HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL cities where hockey is #1

Old
11-21-2012, 09:30 AM
JMT21

vCash: 500
NHL cities where hockey is #1

I know this thread is similar to one already posted but thought this would be interesting.

Which NHL cities can say that hockey is it's #1 sport in popularity?

Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto

Any U.S. teams?

Detroit ?
San Jose?

JMT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
We've had this thread before.

I say none, but people make arguments for Buffalo and Detroit.

All of Minnesota, but not for the NHL.

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Only in Canada.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:42 AM
NHLsnipers

Detroit is the only maybe for US cities.

The Sabres are huge in Buffalo, but a Stanley Cup Sabres team still doesn't compare to an 8-8 Bills team.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

For the States I'd say Minnesota is the only one for sure. Detroit maybe.

That's about it outside of Canada.

In Boston it's a solid candidate for #2 but the Sox rule the roost. Even in big hockey cities like New York, Chicago, and Philly it's still 3rd or 4th.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Legionnaire11

Definitely not Detroit. It's Lions #1 there, and with the Wings early exit last season combined with the Tigers WS run and Cabrera's triple crown, now the lockout... it's probably easily Tigers at #2.

The best gauge is to listen to the local sports radio shows, in Detroit it's Lions talk. It's NFL in any NFL city. NCAAF is first or second in most other places. Wolverines football is probably even ahead of the Wings.

For Minnesota, i'm still going with the Vikings. Don't confuse hockey being very popular in the state of Minnesota for the Wild being the #1 team in Minny-St. Paul

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:56 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post

The Sabres are huge in Buffalo, but a Stanley Cup Sabres team still doesn't compare to an 8-8 Bills team.
Sabres were more popular the the Bills from 04-06 easily. In the USA Buffalo and Minnesota are the closest to being even imo. But again this is due to the fact that the Bills have not made the playoffs in 12 years, once they make it again the Bills are this cities team.

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

All the NHL cities in Canada. If Halifax, Regina, Hamilton. Quebec City have a team, it would be number 1 there too... It might be higher on the totem pole in Minnesota and Buffalo than elsewhere in the States?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

vCash: 50
Only in Canada....can't really compete with the NFL and NCAA football in the USA.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

In Boston it's a solid candidate for #2 but the Sox rule the roost. Even in big hockey cities like New York, Chicago, and Philly it's still 3rd or 4th.
you don't think the Vikings and Lions are more popular?

only in Canada is hockey the #1 sport

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

I doubt the Bruins are more popular then the Sox and Pats! I saw an article couple of months ago saying they are #4 behind the Celtics as well but I guess someone from the city can answer this

I don't think any city in the US has hockey at #1

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I am going to get technical with these. Going based off cities that have sports teams.
If we are talking professional sports, excluding universities, I would say;

Columbus Blue Jackets - Columbus, OH. Browns, Indians, Cavaliers all play in Cleveland OH.

Minnesota Wild - Saint Paul, MN. Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves play in Minneapolis, MN.

Florida Panthers - Sunrise, FL. Heat, Marlins, Dolphins play in Miami-Dade County, FL.

New York Islanders - Uniondale, NY. (for now)

So my point is, those three teams play in cities where they are the only option unless you travel to another city. Football, Baseball, and Basketball are still more popular, but since those cities don't have other sports teams, hockey wins by default.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:32 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I am going to get technical with these. Going based off cities that have sports teams.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Columbus, OH. Browns, Indians, Cavaliers all play in Cleveland OH.

Minnesota Wild - Saint Paul, MN. Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves play in Minneapolis, MN.

Florida Panthers - Sunrise, FL. Heat, Marlins, Dolphins play in Miami-Dade County, FL.

So my point is, those three teams play in cities where they are the only option unless you travel to another city. Football, Baseball, and Basketball are still more popular, but since those cities don't have other sports teams, hockey wins by default.
Buckeyes are #1 in Columbus.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Thesensation19

Its tough to ask what is #1

In New York, I dont even know whats #1 sport. It could be baseball or football. but hey even basketball the sport is huge in New York and now that it has Brooklyn and Knicks. Dam. But its extremely difficult to choose #1, theres only few places that have a certain sport directly being their most favorite.

Places that have hockey at the top 1-3...

Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Colorado, Minnesota, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, Washington.

New York has 3 NHL teams... All within a few miles with each other. New Jersey is right across the river and many New Yorkers are Devils fans. But ill admit baseball, football and bball is bigger. But being #4 or #5 sport in New York is like being #1 sport in most US NHL franchises

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
ewoksonhoth
Most People are DJ's

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post

Counting the Twin Cities in that is kind of pointless as it takes five or ten minutes max to get from downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis.

That being said, I'd say the Wild and the Vikes are pretty close running for number one. Especially if there was hockey right now, the Wild would be drawing a ton of attention.

ewoksonhoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:48 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoksonhoth View Post
Counting the Twin Cities in that is kind of pointless as it takes five or ten minutes max to get from downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis.

That being said, I'd say the Wild and the Vikes are pretty close running for number one. Especially if there was hockey right now, the Wild would be drawing a ton of attention.
No offense, but I think your dreaming. Minnesota may be "The State of Hockey" in the U.S., but it's a title that's relative to the rest of the states and in terms of of pro-sports in Minnesota sits third behind the Vikings and Twins. Their are a ton of hockey fans in Minnesota, but also a lot of teams. I know a lot of people that love the Gophers, Bulldogs, Fighting Sioux, High School Hockey but don't care at all about the Wild. For football and baseball there is no competition, and they easily are the top two sports at the moment. If the prospects turn out and Parise, Koivu and Suter lead us to sustained playoff appearances, maybe that changes. But for now it's still sitting at 3.

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Buckeyes are #1 in Columbus.
I was going off NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB.

Not AA or Universities.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
hlaverty06

If we're being technical Devils are NJs only team

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:53 AM
ewoksonhoth
Most People are DJ's

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
No offense, but I think your dreaming. Minnesota may be "The State of Hockey" in the U.S., but it's a title that's relative to the rest of the states and in terms of of pro-sports in Minnesota sits third behind the Vikings and Twins. Their are a ton of hockey fans in Minnesota, but also a lot of teams. I know a lot of people that love the Gophers, Bulldogs, Fighting Sioux, High School Hockey but don't care at all about the Wild. For football and baseball there is no competition, and they easily are the top two sports at the moment. If the prospects turn out and Parise, Koivu and Suter lead us to sustained playoff appearances, maybe that changes. But for now it's still sitting at 3.
I also know a lot of people that follow a high school team, one of the many college teams, and still follow the Wild. People just seem to want to watch hockey no matter who it is. Besides, the Twins are in the early stages of a rebuild, nobody really cares right now except for masochists that like watching their team lose 100 games a year. I'm still saying top 2, but mostly because most people just like hockey and will watch it or go see a game whenever possible even if it isn't a pro team.

ewoksonhoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:56 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
If we're being technical Devils are NJs only team
San Jose only has an NHL team, but its not out of the question the Various San Fran and Oakland MLB and NFL teams are the bigger draw.

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Atlanta.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:07 AM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

NHL #1 - every Canadian city
NHL #4(maybe #3 in a couple of cities) - every American city that has all 4 major sports

/thread

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:08 AM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Only in Canada.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePuck View Post
NHL #1 - every Canadian city
NHL #4(maybe #3 in a couple of cities) - every American city that has all 4 major sports

/thread
I'd argue Nascar and Golf would come in at #4 in several locations.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:15 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post

Wings were for a while, but that is only because the Lions and Tigers were so bad. Tigers being better the past few years and the Lions improving and the Wings are back to #3.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote