HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 03:26 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Conference Quarterfinals(First Round) in 6 games
(3)Toronto Maple Leafs™ vs. (6)Ottawa Senators™

Conference Quarterfinals(First Round) in 4 games
(2)Ottawa Senators™ vs. (7)Toronto Maple Leafs

Conference Semifinals(Second Round) in 7 games
(4)Toronto Maple Leafs™ vs. (7)Ottawa Senators™

Conference Quarterfinals(First Round) in 7 games
(4)Toronto Maple Leafs™ vs. (5)Ottawa Senators™

I still only see one "choke" (in 2001). In all the other series, I see an underdog taking the higher seeded (and thus favoured) team to a long series (with two going the distance) before losing.

There are too many people that drank the Toronto centered media kool-aid about how the scrappy Leafs overcame the highpowered Senators, but the Leafs were a better team according to the regular season.
And that series that the Senators "choked" was all about Yashin quitting on the team. When your alleged best player decides he doesn't want to do anything since he's received all the money from his contract, it's a tough thing to overcome.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:43 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flower View Post
I wouldn't neccessarily call it a choke job, but when you lose to a provincial rival in the playoffs 4 times in 5 years, right or wrong, it's hard not to cast judgement on the players involved.

In addition, there was an undeniable trickle down affect to those losses. As mentioned earlier, both the media and fans alike labeled the team as soft and management made it a point to try and correct this "problem" on the fly. Players like Ruutu, McGrattan, Donovon, Foligno, Smith, and Varada were either signed or drafted to try and compensate for this issue.
Ottawa was playing the Leafs the beloved of HNIC and 3/4 of the sports media.
No matter how it played out, the Leafs were the plucky little heroes.

Jacques Martin for the most part didn't want the team to retaliate and pick up penalties, but to take advantage of penalties called to the other team. Pat Quinn's great talent was playing the refs.

There wasn't enough money to bring in high powered help most of those years, the Leafs had one of the biggest payrolls in the league and the Sens one of the lowest.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:50 PM
The Flower
Feel Aflie's Wrath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Jacques Martin for the most part didn't want the team to retaliate and pick up penalties, but to take advantage of penalties called to the other team. Pat Quinn's great talent was playing the refs.
Not a bad strategy to adopt, especially when you have Cujo and Belfour bailing you out when the calls don't go your way. I don't think the better team won during that span, but the smarter team definitely did!

Old
11-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Lets get back to Zibanejad.

Old
11-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Carrie Underwood

I agree. Zibby for goal # 2 today!

Old
11-19-2012, 09:11 AM
sg58

Missed the weekend games. Aside from having 1 goal now, any difference in performance?

Old
11-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Missed the weekend games. Aside from having 1 goal now, any difference in performance?
i thought he looked better overall. more comfortable? he's back at center and was playing with petersson i think most of the time. thought petersson looked better too, so maybe that's a good combo they can work with.
Z got some more chances, one post i think at the beginning of last game that could have easily been his #2. He just needs to keep playing like that and they will start going in for sure.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
This one goal turned him from a concussion prone bust into Marian Hossa. I haven't even been watching the games but its obvious

Old
11-19-2012, 11:36 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
This one goal turned him from a concussion prone bust into Marian Hossa. I haven't even been watching the games but its obvious
I couldn't have put it more eloquently.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:18 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
He plays a more physical game than Marian. He'll be Hossa with an edge.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:47 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
You're spoiling us.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
You're spoiling us.
He's joking with us

Old
11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
I wouldn't neccessarily call it a choke job, but when you lose to a provincial rival in the playoffs 4 times in 5 years, right or wrong, it's hard not to cast judgement on the players involved.

In addition, there was an undeniable trickle down affect to those losses. As mentioned earlier, both the media and fans alike labeled the team as soft and management made it a point to try and correct this "problem" on the fly. Players like Ruutu, McGrattan, Donovon, Foligno, Smith, and Varada were either signed or drafted to try and compensate for this issue.
You specifically said dominated. We were dominated in a single series of the four. Perpetuating the myth that we were dominated by an underdog Leafs team just continues the cycle of ignorance.

The original point is really irrelevant to whether you believe we were dominated or not. The original point is simply false by its own right; player x was on a team that lost, therefore player x must suck. Hossa doesn't suck, and if Zibby pans out to be another Hossa, it'll be a huge win for the organization.

Quote:
Not a bad strategy to adopt, especially when you have Cujo and Belfour bailing you out when the calls don't go your way. I don't think the better team won during that span, but the smarter team definitely did!
It wasn't a smart strategy because of their goalies, it was a smart strategy because refs are less likely to call penalties in the playoffs than in the regular season. The playoff mentality is 'let the players play'.

Either way, I think it's too simplistic and vague to attribute those losses to 'they were smarter than us'.

Last edited by CanadianHockey: 11-20-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old
11-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
If Zibanejad had a time machine he would beat the leafs in 2000-2004 every time.

Also Zibanejad > Subban

Old
11-20-2012, 08:17 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
He's joking with us
You used to be able to detect sarcasm among the best of em.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
You used to be able to detect sarcasm among the best of em.
When I posted I figured you were probably being sarcastic but I wanted to bump and couldnt think of anything else to say

Old
11-21-2012, 12:32 AM
peter67

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post

Ottawa was playing the Leafs the beloved of HNIC and 3/4 of the sports media.

Pat Quinn's great talent was playing the refs.
Most Definitely True! The reffing was slanted towards the Leafs.
Do I know??. Just ask an official who was there.
Kerry Fraser admitted this in his book the Final Call: My Life as an NHL Official. I remember reading this but cannot give you an exact quote.

Anyway...

Zibby is still really young. He's got plenty of time to get comfortable. And once he does, watch out!

Old
11-21-2012, 01:18 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
If Zibby is the next Hossa then what are Silf, Stone, Lehner, and Ceci?

Old
11-21-2012, 05:48 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Alfie, Heatley, Roy, Potvin

Old
11-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Eriksson, Benn, Lundqvist and Seabrook

Zibanejad = Forsberg (well poor man's Forsberg)

It will also be hard for Lehner to reach Lundqvist status but he has what it takes to get close to that

Silfverberg could be an Eriksson, even if a bit less productive

Same thing for Stone vs Benn

Ceci max potential would be Seabrook

More realistically, Zibanejad reminds me more of Rick Nash, a big strong body with good skating, a lot of skills and a great shot (even though if Nash skillset is a bit more high end), who can also put on a show with miraculous moves and score highlight reel goals. I know Nash is a very big name and always had a lot of hype around him but in terms of tangible results, I think Zibanejad could be a 30-30 guy too

Eriksson-Spezza-Nash
Michalek-Turris-Benn

Cowen-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Seabrook

Lundqvist

(but that'd be if everything turns right, which almost never happen

Old
11-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Ugh. No way I want any of our goalies compared in any way to Lundqvist. That guy is soft as a marshmallow mentally. If it wasn't for three quarters of the Rangers throwing themselves in front of every damned puck, he'd be worthless.

I'd be ecstatic to see Lehner as halfway between a Ron Hextall and Patrick Roy.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Ugh. No way I want any of our goalies compared in any way to Lundqvist. That guy is soft as a marshmallow mentally. If it wasn't for three quarters of the Rangers throwing themselves in front of every damned puck, he'd be worthless.

I'd be ecstatic to see Lehner as halfway between a Ron Hextall and Patrick Roy.
Not sure if serious... Lundqvist is probably the best goalie in the world actually... Not sure if there's another goalie who gives as many chances to win for his team in a season.

* I have watched tons of Rangers games over the years, not just 1 godamn series or something like that

EDIT : lol I didn't see the Hextall and Roy references... wow, Lundqvist wouldn't be good enough, Lehner needs to become something between a HOFer and a TOP-3 goalie in history?

You really need to put that sarcasm emoticon in those cases, you're pushing it way too hard

Last edited by Xspyrit: 11-21-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Thanks for the laugh.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:14 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Not sure if serious... Lundqvist is probably the best goalie in the world actually... Not sure if there's another goalie who gives as many chances to win for his team in a season.

* I have watched tons of Rangers games over the years, not just 1 godamn series or something like that
I think Lundqvist is somewhat over rated, he is a excellent goalie but I dont think he is the best in the league. I would not be disappointed if Lehner turns out to be as good as Henrik.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:34 AM
The Flower
Feel Aflie's Wrath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
You specifically said dominated. We were dominated in a single series of the four. Perpetuating the myth that we were dominated by an underdog Leafs team just continues the cycle of ignorance.

The original point is really irrelevant to whether you believe we were dominated or not. The original point is simply false by its own right; player x was on a team that lost, therefore player x must suck. Hossa doesn't suck, and if Zibby pans out to be another Hossa, it'll be a huge win for the organization.

It wasn't a smart strategy because of their goalies, it was a smart strategy because refs are less likely to call penalties in the playoffs than in the regular season. The playoff mentality is 'let the players play'.

Either way, I think it's too simplistic and vague to attribute those losses to 'they were smarter than us'.
Bud, we lost 4 straight playoff series to the Leafs. If that's not domination, I don't know what is? I wasn't breaking down each series individually. I was merely commenting on how our lack of playoff success against Toronto in the early 2000's caused many fans around here to lose faith in the leadership core. Rightly or wrongly, guys like Hossa, Yashin, Alfie, Redden, and even Jacques Martin were called into question.

Regarding your 2nd point, you're preaching to the choir here. I'm not sure how or where you picked up on me ripping on either Hossa or Zibby. I was actually arguing otherwise. I think Hossa is a stud and the raw skill set that Zibby possesses has me giddy with anticipation. Even as a teenager he owns a big league one timer and his size and skating ability make him an exciting prospect. With a little time, I fully expect him to put it all together and thrive in the NHL.

Lastly, concerning penalty calls in the playoffs, I agree with what you're saying here. For the most part, refs keep their whistles in their pockets during the playoffs, albeit mostly in the later rounds. So the Leafs strategy of getting an edge in the penalty call department was a well conceived plan. I was just adding that they had a good backup plan with both Cujo and the Eagle standing on their heads, in the event that the calls didn't go their way.

Closed Thread