HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Was-edm

Old
11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Was-edm

To Edmonton - Tom Wilson, Jeff Schultz, 2nd

To Washington - Ladislav Smid, 4th

Edmonton seems to be dying for a guy who can protect their skilled forwards while playing a regular shift, and Wilson projects to be that player. Smid's contract is up by the time they're ready to compete, and they have a lot of defensemen coming up. Schultz can be a decent #4 to fill the gap and eat up PK minutes, provide a stay at home partner for Schultz or form a shutdown type pairing with Schultz.

Washington finally gets a partner for Green, and can afford to move Wilson with their surplus of wingers.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
3 Schultzes on one team? Lol.

I doubt Edmonton does that though. They need all the quality D they can get.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:35 AM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Edmonton seems to be dying for a guy who can protect their skilled forwards while playing a regular shift, and Wilson projects to be that player. Smid's contract is up by the time they're ready to compete, and they have a lot of defensemen coming up.
Edmonton is dying for good defensemen. Smid is still young, will almost definitely resign, loves Edmonton and is loved by all Oilers fans, and is worth more than this package anyway.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Draekke

vCash: 50
Speaking for myself, and most of the Oiler posters that I've seen, Smid is not going anywhere.

Personally after the "Big 5," Smid is the next untouchable for me.

That being said, I don't know much about the two players being sent back...perhaps it's decent value with EDM getting the 2nd and two players, but Smid is and has been one of the bright spots for our team in the last couple of years.

Good proposal, as you're trying to address needs for both teams, but I like Smid too much to trade him away. His grittiness, and attitude around his own net is far too valuable.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Eskimo44

Not even close.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:56 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Not a chance in happening, Oilers pass.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:17 AM
488fitter

What they said ^

488fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Wilson isn't really all that great of a fighter is he? I know that he's a big boy that can hit like a Mack Truck, but I've never heard of him as being even as good of a fighter as Mitch Moroz who we took in the 2nd round this past draft. We are also in need of Smid's services so unless Schultz steps in and takes Smid's role and we don't skip a beat this trade doesn't make much sense from our perspective as much as we could use a Wilson in our system.

11-21-2012, 01:34 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Smid won't be leaving Edmonton and it would take the likes of Taylor Hall to get him off of our team.

He's solid, physical, responsible, he loves playing in Edmonton and he was very durable last year.

Smid is horrible unappreciated on these boards and he's easily our best defenseman.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
Speaking for myself, and most of the Oiler posters that I've seen, Smid is not going anywhere.

Personally after the "Big 5," Smid is the next untouchable for me.

That being said, I don't know much about the two players being sent back...perhaps it's decent value with EDM getting the 2nd and two players, but Smid is and has been one of the bright spots for our team in the last couple of years.

Good proposal, as you're trying to address needs for both teams, but I like Smid too much to trade him away. His grittiness, and attitude around his own net is far too valuable.
Wow, 6 untouchables on one team. Surely they're a cup contender with that many top players, right?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
I'd do it if I were Washington.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:45 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Wilson isn't really all that great of a fighter is he? I know that he's a big boy that can hit like a Mack Truck, but I've never heard of him as being even as good of a fighter as Mitch Moroz who we took in the 2nd round this past draft..
dont take this as an endorsement of the trade or an argument for it. simply a reply to this comment above.

in today's nhl a player that can skate your first line and belong and hits like a mack truck is your enforcer. first line players dont fight much for a reason.

i'll put it another way. nobody in the nhl tries to take advantage or take liberties with nicklas backstrom anymore. if they do, ovechkin goes into seek and destroy mode. a player is more likely to get knocked out of a game by getting runover by ovechkin than getting in a fight.

if wilson is a serious trucker that can hold his own on a top line like a mike knuble could, he's going to be valuable.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Wow, 6 untouchables on one team. Surely they're a cup contender with that many top players, right?
Well so far they are tied for first in the NHL in points so its hard not to suggest they are among the leagues elite right now....

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:11 AM
CSimpson18

Quote:
The Oilers situation is unprecedented. A really bad team with a bunch of really good young players. Smid isn't untouchable but would only be available in a package for an elite defenseman.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:10 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Untouchable due to potential, not current output. But you knew that before you posted.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:19 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

although i would LOVE to see Tom Wilson here, after we almost traded Smid along with Penner and Cogs to Ottawa for Heatley ( thankfully he did us a favour and didn't want to come, thank you Heater!!), Smid has just gotten better and better every season since and is a pretty valuable member of this D here. as was said above, Smid loves it here and will no doubt be re-signed soon and won't be going anywhere.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Hynh

Quote:
The Oilers have 4 NHL defensemen. The only way they trade one of them is if they are getting an upgrade. Greene and Stoll for Visnovsky is an excellent example of the kind of trade the Oilers might part with Smid in.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Smid is a pending UFA... This a lot to give up for him unless an extension is already in place.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Ovy, Backstrom, Alzner, Carlson and Green... u guys have a few yourself.
Will give you Smid for any one of them

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
nobody in the nhl tries to take advantage or take liberties with nicklas backstrom anymore.
Huh?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

If I'm Washington, I'm not doing this. Last checked, wingers was our main position of need. If there's no season, our young D prospects will get older and we'll have a chance to grab a D in a pretty good UFA market, too.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:03 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Huh?

that highlight is the exception to the rule. do you watch capitals games on a regular basis? do you see backstrom being targeting and intimidated?

btw...do you think bourque having to fight for doing that would deter him from doing it again? no. it doesnt.

on the other hand as to the 6 untouchables on a terrible team. that caps missed the playoffs with ovechkin, backstrom, semin, green, laich, schultz all on the same roster. at that time i am fairly sure that they were all untouchable at that point. teams dont trade young players in a salary cap world. they are more capable of overperformaning their salary.

Last edited by txpd: 11-21-2012 at 12:08 PM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
that highlight is the exception to the rule. do you watch capitals games on a regular basis? do you see backstrom being targeting and intimidated?
You should know I watch Caps games on a regular basis based on the fact I'm posting in a good deal of the Caps GDTs.
I see plenty of Caps targetted on a regular basis. Backstrom is strong enough to fend for himself out there most of the time. But plenty of teams have targetted Green, Semin, Johansson, and Perreault. Obviously Ovechkin isn't enough of an intimidation factor to stop that, or even prevent the "exception" of an elbow to Backstrom's noggin.

Quote:
btw...do you think bourque having to fight for doing that would deter him from doing it again? no. it doesnt.
If he only has to fight Matt Hendricks....

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:37 PM
franfrey*

Smid to Schultz is a pretty huge downgrade on defense. Smid is the Oilers' best defenseman by quite a margin and for a team that's already starving for top-pairing defenders, this is a recipe for disaster.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:44 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

No way, Smid is very valuable to Edmonton. Schultz is a plug.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote