HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
11-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
If some team would give you a third for Omark you move him. And I say this as a guy who like him more than most. But I doubt you get that high a pick.

Omark turns 26 in February, which means he is one year away from UFA status as of next summer. He is also waiver eligible next summer. He does not fit in well on this team so it is time to cut ties and let him get on with his career.
A third is kindly generous. We don't know that 26 isa year away from UFA though, yet.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:20 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
A third is kindly generous. We don't know that 26 isa year away from UFA though, yet.
Ya I doubt we get a 3rd. IMO, we should be trying to flip him for someone else that's struggling, but has some size. Maybe add something and go after a guy like Nick Palmieri

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Matte99

Another goal and assist puts Omark on 22GP 9G 23A 32P and +9

Last edited by Matte99: 11-18-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Alawishis

They could use Omark in OKC right now.

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:11 AM
Thorulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawishis View Post
They could use Omark in OKC right now.
I think all the money in the world wound't convince Linus to play AHL-hockey in the Barons atm. Even if OKC would like him, it wouldn't happend.

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
I think all the money in the world wound't convince Linus to play AHL-hockey in the Barons atm. Even if OKC would like him, it wouldn't happend.
Agreed. Why go there when you can make more elsewhere and play how to your strengths? I wish him the best. Just wrong team at the wrong time. If he was five inches taller and bigger...he would be here. Too bad but I still like him.

I still see him as a European suited player though. Nothing wrong with that, just not a guy we will get much for at this point unfortunately.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:54 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I have no idea why Omark has a thread all to himself and yet Hemsky and Smid and other true NHL talents are all lumped into one that isnt even on the front page.
Actually Hemsky, Smid and the other true NHL talents are being discussed in two threads.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1257183

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1266821

Not only are both of those threads on the first page, they are both stickied.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Actually Hemsky, Smid and the other true NHL talents are being discussed in two threads.

No, Aerchon specifically was referring to threads dedicated to one player, and it is strange, that Omark has his own specific ongoing thread always here when he's not even a consideration here.

This is nation of Omark at work propping up the Omarkian one. To an audience too bored to even make other threads these days.

Reality I guess is a thread on the wonders of crazy glue would probably stay on the first page for awhile these days..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Tomas W

I not an Omark expert, but I think that Omark is the unfortunate kind of guy that he sucks at playing third line or similar defensive role, he is better suited to play first/second line hockey, but perhaps not good enough to do so in a leauge like the NHL.

In the NLA he can play the star role, and play hockey as he wants to himself, which probably suits him the best.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
I have no idea why Omark has a thread all to himself and yet Hemsky and Smid and other true NHL talents are all lumped into one that isnt even on the front page.

Bottom line. Omark has yet to prove himself at the NHL level. He has not been given as many chances as some players on the Oilers roster but by no means should this make Omark look better. In the time he has had, he does not look like NHL caliber and is old enough to be at or near his peak.

Nobody in the NHL wants this guy. Period. His stint in the Swiss league may get him another cup of coffee.

League status as it pertains to NHL level success.

1. AHL
2. KHL
3. SEL

I do not even know how pathetic the Swiss league is in comparison to the AHL but I do know most of the league leaders in points currently in the AHL will not have an NHL career.

It blows my mind that people are trying so hard to see gold where there is at best bronze.

I think Omark can be an NHL regular. But it has to be on team starved for offense and saturated on Size and grit.
I have no idea why you wrote such a long post in a thread you theoretically have no interest in.

Why don't you log into martha stewart's web forum and post something about her chicken pot pie recipe that you've never tried now?

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

The Omark thread was created before the lockout was even announced. I t was a pretty big deal league wide

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:49 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post

I see you left out Gagner

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, there is nothing wrong with this thread. The Oilers still have Omark's rights and discussion of his season in Europe is fair game. As for discussing other Oilers in Europe, there is a stickied thread right here.

As a warning, bringing up whether a topic is thread worthy or not can fall under the umbrella of playing mod, which can be infractionable.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fa...b3_board_usage

Quote:
16) Playing the Role of Moderator: You're not a moderator so don't correct posters as if you were a moderator. If a thread or post violates the rules, use the "Report This Post" button rather than playing the parent. Editorial comments on the value of a thread or post, such as "useless thread", "in before the lock", "this thread should be closed", etc., are not welcome. This also may be considered spam, as it adds nothing to the discussion, and furthermore as thread hijacking and taking the thread off topic. If you don't like a thread and it doesn't break any rules don't reply to it! More often than not, that causes more problems than it fixes. Let us handle what is ours to handle. If you're interested in becoming a moderator you can send your application to moderators@hfboards.com.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:18 PM
LaGu

I like the kid but facts are facts: Hall 21y, Eberle 22, Yakupov 19... Seeing as Omark needs 1st or 2nd line action he's up against hemsky or jones or paajarvi or smyth or Gagner or whoever to be the 4th winger... Put a fork in him.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
I disagree I think it's all about the money. Just like Seeding says he's gone to Europe because of the money. He's made if very clear he doesn't want to play for the meagerly AHL pay-cheque. And really, at this point why should he.

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:42 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I like the kid but facts are facts: Hall 21y, Eberle 22, Yakupov 19... Seeing as Omark needs 1st or 2nd line action he's up against hemsky or jones or paajarvi or smyth or Gagner or whoever to be the 4th winger... Put a fork in him.
Of course. Nobody honestly thinks there's a place on this club for Omark. Most folks just want to see him do well during this lockout so we can get something of value in return for his rights. I'm a big fan of Linus, but Yakupov brings everything Linus does times two, with about six other things thrown in, including an extra six years or so.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:12 AM
bucktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
No, Aerchon specifically was referring to threads dedicated to one player, and it is strange, that Omark has his own specific ongoing thread always here when he's not even a consideration here.
Speaking for everyone now? Would you rather go back to having multiple threads in which to bash omark and his supporters?

Quote:
This is nation of Omark at work propping up the Omarkian one. To an audience too bored to even make other threads these days.
One could argue that he's propping himself up based on his production, and I for one value having a thread that is updated with his progress, good or bad. Like it or not he is oilers property as well as a much debated topic. Seperating this from the other "oilers overseas" thread keeps it from coming off the rails I would think.

Quote:
Reality I guess is a thread on the wonders of crazy glue would probably stay on the first page for awhile these days..
Agreed. I might actually prefer that topic to all the asinine conjecture in the lockout, proposal, and arena threads.

edit: on topic, its nice to see that his ankle injury hasn't slowed him down much, and that he is capable of producing when put in a situation conducive to his success. (be it larger ice, weaker competition, stronger line-mates, style of play, confidence, coaching, quality of goalies etc etc.) The fact that he hasn't "lost his mojo", and is consistently putting points on the board over a decent sample size of games, is reassuring.

Last edited by bucktown: 11-21-2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: topic
bucktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Aerchon

bucktown: I can not say I was perfectly clear in what I was trying to say but I thought it simple and straightforward enough. Replacement understood where I was comming from and thankfuly posted as much.

It is very strange that such a relatively insignificant player is so talked about. The backlash I got for my post, which has negatives and positives in it, only proves how strange the circumstances are with this player on these boards.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
bucktown: I can not say I was perfectly clear in what I was trying to say but I thought it simple and straightforward enough. Replacement understood where I was comming from and thankfuly posted as much.

It is very strange that such a relatively insignificant player is so talked about. The backlash I got for my post, which has negatives and positives in it, only proves how strange the circumstances are with this player on these boards.
I think there's a bit of insinuation in statements like these and from other posters, Replacement included, that Omark shouldn't be talked about or should be talked about less. Certainly it has been acknowledged by most that Omark has only but the remotest of chances to play for the Oilers and the best thing for the team to do is to get something of value for him from another team.

I think what most posters in this thread who are excited that Omark is putting up numbers and thus hopefully upping his trade stock are upset about is other posters trying to tell them what they should and should not post about or get excited about. I'm not sure where it comes from with the posters who are seemingly anti-Omark, possibly from a legitimate dislike for Omark himself, or maybe they want to see Omark disappear for nothing so they can add that to the pile of things that the current management team has bumbled. This is merely conjecture. Whatever the reason I know for myself that it is frustrating to have another poster be dismissive of something seemingly for the reason of just being negative or again trying to tell me I shouldn't get excited about something.

I'm not suggesting that you are being specifically negative, as you said yourself you had positives and negatives in your post. I'm just trying to explain where some of the frustration comes from in the "pro-Omark" or maybe "pro-Oilers" segment of posters in this thread. Adding to the conversation is great but there are definitely some negative comments in this thread where you wonder why people would even bother posting.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
I think there's a bit of insinuation in statements like these and from other posters, Replacement included, that Omark shouldn't be talked about or should be talked about less. Certainly it has been acknowledged by most that Omark has only but the remotest of chances to play for the Oilers and the best thing for the team to do is to get something of value for him from another team.

I think what most posters in this thread who are excited that Omark is putting up numbers and thus hopefully upping his trade stock are upset about is other posters trying to tell them what they should and should not post about or get excited about. I'm not sure where it comes from with the posters who are seemingly anti-Omark, possibly from a legitimate dislike for Omark himself, or maybe they want to see Omark disappear for nothing so they can add that to the pile of things that the current management team has bumbled. This is merely conjecture. Whatever the reason I know for myself that it is frustrating to have another poster be dismissive of something seemingly for the reason of just being negative or again trying to tell me I shouldn't get excited about something.

I'm not suggesting that you are being specifically negative, as you said yourself you had positives and negatives in your post. I'm just trying to explain where some of the frustration comes from in the "pro-Omark" or maybe "pro-Oilers" segment of posters in this thread. Adding to the conversation is great but there are definitely some negative comments in this thread where you wonder why people would even bother posting.
Good post. Seriously, as has been said many times - you don't want to hear/read about Omark, x out the thread, don't click on it, and certainly don't reply.

Myself, I very much enjoyed his game in his rookie season. Despite some holes in his game, I think he's one of the most creative players I have ever seen. Last year was not great, but I think that's partly on him, and partly on the black hole of suck that is Belanger.

Happy to see him still doing well in Switzerland.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:35 PM
bucktown

Quote:

great post.

Quote:

It was clear and straightforward. You are an omark detractor and feel that he isn't worthy of a self titled thread. If hes so insignificant, why would you come in to, let alone post in, a thread based on the upward trend of of a player that you despise so?

And speaking of clear and straightforward you're surprised you got backlash, in an omark thread, from your ever so diplomatic post?

~10 negatives and one dab of positive fine print does not a fence sitter make.

Is it not possible, based on 16 pages of responses and a thread that is a front page fixture, that it/he is not so insignificant? The only strange circumstance here is that omark is a polarizing player that brings the trolls out, (on BOTH sides of the bridge), and people continue to have the "last word" on what omark is/will be instead of just having a personal opinion.

bucktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:40 PM
LaGu

I for one (full disclosure: I'm a Swede) am happy to see that 'the Omark' is still able to attract enough interest amongst hfboarders to sustain a thread .

I always like to follow the Swedes in NA and was happy when some arrived to the Oilers which has been my club since the time I realized that Euro-hockey just didn't managed to make the cut anymore (for me that is). Despite the fact that Omark was never a big thing for me personally, I must admit that I've thoroughly enjoyed the back and forth on these boards since his arrival. The negative as well as the positive, and I've happily taken part in it more than once. Sometimes I think that the hardcore pro-Omarkians need to remember that all publicity is good publicity though...

The reasons for the thread I think is obvious. It's always easier to sustain a thread for a "fringe-player" (is that the right word???) since there will be a lot of back and forth. Threads for Ebs, Hall or RNH are easier to ignore since the public opinion about these kind of players is kind of set already and after a while it gets boring to see that everyone basically agrees with your own opinion... Furthermore, say what you want about Omark, but he does hit the buttons for more than a few posters... I suppose it depends on the fact that when not playing in NA he is able to put up big numbers and, maybe more importantly, being a small guy playing flashy and with his own kind of grit.

Anyway, go Omark! Time to overtake Brunner in the Swiss scoring league and increase your worth to a 2nd round pick!! You can do it!

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Tw0Shoes

I don't know why, but I feel as though this is the appropriate thread to put this in. The other day (Nov.18th) Robbie Schremp was sent to the KHL minors.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
I don't know why, but I feel as though this is the appropriate thread to put this in. The other day (Nov.18th) Robbie Schremp was sent to the KHL minors.
That's weird, I decided to go to his hockeydb page and discovered the last NHL team he played for was the Thrashers. I had no idea. Always thought he'd gone to Europe after his stint in Long Island.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:

ftr I haven't responded to this, or Bucktowns post because its already been suggested by mods that the topic move back to the player and which I supported by not furthering this argument post moderation. I certainly can back my points and would were it not for respecting the mods stated wishes for this thread. Either yourself or Bucktown can discuss this matter with me in pm without any need to assume anything.

Good for Omark that he's producing at a high rate. The big question, as always is what does he do on the NHL side. Theres never been a notion expressed once by me that Omark isn't a competent producer in Europe. But Europe results, and as clearly indicated in this player instance, do not necessarily convey increased value and results here. Although perhaps in the minds of some GM's an increase in value will occur. My comments were more specific to Omarks value within this org, and an org that has fairly signalled what that value is.

Finally, and a related point, is I'm not convinced what Omark is doing in Europe will parlay to increased trade value for the Oilers due to Tambo not being a notable horse trader, and due to a general lack of due diligence of the Oilers. I would wonder if Oiler scouts are even watching Omark to monitor progress and value. Perhaps they are. People can cite this if it is noted.

Hope this is clear and deemed on topic.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-22-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote