Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Winnipeg Blue Bombers/CFL Thread Pt. 2 - Fire Mack Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 12:22 AM
blueandgoldguy

vCash: 500
The best Qb the Bombers have had since Khari is now in the Grey Cup game with the Stamps courtesy an excellent performance with 300+ yards passing and 3 Tds. Thanks to Mike ***hat Kelly and all the Kevin Glenn haters for driving him out of town in 2008 for NOTHING!

Old
11-19-2012, 12:40 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Yup definitely should've kept that guy.

Mike Kelly was such a huge mistake.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:35 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The best Qb the Bombers have had since Khari is now in the Grey Cup game with the Stamps courtesy an excellent performance with 300+ yards passing and 3 Tds. Thanks to Mike ***hat Kelly and all the Kevin Glenn haters for driving him out of town in 2008 for NOTHING!
I agree...big mistake. You never get rid of a QB until you know you have something better to replace him with.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:02 PM
sully1410

Anyone know how long his contract is? Maybe we could sign him back this year.

I remember a while back someone said that Glenn could never win the big one, I'd completely forgotten that he had broken his arm getting the bombers to the grey cup.

Good for him that he gets a second chance at it. I said all along that Calgary was going all the way.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post

I remember a while back someone said that Glenn could never win the big one, I'd completely forgotten that he had broken his arm getting the bombers to the grey cup.

Good for him that he gets a second chance at it. I said all along that Calgary was going all the way.
Still think we easily win the 07 grey cup if Glenn doesn't break his arm in garbage time in that East final...I remember saying like 2 plays before he got hurt, why the hell is Glenn still in the game

I am pretty shocked that Calgary managed to take out BC, thought BC would win it all. I figured that Calgary was the only team that could have challenged BC, good for them pulling that win out. Tate getting hurt last week might have been a bit of blessing in disguise, as Tate was clearly rusty and not 100% healthy in the west-semi. That injury eliminated the QB controversy. The guy who led them the whole way this year in Glenn was the right choice for the playoffs, IMO.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Still think we easily win the 07 grey cup if Glenn doesn't break his arm in garbage time in that East final...I remember saying like 2 plays before he got hurt, why the hell is Glenn still in the game

I am pretty shocked that Calgary managed to take out BC, thought BC would win it all. I figured that Calgary was the only team that could have challenged BC, good for them pulling that win out. Tate getting hurt last week might have been a bit of blessing in disguise, as Tate was clearly rusty and not 100% healthy in the west-semi. That injury eliminated the QB controversy. The guy who led them the whole way this year in Glenn was the right choice for the playoffs, IMO.
because our offence was stinking up the place, we were not running away with it.

And even Sask fans think we would have won if glenn was in. Never liked lefors

Its a non-issue, handled internally

Old
11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
because our offence was stinking up the place, we were not running away with it.

And even Sask fans think we would have won if glenn was in. Never liked lefors

Its a non-issue, handled internally

Ryan Dinwiddie was the backup for the 07 season, he made his first career start in that Grey Cup game.

It was Doug Berry that was the head coach during that time as well.

One of Mike Kelly's very first moves, before even interviewing the players or taking stock of the system was to release Glenn, brilliant genius that he is...

Old
11-19-2012, 01:27 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Ryan Dinwiddie was the backup for the 07 season, he made his first career start in that Grey Cup game.

It was Doug Berry that was the head coach during that time as well.

One of Mike Kelly's very first moves, before even interviewing the players or taking stock of the system was to release Glenn, brilliant genius that he is...
If I remember, the Bombers were driving in Sask territory late in the 4th, and Dinwiddie had yards of space in front of him to run for a 1st down but tried to force a throw that went incomplete instead. Even without Glenn they almost won.

I hope Glenn wins it. His treatment here was pretty unfair.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:18 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
If I remember, the Bombers were driving in Sask territory late in the 4th, and Dinwiddie had yards of space in front of him to run for a 1st down but tried to force a throw that went incomplete instead. Even without Glenn they almost won.

I hope Glenn wins it. His treatment here was pretty unfair.
Yup, here's the play, see the space/time he had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lMGYc6w#t=251s

Old
11-19-2012, 07:38 PM
sully1410

God. I remember that.

It also would have helped if he didn't throw 3int.

But rookie mistake. He did pretty good despite it being his first game.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:22 PM
puck stoppa

Hung out with Buck on Saturday night, he came out to support a fundraiser for the team I coach. He takes a lot of flack cause of his injuries and such, but I must say he gives up a lot of his time for community appearances. He signed all autographs and posed for pics and was a true gent. He's from Cali and spends his time in Wpg over the winter. He goes around to many different communities over the winter and gives up his time and I must commend him for this as If I were him I would head back to Cali for the winter. I hope the team can keep him as a vetran backup next year as he has good leadership skills and is good for the community. Sign Reilly and keep him as the Glenn of this BB team.
He also had fun that night and told many football stories and racked up a $1700 limo bill back to the Peg for him and his two buddies, but according to him that was only 3 days work, what a beauty!

Old
11-19-2012, 08:33 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Hung out with Buck on Saturday night, he came out to support a fundraiser for the team I coach. He takes a lot of flack cause of his injuries and such, but I must say he gives up a lot of his time for community appearances. He signed all autographs and posed for pics and was a true gent. He's from Cali and spends his time in Wpg over the winter. He goes around to many different communities over the winter and gives up his time and I must commend him for this as If I were him I would head back to Cali for the winter. I hope the team can keep him as a vetran backup next year as he has good leadership skills and is good for the community. Sign Reilly and keep him as the Glenn of this BB team.
He also had fun that night and told many football stories and racked up a $1700 limo bill back to the Peg for him and his two buddies, but according to him that was only 3 days work, what a beauty!
That's awesome. I've always thought he was a cool dude.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:59 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Good story thanks Puck Stoppa!

Buck is one of the good guys in the CFL

Old
11-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Good story thanks Puck Stoppa!

Buck is one of the good guys in the CFL

True that! It would be great for the team have him stick around in some capacity if he isn't the starter.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:56 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:

He is signed through next season. Regardless of the outcome of the Grey Cup, Calgary would be wise to keep him due to Tate's injury issues this past season. Good insurance and he came at a fairly cheap price (rmoured to be in the $150 - $200 000 range).

Old
11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
He is signed through next season. Regardless of the outcome of the Grey Cup, Calgary would be wise to keep him due to Tate's injury issues this past season. Good insurance and he came at a fairly cheap price (rmoured to be in the $150 - $200 000 range).
All depends, his contract is all incentive based. Probably made close to 325k this year once it's all said and done

Old
11-20-2012, 04:25 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
All depends, his contract is all incentive based. Probably made close to 325k this year once it's all said and done
Really? Hmmmm, more expensive than I thought if true. Still, I would keep him if I was Calgary. Tate has only started less than 10 games after all. Not a proven commodity just yet, although I think he will be a good one.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Really? Hmmmm, more expensive than I thought if true. Still, I would keep him if I was Calgary. Tate has only started less than 10 games after all. Not a proven commodity just yet, although I think he will be a good one.
Question is though, will Glenn want to stay as a backup next year? I could see him being ok coming into this year as the backup as he was just average in Hamilton, but now with EDM and WPG is dire straits looking for QB's and Glenn coming a pretty successful season I don't see him being very happy to be relegated behind Tate next year. I gotta think that Glenn will ask out of Calgary if they plan to go with Tate.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:04 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Question is though, will Glenn want to stay as a backup next year? I could see him being ok coming into this year as the backup as he was just average in Hamilton, but now with EDM and WPG is dire straits looking for QB's and Glenn coming a pretty successful season I don't see him being very happy to be relegated behind Tate next year. I gotta think that Glenn will ask out of Calgary if they plan to go with Tate.
Personally, I thought Glenn was above average in Hamilton. Came off the bench partway through the seaon to replace an ineffective Quinton Porter and put up good numbers, Played a good playoff game against Toronto but lost in overtime. In 2010, he posted very good regular season numbers, arguably his best ever, but he had a mediocre playoff game losing to the Argos again..although some of the blame could be place on Bruce for not being able to corral a slightly overthrown ball. In 2011, he played good in the regular season despite the coaches constant shuffling of QBs, especially late in the season. He had an excellent playoff game against Calvillo in Montreal no less, but played poorly in Winnipeg before being knocked out in the second half with an injury.

That's his weakness, he has yet to play well in cold conditions. With Hamilton, the reason the team was around .500 is because he was surrounded with an average supporting cast..especially on defense. My point is pretty much proven this year. Henry Burris, a supposedly superior Qb in everyway to Glenn, comes in and passes for 5000+ yards and 40+ TDs and yet the team finishes with a worse record than they ever had with Glenn. It comes down to the supporting cast.

Glenn goes to Calgary, takes over for Tate during the second game, has a few bumps along the way, but leads his team to a 12 - 6 record. All the while putting up similar numbers to those in Hamilton and in Winnipeg (2006 and 2007).

Glenn is a good QB who can take a good supporting cast to the Grey Cup. He is not a great QB who can take an average team on his back and carry them through the playoffs to victory. If he came to Winnipeg, which has a very suspect supporting cast right now, I think it would only be worth a few more wins to us - probably 9 wins total. He would be in the same situation he was in in Hamilton and a good portion os his time in Winnipeg. Probably not a Grey Cup contender here until key positions on the team are resolvedlike O-line, SAM linebacker, secondary and D-line, possibly another impact receiver as well.

I think Glenn would be fine with one more year in Calgary and after that end up as a free agent pickup in Ottawa. He would be 35 by then and I could see him playing another 2 - 3 years. Plus, it's closer to home for him, an added bonus.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:05 PM
puck stoppa

Yawn.... I love Ottawa, their 14th chance in this league. How about get your head out of your ass people and put a team in the east coast before you go back to Ottawa.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:48 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Yawn.... I love Ottawa, their 14th chance in this league. How about get your head out of your ass people and put a team in the east coast before you go back to Ottawa.
I KNOW RIGHT?

I don't get it. This is what? The third time they've gotten a team now? Jesus, give another place a team. Like Halifax, they've been crying for one for years!

But then people actually try to justify this to me...it feels like I'm taking crazy pills!

Old
11-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Personally, I thought Glenn was above average in Hamilton.
...While I would generally agree he was solid if unspectacular in Hamilton, I still have my doubts Glenn would be willing to take a backup spot at this point, especially after leading Calgary to the Grey Cup. We'll see I guess.

Quote:
I KNOW RIGHT?

I don't get it. This is what? The third time they've gotten a team now? Jesus, give another place a team. Like Halifax, they've been crying for one for years!

But then people actually try to justify this to me...it feels like I'm taking crazy pills!
Sigh...and where would Halifax play exactly? Who exactly has been crying for one, when they do not have stadium to play in? Not to mention the very small population. The only place even close to viable in Moncton due their 10K expandable to 20K stadium and central location so they can draw from all around the Martimes (Halifax, Fredricton, Charlottetown, Quebec?, etc) all within a reasonable driving distance.

Of ALL freaking places you'd think people in Winnipeg would understand that circumstances change. I am unfamiliar with the circumstances of the first Ottawa move, but I can tell you the Renegades were not given ONE single chance thanks to those clowns that owned the team, the Gliebermans. They had a very solid fanbase in place but completely screwed everything up beyond belief. It went beyond bad teams, it was the alienation of the fanbase with stupid gimmicks, and other things like that. The stadium was so bad it had to be condemned shortly after the franchise folded. Not too mention that it was during some much much leaner times, during the same period TOR and HAM were purchased by the league to save them, this league could easily be OTT instead of HAM or TOR right now. Half aware management, rebuilt stadium and OTT will be a pretty fine franchise.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
sully1410

Quote:
...While I would generally agree he was solid if unspectacular in Hamilton, I still have my doubts Glenn would be willing to take a backup spot at this point, especially after leading Calgary to the Grey Cup. We'll see I guess.

Sigh...and where would Halifax play exactly? Who exactly has been crying for one, when they do not have stadium to play in? Not to mention the very small population. The only place even close to viable in Moncton due their 10K expandable to 20K stadium and central location so they can draw from all around the Martimes (Halifax, Fredricton, Charlottetown, Quebec?, etc) all within a reasonable driving distance.

Of ALL freaking places you'd think people in Winnipeg would understand that circumstances change. I am unfamiliar with the circumstances of the first Ottawa move, but I can tell you the Renegades were not given ONE single chance thanks to those clowns that owned the team, the Gliebermans. They had a very solid fanbase in place but completely screwed everything up beyond belief. It went beyond bad teams, it was the alienation of the fanbase with stupid gimmicks, and other things like that. The stadium was so bad it had to be condemned shortly after the franchise folded. Not too mention that it was during some much much leaner times, during the same period TOR and HAM were purchased by the league to save them, this league could easily be OTT instead of HAM or TOR right now. Half aware management, rebuilt stadium and OTT will be a pretty fine franchise.
Have you ever been to Halifax? You ask anybody on the street and they want a pro sports team. It is a prime location because it won't have any competition. And small population? What are you talking about? It has almost 400,000 people, not to mention a rather large military base that has people in and out of it all the time. It's bigger then Regina, which somehow supports a team. That's not even including the surrounding area...just Halifax.

And your right. Right now there isn't the infrastructure...but do you not think that there could have been if the league and the city had planned for it? It's not like the team was going to be moving in the next day or anything.

On top of that, St. Mary's, Dalhousie, Atlantic university and mount Saint Vincent university all have football teams, and it's not uncommon for a CFL team to piggy back on the university. Off the top of my head, Calgary does it with UofC at McMahon and I have a feeling the Als do as well.

As for the Renegades...I have a very hard time believing that poor management will cause the league to step in and suspend the team in four years. They didn't try and a new owner. They didn't try new management. They stepped and suspended the team indefinitely. I have a hard time believing that that happened with a devoted fan base as you so put it. Glieberman owned the rough riders, which is why when the team returned, it couldn't use the name. He didn't buy the team until 2005, and the team folded in 06, so your trying to tell me that he somehow mismanaged the the team enough in one year to cause it to fold?

The original rough riders folded, at least in part, because people lost interest in that city. Even with their 9 grey cup wins. Hosting it in 88, and being a dominant force in the 70's and 80's....it had a few losing seasons in the 90's and people stopped showing up.

Same kind of thing happened in 2006.

Oh yes, Ottawa is a prime location for a football team. So it can fold. Again.

I reserve the right to say I told you so when it happens.

Last edited by sully1410: 11-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old
11-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Have you ever been to Halifax? You ask anybody on the street and they want a pro sports team. It is a prime location because it won't have any competition.

And your right. Right now there isn't the infrastructure...but do you not think that there could have been if the league and the city had planned for it? It's not like the team was going to be moving in the next day or anything.

On top of that, St. Mary's, Dalhousie, Atlantic university and mount Saint Vincent university all have football teams, and it's not uncommon for a CFL team to piggy back on the university. Off the top of my head, Calgary does it with UofC at McMahon and I have a feeling the Als do as well.

As for the Renegades...I have a very hard time believing that poor management will cause the league to step in and suspend the team in four years. They didn't try and a new owner. They didn't try new management. They stepped and suspended the team indefinitely. I have a hard time believing that that happened with a devoted fan base as you so put it. Glieberman owned the rough riders, which is why when the team returned, it couldn't use the name. He didn't buy the team until 2005, and the team folded in 06, so your trying to tell me that he somehow mismanaged the the team enough in one year to cause it to fold?

The original rough riders folded, at least in part, because people lost interest in that city. Even with their 9 grey cup wins. Hosting it in 88, and being a dominant force in the 70's and 80's....it had a few losing seasons in the 90's and people stopped showing up.

Same kind of thing happened in 2006.

Oh yes, Ottawa is a prime location for a football team. So it can fold. Again.

I reserve the right to say I told you so when it happens.
You have that right. But personally I believe the team will have no problems, it was a different world in 96 when pro teams were leaving Canada in droves and the Ottawa Rough Riders had been badly mismanaged for years, and the Renegades were completely mishandled in a POS stadium, IMO.

I have been to Halifax. If there was all this support, why are they not building a stadium? The largest stadium is 4K. Smaller than the University Stadium we currently have. If there is so much support why are they not planning for the stadium, attracting an owner, talking to the CFL, trying to get a TD Atlantic, etc...

My one impression is though...it's small. At best the area is 400K, although that's a fairly large area, but doable. I suppose. It would take tremendous support from the community, remember this is a base without the amount of coporate support of an ANY other team in the league, Halifax does not have the corporations other major cities have. That being said CFL is not as corporation driven as the other leagues.

Could it work in Halifax? Perhaps. Right now I'd put them as 4th on the list of places I think the CFL should go. Ottawa first, due to willing ownership, a stadium being renovated and a built in starting fanbase. Quebec needs to get off their ass and build a stadium for a CFL team, football is bigger in Quebec right now than anywhere else in Canada, why in the hell Quebec City does not have a team I have no idea, again a stadium problem. 3rd I would put Moncton. They have the stadium (little on the small side), building the fanbase with TD Atlantic, and if they market it as a "Maritime team" they should be able to draw from Halifax (400K <3 hours), Fredricton (100K <2hours), Saint John (130K <2hours), Charlottetown (70K 2hours) on top of 140K from itself. With a league like the CFL it is possible to draw from that far away. The central location and stadium are really what puts it far ahead of Halifax for me right now.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:35 AM
sully1410

Quote:
You have that right. But personally I believe the team will have no problems, it was a different world in 96 when pro teams were leaving Canada in droves and the Ottawa Rough Riders had been badly mismanaged for years, and the Renegades were completely mishandled in a POS stadium, IMO.

I have been to Halifax. If there was all this support, why are they not building a stadium? The largest stadium is 4K. Smaller than the University Stadium we currently have. If there is so much support why are they not planning for the stadium, attracting an owner, talking to the CFL, trying to get a TD Atlantic, etc...

My one impression is though...it's small. At best the area is 400K, although that's a fairly large area, but doable. I suppose. It would take tremendous support from the community, remember this is a base without the amount of coporate support of an ANY other team in the league, Halifax does not have the corporations other major cities have. That being said CFL is not as corporation driven as the other leagues.

Could it work in Halifax? Perhaps. Right now I'd put them as 4th on the list of places I think the CFL should go. Ottawa first, due to willing ownership, a stadium being renovated and a built in starting fanbase. Quebec needs to get off their ass and build a stadium for a CFL team, football is bigger in Quebec right now than anywhere else in Canada, why in the hell Quebec City does not have a team I have no idea, again a stadium problem. 3rd I would put Moncton. They have the stadium (little on the small side), building the fanbase with TD Atlantic, and if they market it as a "Maritime team" they should be able to draw from Halifax (400K <3 hours), Fredricton (100K <2hours), Saint John (130K <2hours), Charlottetown (70K 2hours) on top of 140K from itself. With a league like the CFL it is possible to draw from that far away. The central location and stadium are really what puts it far ahead of Halifax for me right now.
We have no idea whether or not that they've done those things or not. Quebec City should have a team, I agree. They may not have been on top of getting that stuff(QC an Halifax both) because in no altogether certain how aggressive the cfl is about expanding. This country could support 12 teams for sure, but it's on the CFL to actually see that it happens.

Halifax is almost as central as Moncton. The only downside is the lack of stadium, and that could be fixed.

Closed Thread