HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Anything Goes Thread: Let's Do This 4 Real

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 08:24 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Thanksgiving menu just about complete, just need one more warm dessert and I'm good to go...

Apps:

-swiss and gruyere fondue, mixed with a roasted squash puree with a touch of freshly grated nutmeg. hoping to find a way to serve this inside a hallowed out squash... dipped with a freshly baked, sage infused baguette

-bread poppers stuffed with manchego cheese, made by hand... probably could use a dipping sauce, but need to try one first to see what will go best with it

-roasted red pepper and feta dip, to dip some carrots, celery, peppers, etc in

-cured meat platter and cheese

-shrimp cocktail, but with a romesco dipping suace instead of cocktail sauce.

Dinner:

-start things off with a chilled shot glass filled with a shot of a roasted squash curry soup, garnished with a fresh sprig of rosemary to hit the nasal senses mostly

-roasted leg of lamb, that I'll carve some garlic into baked with a rosemary bouquet with cranberry, blackberry, and coriander dipping sauce.

-turkey, stuffing, and honey baked ham of course, but spending minimal time with these... they're pretty bland on their own, and not a whole lot you can do with them as a whole

-ricotta and squash stuffed raviolis, with a sage and peppercorn browned butter sauce.. going to take ****ing forever tomorrow night to make enough raviolis to cover everyone

-sweet potato gratin with your typical Thanksgiving spices, and then I'll top it off with some pecans that I'm going to toss in a chipolte and cayenne pepper blend for a little kick

-a more standard potato gratin, with russetts. will use some manchego for the sauce, along with some fresh rosemary and thyme, then will shave some smoked gouda over the top of that.

-going to roast some baby carrots in an orange marmalade sauce, with a little hint of dill and ground mustard.

Dessert:

-pumpkin leche flan, with a roasted pumpkin seed crumble tossed with some freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon

no1curr

Old
11-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Thanksgiving menu just about complete, just need one more warm dessert and I'm good to go...

Apps:

-swiss and gruyere fondue, mixed with a roasted squash puree with a touch of freshly grated nutmeg. hoping to find a way to serve this inside a hallowed out squash... dipped with a freshly baked, sage infused baguette

-bread poppers stuffed with manchego cheese, made by hand... probably could use a dipping sauce, but need to try one first to see what will go best with it

Dinner:

-start things off with a chilled shot glass filled with a shot of a roasted squash curry soup, garnished with a fresh sprig of rosemary to hit the nasal senses mostly

-roasted leg of lamb, that I'll carve some garlic into baked with a rosemary bouquet with cranberry, blackberry, and coriander dipping sauce.

-turkey, stuffing, and honey baked ham of course, but spending minimal time with these... they're pretty bland on their own, and not a whole lot you can do with them as a whole

-ricotta and squash stuffed raviolis, with a sage and peppercorn browned butter sauce.. going to take ****ing forever tomorrow night to make enough raviolis to cover everyone

-sweet potato gratin with your typical Thanksgiving spices, and then I'll top it off with some pecans that I'm going to toss in a chipolte and cayenne pepper blend for a little kick

-a more standard potato gratin, with russetts. will use some manchego for the sauce, along with some fresh rosemary and thyme, then will shave some smoked gouda over the top of that.

-going to roast some baby carrots in an orange marmalade sauce, with a little hint of dill and ground mustard.

Dessert:

-pumpkin leche flan, with a roasted pumpkin seed crumble tossed with some freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon

no1curr
That sounds like the real deal man. How long have you been cooking?

Old
11-20-2012, 08:32 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
That sounds like the real deal man. How long have you been cooking?
About 5-6 years now, from a serious POV. I was unemployed, and living on my own... so I took on baking and making fresh pasta as a hobby to kill time, given how cheap it is to buy flour, yeast, and eggs... and that's really how it all started.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:34 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:

Apps:

Dinner:

Dessert:

no1curr

Old
11-20-2012, 09:46 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

..... hey RayP, want to be friends irl from now on? Friends where I'm from share their best cooking gladly and without complaint. So you give me that and I'll give you a poptart that I miraculously didn't burn.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
..... hey RayP, want to be friends irl from now on? Friends where I'm from share their best cooking gladly and without complaint. So you give me that and I'll give you a poptart that I miraculously didn't burn.

The drive to Atlanta from Chicago actually isn't as bad as most would think... You're more than invited to stop by.

Obviously I love to cook... so Thanksgiving is basically my Superbowl. Gotta keep a balance of hot and cold dishes, to be able to easily pull it all together once the big day hits, and that won't be an issue at all come Thursday.

And scratch the poptart. Get me a sixer or average bottle of bourbon, and I'll be happy. Hell, I'll settle for a below average bottle of Cab.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:47 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
I've found cranberries to be quite tart over the last couple of years so I've had to stop putting a dash of lemon juice into my cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving Dinner... adjusting the sugar proportions just sends everything to hell and back.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

Here's all I need: a bunch of hot rolls and good dark meat turkey to dip in mash potatoes. I will just eat that over and over. I don't need anything else. Going to be a serious glutton, but hey, it's less leftovers for all the families.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

I will hustle any of you guys at ping pong.

GOAT

Old
11-21-2012, 06:47 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Just drove past a car on 294

Hawks plates read: JOEL Q

Wasn't him, though.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I will hustle any of you guys at ping pong.

GOAT
You're supposed to say "I just started playing ping pong and I love to gamble, anyone want to play?"

Old
11-21-2012, 09:26 AM
RayP

Love ping pong, but always been terrible at it.

Real beer pong, with paddles and ****, is the worst game ever... so ****ing hard.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:31 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

I hate Beerpong (the throwing version).

Speedball, called Drunkball in some places I guess, is the best drinking game ever.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:38 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I hate Beerpong (the throwing version).

Speedball, called Drunkball in some places I guess, is the best drinking game ever.
For whatever reason, all throughout college our group called that came American Hero.

I hated that game personally... mostly because for whatever reason, I could not stop laughing no matter when it was my turn to drink, so much that I literally couldn't even drink... so we'd always lose. It was like I was stoned beyond belief or something, which most times we played I hadn't even smoked.

I don't mind beer pong when throwing at the standard triangle. It's a decent social game. Not my favorite, but it's fun enough.

My favorite drinking game, really isn't even a drinking game. Get a dart board. Pin a dollar bill over the bullseye. First shot is half the distance of a standard shot, second shot is standard distance, third shot is double standard distance. You have to hit the bill and all 3 shots one after another. It's a lot harder than it sounds. Some people play that you put a buck in the pot each time you shoot, and don't hit all 3. We normally just throw like 5 bucks in each, or play for a round of drinks if we're at a bar. It's by far my favorite game to play while drinking, and there isn't even a close second. It's so much better with real darts, but a plastic board is doable.

Usually it ends with us getting drunk, and chucking darts at a dart board from 25-30 yards away.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:47 AM
coldsteelonice84

Dammit, you're trying to get things done before the holidays and everyone is on ****ing vacation. "I'm out of the office, call XXXX", "I'm out of the office, call XXXX", "I'm out of the office, call XXXX"....the ****, did these people even talk to each other before doing this? At this point, I'm talking to people I've never even heard of and they don't know what the hell I'm talking about or how to do what needs to be done. Anyone else have this problem around holidays?

Old
11-21-2012, 09:51 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
For whatever reason, all throughout college our group called that came American Hero.

I hated that game personally... mostly because for whatever reason, I could not stop laughing no matter when it was my turn to drink, so much that I literally couldn't even drink... so we'd always lose. It was like I was stoned beyond belief or something, which most times we played I hadn't even smoked. :
We gotta be thinking of different games, nothing about my game would make anyone start laughing

Old
11-21-2012, 10:00 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Dammit, you're trying to get things done before the holidays and everyone is on ****ing vacation. "I'm out of the office, call XXXX", "I'm out of the office, call XXXX", "I'm out of the office, call XXXX"....the ****, did these people even talk to each other before doing this? At this point, I'm talking to people I've never even heard of and they don't know what the hell I'm talking about or how to do what needs to be done. Anyone else have this problem around holidays?
Boss wanted me to come in today, showed up late around 10:30 or so... and then when I get here he tells me to take off at 12:00... WTF was the point in even coming in?

Quote:
We gotta be thinking of different games, nothing about my game would make anyone start laughing
Sadly, we're talking about the same game (looked up the rules to what you called it). I'm not saying it made sense for me to laugh, and more saying that I was just an idiot. I don't know why, but I just foudn the idea of that game to be absolutely hilarious and would uncontrollably laugh every time we played.

Those were also the days that we would also play the Wisest Wizard... That was a favorite of our group for sure.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Boss wanted me to come in today, showed up late around 10:30 or so... and then when I get here he tells me to take off at 12:00... WTF was the point in even coming in?
Who knows, at least you'll be home soon. It'd be a cold day in hell when we get to leave early. As a matter of fact, it was, the day before snowmageddon we got to leave an hour early, still took me over 2 hours to get home on a 40 min. drive.

But yeah, you can only do so much on days like this, they may as well give a half day to whoever showed up.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:14 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Who knows, at least you'll be home soon. It'd be a cold day in hell when we get to leave early. As a matter of fact, it was, the day before snowmageddon we got to leave an hour early, still took me over 2 hours to get home on a 40 min. drive.

But yeah, you can only do so much on days like this, they may as well give a half day to whoever showed up.
Yeah, my boss is cool with that... and it's stories like yours there that make me so happy I'm only a 10 minute bike ride from home, regardless of weather.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:18 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Man, it'd be dangerous if I got a halfday today. Going on a bar crawl in the city tonight, no way I'm going all the way home via Oak Brook before hand. I'd be in a bar by my buddy's place by 1

Old
11-21-2012, 10:22 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Check that, getting off at 2.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:23 AM
RayP

The woman is *****ing because I've never taken her to Navy Pier. I ****ing hate Navy Pier.

Does anyone like that hell hole of a place?

Old
11-21-2012, 10:24 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

No. It blows. Just an obnoxious tourist trap loaded with seedy people.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:26 AM
RayP

Quote:
No. It blows. Just an obnoxious tourist trap loaded with seedy people.
Is the ferris wheel even worth the views? It's probably been 15+ years since I've been to NP...

Old
11-21-2012, 10:28 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

I haven't riden it since the day camp days, probably 7th grade, so I don't remember

Last time I was at Navy Pier was over the summer. Some friend of ours thought we'd all meet there for the free concert thing and fireworks they have on Saturdays. Place was so crowded and miserable, beer is overpriced. It just blows.

Closed Thread