HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Coaching changes and speculation thread Part II (Texas STRONG)

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Francesa
ヽ(。_)ノ

vCash: 500
Rumor - Petrino to Tennessee

Old
11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/86...igning-cop-out

Quote:
Andy Reid said Monday that he won't resign as the Philadelphia Eagles' coach because quitting on his team would be a "cop-out" after he has asked the players to keep fighting.

Reid made his comments after the Eagles dropped their sixth straight game Sunday. The Philadelphia Daily News, citing a high-ranking team source, reported Monday that the longtime Eagles coach wouldn't be fired this week and would coach Philadelphia against the Panthers next Monday night.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
He loves the spread now. I think if he does become a college coach, that'll be what he runs.

Also Rivera is done. It's only a matter of time now. Lots of speculation that it'll be tomorrow, but I think they'll clean house, again, meaning it won't happen until the end of the season. I also think the replacement is a big name guy who'll also be GM because Richardson wants to win before he dies.
What names are being thrown out down there in the local media? Are the Cowher rumours starting up again? What a godsend that would be.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:00 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Little to no names have been thrown out. During Rivera's press conference today he claimed he was safe for the rest of the year, but "sounded less confident when pressed". Not sure what that means. I think they'll take some time before hiring someone.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...all&id=8892596

Quote:
BERKELEY, Calif. -- A person with knowledge of the decision says California has fired coach Jeff Tedford after his worst season in 11 years with the Golden Bears.

The decision will be announced at a press conference Tuesday afternoon, the person said on condition of anonymity because the announcement hadn't been made.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Street Hawk

Could see it coming for Tedford. Been a long time since he developed a quality College QB. Didn't need to have one drafted into the NFL like Rodgers/Boller, but he's gone through a long list of average QB's and for a QB guru, not acceptable.

Tedford helped raise a lot of money for the program and with the new facilities can compete with the top dogs in the Pac-12. New coach has to land a top level QB. Maybe the new guy can land one of the excess ones from USC.

USC keeps on getting top of the line Rivals top QBs signing onto the program each year. When Barkley returned this past year, the backup from last season transferred to a Juco so that he could still get 2 years at Division 1 to play QB since he already red-shirted (he was also a top recruit from the Rivals list). After Barkley leaves, can't imagine that both Kessler and Wittek (both top Rivals guys) will remain with the program with top recruit Browne coming onto the roster. For playing time, one of them has to leave the program.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:01 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Tedford had gone a bit stale and I imagine Stanford suddenly becoming a Pac powerhouse has led to some irritation there as well, but if you want to find a Cal era as successful as that under Tedford you'd have to go back to the 1940s.

Given the nature of the job and what Berkeley is, I think it's quite possible that Cal might some time soon wish they hadn't fired Tedford.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Tedford was a good coach, but his time was up. He probably has a good chance of reviving his career somewhere else.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Tedford had gone a bit stale and I imagine Stanford suddenly becoming a Pac powerhouse has led to some irritation there as well, but if you want to find a Cal era as successful as that under Tedford you'd have to go back to the 1940s.

Given the nature of the job and what Berkeley is, I think it's quite possible that Cal might some time soon wish they hadn't fired Tedford.
Tedford will land on his feet. If he doesn't land another HC job right away, he'll land an OC position with a top program.

And I agree about the success of Stanford lately being a major factor in the decision. Stanford has high academic standards too, so no reason the Bears can't put forth a quality program as well if the Cardinal are doing it too.

Just like UCLA, there isn't any reason they shouldn't be able to compete with USC for talent and be a top level program.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
The tone from Andy Reid was very strange on Monday, if you read between the lines. When asked if he would resign, he said he wouldn't because it would be a cop-out because it wouldn't be practicing what he preaches.

What he didn't say: "I'm just trying to win games. I haven't even thought about it."

Old
11-20-2012, 08:59 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

They probably are asking him to resign and he is refusing, trying to force their hand. No one wins in those situations.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Rickety Cricket

Maybe Ron Rivera will go back to Cal.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
They probably are asking him to resign and he is refusing, trying to force their hand. No one wins in those situations.
I don't think Jeff Lurie would force Andy to do anything, but it does tell you that he's had that conversation, even if it's with himself.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Rickety Cricket

Supposedly Cal is looking at Riveria, Chris Peterson and Hue Jackson.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:41 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Just like UCLA, there isn't any reason they shouldn't be able to compete with USC for talent and be a top level program.
Well, from what I understand neither Cal nor UCLA footballl operate in an institutional environment that's even nearly as supportive of the program as that at their local rival university.

Football simply means more at USC and Stanford than at Cal and UCLA.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Well, from what I understand neither Cal nor UCLA footballl operate in an institutional environment that's even nearly as supportive of the program as that at their local rival university.

Football simply means more at USC and Stanford than at Cal and UCLA.
Lets be honest, lots of people at both Cal and UCLA don't care about football. We can throw Stanford in there as well. The students don't really show up, and they don't have a huge football fan base. There have been many Saturdays where good teams at both Cal and UCLA have played in front of half empty stadiums. Its no secret that these programs, especially Cal get little support from the rest of the university, and are quite actively despised by a lot of academic departments.

UCLA is more supportive, but its hard not to classify the environment around either Stanford or Cal as at times downright hostile. USC is the only California program that really cares about and supports football, and it shows in how good they usually are on the field.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:11 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
Are my Bear friends crazy that if they don't make the playoffs Lovie's gone?

Old
11-21-2012, 12:26 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
Honestly hard to tell. If we don't make the playoffs this season given the start we had, it's a very real possibility. I doubt it, though.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Emery is in 1st year as new GM ,, If Bears again choke and miss playoffs that would probably mean Lovie gets considered for dismisal

On other end ,, If he makes playoffs and wins a game he likely gets an extension

It all comes down to Emery and Bears success on field

The McCaskey's like Lovie Smith alot. Last time there was speculation about his job the Bears won NFC North and went to NFC Champ game (Ironically the Bears internally were talking about Jim Harbaugh as replacement before the 2010 Bears happened)

Old
11-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Francesa
ヽ(。_)ノ

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...W9ucw--;_ylv=3

"According to multiple sources, NCAA investigators have been working for weeks on potential improprieties involving Auburn recruits, players, coaches, representatives of the school's athletic interests and third parties. Assistant coaches Trooper Taylor and Curtis Luper have been scrutinized by the NCAA, sources said. Taylor is the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach, while Luper coaches running backs and is the recruiting coordinator.

Both Taylor and Luper were taken off the road recruiting several weeks ago amid the NCAA probe, sources said. Taylor was a finalist this season for national Assistant Coach of the Year honors from the American Football Coaches Association.

With Auburn 3-8 and winless in Southeastern Conference play, Chizik's job is in jeopardy. The ongoing NCAA investigation only heightens the likelihood that the Tigers' game Saturday against rival Alabama will be Chizik's last at the school."

Sack looms over Auburn boss

Old
11-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Noooooo, keep Chizik. every year he is there just sets them back further and further.

Also if a team were to hire Petrino is contract should state that he is not allowed to own a motorcycle...

Old
11-21-2012, 04:32 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

Quote:
Assuming Cutler comes back & stays healthy, I doubt they miss the playoffs. If he does & they do, then yeah, I'd put Lovie on the hotseat.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Pyro Kinesis
Cleveland for LIFE!

vCash: 912
Speaking of Andy Reid, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Cleveland. I'll take the success the Eagles had any day of the week over the lack thereof that the Browns have had.

Old
11-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Kinesis View Post
Speaking of Andy Reid, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Cleveland. I'll take the success the Eagles had any day of the week over the lack thereof that the Browns have had.
The graphic you posted back on page 1 would suggest you were strongly against Reed potentially going to Cleveland. What on earth has he done in the last few weeks to change this opinion? Just curious.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

So in terms of NFL head coaches, here is who I think is (or should be) on the hot seat for various reasons...

NFC
  • Eagles' Andy Reid: If nothing else, it's time. He has done much for them, but it's time.
  • Cowboys' Jason Garrett: Who will be Jerry's next puppet?
  • Lions' Jim Schwartz: Team discipline begins with the head coach, and he lacks it.
  • Panthers' Ron Rivera: Major regression going on there. He may not be the answer.
  • Cardinals' Ken Whisenhunt: The fluke Super Bowl run is long gone. What have they done since then?

AFC
  • Jets' Rex Ryan: Exactly where do I begin here?
  • Bills' Chan Gailey: Could be three straight non-winning seasons in Buffalo.
  • Browns' Pat Shurmur: New management coming in. He may be a house cleaning casualty.
  • Chiefs' Romeo Crennel: He'll be part of a huge house cleaning that is very much needed.
  • Chargers' Norv Turner: Seriously, how does he stay in a job?

No one has been fired yet, but this could end up being one of the most active Black Mondays in some time.

Closed Thread