HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Healthier electrolyte drink than gator/powerade?

Old
11-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
G2 gatorade before the game, Smart Water during the game. Water enhanced with electrolytes, it aint cheap though.
You could add a pinch of salt and a pinch of salt substitute to tap water and get the same thing more or less for a couple pennies

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about fat free milk being good after a game?
There's quite a bit out there about low fat chocolate milk being an ideal post-sports drink. It has a lot of sugar for glycogen replenishment and enough protein for muscle recovery. Plus if you buy milk by the gallon and add in say Nesquik or Ovaltine or whatever, you get some additional vitamins which can't hurt.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:47 PM
noobman

Maybe it's because my family's from the Carribean, but I love me some coconut water after just about any strenuous exercise.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:42 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You could add a pinch of salt and a pinch of salt substitute to tap water and get the same thing more or less for a couple pennies

There's quite a bit out there about low fat chocolate milk being an ideal post-sports drink. It has a lot of sugar for glycogen replenishment and enough protein for muscle recovery. Plus if you buy milk by the gallon and add in say Nesquik or Ovaltine or whatever, you get some additional vitamins which can't hurt.
I stick with what works. As long as I feel 100% during the game and the next day then that's my program.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:55 PM
ArcataShark
Self/EnTitled

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Generally...

Pre workout -- you have some protein and fat about an hour of start (not too many calories though)... Also make sure you're properly hydrated going in.
Btw the reason banana before a game would probably make you feel worse is that it actually has a fairly high glycemic load, so sugar cramps.

During work -- just water is all you should need unless you're doing a marathon session over 2h.

Post workout recovery -- bit of protein and some veggie carbs (like whole carrots, cucumbers seem to work good for me too) immediately (within 0.5h)... in the 0.5-1.5h (assuming 1h of work) after, have a sweet potato for carbs and some more protein. Also dark green veggies You don't really want fruit sugars because they go directly to your liver first, and then any leftovers go to the muscles.

Later on in the evening for the potassium a banana, or pineapple is good. Avocado also is a great source of potassium as well being a good fat source.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Guffaw

You don't need anything but water during a game. You aren't running a marathon.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:57 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
You don't need anything but water during a game. You aren't running a marathon.
im the same, i have been given a box of these ironman perform drinks that ive been testing out about 1/2 hr before game time. seem pretty good, but i guess the point to all this is that there is soooooooo many things out there when it comes to sports performance, and it may just take some trying out and what your looking for...if a drink would have that much of a impact though, i would argue that the issue starts long before someone hits the ice. its why pro athlete's have such crazy routines and will often eat the same thing at the same time

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Kulluminati

Just dilute the Gatorade with water. I don't have any health issues with Gatorade, however I find it too sweet and this makes it taste a lot better.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:36 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooah4 View Post
V8 has more electrolytes than any of the mentioned drinks here. Tough to slug down during a game though.
It's less about raw amounts and more about the balance. I think if V8 was actually effective at improving hydration, they'd be advertising that fact.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote