HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-13 CBA Discussion Thread *NHL/NHLPA Please do Something!!*

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority, but I have just come to accept these stoppages as part of the big league package. I really don't care that they aren't playing right now and I'll be happy to watch again when they get it figured out. I'll still get my kids some Isles stuff for Christmas because they like the team and like to wear the logo.

At the end of the day, I don't care enough about their fight to muster the energy to get angry. Being angry takes energy, I'd rather use the energy elsewhere.

Maybe because I have other options (like the Mooseheads with MacKinnon and Drouin, the 6+ times a week I'm in the rink with my kids, the night I play in my beer league, the great university hockey in town), but I'm happy to wait until the NHL and players get their crap sorted out and I don't feel any real animosity to boycott or anything.

Solve your crap and let me know when you're done.

I would accept these stoppages if they were putting a true effort to resolving it. But when moron Bettman says lets take 2 weeks off, that's bull.

I'm not angry or wasting any additional energy or getting mad, just that when I shop this holiday season I will avoid anything NHL. The only hockey fans I buy for are my brother and I. So it won't be to difficult cause there are numerous other things to choose from to buy for both of us.

This is only a boycott for me while they're not playing. When they return I'll support.

11-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv2002 View Post
Yes. I feel honored today. I was blocked by Matt Moulson on twitter. Way to treat your fans. He was rationalizing calling Bettman and idiot because the lockout is idiotic. So it's OK for players to call Bettmann an idiot.
The players are obviously getting pissed off and want to play and feel like this weasel is the main reason why they're doing so. Ian White should have kept his mouth shut but I can completely understand his frustration whatever its done.. I don't think its worse than the owners going after Fehrs credibility earlier last week saying hes with holding details from players when its absolutely not true.

Nothing personal but I get why he blocked you.. Its a trying time for all involved heckling players on their twitter account is foolish and does absolutely nothing. I'm sure they have to deal with these internet tough guys by the dozen who feel like arguing with players is going to make the entire situation disappear but it won't it will just get you blocked and the lock out remains.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I would accept these stoppages if they were putting a true effort to resolving it. But when moron Bettman says lets take 2 weeks off, that's bull.

I'm not angry or wasting any additional energy or getting mad, just that when I shop this holiday season I will avoid anything NHL. The only hockey fans I buy for are my brother and I. So it won't be to difficult cause there are numerous other things to choose from to buy for both of us.

This is only a boycott for me while they're not playing. When they return I'll support.
If I were Fehr, I'd call Bettman out on that. I'd announce, "I am willing to meet and my team and I will be (here) at (this time) and wait 3 hour for Mr. Bettman and his team to show. I want to get a deal done and get the NHL back in operation." And I'd follow through on this...I would go there and wait.

I wonder how the negative PR (aimed at Bettman) would be received?

Old
11-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
If I were Fehr, I'd call Bettman out on that. I'd announce, "I am willing to meet and my team and I will be (here) at (this time) and wait 3 hour for Mr. Bettman and his team to show. I want to get a deal done and get the NHL back in operation." And I'd follow through on this...I would go there and wait.

I wonder how the negative PR (aimed at Bettman) would be received?
Apparently the NHLPA has called for a meeting on Monday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=645862

Old
11-18-2012, 10:16 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Apparently the NHLPA has called for a meeting on Monday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=645862
The NHL wanted them to do that. Bettman knows Mind Control.

"I'm going to eat your pudding tonight anyway, Fehr, but I want to hear you tell me I can."

Old
11-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
The NHL wanted them to do that. Bettman knows Mind Control.

"I'm going to eat your pudding tonight anyway, Fehr, but I want to hear you tell me I can."
actually it makes bettman appear weak. you cant ask for two weeks and than say nah lets meet.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Riddick

He asked for two weeks because the players keep on submitting the same damn proposal with delinked revenue and guaranteed raises.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:02 PM
blitzkriegs

I love how the players rip Bettman publicly which may be venting but just demonstrates how uneducated these guys are.

Bettman has been leading the charge to EXPAND (aka more jobs = more players) and increasing REVENUES (aka more salary to the players) and overall growth of the game into the billions (aka making 3rd and 4th liners millionaires and players on guaranteed contracts).

Look players, the deal is there for you to sign. The ownership of an NHL team is a secondary business for the owners, whereas a players career is his primary business. Hmm...

Old
11-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
He asked for two weeks because the players keep on submitting the same damn proposal with delinked revenue and guaranteed raises.
I am not saying why he asked for a break but he did ask for one. Now in my eyes it sounds like the owners want to keep talking and not take a break. It makes them sound willing to move more still. Or perhaps they have a idea they think could work

Old
11-20-2012, 12:39 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
I love how the players rip Bettman publicly which may be venting but just demonstrates how uneducated these guys are.

Bettman has been leading the charge to EXPAND (aka more jobs = more players) and increasing REVENUES (aka more salary to the players) and overall growth of the game into the billions (aka making 3rd and 4th liners millionaires and players on guaranteed contracts).

Look players, the deal is there for you to sign. The ownership of an NHL team is a secondary business for the owners, whereas a players career is his primary business. Hmm...
It depends on which players you are referring to. The minority of Haves, or majority of Have Nots. The Haves couldn't give a crap about extra slots for their "brothers." Their priority is revenues, aka, where their franchise salaries just keep getting bigger. A $500K player will always be just that. A $5,000,000 player gains every time the team caps rise because his value is relative to the proceeds.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:53 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It depends on which players you are referring to. The minority of Haves, or majority of Have Nots. The Haves couldn't give a crap about extra slots for their "brothers." Their priority is revenues, aka, where their franchise salaries just keep getting bigger. A $500K player will always be just that. A $5,000,000 player gains every time the team caps rise because his value is relative to the proceeds.
The point is they blast Bettman, yet every single player in the NHLPA has benefitted from his tenure from expansion to revenues to salary escalation. The game has grown big time under his watch. The players have the right to say the 'league' or the 'owners' in general, but my lord, A LOT of employees would be more than happy to have GB leading the way with the have had salary 'increases' from their company.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
The point is they blast Bettman, yet every single player in the NHLPA has benefitted from his tenure from expansion to revenues to salary escalation. The game has grown big time under his watch. The players have the right to say the 'league' or the 'owners' in general, but my lord, A LOT of employees would be more than happy to have GB leading the way with the have had salary 'increases' from their company.
I kind of disagree really think a monkey could have done what bettman has done.. and I think a monkey would have done it better. The revenue increases have nothing to do with him the game is (was) growing in general.. Which will take a hit because of this Bettman/owner induced lockout.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/86...hr-says-report

Old
11-21-2012, 01:18 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
I especially liked this part...

Quote:
Attending the talks were San Jose center Adam Burish, free agent defenseman Chris Campoli, Detroit wing Dan Cleary, free agent wing Mathieu Darche, Winnipeg defenseman Ron Hainsey, St. Louis center Andy McDonald, Edmonton center Kevin Shattenkirk and Anaheim center Dan Winnik.
ESPN should either hire some people who actually follow hockey or just stop covering it all together.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
torero

They suck !!!

Old
11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I especially liked this part...

ESPN should either hire some people who actually follow hockey or just stop covering it all together.
Damn, you beat me to it!

Old
11-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Therefore I will do my talking with my money.
That's your choice. Enjoy it.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:59 PM
leaponover

100% friggin agree with everything Hammer said and it's about time somebody came forward and spoke off the cuff instead of name calling. He didn't call Fehr or Bettman any names, just looked at the REALITY that last time they signed the same damn deal and the deal is not going to get any better as revenue is lost. Hammer has been playing for 20 years and deserves his say. I don't think he's alone at all in what he's saying. One TSN guy bashed him for saying in public and not doing it through a conference call with Fehr and other players, but how the frick does that guy know if he's actually done that or not. I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few veterans not being listened to because "they are on their way out" or accused of just being selfish.

With that being said, just queue the damn replacement players. I'd watch and it would be sucky hockey but at least for my situation it would be hockey. I have nothing right now, no access to anything. Let the guys who want to play, play.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:12 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

The sheer fact that the union is floating decertification colors this lockout for me more against the union now. It is an odd stance - to threaten killing itself unless it's needs are met, like the union is a 5 year old threatening to hold his breath until dead to get the candy it wants... How the hell is that sane, let alone respectable?

Old
11-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Riddick

The fact that they are even threatening is pretty funny honestly. Should they actually get their way, you can say goodbye to about ten teams in the NHL and 200 jobs.

"Cut off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:27 PM
scott99

Dcertification is usually the threat of a desperate union. It's usually a last straw action. IF they decertify, it's the end of the 2012-2013 season and they know it, and I doubt the NHLPA wants that, it'll hurt them more than the owners. Even if they win the court case that comes with it, and I highly doubt that they would, it would take so much court time, it would stretch into next season. IF the NHLPA is so stupid as to listen to anyone who suggests that, then they are just proving a fact that they were stupid not to negotiate earlier (before the CBA ended), and were stupid to listen to Fehr. They are only hurting themselves if they go that route.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:14 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

It's worse than that. Decertifying would mean the end of the following season as well. Then you lump the loss of several teams, 200 positions like you said, and who gets screwed in the end?
- Several owners.
- 200 lower end players.
- All of the fans.

But who remains? You got it, the elite of the players get more money.

Union? What union? Wind bags like Eric Cole come out against players that dare have a contrary opinion while wrapping himself in his altruistic self righteousness, but in the end his and the upper echelon of the union get exposed by their very threats to decertify, which is nothing more than threatening to cut off the lower end of the player pool while making the upper class more short term bling and at the same time killing off even more of a fed up & pissed off fan base. This union is no union at all. In fact this entire fiasco relates well as a new age telling of the book Animal Farm, with Bettman as the farmer, the NHLPA as the pigs, and us the fans as the sheep.

"All players are equal, but some more equal than others." Snicker.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 11-25-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Islanders1932

My deadline has passed, I'm boycotting all Isles games this year/next year. I may show up to the coliseum and sit outside during that first game back in a lawn chair with a sign that reads "Boycotting: Locking myself out since this league doesn't care about its fans"

Old
11-26-2012, 08:35 AM
crashthenet

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mpact/1726529/

Old
11-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Dan-o16

Interesting thread. People seem to think both: 1. The NHL can get along without the union, and 2. The union would destroy the NHL by decertifying. Both can't be true, because decertifying is exactly the same as being 'without the union'. Also, if you're silly enough to want replacement players, you should want the union to decertify. If the owners don't have an exclusive representative with whom negotiate, they could legitimately sign players without a CBA. If, on the other hand, the league seeks replacement players before the union decertifies (and then the union subsequently decertifies and sues the league), the league looks pretty bad.

Some here really believe that the job of the representatives of the union is to act as liasons between the owners and the players, and that is all. I can only assume that people understand the model of union leadership to be based on Gene Upshaw, also known as the NFL's gimp. Do you think the NHL players don't understand what lies down that road?

Now, in the NFL the owners hold even more power because careers are even shorter, and there is even less competition for professional players. But it has become clear that the NHL owners are trying to follow football's model (if not seeking non-guaranteed contracts, then a union weak enough to accept them in the future). If it were the NBA's model they were looking to follow, they'd be able to use the player's offer as a negotiating point.

There's a reason media members are beginning to mock the NHL for the status of the negotiations. It's because the player's have changed their position *in a real way*, as opposed to the owners who have changed their position form a completely fabricated starting point nobody took seriously.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Closed Thread