HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout thread #2: mediation done - no progress

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 01:34 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Make the offer 20 years!

I don't want there to be another stupid lockout when the Oilers are contending!

Old
11-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Blue And Orange
Welcome Chiarelli!

vCash: 500
@KatieStrangESPN
#CBA Interesting element of union proposal: features guarantee that, starting in Year 2, share cannot be lower than previous year that protects against both devaluation of CAD dollar and the potential decline in revenue and thereby shifts risk onto owners.

This could be the sticking point that could bring the CBA negotiations back into the abyss. Nonetheless, the NHL should be wise enough to negotiate off of this proposal instead of outright rejecting it.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Blue And Orange
Welcome Chiarelli!

Instead of writing "Thank you fans", offer a "free beer month" for fans attending the game. Or better yet, allow us fans to get NHL centre ice free of charge.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:59 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

I'm trying to keep my expectations low until we get an idea of the NHL's reaction.

Obviously they won't take the deal as is but I'm hoping the basis for an agreement is on the table. (I guess I already screwed up that low expectations part...)

Old
11-21-2012, 02:10 PM
ponokanocker

Too many sneaky little things thrown into this to protect the players. If revenue goes down, players have to take a hit. My opinion is that they are the most responsible for this lockout for refusing to negotiate last season, so they should have no protection if fans do not show up.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:11 PM
okgooil

just curious what the best case snerios is at this point. 60 games season starting dec 15?

Old
11-21-2012, 02:12 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Instead of writing "Thank you fans", offer a "free beer month" for fans attending the game. Or better yet, allow us fans to get NHL centre ice free of charge.
Offering people free beer won't end well...

Old
11-21-2012, 02:14 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Offering people free beer won't end well...
how so?

ps. of course it could never happen laws wouldn't allow it, but If possible, i think it would be a nice gesture.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:17 PM
okgooil

No progress. sigh

http://www.tsn.ca/

Old
11-21-2012, 02:18 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
how so?

ps. of course it could never happen laws wouldn't allow it, but If possible, i think it would be a nice gesture.
People just can't handle their alcohol.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:22 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
People just can't handle their alcohol.
sure a few couldn't. most would be just fine. Have a few more police on duty, It in theory wouldn't be a big deal. Of course in theory as it would never happen.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Moose Coleman

Time for someone to start up a rebel league.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:33 PM
awesomo
HARD!

just dumb.

this is going nowhere and its absolutely a blood bath right now in PR with the players.

owners have other businesses. only so many players can play in foreign leagues.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Both sides have created a Lose Lose situation with entrenched positions. Ultimately NHL ownership though has greater culpability imo by opting out of the CBA and deciding ultimately upon a lockout. They have also proven incapable of managing their business ... as a business without consideration of net revenue against chasing goofy player contracts.

The league has a substantial, long standing track record of bad labour practices and in some cases illegal colluding with old school NHLPA Executives in Alan Eagleson.

After successive weak and crumbling NHLPA Executives the players opted for Mr. Scorched Earth Donald Fehr who is upholding his end of a Lose Lose negotiation. Further galling is his goofy efforts to engage provincial Labour Relations Boards to solve this Cartel's labour issue. And he for some strange reason has written Members of Parliament to plead the player's case.

Imo the best thing that could happen would be a media blackout on these labour negotiations. Force these two parties into their corporate boardrooms to figure it out berift of the roller coaster, blow by blow media coverage that panders to the bad behavior of both billionaires and millionaires. Want to see an agreement get resolved quickly? A blackout and boycott of this labour relations issue would correct the (hopefully false) impression that sheep like fans will always come back. That there is always room in our heart and wallets for NHL hockey.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:35 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
just dumb.

this is going nowhere and its absolutely a blood bath right now in PR with the players.

owners have other businesses. only so many players can play in foreign leagues.
I agree, this is getting ugly. All the star players went of to have a great time in Europe, but there are so many players left behind playing in crap leagues or doing nothing. I think it is really sinking in that a year lost would be suicide for many players careers.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Both sides have created a Lose Lose situation with entrenched positions. Ultimately NHL ownership though has greater culpability imo by opting out of the CBA and deciding ultimately upon a lockout. They have also proven incapable of managing their business ... as a business without consideration of net revenue against chasing goofy player contracts.

The league has a substantial, long standing track record of bad labour practices and in some cases illegal colluding with old school NHLPA Executives in Alan Eagleson.

After successive weak and crumbling NHLPA Executives the players opted for Mr. Scorched Earth Donald Fehr who is upholding his end of a Lose Lose negotiation. Further galling is his goofy efforts to engage provincial Labour Relations Boards to solve this Cartel's labour issue. And he for some strange reason has written Members of Parliament to plead the player's case.

Imo the best thing that could happen would be a media blackout on these labour negotiations. Force these two parties into their corporate boardrooms to figure it out berift of the roller coaster, blow by blow media coverage that panders to the bad behavior of both billionaires and millionaires. Want to see an agreement get resolved quickly? A blackout and boycott of this labour relations issue would correct the (hopefully false) impression that sheep like fans will always come back. That there is always room in our heart and wallets for NHL hockey.
This has been purposed so many times and it will just never happen. The reality is most Canadians are sheep when it comes to hockey. We love it and we will come back. however, the NHL will suffer a lot. So there is no point planning on how to make them suffer. IT is lost lose, I totally agree. Even if hockey market fans come back so many in other markets will not. IF the NHL loses a year I could honestly see some realocation of teams but some eliminations of teams. THe NHL in 10 years will have 20 teams and the players can realize they effectivly lost a whole pile of jobs. A year lost will kill hockey in the southern states. It won't take much since its just about dead any way.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:41 PM
oilersfan11

2.5 months left until its announced the season is cancelled.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:46 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
I have to disagree. The owners have been at the mercy of the union. The owners are not able to make a profit with giving up 57% of their revenues to their workers. Why continue to run a business if you are only going to lose money? Regardless of what contracts they give out, the players get 57% of the pie. I take it you have never run a business before.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Blue And Orange
Welcome Chiarelli!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
If the Mayans are right, the world is going to end in one month and with that, it would officially put hockey fans out of their collective misery.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:59 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
If there's no hockey by January 1, the season will be cancelled.

They aren't waiting till February this time.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:00 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Does just a 5 year term slightly concern anyone? I mean its almost like a 4.5 year term and we could potentially be looking at another lockout then. Just the term of 5 years has always seemed to short to me.

The NFL almost had a lockout last year and did a 10 year term. Last NHL term was 7 years and ended up with a lockout. Wouldn't either side want to try and lock in a longer deal so you don't have to deal with this again in just 5 years?
It took what 4 months to realize the last CBA had issues? Locking into a longer deal could end up being a bigger issue then people realize.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:04 PM
jadeddog

Gotta say that I'm a little disspointed with the leagues lack of bargaining in response. The NHLPA gave a decent concession here and the NHL basically just said that they want everything that they asked for. NHLPA came out better in the court of public opinion today IMO.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Blue And Orange
Welcome Chiarelli!

Here's some good news, not that it means much anyways...

NHL backed off on the 2 year ELC

NHL and Pa will meet on Friday according to Darren Dreger (via twitter)

And go read Pierre Lebrun AKA The Eternal Optimist's tweet if it's going to make you feel any better...

Old
11-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Replacement players please.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Blue And Orange
Welcome Chiarelli!

How is anyone supporting one side over the other. Whenever I read TSN's comments and their blind fanatical pro-owner stance just makes me wanna smash my head throw the screen.

I blame the players for being greedy for starters, but the owners are equally guilty. Ever since that insulting offer the owners gave to teh PA with the 43% offer back in July, CBA negotiations went off the rails. This is pure greed shown on both sides.

Last lockout, I was on the owners side and for good reasons.

Closed Thread