Guardiola

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:59 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

I don't agree with the sacking and I'm not proud of this "culture" of sacking managers when things look shaky by any stretch of the imagination.

Can't say that I am completely shocked though, for several reasons:

- It's the same case with AVB last year. Chelsea's CL place was in jeopardy, AVB seemed to have lost control of his team, his selection policy was BS, they were doing poor in all competitions.

- It took sometime for RDM to be hired full-time. I'm sure he wasn't Chelsea's first choice. At the end they probably ran out of options and since he led the team to the CL (which is an incredible achievement) they gave him a chance.

- Two-year deal. Anticipating an early departure? Learning from past experiences by not giving managers huge contracts?

I respect RDM for how he turned this team around and won the CL, but I don't think his philosophy fit the way Chelsea wanted to play.

I've seen rumors of Benitez too. Probably a short-term role until the summer. If it works out, he gets hired and we can do this all over again next year or I'd see Guardiola as the favorite. Redknapp and even Mourinho have come up according to Sky Sports.

That's what you get with a fickle-minded owner. And he has that right unfortunately. Oh well.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:10 AM
metric

Can't see why Guardiola would ever have interest in managing Chelsea with Abramovich's track record.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:23 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
Why would any manager want the Chelsea job?

Embarrassing.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:32 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I don't agree with the sacking and I'm not proud of this "culture" of sacking managers when things look shaky by any stretch of the imagination.

Can't say that I am completely shocked though, for several reasons:

- It's the same case with AVB last year. Chelsea's CL place was in jeopardy, AVB seemed to have lost control of his team, his selection policy was BS, they were doing poor in all competitions.

- It took sometime for RDM to be hired full-time. I'm sure he wasn't Chelsea's first choice. At the end they probably ran out of options and since he led the team to the CL (which is an incredible achievement) they gave him a chance.

- Two-year deal. Anticipating an early departure? Learning from past experiences by not giving managers huge contracts?

I respect RDM for how he turned this team around and won the CL, but I don't think his philosophy fit the way Chelsea wanted to play.

I've seen rumors of Benitez too. Probably a short-term role until the summer. If it works out, he gets hired and we can do this all over again next year or I'd see Guardiola as the favorite. Redknapp and even Mourinho have come up according to Sky Sports.

That's what you get with a fickle-minded owner. And he has that right unfortunately. Oh well.
Blanc once was on their shortlist. No idea if that holds any validity or not though.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:35 AM
spintheblackcircle
$$$$$$$$

Soccer is so dumb sometimes, so rash.

11-21-2012, 04:36 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
I walked home via the bridge and reporters were doing interviews with some blues faithful and the fans are not happy. They are getting tired of the revolving door of managers

11-21-2012, 04:52 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Clearing the path for AVB's return, obviously.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:54 AM
XO

This is just too funny

I seriously doubt Guardiola will go to Chelsea

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:17 AM
Corey Perry*

Sucks for RDM.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Everlasting

I can see why.

He only won Champions League and Chelsea are only placed 3rd in premier league. Not to mention that they lost against such a weak team as Juventus

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:55 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Blanc once was on their shortlist. No idea if that holds any validity or not though.
They need a manager with experience but also who can handle volatile egos and doesn't bottle under pressure of certain players. RDM was never that guy. I didn't see him as someone who was good at man management, just like AVB. He's simply a coach.

They need someone like SAF who won't hold back from giving the hairdryer treatment. Someone who gets respect from everyone. If they don't, they can enjoy time on the bench.

I also blame certain players who just have a poor attitude on and off the pitch. Who think they are bigger than the club. Someone like Torres.

What a shambles. I can't wait for the day this club can get some sense of stability.

Old
11-21-2012, 05:59 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
I can see why.

He only won Champions League and Chelsea are only placed 3rd in premier league. Not to mention that they lost against such a weak team as Juventus
One game away from being the first CL champions to be eliminated in the group stage, dropping from 1st to 3rd after some piss poor performances (players and managers should be blamed) and losing in such a despicable manner last night was probably the last straw. I'm playing devil's advocate here, these arguments aren't justified or fair to RDM, but when you put out a showing like that in Turin on the European stage after a poor run, something has to happen. Not sack the manager, but something.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Joke of a club.

Should've given him until January at least.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Captain Saku

RDM was not their man in the 1st place, he was supposed to be an interim coach but was kept in his place because he did well in the champions league last year. I'm not surprised he wasnt given any margin, but this sacking is still ********, even more reason to hate on chelski. They still need a CM and a striker.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
The only criticism I have of the decision is the timing; it doesn't make much sense to sack him ahead of the Manchester City game. If he had won that, then things aren't bad despite the Champions League situation.

On RDM, he wasn't the right man for a number of reasons. One of the main reasons is that he doesn't have any real authority to make major decisions, sadly the same as AVB last season. The next manager is going to be in the same position though, they want Pep and he has apparently made it clear to them that he will see out his sabbatical. If Guardiola does get the job, then what he demands will happen. If he wants investment in certain areas, he'll get it. But more importantly, if he wants ageing, over-rated, egotistical idiots gone then that is exactly what will happen.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:00 AM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

vCash: 300
I'm not surprised but then again I am. CFC shouldn't settle for mediocrity but they really don't do themselves any favours by changing philosophy every ********* year. RDM over-achieved, that much is clear, and he's not a top manager or a top tactician but unless the next guy in is going to bring something different I doubt anything is going to change.

Chelsea are a big, big ship you can't just turn it around - AVB lost control precisely because of that and RDM succeeded because he let the ship run its natural course (and got massively lucky). Rafa would be alright if only to get Torres firing again and some defensive play in order - I would keep him away from ever making a purchase though.

How about Hiddink?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:08 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm not surprised but then again I am. CFC shouldn't settle for mediocrity but they really don't do themselves any favours by changing philosophy every ********* year. RDM over-achieved, that much is clear, and he's not a top manager or a top tactician but unless the next guy in is going to bring something different I doubt anything is going to change.

Chelsea are a big, big ship you can't just turn it around - AVB lost control precisely because of that and RDM succeeded because he let the ship run its natural course (and got massively lucky). Rafa would be alright if only to get Torres firing again and some defensive play in order - I would keep him away from ever making a purchase though.

How about Hiddink?
Didn't Hiddink already have the job a couple years ago?

Dumbest part about firing a manager in November is that nobody good is free. If Guardiola isn't already signed, he can hold Abramovich hostage for any amount of money he'd like at this point.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:28 AM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
not surprised nor did I think RDM was the right man for the job, the CL victory was pure luck. Though I do feel bad for him, one bad run cost him his job when they are still within EPL title contention and even CL contention

Hiddink is with Anzhi where he is probably making a fortune

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:39 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Joke of a club.

Don't they realize that they'll never get anyone 'big' again if they keep doing this?

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by revoluutio View Post
Guardiola
He will be coming to Milan

As for the firing of Di Matteo, pretty ridiculous but what else to expect from that owner

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:56 AM
mightyquack
Everybody panic

Sacking him on the verge of your match with the table leaders. Bravo.

**** club, **** owner etc

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:00 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

This is the first season I've paid attention to the EPL, but this seems ... odd.
3rd in the league? Wow.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote