HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|12-8-0-1|Matt Frattin Appreciation Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 01:13 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
They're also mindless gorillas, which was more of what I was getting at.
Again Burke fails to protect his skilled Prospects, he fills the rosters of the Leafs and Marlies with skilled players "Sweet Hearts" without protection. Bulldogs just sent a message for future encounters, Hockey is about Intimidation, " If you can't beat em in the Ally you can't beat em on the Ice" The Godfather of Leaf Hockey Major Conn Smythe.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Again Burke fails to protect his skilled Prospects, he fills the rosters of the Leafs and Marlies with skilled players "Sweet Hearts" without protection. Bulldogs just sent a message for future encounters, Hockey is about Intimidation, " If you can't beat em in the Ally you can't beat em on the Ice" The Godfather of Leaf Hockey Major Conn Smythe.
Hit and a miss, I'm afraid. You can certainly win games and championships without gooning it up, or having goons on a team. A good example of this would be Detroit post-cap system.

For the record, the Marlies are filled with tons of gritty players as well, not just "Sweet Hearts" as you put it.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:24 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
Hit and a miss, I'm afraid. You can certainly win games and championships without gooning it up, or having goons on a team. A good example of this would be Detroit post-cap system.

For the record, the Marlies are filled with tons of gritty players as well, not just "Sweet Hearts" as you put it.

I don't think the Leafs have the Talent to duplicate the Wings success at this time. The AHL is still a development league and Goons still play a part unfortunatly.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:55 PM
skacore

It's pretty disappointing an ordinary stay-at-home defenseman in Mark Fraser has to play the role of enforcer because there's no one else who can. Blah blah blah, enforcers in hockey, blah blah blah. OK, here's the deal.. you can neglect to have an enforcer and you can just ignore any kind of dirty play, HOWEVER... the Marlies aren't build for that type of game. We have the gritty guys, we have the instigators, we have the **** disturbers... we just lack a HUGE piece to that style and it's someone to back it all up.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:35 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
I don't think the Leafs have the Talent to duplicate the Wings success at this time. The AHL is still a development league and Goons still play a part unfortunatly.
No, neither do I. I just think the enforcer role is a bit over-stated. We've had Rosehill and Orr in the line up when playing against Lucic and the Bruins yet we still get banged up by them.

Best way to counter a physical play is with puck possession.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:25 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Your reading comprehension is lacking. I never said that. What is soft though is the mentality of punishing that kind of behaviour. Punishing (suspending?!?!) players because they stuck up for their teammate aka brother. THAT is soft. Would I tell kids to go out and start fights after clean hits? No, but if you actually read what I said I would congratulate them if they did and so would EVERY single one of their teammates. And if you don't agree with that then you've probably never played contact sports. The decision to start a scrap after a big hit isn't a well thought out one... you either you do it or you don't. It just happens. When you see your brother laying down you want to do something about it. It's easy to pick out what position/ how they played by how they post on this topic lol
I'm going to school on a hockey scholarship, so yeah, I've dabbled in contact sports. And in my experience, it's always always always a better idea to check the guys number and wait until he's skating down on you with his head down and flat-out destroy the guy than it is to instigate a fight after a clean hit and watch your team get lit up on the power play/suspended. Unless it's something like a hit from behind or something really dirty. Hockey players are smarter than playing the game from a reaction only mentality; play the game smart or don't play at all. It's a nice sentiment, but you're only hurting your team when you go all vigilante on someone. And yes, your coaches will get pissed at you for putting the team down a man even if it was with good intentions -- mine does. I'm not saying don't stick up for your teammates; just be smart about it. Picking fights after clean hits isn't smart. Giving that guy hell every time he touches the puck afterwards is.

EDIT: I see your point -- that you don't condone it but you also don't punish it. And I agree. If I were a coach, I wouldn't condone it and I likely wouldn't punish it, but I'd make sure that my players understood that jumping a guy after a clean hit is not how we play the game. Respect the game, respect your teammates, and respect your opponents just as much. Cheapshots aren't respectful.

Last edited by 7even: 11-21-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 04:32 PM
LMFAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skacore View Post
It's pretty disappointing an ordinary stay-at-home defenseman in Mark Fraser has to play the role of enforcer because there's no one else who can. Blah blah blah, enforcers in hockey, blah blah blah. OK, here's the deal.. you can neglect to have an enforcer and you can just ignore any kind of dirty play, HOWEVER... the Marlies aren't build for that type of game. We have the gritty guys, we have the instigators, we have the **** disturbers... we just lack a HUGE piece to that style and it's someone to back it all up.
you mean like a 6'6'' 220 lbs tough guy ??

Old
11-21-2012, 04:32 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
And kids on my team would be congratulated for sticking up for their team mates and I'm sure the guy who stepped in would get a lot of props from the rest of his teammates for doing it too. It's not expected for anyone to do but I'm certainly not going to disapprove and suspend a kid a game for sticking up for his brothers... thats just a joke and further shows the way the game is moving...... soft
As a coach, you don't teach kids to play dirty, going around jumping opposing players, for a mistake YOUR TEAMMATE MADE. If the hit was dirty, by all means, i approve of going to bat, but when the hit is clean, there is NO ROOM for that garbage. You would have to go ahead and explain yourself to the minor hockey association for that, and good luck trying to justify it, because you'll be looking at the wrong end of their wrath.

If one of my kids has their head down, in a dangerous area of the ice, they come back to the bench, they're evaluated, and it's immediately turned into a lesson, because maybe they need to be reminded. It usually only takes once, however. Kids, and adults, playing in physical leagues, should know well enough by that age, and the NHL sees it that way too. You have a responsibility to protect yourself.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
you mean like a 6'6'' 220 lbs tough guy ??

Such a beast lol

Old
11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
In a way, I'm sorta happy Komarov went back to the KHL.... Now Brad Ross should get a full time role right?

Old
11-21-2012, 05:04 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Hopefully. The kid deserves a chance to develop

Old
11-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Jerry D'Amigo ‏@JerryD91
Me and @Matt_Frattin being LMFAO #everydayimshufflin

D'amigo is sporting a fu-manchu haha.

11-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Eakins on Kadri's slow start:
Finally showing the fruits of his hard work off the ice, was probably the reason he took a hit in the beginning of the season.
Aucoin is a great guy has an ton of experience and is a good guy for Kadri.
Agrees with Leo's assessment that he is better suited for NA game than Euro style.
Jussi is out with a groin injury.
Wants Mark to play a game, sooner than later. Has a great attitude, a great teammate, so he wants to give him a chance this weekend.
This is from the tuesday's interview.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:03 PM
MrMariusz

Will be rooting for the Marlies today, good luck to them.

/edit: well... that was fast.. 1-0 BSens on a frantic shift...

Last edited by MrMariusz: 11-22-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old
11-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Just joined in. Marlies are down by 1.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:39 PM
TmlHockeyFan

They should make the top line Kadri-Aucoin-Frattin, or Aucoin-Kadri-Frattin or even Kadri-Colborne-Frattin.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:49 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
They should make the top line Kadri-Aucoin-Frattin, or Aucoin-Kadri-Frattin or even Kadri-Colborne-Frattin.

seems like kadri and frattin played well again today, kadri with an apple
frattin scores [wat else is new], too bad scrivens ruined the game
really hoping kadri can have one more multi point game, so he can go over a PPG

Old
11-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
seems like kadri and frattin played well again today, kadri with an apple
frattin scores [wat else is new], too bad scrivens ruined the game
really hoping kadri can have one more multi point game, so he can go over a PPG
They look good but ashton has also impressed me with his net presence tonight. Hopefully he picks up his offensive game he is capable of. However I do agree that Frattin-Kadri chemistry looks good.

Ashton and Colborne had chemistry last season towards the end, maybe Dallas will revist that.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:08 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
They look good but ashton has also impressed me with his net presence tonight. Hopefully he picks up his offensive game he is capable of. However I do agree that Frattin-Kadri chemistry looks good.

Ashton and Colborne had chemistry last season towards the end, maybe Dallas will revist that.

yeah, i am a big fan of ashton, if he can develop his offense, he has potential to play on top 3 in NHL, I know there is alot of work ahead of him, but I see that potential, nice to have a true power forward, though Biggs is also good

Old
11-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
yeah, i am a big fan of ashton, if he can develop his offense, he has potential to play on top 3 in NHL, I know there is alot of work ahead of him, but I see that potential, nice to have a true power forward, though Biggs is also good
Ashton did have a solid game. I still don't think he has any NHL future though.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:51 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Ashton did have a solid game. I still don't think he has any NHL future though.

well than, u dont know him
he is a legit prospect, remember he was second best prospect for lightning

Old
11-22-2012, 09:52 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Bishop Stands Tall, Marlies fall

After a brief home stand, the Toronto Marlies were back out on the road on American
Thanksgiving.Toronto started their Eastern Conference road trip in Binghamton, New York against the Senators.

http://wewantacup.com/headlines/1040...l-marlies-fall

Old
11-23-2012, 04:46 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Sportsnet is carrying 2 more Marlie games:

http://theahl.com/sportsnet-adds-ahl...-and-8-p180461

Old
11-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Sergei Berezin

Hope Owuya starts getting some starts soon.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Hope Owuya starts getting some starts soon.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Mark Owuya is the future bonafide #1 goaltender for the Toronto Maple Leafs. The sooner Eakins realizes this and starts giving him the bulk of starts, the sooner this prediction will begin to look like reality.

Closed Thread