Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 05:35 PM
PokeCheck101

vCash: 500
SBAAHL 99's

Humboldt and Battlefords struggling. Not seeing anything there but haven't seen them enough to point out the 99's.

NE - Tuffs
P.A. - Sawchuck, Hobson. I believe P.A. is going to pull away in the north. They've got 6 of top 10 in scoring, speed, smart
SV - Benson Thorpe, Joel Grzybowski. No depth, weak on D, will finish middle of the pack

GSHL
Vogel, Diapolo, Holt, Antoniadis, L Mcleod, Leschyshyn, Ong

Interesting.... nearly 40 first years in the GSHL. Bandits leading the charge in first place with 65% of their roster as first year's.... Real early to guage anything but Scissons must be doing okay behind the bench.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:55 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah68 View Post
In random order! Holt, Leshysyn, Mcleod, Vogel.Gshl Markovich, Hobson, Sawchuck, P.A Gardner Humbolt, Tuffs NE. Theres 9, but really boils down to how these kids play next year. But then you need to include the southern kids, which I don't know and apologize for not adding them in, and the Lloyd kids who are considered Albertens. Some of the kids that are good enough to be drafted have to continue to develop both physically and mentally.
Top 2000 Lloyd kids are Wouters and T. Smith. Not familiar with 99's.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:02 PM
PokeCheck101

I believe Vogel was a C4 kid but played in city wide last year pee wee... Lives on a farm from what I understand (?) Too bad, SV could use him.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:48 PM
mrbodangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
SBAAHL 99's

Humboldt and Battlefords struggling. Not seeing anything there but haven't seen them enough to point out the 99's.

NE - Tuffs
P.A. - Sawchuck, Hobson. I believe P.A. is going to pull away in the north. They've got 6 of top 10 in scoring, speed, smart
SV - Benson Thorpe, Joel Grzybowski. No depth, weak on D, will finish middle of the pack

GSHL

Interesting.... nearly 40 first years in the GSHL. Bandits leading the charge in first place with 65% of their roster as first year's.... Real early to guage anything but Scissons must be doing okay behind the bench.
PA's D really struggled this weekend vs N E

Old
11-20-2012, 09:48 PM
nah68

Reply poke check
I'll disagree with P.A finishing strong, they had an easier schedule and will have there hands full. NE and NB beat them up pretty bad, and SV and Moose jaw beat them at tourney. Four game losing streak. WC followed by NE, then P.a, sv and Nb in a log jam. Thats my prediction, things could change though. As for Vogel isn't that the norm to make concessions for some and not for others?? Also Jantzen Leslie, Kobie Mohr and Zane Franklin are the strong Lloyd kids

Old
11-21-2012, 12:18 AM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Reply poke check
I'll disagree with P.A finishing strong, they had an easier schedule and will have there hands full. NE and NB beat them up pretty bad, and SV and Moose jaw beat them at tourney. Four game losing streak. WC followed by NE, then P.a, sv and Nb in a log jam. Thats my prediction, things could change though. As for Vogel isn't that the norm to make concessions for some and not for others?? Also Jantzen Leslie, Kobie Mohr and Zane Franklin are the strong Lloyd kids
WC is clearly going to leave themselves breathing room at the top but P.A. is a bit of a dark horse... Led by Warkentine. Question is will he make his team mates better. WC, P.A., NE, SV then the rest. When I mean pull away, I mean pull away from the mid pack. What they need to do is figure out how to put pucks in the net on the PP. If my math is roughly right they are around14 for 84 for 16% on the PP. If they brought that up even fractionally it may have paid off in a few of their earlier games; Including momentum swings.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
beenwatching

I agree with nah68. PA is on a major downslide that will leave them in the middle of the pack when things are all said and done. They have benifited from a pretty easy schedule playing the 2 of the bottom teams 5 of their first 10 games. The true test for them will come now down the stretch. I think they have the potential and the players to compete, but need to figure out how to put it all together.

I have watched WC and NE play several games this year, and believe that the north is a toss up between these two teams. WC has a very good top line, but NE has more depth. NE needs to stay consistant and have a team effort every night to win. If they do that they will be hard to beat. WC is dangerous if given time on the ice, and that can be hard to beat sometimes. These two will definitly in my opinion be the tops of the north. Neither team will run away with things, they will always have the other team breathing down their neck.

Going to be a great finish.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:36 PM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwatching View Post
I agree with nah68. PA is on a major downslide that will leave them in the middle of the pack when things are all said and done. They have benifited from a pretty easy schedule playing the 2 of the bottom teams 5 of their first 10 games. The true test for them will come now down the stretch. I think they have the potential and the players to compete, but need to figure out how to put it all together.

I have watched WC and NE play several games this year, and believe that the north is a toss up between these two teams. WC has a very good top line, but NE has more depth. NE needs to stay consistant and have a team effort every night to win. If they do that they will be hard to beat. WC is dangerous if given time on the ice, and that can be hard to beat sometimes. These two will definitly in my opinion be the tops of the north. Neither team will run away with things, they will always have the other team breathing down their neck.

Going to be a great finish.
Went back and looked at some stats on Sbaahl website, When WC and NE played SV they were 1 goal games. One being 1-0 and the other 2-1, leads me to question if SV defense is really that bad? WC and SV both lack the ability to score with consistency. That may be there downfall

Old
11-22-2012, 06:59 AM
Superbowlfishca

SBAAHL - South

I think we all can agree that anybody can beat anybody ion any given night in this league. I have seen every team play except NE including many games at the Regina tournament two weeks ago and to date there has not beenany dominant team in the league. Top 4 teams in the south would be Melville,SwiftCurrent,Prairie Storm, Regina Pat Blues. Blues have some seperation at the top but look at what Melville did to them on the weekend(7-2) so I really dont see any of these teams seperating themselves at the top. All have weaknesses and depth issues. Also on the bottom end it will be a real dogfight for the final playoff spots. Should be fun.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Superbowlfishca

Scissons Coach

Quote:
SBAAHL 99's

NE - Tuffs

GSHL

Scott is a very good coach. One of the best. His team was (0-4) in Regina tournament being outscored 26-4. Im not sure if they were missing any players in Regina but he is doing some miracle stuff to have them in first place in Saskatoon league.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Superbowlfishca

nah 68 NE & Kris Bzdel

Quote:
SBAAHL 99's

NE - Tuffs

GSHL

How has Kris Bzdel looked for NE. I know he is a 99 kid.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:29 PM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbowlfishca View Post
How has Kris Bzdel looked for NE. I know he is a 99 kid.
He's O.k, I think he needs to get in better condition? He's full of talent.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:26 PM
beenwatching

i agree nah68. Bzdel looks out of shape still, or possible a little lazy at times, but he is young and will hopefully grow out of that. He has nice skill when he decides to use it.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:05 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
i agree nah68. Bzdel looks out of shape still, or possible a little lazy at times, but he is young and will hopefully grow out of that. He has nice skill when he decides to use it.
Bantam is a separating factor for sure. A big jump in speed, size and tenacity from pee wee AA. This may be a part of it. Another is simply growing out of hockey. I've stressed it before, hockey is a funnel at the AA and AAA (winter hockey) levels. Example, of the nearly 40 first year bantams in GSHL how many will go on to midg AAA? And of the one's moving to AAA how many will get drafted... How many will simply grow out of hockey and be content to play AA or house. Maybe the answer is as simple as this. Or, some just take a little longer to find their groove. Hopefully that's the case. But it's gotta be on his terms. As soon as it becomes mechanical, forget about it.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Superbowlfishca

Interesting??

Quote:
Have not seen him play for a while but when i did he was "mean"!! and I say that in a good way. I do agree with post that Bantam AA is a whole other level and I see that with many of the 99 kids. It will be interesting to see ghow things change with these kids in the new year.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:39 AM
nah68

wonder how many suckers are there out there like me, who were drawn in by the lure of the elite websites top 200, and top130. Unfortunately I have purchased a few editions and have been slightly dissapointed with some of the rankings. I can't comment on the others provs picks, but I wonder if this gentleman surfs the sbaahl web page and goes from there. I do notice that Legein has moved up considerbly, he in my opinion is the best bantam in the prov. But I also heard Elder is up there, too bad Ive not seen him play for a while.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:45 AM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
wonder how many suckers are there out there like me, who were drawn in by the lure of the elite websites top 200, and top130. Unfortunately I have purchased a few editions and have been slightly dissapointed with some of the rankings. I can't comment on the others provs picks, but I wonder if this gentleman surfs the sbaahl web page and goes from there. I do notice that Legein has moved up considerbly, he in my opinion is the best bantam in the prov. But I also heard Elder is up there, too bad Ive not seen him play for a while.
I think you are correct in some cases. There is some merit to them for sure but I also believe some kids unfortunately do not get the look they deserve. Honestly, this board alone has provided alot of insight into the players and teams in the C4, SBAAHL and GSHL. Yes, sometimes bias but when it comes right down to it there are some pretty knowledgeble folks, including scouts, right here.

This leads me into a topic for all of you.... I'm a little disappointed with the SBAAHL web site in that most teams do not have their players position, height, weight and birth year posted. Some opinion please on top first years by position... Let's get some conversation going

Old
11-25-2012, 10:33 AM
nah68

Here my picks 99's, Best D man in my opinion is Landon Markovich from P.a, skilled, with speed and grit, followed closely by Jake Hobson(p.A) and Ashton Heidt Saskatoon. Best forwards, top kid would be Gardner from Humbolt, followed by Holt(stoon), and Connor Tuffs from NE. Honorable mention to Sawchuk, P.a, vogel, and mcleod(stoon) Bosch westcentral. Mcleod could be the tops if he has changed his game from individual to team, he is ultimately the fastest kid Ive seen. Goalies is ?

Old
11-26-2012, 10:59 AM
northernblizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertacks View Post
Made a trip in the other night to watch the AAA Stars play. It must have been cloudy, because there wasn't any out!
I had expected more, listenning to Martin Smith on the radio talk his team up.
Some decent players but the guys I had heard the talk about were duds! Just take a look at the team points board. 1point, 1point, 1point, these are the "Stars" of the future? I was impressed with semi-locals Joel Blaquere and Kyler Hope, who happenned to be on the Mintos, but overlooked by North Battleford. Hmmmm!
You are right Jumbo Jakes, it is not only the Stars Board but the Battlefords Minor Hockey Board that needs a total change. Just look what they pulled last year.
They could learn alot from a couple minor hockey boards, east and west of them on highway 16. Glad to be done with Battlefords Minor Hockey.
But now the Stars have been on a winning streak lately! I watched my first game recently and was impressed by their work ethic. The team just plain outworked their opponent. Still a couple of large gaps in the defense but it's a hugely improved sqad.
For you guys that have been watching what has been their secret of success?

Winning 5 in a row is impressive!

Old
11-28-2012, 03:07 PM
SaskRinkRat

For those that are advocating for Saskatoon to contract to four teams and join the SBAAHL...

I'm curious, what will the next step be if (when?) the Saskatchewan representative continues to get beaten by 5-7 goals every game at Westerns?

Old
11-28-2012, 10:33 PM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post
For those that are advocating for Saskatoon to contract to four teams and join the SBAAHL...

I'm curious, what will the next step be if (when?) the Saskatchewan representative continues to get beaten by 5-7 goals every game at Westerns?
When this topic was brought up a while back we were told to "zip it" and find a less boring topic.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:14 AM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Here my picks 99's, Best D man in my opinion is Landon Markovich from P.a, skilled, with speed and grit, followed closely by Jake Hobson(p.A) and Ashton Heidt Saskatoon. Best forwards, top kid would be Gardner from Humbolt, followed by Holt(stoon), and Connor Tuffs from NE. Honorable mention to Sawchuk, P.a, vogel, and mcleod(stoon) Bosch westcentral. Mcleod could be the tops if he has changed his game from individual to team, he is ultimately the fastest kid Ive seen. Goalies is ?
I think you're on the money here. I watched Mcleod quite a bit last year, incredible transitional speed. Looked real good but didn't pass puck, he made no one better last year. Speed will take him only as far as his team play allows him. So improve team play and look out... Doesn't finish well around the net, hands need to improve.

Gryzbowski is a tender from SV to watch. Forget about his stats, he's being relied on by SV to shoulder the load as a first year. Excellent positionally, very focused student of the game and will not quit. He plays the tough minutes against the harder teams and for that his stats suffer. Not getting much help from what I understand from some of the players in front of him.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:38 AM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post

For starters, the concern should move away from westerns already. SK puts out some very strong hockey players from teams that do not make it to westerns. I too would like to see a better showing but truth be told is the other teams simply are better. We're talking about the four top teams in western Canada here (and the fifth being the host). Okay, let's disect it. Burnaby, home of the Burnaby Winter Club (regarded as perhaps one of the best organizations) is a city of a mere 220K. Good for third largest in BC. Their program however draws in elite players from neighboring Vancouver (yes people will move and pay - yes shocking I know)... Saskatoon is comparible in size but does not have the same appeal. Trust me, if it did, Team Sask would be very strong. People do not flock to GSHL. The reverse is true in SK. There's more people playing chess in the C4 and SBAAHL moving kids around. So nothing will ever change. Borders are borders. Let's stick to concentrating on recruiting and retaining quality coaches. Let's move away from the buddy system of executives bringing coaches in with self serving agendas. How many people have seen marginal players on a AA team and low and behold it's the coaches kid, coach is a buddy with executive, so on and so on and so on. The same coach who will not go that extra mile to try and convince a strong kid to come try out for the team because the kid may just look better than his own. Perhaps SK should move to paid coaching at the elite levels... Ooops, I brought it up. Sorry all.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:19 AM
nah68

You gotter pokecheck....very good players put out by both leauges. I personally don't care how bad Sask teams get bludgened at westerns, cause to get there you have to win the province and thats the gold at the end of the rainbow.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:22 PM
SaskRinkRat

Quote:
For starters, the concern should move away from westerns already. SK puts out some very strong hockey players from teams that do not make it to westerns. I too would like to see a better showing but truth be told is the other teams simply are better. We're talking about the four top teams in western Canada here (and the fifth being the host).
I completely agree with this, as do most of the people I talk to about this issue. But if not to perform better at Westerns, then what is the reasoning for contracting Bantam AA hockey so significantly in the province? The province has gone from 29 to 23 AA teams in two years, and most are suggesting that Saskatoon should chop another two teams. Even if we did that - hell, even if we chopped another 10 teams - we'd still barely compete at Westerns. But that's what I don't get - if not to compete at Westerns, then why contract?

Quote:
Okay, let's disect it. Burnaby, home of the Burnaby Winter Club (regarded as perhaps one of the best organizations) is a city of a mere 220K. Good for third largest in BC. Their program however draws in elite players from neighboring Vancouver (yes people will move and pay - yes shocking I know)... Saskatoon is comparible in size but does not have the same appeal. Trust me, if it did, Team Sask would be very strong.
Based on the logic most of the SK hockey community uses, if Saskatoon went down to a single team (like Burnaby) it would be the destination team for all the top players in the province. Why? Because it would win every game it played all season, regardless of the opponent, and that's what parents seem to care about.

Closed Thread