HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Waning fan passion - a growing concern

Old
11-20-2012, 11:38 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

vCash: 500
I'm an incredibly hardcore fan and this crap has taken me to the point where I just don't care anymore. I really don't.

If the KHL broadcasted in Canada I would probably just become a fan of that.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Wolf357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Bettman made the comment that the NHL will make it right with the sponsors and fans when its all done. I wonder what he thinks would make it right? Can't think of a single thomg the NHL would be willing to do that would get me to come running back and buy tickets right away. I'm not saying ill stay away from the game, ill support non nhl teams and watch the games on tv for awhile. Just tired of all these idiots, NHL and PA both.
There will be a "Thank-You Fans" on the ice.
Bettman will have the usual "Greatest Fans in the world" speach.
And then we will all be back at the trough throwing our money back at the NHL and its players.
Fact is the NHL and the NHLPA do not give a rats arse about you or me. We are a ATM that spits out money.

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I don't expect the players to have much of an insight into all the nuances involved. I think most of them accept what they're told.
What evidence do you have that suggests this is true?

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
In the many conversations I have had with friends in regards to the lockout, never once has any player comment been a topic of discussion.

IMO, super fans, average fans, or casual fans don't feel insulted about comments made by either side, most realize it is just posturing and noise.

Player comments aren't the reason hundreds of millions of dollars have already been lost or the apparent sponsorship damage or for a yet to be tallied number of disappearing fans.

Claiming bad things will happen because of these comments is just adding more emotional rhetoric to a topic overloaded with it.

IMO every fan has a choice, to stop following the NHL or sit back and relax until a new CBA is signed, it really is that black and white.
i pretty much agree. player comments are being over blown out of a sport medium's need to write something. i could care less if Chris Versteeg hates Bettman. big surprise. i wish more players would say so. the owners need to know that Bettman himself, the man, is a big part of why the players want to win this battle.

the as for fans' choices, i think more than the NHL realizes will choose the former. and it isn't out of anger, it is out of seeing the league as a lesser league and finding something better in its absence.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:44 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

I will watch on regular TV. I'm not buying any more merchandise. I'm not paying for Center Ice, I will steal the games from the Internet. That is all I can do to hurt them financially.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:45 PM
cbcwpg

Just me, but I want a deal done that means no more lockouts ever. I know its a big pipe dream, but I would rather see a scorched earth approach that costs us the next 2-3 seasons but brings in a system that works for the next 20 years, than go through this crap every 5-7 years.

In the mean time, the NHL is getting no money from me.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:55 PM
theMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Just me, but I want a deal done that means no more lockouts ever. I know its a big pipe dream, but I would rather see a scorched earth approach that costs us the next 2-3 seasons but brings in a system that works for the next 20 years, than go through this crap every 5-7 years.
im with this 100%, i hope Fehr is holding out to get a long term deal done. lockouts every 6-7 years are not fun

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Let me clarify.

I highly doubt many other fields of employment have multiplied their salaries in 2 decades like hockey has. I'm guessing computer/gadget, gaming and sports are the big ones.

At some point things have to stop escalating.
In a free market system pricing is set by what the market will bear, things stop escalating when the saturation point or breaking point is reached.

While player's salaries have grown, the NHL with its last proposal is effectively saying that salaries have risen faster than warranted by ~1.7% annually.

I really don't think this supports the picture you were trying to convey.

However, if IMO the next CBA doesn't solve what I believe to be the fundamental issue, then I am done with the NHL.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 11-20-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old
11-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

If it lasts 2 -3 years you will definitely get your wish for no more lockouts.

By the 2015-16 season 30% of the teams will have folded and 60% of the player contracts will have expired and signed elsewhere.

However I do very much agree with you, this cycle of lockouts every 6 - 7 years needs to stop.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
Fact is the NHL and the NHLPA do not give a rats arse about you or me. We are a ATM that spits out money.
You are correct.

However, the NHL (and indirectly the NHLPA) cares very much about their sponsors an advertising dollars.

And those sponsors and advertising dollars care VERY much about you and me. They are hoping that, if they shell out cash to the NHL, then we will go out and buy their product.

Saying things like "The NHL doesn't care about you or me, so they won't listen and we can't influence this" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If people don't show up to games and the NHL loses millions in ticket revenue and advertising deals, do you think this will happen again so readily?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:

If the lockout lasts that long, the NHL would implode and a rival league would emerge. Be careful what you wish for.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:05 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

I'm not so foolish as to think I will ignore the league when it comes back. However, I will have no qualms about people supporting "non-licensed" NHL products from dubious sources. Anything that shrinks their pie is A-OK with me.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:11 AM
BLONG7

I think alot of fans, will come back, it's going to take alot longer this time...and almost to a fan, all seem to be in agreement about not spending any money on shirts hats etc for some time, and that will reduce their revenue...proper thing.

I miss the game, the game itself...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Guy

I canceled my season tickets, partially because I have no desire to be on the hook for more money for a potential 2012-13 season if they do come to a deal soon. Good riddance.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I've been so busy these past 2 months that I don't think I'd have much time to watch hockey, even if it was on.

Lockout has had a surprisingly low impact on me. My brothers, who are hardcore Sharks fans, don't seem to care too much either.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:22 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I've been a die hard NHL fans for years but I'm waning myself. I won't lie and say I won't be back when the puck drops again, but as of right now I haven't watched the NHLN since July, I don't have any plans on going 3-4 hours to the "local" NHL barn, I haven't put aside any money for Center Ice, I've told people to get me other things instead of the usual NHL merchandise for the holidays, and I quit following several players on Twitter. People thought having a more open social media would help keep fans informed on this round of the CBA, but I've found myself the more inundated with all this "information", the more it makes me roll my eyes and not care.
I'm in the same boat. Although I have watched NHLN and the vintage Penguins rewind that Root Sports has been airing, it's obviously not the same. I finally got around to buying a few frames to start hanging jerseys, but I don't have the slightest motivation to hang them with this lockout going on. Aside from one time where I wasn't thinking, I haven't worn a single Penguins shirt, hat, etc. since the lockout has started. Why should I show my support for something that can't display it's product? Even the license plate frame that was destroyed in my accident (maybe destroyed is a harsh word, the frame was but the car wasn't) would have been replaced the second I got my car back from the shop. To be honest, I haven't even bothered looking for another one.

Even if the league does come back this year, I don't think I'm going back to the arena. For the last few seasons, I went to 5-6 games plus a playoff game. Even when I lived out of town and a drive to Mellon or even the Civic Arena was 90 min, I'd still go to 2-3 games a season. This year? I'm not sure I'd even go with free tickets. That's where I am with the league.

The 2004-05 lockout was a necessity. This one is more about greed from both sides. The so and so isn't offering what we want, the walking away for days or weeks at a time...I've stopped caring about the negotiating. I don't want to hear about how they met for 90 minutes on Monday. I've had games of Super Mario Bros that have lasted longer than that. I don't want to hear that they will be meeting later in the week. If I had that same routine at work, my ass would be fired. This lockout didn't randomly appear. There was plenty of time and buildup and both sides knew it was gonna happen. I think that's the part that bothers me the most: that both sides knew about it but didn't do **** until it was too late.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:06 AM
ThisYearsModel

The most loyal fans are often the families of youth hockey players. This is the case in Southern California. Of all the families on my teenage sons' team, all but 2 have cancelled their Ducks season tickets. Teemu Selanne's kid is on the team, so he still has his luxury box. As for me............no Center Ice for me this year for the first time since the last lockout. No attending games if they come back unless it is part of my kids' team exercize or fundraiser, no GameCenter this year.....I will watch illegal streams that are free if I watch at all. Presenting the cup after a short season is bogus anyway, just like 1995. Draft lotteries are a joke, as was proven when Crosby ended up in Pittsburgh. Franchises in untenable markets, propped up by the league are also absurd. The onoy way my position is changed is if the owners fire Napoleon Bettman.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Skyver

I know I hardly count. I've only been once in my life to an NHL game.But I used to prefer buying anything NHL than getting it from the black market. But now? I prefer to give my money to criminals than to anything connected with the NHL. Screw the union, screw the owners, screw Jacobs, screw Bettman.

Besides, other things filled the void that the lockout left.

Skyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:25 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

SMASH Mob

Nashville Predators invite youth team to "pizza party" game at local rink, and import full "Smashville" (Nashville Predators) game experience with PA announcer, national anthem (with color guard), mascot, ice girls, cheerleaders, and hundreds of fans. Even TV/radio play-by-play and reporters to get the players thoughts after the game. Trotz was even behind the bench giving pointers.

Great way to combat waning passion.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
WingsFan95

I'm still bitter about 05.

It's been very easy for me to turn away from the NHL. Hockey is not NHL, hockey is a sport, it's a passion. The NHL is a corporation.

When people realize this, the league will die as it should. I personally think 25 years from now the NHL will be no more.

To be frank, no league is such a guarantee that 3 lockouts in 17 years, all of which have seen at least half the season lost, can just be ignored.

The only reason the NBA has been able to handle 2 in 12 years is because it's freaking basketball.

I'm not even calling NHL a major league.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Tekneek

Quote:

The only thing that could persuade them to not do it again would be for fans to walk away and punish them financially. MLB/MLBPA got the message and there hasn't been a work stoppage in 18 years. They had to work to get the fans back. Only when they have to work hard for the fan dollar will they truly appreciate the fan dollar. Continue to make it easy and they will treat you like you're easy.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
okay maybe not fully recovered, but most of the fans who are 15-24 were small kids who were too little to remember the strike. It's been 18 years since the strike so its recovering I geuss.
They learned a lesson. I hope hockey fans teach the NHL one. Shower them with dollars and you get what you deserve.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Agreed, I hope all hockey fans send a message first week back and boycott games. Maybe the owners and players think twice before locking us out.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:50 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

My anger has risen once again today. Although it will be hard and I may fail, I will try my hardest to not give them a single dollar when it comes back. If the league would fold I would be even happier as it would save me the trouble.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Agreed, I hope all hockey fans send a message first week back and boycott games. Maybe the owners and players think twice before locking us out.
The first week? I want the NHL to feel this for the next five to ten years. A week is nothing. A year is nothing. The only way the league will learn is if it takes them a long time to recover.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote