HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 02:40 PM
doorman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Anybody you pair with Rielly isn't gonna be able to focus at all on their own offensive game because they have to cover Rielly's balls to wall all out offensive play and the blunders that come with it. Don't know why you'd handicap Dougie like that and turn him into a purely defensive player even strength. Harrington or someone like Percy if he makes it would be better partners for Rielly IMO. Losing Murray really hurts because that would have been a perfect top pair with Hamilton. Maybe Ouellet-Hamilton works as the top pair.
UMMMM, Did you watch Rielly play at all in the Super Series? If you had you may have noticed he is actually very responsible on the ice as to when he goes or doesn't. He is also rarely out of position defensively, so I think you might be a bit off in your analysis.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:44 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
UMMMM, Did you watch Rielly play at all in the Super Series? If you had you may have noticed he is actually very responsible on the ice as to when he goes or doesn't. He is also rarely out of position defensively, so I think you might be a bit off in your analysis.
The second game he was horrid defensively but stellar offensively

Old
11-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
The second game he was horrid defensively but stellar offensively
He wasn't horrid defensively at all lol. But he did look tired all game since it was his 3rd game in 4 nights and he also had that injury in the first period.

Even then, you are making a ridiculous judgement based on one game. From all reports from people that watch him regularly say he is more than capable defensively. He isn't a Ryan Murphy clone. People should get that through their head.

Old
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Rielly injured himself last year by hitting his head off a goal post...

Im not exactly sure you can be "in position" and hit your head off the net if you are a defenseman

Its like Suter/Weber sort of... Weber joins the rush, Suter has to stay back despite being pretty gifted offensively

Old
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Something else people should remember about Rielly. Last week Bob McKenzie said among the Canadians who didn't play at the World Juniors in Edmonton/Calgary, he expects Rielly to make the team 100% and for him to say that must mean Rielly is doing something right.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:54 PM
RollTheBones109

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post

Im not exactly sure you can be "in position" and hit your head off the net if you are a defenseman

Its like Suter/Weber sort of... Weber joins the rush, Suter has to stay back despite being pretty gifted offensively
He did? How did that tear his ACL?

Old
11-21-2012, 03:01 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTheBones109 View Post
He did? How did that tear his ACL?
you tell me, lol

but I am sure of it... I have seen the video

Im on a train using wi-fi that wont allow me to access youtube but you can probably search morgan rielly injury and find it

or there was a little feature on his story on youtube which had the injury in it too, you can find that

Old
11-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:

Rielly had a knee injury. A defenseman pushed him into the net.

But you were close.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:08 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Rielly had a knee injury. A defenseman pushed him into the net.

But you were close.
I know, but he ran into a net... That was my point. Im well aware it wasn't a concussion but pretty sure he hit his head regardless

You can dodge the purpose of my post in reminding us all gently that typically defenseman stay in front of the net not behind it

Old
11-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Anybody you pair with Rielly isn't gonna be able to focus at all on their own offensive game because they have to cover Rielly's balls to wall all out offensive play and the blunders that come with it. Don't know why you'd handicap Dougie like that and turn him into a purely defensive player even strength. Harrington or someone like Percy if he makes it would be better partners for Rielly IMO. Losing Murray really hurts because that would have been a perfect top pair with Hamilton. Maybe Ouellet-Hamilton works as the top pair.
Umm...I think you're thinking about Murphy. Rielly was a lot more conservative in the summer series than he was in the super series because his team was struggling offensively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_136O96XMbc

I counted about five solid defensive highlights in that. Don't know how much you know about Rielly (apparently not much), but with a shot like Hamilton's, I'd say having Rielly on the other side feeding him one timers would be the best thing for him. Rielly's game is based on drawing in defenders to free up space for his teammates. You need to stop watching with those bruins sunglasses and have a look at what's really going on.

Last edited by Atomos2: 11-21-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
I know, but he ran into a net... That was my point. Im well aware it wasn't a concussion but pretty sure he hit his head regardless

You can dodge the purpose of my post in reminding us all gently that typically defenseman stay in front of the net not behind it
Is there a reason why you are so adamant about saying Rielly hit his head, don't know how that has anything to do with your argument. Anyway, when you possession of the puck, you are in the right position.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:35 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

Your post was flawed to begin with. Just because he is very good at rushing the puck doesn't mean he's out of position or a liability defensively

Old
11-21-2012, 03:37 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:

The injury is here at 1:08

The thing is he was gaining the zone and realized he had support. He gained the zone successfully and saw he had a path to the net, and a player came from behind him in his blind spot. I don't see how this is being bad positionally. If Hamilton had the opportunity to do that, he would, and I'm sure you wouldn't be questioning his positioning. And the most obvious thing is, he made the rush realizing he had support. I don't think I've witnessed Rielly make a rush or a pinch when he never had support or was in a bad position to do so.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:47 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Is there a reason why you are so adamant about saying Rielly hit his head, don't know how that has anything to do with your argument. Anyway, when you possession of the puck, you are in the right position.
because thats what you guys kept bringing up haha. semantics guys... semantics

sorry for misphrasing my post I guess..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Your post was flawed to begin with. Just because he is very good at rushing the puck doesn't mean he's out of position or a liability defensively
find where I said he is a defensive liability and we'll talk

I just agreed that it won't allow for Hamilton to play his offensive game if Rielly is being overly agressive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
The injury is here at 1:08

The thing is he was gaining the zone and realized he had support. He gained the zone successfully and saw he had a path to the net, and a player came from behind him in his blind spot. I don't see how this is being bad positionally. If Hamilton had the opportunity to do that, he would, and I'm sure you wouldn't be questioning his positioning. And the most obvious thing is, he made the rush realizing he had support. I don't think I've witnessed Rielly make a rush or a pinch when he never had support or was in a bad position to do so.
cant see the vid on my train but I believe you. I dont think its bad positioning and I dont think he has a bad sense of when to be agressive and when not to, but I just think it won't allow for Hamilton's offensive strengths to really show

my point was he clearly is more than comfortable rushing the puck and being agressive offensively which might not jive well with Hamilton and might make him have to play more conservatively... thats all my point was

Old
11-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

You can tell who actually watches Rielly and those who just fabricate things on the top of their heads

Old
11-21-2012, 03:56 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
You can tell who actually watches Rielly and those who just fabricate things on the top of their heads
That's the case with all prospects usually

Old
11-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
my point was he clearly is more than comfortable rushing the puck and being agressive offensively which might not jive well with Hamilton and might make him have to play more conservatively... thats all my point was
You really need to watch the Canada/Russia challenge. I watched it again the other day (I have it on video). Rielly wasn't nearly as aggressive in that series as he was in the super series. The kid has very high hockey IQ. He knows when to pull it back and play responsibly and when to go. When he's playing with talented hockey canada stars, the need to take the puck and go isn't as strong as when it is playing with whl stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I agree completely.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:11 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
because thats what you guys kept bringing up haha. semantics guys... semantics

sorry for misphrasing my post I guess..?

find where I said he is a defensive liability and we'll talk

I just agreed that it won't allow for Hamilton to play his offensive game if Rielly is being overly agressive....

cant see the vid on my train but I believe you. I dont think its bad positioning and I dont think he has a bad sense of when to be agressive and when not to, but I just think it won't allow for Hamilton's offensive strengths to really show

I think Hamilton and Rielly would compliment each other just fine. I think both would benefit from each other offensively; Rielly has great playmaking ability and Hamilton has a bomb of a shot, they'll certainly give the opposition some trouble on the offensive blue line.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:48 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
He wasn't horrid defensively at all lol. But he did look tired all game since it was his 3rd game in 4 nights and he also had that injury in the first period.

Even then, you are making a ridiculous judgement based on one game. From all reports from people that watch him regularly say he is more than capable defensively. He isn't a Ryan Murphy clone. People should get that through their head.
I was judging from one game and I stated that in the second game he played bad, I havent seen that often to state a formal opinion of his defense. Scouting reports neither state hes bad nor excellent defensively, all state his has superior offensive skills. But it can be assumed from watching previous offensive defensman that often their style of play leads to odd man rushes the other way. Rielly has the ability to win a game from his offense, so why not pair him with a solid defensive guy to ensure no games are lost either

Old
11-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post

Enlighten you on what? Hockey? I really don't understand this question, I didn't make any bold claim where I should have to explain myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
I think the koolaid remark could stand a little explanation.

I'm a little older than your koolaid generation, so I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I take as your saying that Bobby Mac (one of the most respected, if not most respected hockey media person) thinks Rielly's better than he really is, or is buying into some sort of hype machine.The Bobby Mac, who's super well connected to scouts, gms, players, you name it...this guy who knows all the experts is buying into some hype machine? Isn't that what your saying with your snarky koolaid comment? With this comment I also think you are saying you know better than Bobby Mac, when it comes to Rielly (if not hockey in general), so you must have watched a lot of Rielly to be a better judge of his abilities than Bob Freakin Mckenzie I take it? How much have you watched him and what can you tell us about him there Mr Koolaid.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:39 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I'm a little older than your koolaid generation, so I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I take as your saying that Bobby Mac (one of the most respected, if not most respected hockey media person) thinks Rielly's better than he really is, or is buying into some sort of hype machine.The Bobby Mac, who's super well connected to scouts, gms, players, you name it...this guy who knows all the experts is buying into some hype machine? Isn't that what your saying with your snarky koolaid comment? With this comment I also think you are saying you know better than Bobby Mac, when it comes to Rielly (if not hockey in general), so you must have watched a lot of Rielly to be a better judge of his abilities than Bob Freakin Mckenzie I take it? How much have you watched him and what can you tell us about him there Mr Koolaid.
I doubt Bob McKenzie sat down with every one of his contacts (the people who might know more about evaluating players than he does) to get an opinion on Rielly. It was a heat of the moment thing based on a brief viewing of him in a tourney that's meaningless compared to the WJC. If by that time Bobby Mac is still on the Rielly 'hype machine' and legitimately so, then fine but right now he hasn't really had a better season than most of the 2012 draftees.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I doubt Bob McKenzie sat down with every one of his contacts (the people who might know more about evaluating players than he does) to get an opinion on Rielly. It was a heat of the moment thing based on a brief viewing of him in a tourney that's meaningless compared to the WJC. If by that time Bobby Mac is still on the Rielly 'hype machine' and legitimately so, then fine but right now he hasn't really had a better season than most of the 2012 draftees.

Since you're opinion carries more validity than Bobby Mac's, I'm still dying to hear about how much you've watched Rielly play and what you can tell us about him?

Old
11-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Since you're opinion carries more validity than Bobby Mac's, I'm still dying to hear about how much you've watched Rielly play and what you can tell us about him?
As opposed to certain Toronto fans, who saw their team draft him a little under half a year ago(with a great deal of that period of time being the off-season), but apparently know everything about him?

Old
11-21-2012, 07:14 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
And I'm dying to hear how much you've watched of the other prospects in the draft not named Rielly and what you can tell us about them?

Old
11-21-2012, 07:32 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Anyone going to answer Sundinisagod or should I expect more deflection?

Closed Thread