HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Do you support the NHL or NHLPA, are you an employee or business owner?

View Poll Results: Are you a business owner or employee, and do you support the owners or players?
I'm a business owner, and I support the owners. 6 6.74%
I'm a business owner, and I support the players. 5 5.62%
I'm an employee, and I support the owners. 50 56.18%
I'm an employee, and I support the players. 28 31.46%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-21-2012, 07:28 AM
BlackNgold 84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'm for Shawn Thornton.

I look forward to all those who are pro-owner giving Bettman a standing ovation the next time he shows up at TD Garden. "Thanks for the lockout, Gary! Great job!"
They're sending him candy grams as we speak.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:54 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
I'm for Shawn Thornton.

I look forward to all those who are pro-owner giving Bettman a standing ovation the next time he shows up at TD Garden. "Thanks for the lockout, Gary! Great job!"
I will be thankful when we have a sustainable league long term that when it grows at fast rates, over half the teams still aren't in the red.

Rah rah go team

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:01 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Also artemis...can we count on you giving handshakes to all the players personally thanking them for giving 2 months to construct a brand new CBA?

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
I'm for Shawn Thornton.

What was your opinion last lockout?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:22 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Any industry that provides a marginal talent like Derek Roy this kind of lifestyle is one I would dream of being a part of..

http://mcxwc.tumblr.com/post/2707199...ys-summer-home

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:50 AM
WBC8

Quote:
I'm for Shawn Thornton.

The problem is his union couldn't give a flying **** about him...They don't care he will never recoup his losses... The NHLPA is just like real life... The richest people looking out for the richest people...the rest can fight for the scraps..

Old
11-21-2012, 08:50 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Employee becoming owner. And the more responsibilities I take on as owner the more understanding I have for the NHL owners.

In no other business besides pro sports do the employees get half or more of the revenues generated by the business in addition to their salaries & other benefits. Without a huge television contract this business model would not be sustainable for the NBA or the NFL. For the NHL to attempt to operate the same way is sheer idiocy-it doesn't have a big tv deal nor the other huge revenue sources the NBA & NFL have because it lacks the popularity of those 2 sports.

Grow the sport first and the money will eventually follow. And by growth I don't mean expansion either. Improve the financial conditions of the existing franchises first- that will enable them to put a better team on the ice. Better teams=better play=more public support=more $$$.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Any industry that provides a marginal talent like Derek Roy this kind of lifestyle is one I would dream of being a part of..

http://mcxwc.tumblr.com/post/2707199...ys-summer-home
I understand what you're saying, but look at this cold-bloodedly. NHL players, even "marginal" ones, are better at playing hockey than 99.999% of the world's population. As such, their talents are in demand. Demand = compensation. Economics 101.

If owners of sports teams are going to rake in money because people desire the product, doesn't it make sense that the "product" share in that wealth? I wouldn't pay to see owners do their thing. That'd be pretty boring, to me anyway.

If you believe that pro athletes are horribly overpaid for what they do and that we should adopt a "from each according to his ability to each according to his need" economic system, I would only note that such a system has been tried, and hasn't worked out so well.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
What was your opinion last lockout?
I've never been pro-owner, but I didn't pay half as much attention during the last lockout, for personal reasons.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:56 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Derek Roy needs to feed his dog, like Mike Modano had to, you know.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

If the owners aren't happy, there is no league. They hold the cards, and that's what it comes down to for me. It's a lot easier to find guys to play hockey than it is a billionaire who is willing to finance a team.

I want the owners to be happy, and for the league to flourish. In a perfect world, I'd want the owners not to be led by a weasel, and to want to treat the players well.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:15 AM
WBC8

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but look at this cold-bloodedly. NHL players, even "marginal" ones, are better at playing hockey than 99.999% of the world's population. As such, their talents are in demand. Demand = compensation. Economics 101.

If owners of sports teams are going to rake in money because people desire the product, doesn't it make sense that the "product" share in that wealth? I wouldn't pay to see owners do their thing. That'd be pretty boring, to me anyway.

If you believe that pro athletes are horribly overpaid for what they do and that we should adopt a "from each according to his ability to each according to his need" economic system, I would only note that such a system has been tried, and hasn't worked out so well.
I'm not saying they shouldn't get paid. They should. They should also be extremely grateful that they "rake in" this kind of money doing something not many people even care about.

I'm not a big fan of the product "sharing the wealth" however...You get a salary, benefits and a 401k contribution....The owner is taking all the risks financially and deserves the pay-off... Are players giving back money to the owners who have lost money? I think not.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I'm not saying they shouldn't get paid. They should. They should also be extremely grateful that they "rake in" this kind of money doing something not many people even care about.

I'm not a big fan of the product "sharing the wealth" however...You get a salary, benefits and a 401k contribution....The owner is taking all the risks financially and deserves the pay-off... Are players giving back money to the owners who have lost money? I think not.
Or when they play like crap? No. PGA is the best example, you play poorly, you get paid poorly, you play well, you get paid well.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Diskothek

Don't care for either side much but I side with the owners moreso.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I'm with the owners side.

But, by the end of Nov if they still don't have a deal done, I personally know I'm not gonna bother to try and keep following this BS up anymore. If both sides don't care, why should we?

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I love that one of the most vocal players is Mathiue Darche..... like who the **** are you?
A guy who has a commerce degree in marketing and international business from McGill University. In other words, a much better representative than the high school dropouts the average fan would like to see on the commitee.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:04 AM
bme44

There is no way in HELL I can support the owners , I hate Bettman

bme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:07 AM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
I am an employee and support the owners.

Have trouble with players doing nothing or jetting over to Europe to play while this is happening and feeling sorry for them.
This bothers me more than anything else going on. The players go and play in Europe and take some poor guy's job without a blink of an eye. They get zero compassion from me because of this. It they could not do this, this lookout would of been over already because now they are getting zero money.

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:21 AM
GuinnRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey View Post
This bothers me more than anything else going on. The players go and play in Europe and take some poor guy's job without a blink of an eye. They get zero compassion from me because of this. It they could not do this, this lookout would of been over already because now they are getting zero money.
Agreed.

Employee and firmly support the Owners.

As an employee who has been laid off (twice) in my career when previous employers made hard cuts, and I was forced to scramble to find a way to make ends meet for my family during that tough time, I find it virtually impossible to relate to millionaires playing hockey who are begging sympathy because they're 'out of work' or 'deserve what they deserve.'

Get a real job and get back to me.

GuinnRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:28 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
A guy who has a commerce degree in marketing and international business from McGill University. In other words, a much better representative than the high school dropouts the average fan would like to see on the commitee.
I would rather a representative that actually has a contract to play in the 12-13 season.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I'm in favor of the owners because I hate the kind of power unions have gotten in modern society. Nothing personal with pro unionsts, I just hate extortion as a principle and would rather not have an economy built on it.

If any corporation tried to sell a product like the labor unions tried to "sell" their labor to corporations, they'd be sued to within an inch of their life.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
lopey

Here is the latest on the NEW proposal by the NHLPA.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409972

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:11 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Employee/players. The owners have had enough bites at the apple to get what they want. Learn to control your GM's too, you dopes. But that's what you get when you have a commish who hates the sport.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
OLD51JOHN

Its like

Choosing cancer or heart trouble... Both sides care less what fans care.. Will I go back ??? As soon as they sign the new agreement..

OLD51JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:25 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

I've been both. Even though I think that line of thinking is irrelevant unless you had "employees" that were the actual product and the absolute 750 best in the world at what they did.

I'm familiar with the labor situation of the NHL going back to at least the corrupt Wirtz/Eagleson years.

I'm behind the players union in this lockout.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote