HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick White: Late Bloomer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-20-2012, 09:10 PM
  #26
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,370
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
Has anybody gone back and looked at the rest of the draft. There are an unusually high amounts of busts/future busts.
To defend it a little I thought Ottawa was interested in White as well, though considering they passed on Kopitar same as us to draft Brian Lee...

But either way, Perron was the consensus pick at that time by all experts whether they be on the couch or in the media, and 9/10 GM's probably would have taken him.

Edit: Actually I'm probably grossly over exaggerating on Perron here, but he would still be the majority decision and a definite Gillis pick.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:14 PM
  #27
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,762
vCash: 500
He currently has 13 points in 18 games... in Bundesliga 2. He'll be lucky if he gets a roster spot in the top German league, he won't even sniff the AHL.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:17 PM
  #28
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,633
vCash: 500
If Perron hadn't been injured the difference in numbers would be staggering.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:27 PM
  #29
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,058
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
If Perron hadn't been injured the difference in numbers would be staggering.
Fun fact: David Perron had 83 points in 70 games with Lewiston in 2006-07. A big reason they made the Memorial Cup.

Somebody want to tell me why we didn't draft him?

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:32 PM
  #30
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Fun fact: David Perron had 83 points in 70 games with Lewiston in 2006-07. A big reason they made the Memorial Cup.

Somebody want to tell me why we didn't draft him?
He did it a year after his initial draft year. Still, no idea why he wasn't the obvious pick. It seemed obvious to everyone else, especially Van fans who had a chance to watch him.

BTW, that was 45 points less than the scoring leader, a guy toiling in the AHL.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:32 PM
  #31
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I still want Delorme fired. Preferably out of a cannon. Into a brick wall.


I did not like this joke.








AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:36 PM
  #32
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I still want Delorme fired. Preferably out of a cannon. Into a brick wall.
Wouldn't be too tough to make a case that he has done more damage to the Canucks than any other human being.

Loved him on the ice, though.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:53 PM
  #33
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
Based on what did he get picked in the first round for? His college numbers were nothing to special.
He was drafted out of High School.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
Has anybody gone back and looked at the rest of the draft. There are an unusually high amounts of busts/future busts.
Yes, and we narrowly missed one of the only good players from that draft.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:15 PM
  #34
blueschooler
Registered User
 
blueschooler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
I still don't understand how they didn't pick Perron. I remember just sitting there wondering how dumb Nonis could be. I was only 13 at the time too.

blueschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:38 PM
  #35
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
He was drafted out of High School.




Yes, and we narrowly missed one of the only good players from that draft.
IIRC White also had 8 goals in like 10 Ushl games.

Classic Canucks to take a guy with good production on a tiny sample (Honzik and Grenier too).

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:55 PM
  #36
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
IIRC White also had 8 goals in like 10 Ushl games.

Classic Canucks to take a guy with good production on a tiny sample (Honzik and Grenier too).
Yeah, after coming up from the HS leagues where he was a good goal scorer.

If they are going to go off tiny sample, at least do one season + playoffs (and subsequently the Memorial Cup).

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:11 PM
  #37
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Sure he can score in a German league, try him in the SEL, then we'll talk.
Byron "power play quarterback specialist" Ritchie led his team Modo (SEL) in points a couple seasons ago by a fair margin (2010-11 season).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:16 PM
  #38
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Somewhat mildly amusing fact. In his 16-17 year old season Nicklas Jensen put up the same PPG that White is currently doing, in a better league.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:54 AM
  #39
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,588
vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Damn, I was really, really wrong about White. Going back through that thread would be too painful. OTOH, I also thought Ryan Bonni would be a full-time NHL player, so my eye for talent is pretty crappy.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:03 AM
  #40
jigsaw99
Registered User
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
ah... Nonis... worse GM of all time. Remember his plan in the off season is to bring in Fabian Brunnstrom.. and than he got fired. lol.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:19 AM
  #41
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,505
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
ah... Nonis... worse GM of all time. Remember his plan in the off season is to bring in Fabian Brunnstrom.. and than he got fired. lol.
I remember the craze about Brunnstrom though, and almost every team wanting him. What a player he turned out to be. But hey, at least he got some NHL goals unlike White.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:28 AM
  #42
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,033
vCash: 250
^ Eh, at least Brunnstrom's already scored more goals than White ever will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgreen View Post
I still don't understand how they didn't pick Perron. I remember just sitting there wondering how dumb Nonis could be. I was only 13 at the time too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
IIRC White also had 8 goals in like 10 Ushl games.

Classic Canucks to take a guy with good production on a tiny sample (Honzik and Grenier too).
Now that you put it that way...

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:30 AM
  #43
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,033
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Wouldn't be too tough to make a case that he has done more damage to the Canucks than any other human being.
That's freaking depressing when you put it like that. And it may well be true. We need an official track record of his scouting and petition MG to get this guy outta here.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:36 AM
  #44
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,681
vCash: 500
There were alot of Canuck fan boys jumping to the defence of Nonis and Delorme that draft. A real schism between those of us who hated every last pick and the apologists that just wanted to believe in Delorme. He's terrible and should have been fired long before that draft. The Canucks scouting record in the WHL is the worst in the NHL hands down.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:50 AM
  #45
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I remember the craze about Brunnstrom though, and almost every team wanting him. What a player he turned out to be. But hey, at least he got some NHL goals unlike White.
Brunnstrom was like a free 2nd or 3rd round draft pick though, that's why teams were all over him. The Dallas Stars and Nonis it seems were the only ones desperate enough to promise him top 6 ice time. If he was willing to pay his dues in the AHL, he may have worked out and may have had a better development curve, but promising top 6 ice time was a mistake in hindsight.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:55 AM
  #46
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,681
vCash: 500
God what a awful piece of foreshadow from this thread:

Um, what's your point here? Do you have some kind of guarantee that Hansen, Bourdon, Schneider, etc. won't get hurt or start doing coke or something? It doesn't matter *WHY* the person busts, just that they were thought to make an impact, and did not. Be it because of injuries, "personal demons," or general ineffectiveness. That's exactly why it's idiotic to call Bourdon (or anyone) a "lock." Maybe Luc gets hit by a truck tomorrrow. Who knows
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=392738

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:25 AM
  #47
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=391583

The falling sky posts were gold...

...and spot on.
... but more luck than anything.

Nobody here had seen a single shift White had played. People were upset because they hadn't heard of him while they'd just watched Perron play at the Memorial Cup in Vancouver. There would have been the exact same reaction if we'd taken Brendan Smith, and Smith is going to be an absolute stud for Detroit ... but nobody had really heard of him much at the time either.

TJ Oshie was taken the previous year with an absolutely identical resume to White's on paper - dominated HS hockey, decent in a small sample in the USHL - and has obviously turned into a very good player. So did Alex Edler who we took as a guy not rated by CSS and playing in a beer league.

Did the scouting on White suck? Ultimately, yeah, it did. But anyone saying they 'knew it at the time' is full of crap. Nobody knew a thing.

Ellington is a different story - lots of people here had seen him play lots of times and knew immediately that that was an awful pick.

Funny thing on White is that he's one of the only major warts on our recent US scouting record, where we've actually been quite successful.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
  #48
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,370
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
... but more luck than anything.

Nobody here had seen a single shift White had played. People were upset because they hadn't heard of him while they'd just watched Perron play at the Memorial Cup in Vancouver. There would have been the exact same reaction if we'd taken Brendan Smith, and Smith is going to be an absolute stud for Detroit ... but nobody had really heard of him much at the time either.

TJ Oshie was taken the previous year with an absolutely identical resume to White's on paper - dominated HS hockey, decent in a small sample in the USHL - and has obviously turned into a very good player. So did Alex Edler who we took as a guy not rated by CSS and playing in a beer league.

Did the scouting on White suck? Ultimately, yeah, it did. But anyone saying they 'knew it at the time' is full of crap. Nobody knew a thing.

Ellington is a different story - lots of people here had seen him play lots of times and knew immediately that that was an awful pick.

Funny thing on White is that he's one of the only major warts on our recent US scouting record, where we've actually been quite successful.
That was the key part to any optimism, no one knew who this guy was but at the very least our US scouts usually did a good job (Umberger, Kesler, Schneider). When we picked Ellington next out of the WHL though everyone knew that was going to be a bad pick

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:44 PM
  #49
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Damn, I was really, really wrong about White. Going back through that thread would be too painful. OTOH, I also thought Ryan Bonni would be a full-time NHL player, so my eye for talent is pretty crappy.
Did you actually see White play hockey?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:36 PM
  #50
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I still want Delorme fired. Preferably out of a cannon. Into a brick wall.
With the talent he missed over all those drafts, i wouldn't surprised if he missed the wall entirely and somehow survived.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.