HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jaroslav Spacek Retires

Old
11-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post

And you can feel free to quote when the time comes: I hate kaberle, but when he retires, he'll be getting the same treatment from me.
You hate a player, but somehow you feel better about being nice to him on the way out? Not my style, sorry... never understood why people do this, unless you need it to feel better about yourself.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:09 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
You hate a player, but somehow you feel better about being nice to him on the way out? Not my style, sorry... never understood why people do this, unless you need it to feel better about yourself.
yes. i post on this board because i need an outlet for my abundance of positive emotions... no wait, that's la caleche du sex. sorry.

how big of a stretch is it to appreciate a player's career and not only his very short stint with us so far? even if kaberle ends up sucking so bad, he gets demoted to the CHL, i'll still give him his due when he retires: that he had a good career, a great time in toronto and bombed everywhere else after. oh, and a cup.

it's about giving the space man his due. he's retiring from hockey, not getting traded to carolina.

and somehow you figure that means im saying to feel better about myself? ok then

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Beendair Donedat

This pandering to Spacek is amusing considering that when he was traded the vast majority of the comments were basically "good riddance." Sure he played a lot of years but that doesn't mean you have to like or respect the guy. Typical pack behavior though ganging up on those with different opinions.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:22 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
When I think of a Spacek moment it would be the Pens-Habs Game 6 when he scored

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Where was all the accolades when he played here? Love the double standard around these boards... trash a player while he's in Montreal, but applaud him once he retires or moves to another team. lol
Its not called double standard.. its called having class.. or simply respect.

The hockey player is now simply a normal human being, a husband, a dad etc etc.. I don't see why anyone would continue trashing him. It's just childish.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Its not called double standard.. its called having class.. or simply respect.

The hockey player is now simply a normal human being, a husband, a dad etc etc.. I don't see why anyone would continue trashing him. It's just childish.
Oh I see, trash the **** out of a guy in his playing days is ok, if you are nice to him when he leaves. The old 'bully' mentality. Gotcha now. lol

Old
11-20-2012, 05:58 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
When I think of a Spacek moment it would be the Pens-Habs Game 6 when he scored
I think about how damn terrible his shot was. He was the only man in the NHL whose point shot would was more likely to generate a goal AGAINST than a goal for.

I have not much to say about the man himself, he didn't really do all that much and the Jacques Martin era was pretty much defined by these kind of people. Don't really care for him, but don't hate him either.

The Hamrlik-Spacek paring was the most absurdly incompetent and unaesthetic yet decently effective NHL pairings I've ever seen. I still think it was "The System" more than those two over-the-hill bums but credit to them for performing above "abject failure"-tier.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:49 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

The Spacho "TELETUBBIES!" man. Frustrating at the end but was a good signing early on. Good guy overall.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:50 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I think about how damn terrible his shot was. He was the only man in the NHL whose point shot would was more likely to generate a goal AGAINST than a goal for.

I have not much to say about the man himself, he didn't really do all that much and the Jacques Martin era was pretty much defined by these kind of people. Don't really care for him, but don't hate him either.

The Hamrlik-Spacek paring was the most absurdly incompetent and unaesthetic yet decently effective NHL pairings I've ever seen. I still think it was "The System" more than those two over-the-hill bums but credit to them for performing above "abject failure"-tier.
They're not that bad if they performed.

You are totally undderrating Hamrlik. He was a great player for us, our rock and number 1 dman for two years in a row. The defense sorely missed him last year.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Oh I see, trash the **** out of a guy in his playing days is ok, if you are nice to him when he leaves. The old 'bully' mentality. Gotcha now. lol
Hum no, I don't think you saw or got anything but don't worry, you will probably get it when maturity hits you. OMG LOL LMAO!

Btw, I didn't trash the **** out of Spacek when he was playing. I did criticize his plays at times but I had nothing personal against him.

When Gomez retires, I will not trash him like some of you guys did to Spacek here although Gomez was the player I criticized the most in the past 2-3 years.

He's retiring ffs. What's the point.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Meanwhile Habs are stuck with one T. Kaberle until the end of 2013-2014

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:49 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
They're not that bad if they performed.

You are totally undderrating Hamrlik. He was a great player for us, our rock and number 1 dman for two years in a row. The defense sorely missed him last year.
I know, I mean that he looked terrible while doing it though. Slow, bad shot, non-physical... he was basically the anti-Subban but he still performed. I hated the **** out of him but I'll admit now that he did perform very well defensively. Frustrated the **** out of me, I hated him so much.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:37 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Congrats on a great career, Jaro!

Already been said..........accomplished player, great teammate, great guy. I'll always miss those two "old goats" or "old Czechs" in Spacek and Hamrlik. Never got enough credit for what they endured in Montreal. They both loved being Habs.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Huge94

Why would anyone hate the guy, even when his career is over? Just because he spoke **** about a terrible organization? Well ****-a-doodle-doo, we ALL talked **** about this organization.

Congrats on the career Jaro, something none of us here will ever accomplish.

Huge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:39 PM
yoteshot

I'll always remember his reaction to his goal in this game (game 3, round 2 in 2010):

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Where was all the accolades when he played here? Love the double standard around these boards... trash a player while he's in Montreal, but applaud him once he retires or moves to another team. lol

Another post by the biggest debbie downer who never ever has one positive thing to say! Habs it's just entertaining to read your posts. If your ever in a good mood do not read his posts as it can be a big buzz killington.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Yes you got it yay. Have you ever noticed that when rivals are playing one another they absolutely hate one another? And when someone retires from your rival most players on the other team say things along the lines of "I hated playing agianst they guy I didn't like him one bit but I have total respect for the man as he gave his all"

When Sundin was a leaf I absolutely dispised the man and just hated looking at his face lol but now when I look back he was a great player and I have total respect for him. Same with Domi Rob Ray ect ect. Its called class I cant believe you need someone to actually define it for you. Who the hell do you like on the team anyway? give me one positive line it won't kill you

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
A significant part of the Czech Olympic Gold Medal team in Nagano, a key cog in the Oilers Stanley Cup run of 2006, and a good fundamental gap controlling defenseman who formed a pretty efficient duo with Hammer in Montreal, against stellar competition. Seemed like a good role model with a sense of humour. I think he played an honest hard working game and earned his ice packs over a solid career.
Look at that, still some good posters around here. Agreed. Well said.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

Incompetent isn't the right word here. A pairing so effective at getting the job done despite a lack of flashy skills as a sign of strong professional competence. The old Czechs knew their jobs well.

There were long stretches in 09-10 where the three duos of Gomez-Gionta, Cammalleeri-Plekanec, Hamrlik-Spacek was what stood between a bad ES team and an absolutely terrible one. The bottom half of that years lineup played terribly.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Jacques Martin was on TVA Sports last night he talked about how much of a disapointment Jaro had been to the organization and he never filled the role he was paid to do. And he mentioned part of the reason they got him was for the PP and he always missed the net.

Didn't these guys have any competent pro scouts? Blame them instead of Spacek. Also Martin praised Kaberle. I guess Martin had more of a say on trades that we expected.

I think JS was not too bad but they asked too much of him, he should have been a fifth/sixth D. They had him play too much.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Jacques Martin was on TVA Sports last night he talked about how much of a disapointment Jaro had been to the organization and he never filled the role he was paid to do. And he mentioned part of the reason they got him was for the PP and he always missed the net.

Didn't these guys have any competent pro scouts? Blame them instead of Spacek. Also Martin praised Kaberle. I guess Martin had more of a say on trades that we expected.

I think JS was not too bad but they asked too much of him, he should have been a fifth/sixth D. They had him play too much.
That much is true, they brought him in to be a competent ES defenseman and to be a 1st pairing PP defenseman, which was what he was in Buffalo the year before. Instead they just got the competent ES defenseman.

They got about a year and half's worth of a decent number 3-4 out of him and almost a years worth as a solid 5. The Habs were in good shape when they had enough depth that he was anchoring the third pairing. A lot better than when he was the 2nd best defender in the lineup.

His lack of a good special teams game could have hurt him but Montreal was strong there and weak on even strength which he was good at.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:14 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Quote:
I didn't like Spacek during his time here, but I still wish him all the best in life after hockey. How low do you think our self-esteem is if we have to compliment others to make ourselves feel better lol. It's called respect, nothing more.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:18 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
A significant part of the Czech Olympic Gold Medal team in Nagano, a key cog in the Oilers Stanley Cup run of 2006, and a good fundamental gap controlling defenseman who formed a pretty efficient duo with Hammer in Montreal, against stellar competition. Seemed like a good role model with a sense of humour. I think he played an honest hard working game and earned his ice packs over a solid career.
Great post! Sums up everything I feel as well.

Great guy, great career.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
Another post by the biggest debbie downer who never ever has one positive thing to say! Habs it's just entertaining to read your posts. If your ever in a good mood do not read his posts as it can be a big buzz killington.
What can I say, there hasn't been much to cheer about in a long time. I was positive about the draft this year.. .it's a start. Also, I hated Gainey, so he caused me a lot of pain.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:57 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

Perfect. Jacques finally said what we were all thinking. Kudos for sharing this.