HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mark Jankowski - Providence College, HE (2012, 21st overall, Calgary)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2012, 09:43 PM
  #301
franfrey*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Well it's nice to see the Oilers' third rounder out of the BCHL doing as well as the Great Jank in the NCAA!!

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:48 PM
  #302
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
Well it's nice to see the Oilers' third rounder out of the BCHL doing as well as the Great Jank in the NCAA!!
Guess its too bad the Oilers player is no match for the Flames 7th round pick.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:48 PM
  #303
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
Well it's nice to see the Oilers' third rounder out of the BCHL doing as well as the Great Jank in the NCAA!!
And the Flames 7th rounder is at a point per game through 12 games.

Good thing we're talking about potential though, and not how the kids are playing now.

Nick Bjugstad had 20 points in his first college season, and now he's regarded as the best prospect in the NCAA.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:40 PM
  #304
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Guess its too bad the Oilers player is no match for the Flames 7th round pick.
Luckily for all of us, stats don't tell us the whole story. Just look at Brett "I'm a defenseman?" Kulak who seems to be putting up fairly decent stats or big Curtis "What Offense?" Hamilton

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:44 PM
  #305
FoppaForsberg*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Luckily for all of us, stats don't tell us the whole story. Just look at Brett "I'm a defenseman?" Kulak who seems to be putting up fairly decent stats or big Curtis "What Offense?" Hamilton
What are you even talking about.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:52 PM
  #306
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post
What are you even talking about.
Ok... Let me try and spell this out for you. Yourface said, how it's nice to see Khaira is outscoring Jankowski, and then Gary83 said how Deblouw is outscoring both of them... Therefore, I commented that it's lucky that stats don't tell the whole story for prospects and gave an example from Calgary and Edmonton where the stats are misleading... Or is that still confusing?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:54 PM
  #307
FoppaForsberg*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ok... Let me try and spell this out for you. Yourface said, how it's nice to see Khaira is outscoring Jankowski, and then Gary83 said how Deblouw is outscoring both of them... Therefore, I commented that it's lucky that stats don't tell the whole story for prospects and gave an example from Calgary and Edmonton where the stats are misleading... Or is that still confusing?
I understood perfectly fine, it was just an ignorant thing to say.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:06 AM
  #308
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post
I understood perfectly fine, it was just an ignorant thing to say.
It's ignorant to say that the stats don't tell the whole story? Ok... Maybe you could talk Calgary fans into flipping us Jankowski for Khaira then?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:15 AM
  #309
Money Baer
COYS
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 50
I think "YourFace" accomplished his mission by derailing this thread.... It's sad when someone finds joy in trolling other teams prospects....

Lets just ignore him/them.

Jankowski's plays again tomorrow! Lets hope for another strong game offensively.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:02 AM
  #310
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I'd say a comparable situation (not player) would be Chris Kreider. I remember the write up in THN's draft edition described scouting his games like watching Gretzky at a pick up game, does he look impressive because he actually is, or because the competition makes him look good. Fast forward to his first season at BC and the numbers were solid (17-9-26 in 40 games) for a rook, but not mind blowing by any means. Jankowski chose the right path to develop the biggest weakness to his game (size and strength, light schedule and university training facility should remedy that).

With that said, as an Oiler fan I'm hoping he is Riley Nash v2.0.
I think Bjugstad is a better comparable situation and player.

First round pick out of high school, went directly to the NCAA, big center. Take the first halfish of the season to adjust and then come on strong late in the season.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:17 AM
  #311
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,933
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I think Bjugstad is a better comparable situation and player.

First round pick out of high school, went directly to the NCAA, big center. Take the first halfish of the season to adjust and then come on strong late in the season.
Yeah thats a pretty good comparable.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:31 PM
  #312
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,880
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It's ignorant to say that the stats don't tell the whole story? Ok... Maybe you could talk Calgary fans into flipping us Jankowski for Khaira then?
I think he was saying what yourface was saying was ignorant as he was suggesting that the oilers 3rd rounder is just as good.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:32 PM
  #313
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,880
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I think Bjugstad is a better comparable situation and player.

First round pick out of high school, went directly to the NCAA, big center. Take the first halfish of the season to adjust and then come on strong late in the season.
I think that is a very good comparable and I hope that Janko can find the same kind of success that Bjugstad has.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:00 PM
  #314
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
agreed. I think 205 is a realistic expectation... He could probably hit 210, but it would take a lot of work.
If he is still growing he won't quite begin to fill out until he is done. Some people who appear as ectomorphs when they are younger, change dramatically physically around 18-22, metabolism slows down and putting on weight becomes easier.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:07 PM
  #315
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I think he was saying what yourface was saying was ignorant as he was suggesting that the oilers 3rd rounder is just as good.
That's what confuses me. I was agreeing with you guys that Jankowski is better, so I'm not sure what he's on about in regards to my post

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:43 PM
  #316
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,549
vCash: 500
At this pace, I'm not so sure he's going to be the greatest player of all time.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:50 PM
  #317
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
If he is still growing he won't quite begin to fill out until he is done. Some people who appear as ectomorphs when they are younger, change dramatically physically around 18-22, metabolism slows down and putting on weight becomes easier.
It's not that their metabolism slows, its just that their bodies stop growing height wise. So it allows their caloric intake to be transferred from growth in bone structure, muscle (to compensate for bone growth etc), and the focus is then simply only on muscle growth and energy requirements for the normal day.

Metabolism slowing down is often a misnomer. It does as one ages but its often misunderstood for a more sedentary lifestyle.

Metabolism really slows down only when a person stops exercising. That's what leads to the popular weight gain after a person stops growing. Metabolism slowing down is a result of this, not the cause.

If you exercise, metabolism can stay constant and be controlled.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:14 PM
  #318
FoppaForsberg*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I think he was saying what yourface was saying was ignorant as he was suggesting that the oilers 3rd rounder is just as good.
Bingo.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:23 AM
  #319
Haatley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Im happy for jank. if he put up 7 pts in 10 games as a rookie during adjustment period on a low scoring team, that im excited to see the next few yeas of development.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:45 AM
  #320
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Highlights from last nights game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acp4r...ature=youtu.be

Jankowski (#10) has the primary assists on goals #3 and #6. He also scores goal #4.
i couldn't get passed that pass by the Huskies player at 2:09...wow.

maplehawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:05 AM
  #321
Larry Hoover
Registered User
 
Larry Hoover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
agreed. I think 205 is a realistic expectation... He could probably hit 210, but it would take a lot of work.
You mean goals, right? Not 205 points - 205 goals.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:26 AM
  #322
Money Baer
COYS
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
You mean goals, right? Not 205 points - 205 goals.
weight.

maybe I'm not catching the sarcasm?

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:19 AM
  #323
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,933
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
You mean goals, right? Not 205 points - 205 goals.
Hat tricks.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:17 AM
  #324
Flames1217
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Anyone know if the game is televised tonight, and maybe know where i would be able to find a link? Been dying to see this kid play but really never had the chance yet. Would be much appreciated!

Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:49 AM
  #325
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Anyone know if the game is televised tonight, and maybe know where i would be able to find a link? Been dying to see this kid play but really never had the chance yet. Would be much appreciated!
No game tonight. The Friars lost 2-0 to Quinnipiac yesterday.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.