HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL cities where hockey is #1

Old
11-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I'd argue Nascar and Golf would come in at #4 in several locations.
Last time I checked Talladega, Alabama doesn't have a pro hockey team.

In fact there's only two maybe three states that have hockey teams where NASCAR is really big. Texas, North Carolina, maybe Nashville. NASCAR is just as regional as hockey is, probably more.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:17 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
New Jersey is right across the river and many New Yorkers are Devils fans. But ill admit baseball, football and bball is bigger. But being #4 or #5 sport in New York is like being #1 sport in most US NHL franchises
Really? Many New Yorkers are Devils fans? You mean many New Jersey people are Rangers fans. Not many Devils fans in NY.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:22 AM
CupofOil

Canadian cities, perhaps Detroit (Lions and Tigers are probably more popular) and perhaps Minneapolis (Vikings and Twins are up there). That's it.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

There's Devils fans in New York. I mean Jersey is basically South New York when it comes to sports, so it's not uncommon to have fans across the river. Hockey is the only sport where we don't share teams. I've seen plenty of Devils fans.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

In fact there's only two maybe three states that have hockey teams where NASCAR is really big. Texas, North Carolina, maybe Nashville. NASCAR is just as regional as hockey is, probably more.
Have you ever been outside of the city? Get 30 mins outside of any major city and you'll see that this is a REDNECK country. I've been to many places in Pennsylvania and Michigan where NASCAR is huge and folks wear their overalls and drive jacked up trucks with rebel flags... stuff that I don't see as often here in Nashville these days.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Have you ever been outside of the city? Get 30 mins outside of any major city and you'll see that this is a REDNECK country. I've been to many places in Pennsylvania and Michigan where NASCAR is huge and folks wear their overalls and drive jacked up trucks with rebel flags... stuff that I don't see as often here in Nashville these days.
But we're talking about cities...

I don't doubt that NASCAR is bigger in Buttsville, Nowhere, USA, which as you alluded to is pretty much anywhere outside of a major city. But none of these places are pro sports cities nor are they getting any pro teams any time soon. There's not a whole lot of states where NASCAR is big in the cities.

You'll find places anywhere in the country, but it's still just the South where it's mainstream.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:33 AM
tony d
The franchise

Only in Canada would a NHL team be #1 team in their city.

11-21-2012, 11:34 AM
ZeroHero

vCash: 50
Pens are probably second in Pittsburgh behind the Steelers.

ZeroHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
But we're talking about cities...

I don't doubt that NASCAR is bigger in Buttsville, Nowhere, USA, which as you alluded to is pretty much anywhere outside of a major city. But none of these places are pro sports cities nor are they getting any pro teams any time soon. There's not a whole lot of states where NASCAR is big in the cities.
That's true, but you still have to include those areas in the fanbase. Maybe not so much in a place like NYC, LA, Philly... but in Detroit for example, the state of Michigan provides a HUGE number of Wings fans. And i'd say that the majority of Wings fans are outside of Detroit Metro and hockey/Wings are more popular outside of Detroit than they are in the city.

Similarly, Nashville. The Preds fanbase, including fans who travel regularly to games, extends far past Nashville metro into Kentucky and Alabama. I'm not going to say that hockey is #1 in those areas or close to it, just that in certain places the big cities and their cultures are fairly exclusive while in other places you can't gauge a city's identity without including the outlying areas. This is especially true as you get into the less populated areas like Denver, their reach and influence is felt all over the region.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
There's Devils fans in New York. I mean Jersey is basically South New York when it comes to sports, so it's not uncommon to have fans across the river. Hockey is the only sport where we don't share teams. I've seen plenty of Devils fans.
Some yes, but not many. Far more Rangers fans in Jersey than Devils fans in NY. I would say for every 20 Rangers fans in Jersey there is 1 Devils fan in NY.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroHero View Post
I disagree. I would say they are 5th behind the Steelers, the Steelers, the Steelers, and the Steelers.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroHero View Post
not that hard for the Pens to pass the Pirates

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:47 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
Detroit is the only maybe for US cities.

The Sabres are huge in Buffalo, but a Stanley Cup Sabres team still doesn't compare to an 8-8 Bills team.
The DRW barely stack up against the sad sack Lions.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
That's true, but you still have to include those areas in the fanbase. Maybe not so much in a place like NYC, LA, Philly... but in Detroit for example, the state of Michigan provides a HUGE number of Wings fans. And i'd say that the majority of Wings fans are outside of Detroit Metro and hockey/Wings are more popular outside of Detroit than they are in the city.

Similarly, Nashville. The Preds fanbase, including fans who travel regularly to games, extends far past Nashville metro into Kentucky and Alabama. I'm not going to say that hockey is #1 in those areas or close to it, just that in certain places the big cities and their cultures are fairly exclusive while in other places you can't gauge a city's identity without including the outlying areas. This is especially true as you get into the less populated areas like Denver, their reach and influence is felt all over the region.
Yeah I feel you. I can definitely see how with some of the smaller metro cities (say, sub 750K population) the outlying small areas are part of the city in terms of fans even though they're not actually part of the city.

I know even in New York City which has more people than we can fit, the Rangers get fans from Jersey, Long Island, Upstate, Connecticut. In a city that doesn't have the millions and millions of people that New York does, the culture of the outlying population would have more of an influence when getting a consensus on fan interest, I agree with you there.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:49 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

The state of Nashville!!

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:50 AM
ZeroHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
not that hard for the Pens to pass the Pirates
Agree, but if your looking for a place where hockey's #2 in the states Pittsburgh's probable it.

ZeroHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:52 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Yeah I feel you. I can definitely see how with some of the smaller metro cities (say, sub 750K population) the outlying small areas are part of the city in terms of fans even though they're not actually part of the city.

I know even in New York City which has more people than we can fit, the Rangers get fans from Jersey, Long Island, Upstate, Connecticut. In a city that doesn't have the millions and millions of people that New York does, the culture of the outlying population would have more of an influence when getting a consensus on fan interest, I agree with you there.
I will say when I read the original post, my thought was the city AND the surrounding metropolitan area. I would think most did the same.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Uberdachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoksonhoth View Post
I also know a lot of people that follow a high school team, one of the many college teams, and still follow the Wild. People just seem to want to watch hockey no matter who it is. Besides, the Twins are in the early stages of a rebuild, nobody really cares right now except for masochists that like watching their team lose 100 games a year. I'm still saying top 2, but mostly because most people just like hockey and will watch it or go see a game whenever possible even if it isn't a pro team.
Even if the Twins went a decade without winning a game and they used a different fan's face as a catcher's mitt for each pitch, their support would still dwarf the Wild's. I'll listen to arguments as to whether the Vikings or the Twins are #1, but it takes a big deal year like this would have been to get the Wild even in legitimate #3 contention with the Timberwolves.

Uberdachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:16 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT21 View Post
I know this thread is similar to one already posted but thought this would be interesting.

Which NHL cities can say that hockey is it's #1 sport in popularity?

Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto

Any U.S. teams?

Detroit ?
San Jose?
Nope. Football is still #1 in the Bay Area (Niners and Raiders), followed closely by baseball (Giants, A's). I'll bet most people in the Bay don't know who the Sharks' captain is.

What about Carolina? Are the Hurricanes doing better than the Bobcats? They'd be #2 behind the Panthers.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:22 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

For States it's probably Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Colorado, and Detroit. And maybe Philly as well.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Stats01

I say when it comes to the U.S..none. Maybeeee! Detroit..maybe.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
For States it's probably Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Colorado, and Detroit. And maybe Philly as well.
Are you serious? Steelers, Broncos KILL the Penguins and Avalanche in popularity. Same thing with Philly, the Eagles and Phillies run that city.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

I guess you can say Detroit was #1 from 1995-2003. This is when the Lions and Tigers were both horrendous teams.

Right now, the Tigers are number one, Lions second, Wings usually are third but with the lockout, the Pistons are probably third now.

As for Buffalo, I think Buffalo is more of a Bills town but the Bills have been awful for 13 years so its probably shifting more towards hockey. Had this been the 1990s, the Bills were King.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:32 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I was going off NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB.

Not AA or Universities.
Why do you not count other sports (golf, racing) or NCAA?

Just curious is all.

gifted88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:35 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Are you serious? Steelers, Broncos KILL the Penguins and Avalanche in popularity. Same thing with Philly, the Eagles and Phillies run that city.
No, I'm pretty sure hockey is more bigger in Colorado and Pittsburgh. I've been to Denver and I saw much more Avs fans. Pittsburgh I wouldn't know so well, but I'm almost certain they have more than the Steelers.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote