HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Newsday: Ratner to play key role in Coliseum's future

Old
11-20-2012, 10:42 PM
ktrio730

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ktrio730
I'm confused... If the lease is over in 2021, why is there no chance this happens? Renovations into an arena do not predict future leases, as evidenced by Wang putting $ into the coliseum to upgrade locker rooms and other things.

With the amount of time it takes to get anything done is Nassau, that might be right around when a new arena would be around completion to begin with.

ktrio730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Steve55

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...726&nopaging=1

Updated: Nov 20, 2012 09:44 PM
By RANDI F. MARSHALL

As Nassau County picked a builder to develop the nearly vacant 77 acres of the Nassau Hub in Uniondale, County Executive Edward Mangano is also seeking advice from developer Bruce Ratner , who built the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, on the future of the aging Coliseum.

At a Mineola news conference Tuesday, Ratner -- who wooed the Islanders to play in Brooklyn -- said he will spend the first half of 2013 assessing the Coliseum. He said he will see if it can be transformed into a competitive, more viable arena, through better marketing, potential sponsorships and possible renovations. He said he is doing the study for free.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-20-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: To much content copyright issues.
Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Steve55

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home

Tuesday, 11.20.2012 / 4:37 PM / News

In a joint announcement with Bruce Ratner, Chairman and CEO of Forest City Ratner Companies (FCRC), and NY Islanders owner Charles B. Wang, Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano today announced that FCRC has agreed to create and present a strategic Reuse Plan for the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum within the first half of 2013 to help transform the venue into becoming an attractive, state-of-the-art destination for sports and entertainment. Ratner and Wang will consider sports alternatives as an integral part of the ultimate redesign of the Coliseum.
In addition, County Executive Mangano has announced the selection of a Master Developer Team led by Renaissance Downtown for the purpose of coordinating development on the 77-acre Coliseum site while creating jobs, investment, economic growth and revenue to help hold the line on property taxes...

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-20-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Copyright issues.
Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrio730 View Post
I'm confused... If the lease is over in 2021, why is there no chance this happens? Renovations into an arena do not predict future leases, as evidenced by Wang putting $ into the coliseum to upgrade locker rooms and other things.

With the amount of time it takes to get anything done is Nassau, that might be right around when a new arena would be around completion to begin with.
Because then who is going to play in the arena in Connecticuit that he owns? The Sound Tigers are the anchor tenant of that building, I don't see him taking them out of there.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:14 AM
DanNYI2191

Here's what I don't understand:

Why does Ratner advise Nassau on what to do with the Coliseum to make it competitive? Once built, it will be in direct competition with his arena in Brooklyn for shows.

DanNYI2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:37 AM
PJGooch

Prediction:

Bruce Ratner conducts study and says the Coliseum is old.

Nassau County pays $2.7 million for the information.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNYI2191 View Post
Here's what I don't understand:

Why does Ratner advise Nassau on what to do with the Coliseum to make it competitive? Once built, it will be in direct competition with his arena in Brooklyn for shows.
It won't matter. Barclay's will have most dates filled with "A" list stuff and pro sports while NVMC will get the scraps and maybe Hofstra/minor league alternative stuff. No competition.

The answer is quid pro quo. Ratner advises nassau how to stop embarrassing themselves and produce more revenue and Mangano let's NYI out of the lease early and go to Brooklyn before 2015.

Win win.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:13 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
"Without floating any bonds."

Good luck with that.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Isles72

tear it down and build a nice 8 k seat arena / training facility for isles/nets to practice in.

let ratner worry about what shows to book .

who the hell is paying for this btw ?

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:49 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
They'll build a minor league venue - holds 6-8k seats with some luxury boxes. Enough to hold concerts and disney on ice type things to appease the 'burbanites that they don't have to go to NYC for such things besides radio city, the circus, broadway show, and a rangers game, and oh, and the Turkey parade.

Also, a smaller arena means an easier sell on the impact to the area/land - if it's smaller than the coliseum, than it must automatically draw/attract less traffic than the much bigger coliseum.

Boot strap some strip malls on it and whalla, LI'ers are happy.
If they tie it into some college sports maybe. (Stony Brook would be a better option for a Long Island venue as they are on the verge of growing into a major University) I have my doubts as the land is to valuable and with the Jones beach theater season now running from May until September and the Barclay's and MSG getting the big concerts the window of opportunity would be small for this type of venue at that location.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:50 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Prediction:

Bruce Ratner conducts study and says the Coliseum is old.

Nassau County pays $2.7 million for the information.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1

Old
11-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Bossyfan71

I'm wondering if to get out of the lease early, Wang agrees to play pre season games at the new arena and use it as their practice facility.

The arena could be home to Hofstra baseketball games as well.

I really can't see the Isles leaving NVMC without playing one more year to celebrate the years they spent there, cumlating with a final game at the old barn.

Mike

Last edited by Bossyfan71: 11-21-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Bossyfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossyfan71 View Post
I'm wondering if to get out of the lease early, Wang agrees to play pre season games at the new arena and use it as their practice facility.

The arena could be home to Hofstra baseketball games as well.

I really can't see the Iles leaving NVMC without playing one more year to celebrate the years they spent there, cumlating with a final game at the old barn.

Mike
I can see how it'll play out now.

Hofstra will foot half the bill for the new arena.
There will be a vote for a bond (or whatever) for the other half of the bill and this time it'll pass because (the uninformed populous) will think they are replacing the arena the Isles owned with a new one for the county as opposed to replacing the county owned arena.

Hofstra could use it for basketball, graduation, and other indoor events.
The SoundTigers could move...
And a 10,000 seat arena will still be viable for Disney on Ice and other events (I think)

To get some ideas of what a smaller arena looks like: Here are few photos of a 10,000 seat arena.

Here's a 7,000 seat arena and a 7,000 seat proposal:

And then other the bio-tech and whatever facilities will be there, or not, or another stupid strip mall.

Last edited by Mr Wentworth: 11-21-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
NYC is gross -- we are talking filth and garbage here.

Your comment implies far more.
Dude talked about "disgusting people". I think it's offensive to compare people to excrement. Do you agree? It's a simple question, which deserves a 'yes' or 'no' answer.

If you agree with Dude, please stay out of my cesspool, too. We'll all be happier for it.

If, on the other hand, you would like to lobby the department of sanitation for improved service, I'm with you. I lived in Crown Heights, and I lived in Park Slope (now I live in Windsor Terrace, which is essentially an extension of Park Slope). They don't get the same service. The further east you go, to East New York, and then South to Brownsville, it gets worse. Everyone knows it. It's gotten better, but it's not where it should be.

If you want to have a serious conversation about sanitation, I'm happy to have it. But if you defend Dude, excuse me if I question your sincerity.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
lorwood

Nassau's vision of the future!

Seriously this was one Arena with a very rich history. It was a sin when they tore it down.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

We will not trash a city, so those posts were deleted. Stick to discussing Ratner and his role at NVMC.

11-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post

Nassau's vision of the future!

Seriously this was one Arena with a very rich history. It was a sin when they tore it down.
LOL on this and how this thread has gone! Priceless. Rock N Roll. Didn't the roller derby NY Chiefs play at that arena? Watched every saturday many years ago.

I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL THIS CIRCUS ENDS AND NYI ARE IN NYC BROOKLYN TO BE RELEVANT FOR A CHANGE!

Happy Thanksgiving ALL!

Ratner will save NVMC for Disney on Ice but wants NYI sooner than 2015.

NYC is the greatest city on earth! LI ugh.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:36 PM
25yearfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
LOL on this and how this thread has gone! Priceless. Rock N Roll. Didn't the roller derby NY Chiefs play at that arena? Watched every saturday many years ago.

I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL THIS CIRCUS ENDS AND NYI ARE IN NYC BROOKLYN TO BE RELEVANT FOR A CHANGE!

Happy Thanksgiving ALL!

I'm thinking there's a permanent "American Idols" rejects tour in NVMC future.... Hey Fans! Are you ready for All Idols, All the Time?!?

25yearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:26 PM
doublechili

Quote:

Happy Thanksgiving ALL!

Good call on the Chiefs. I used to watch that too. My recollection is that they won every week. I wonder if every team won every week on TV in their home city?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:00 PM
lorwood

Quote:

Happy Thanksgiving ALL!

L.I. Ducks Eastern hockey league
N.Y. Chiefs Roller derby
A.B.A. N.Y. Nets
Pro Wrestling (Chief Jay Strongbow VS. Haystacks Calhoon!)
John F. Kennedy
and of course a regular tour stop for some of the greatest rock bands in history.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:07 AM
DanNYI2191

The title of this thread is so ironic. Ratner has already played a huge role in the Coliseum's future by taking the Isles away

DanNYI2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:14 AM
leeroggy

Quote:
The Chiefs actually also played the Coliseum, I saw them there a couple of times.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote