HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 11:21 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Seven Psychopaths

9/10
Hilarious, and I loved the way that some of the majors characters developed over the course of the film. The only bad thing was that early on some of the scenes felt like nothing happened and it wasn't relevant at all. However the movie got better as it went on, and those scenes were explained

Old
11-16-2012, 11:40 PM
puckyeah

vCash: 500
Went to see Skyfall the other night, best movie i've seen in quite a while. I really enjoyed it.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:37 AM
kihei

vCash: 50

Stopped on Track (2011), directed by Andreas Dresen: In the first scene, Frank is told by a doctor that he has an inoperable brain tumour and has perhaps two months to live. The rest of the movie is a simple, very realistic portrayal of Frank’s last two months and of how he and his family cope with his inevitable demise. The movie, which this year won the German equivalent of the Academy Award, avoids psychological excess and sentimentality almost entirely and stays well clear of any kind of docudrama label. It wasn't until I got out of the theatre that I realized how carefully the movie is put together. The flow of events is very well chosen to shape this daunting narrative into a very believable account of what it must be like to die from cancer. So much so that it makes real demands on its audience. An obvious question arises: is it entertaining? Certainly not in the usual sense, though I found the movie deeply compelling from start to finish. In a way, I guess there is an irony in how often we see death occurring in the movies, and usually it means nothing: some bad guy is shot and falls over a railing or some such thing. In Stopped on Track, for once death at the movies seems very real. This time it had a sting; this time it was not a pretty sight.

subtitles

After sleeping on it for a night, Holy Motors moves up:

Top Ten 2012 so far

1. Amour, Haneke, France
2. A Simple Life, Hui, Hong Kong
3. Rhino Season, Ghobadi, Iran
4. No, Larrain, Chile
5. A Royal Affair, Arcel, Denmark
6. Oslo, August 31, Trier, Norway
7. Elena, Zvyagintsev, Russia
8. Holy Motors, France
9. Tabu, Gomes, Portugal
10. Skyfall, Mendes, US

Last edited by kihei: 11-17-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old
11-17-2012, 06:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Room 237: 6/10
The Shining is hands down my favorite film of all time. I've watched it at least around 15 times by now, but my level of devotion to it nowhere reaches that of the obsessives featured in the documentary Room 237.
I first became aware of the millions of theories on The Shining via the KDK12 blog by John Fell Ryan, one of the featured voices in the documentary. The film touches on a multitude of crackpot dissections of Kubrick's film - some credible, some laughable. Was the movie, with all its Native American imagery, a metaphor for the American massacre of Indians? Was the movie, with its reference to the number 42, a meditation on the Holocaust? Was the movie, with its moon/Apollo references, an allusion to Kubrick's involvement with the moon landing hoax? If all of this sounds crazy...it is. It's disappointing that so much time is devoted to crackpot, nutty theories when several more interesting observations are dealt with only briefly. One of the voiceovers discusses all the architectural impossibilities of the Overlook - "impossible" windows, hallways that can't logically exist, rooms that seem to loop back onto themselves. Another remarks that, in Hallorann's trip to the Overlook, he passes a red VW beetle crushed by a truck - a reading that suggests Kubrick is openly "crushing" King's source material, for Jack's vehicle in the book is a red VW beetle. These are far more fascinating than any insane observation that, in one of the dissolves of the 1920's picture at the end of the film, Jack's hair fades into his upper lip forming briefly a "Hitler mustache".
Only true obsessives will find half the theories here of any worth - most will scoff and roll their eyes. The only argument some of the crazier notions in the movie have in their favor is the fact that Kubrick was notoriously detail-oriented. Some of what seem like filmmaking inconsistencies (a disappearing chair, Jack's typewriter changing, the clocks being constantly out of synch) could be intentional and an allusion to something deeper. The documentary presents all these with an impartial eye, but more attention should have been devoted to the 'serious' theories. A lot of this winds up sounding like lunacy...admittedly a fitting result for those trapped inside the Overlook, indeed.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Andy

X-Men First Class:
Was a pretty good movie! I though a couple of actors almost dragged the movie down (the guy who played beast pissed me off, bad actor, didn't like the actress who played Emma Frost). I give the movie a 8.5/10. I guess because I had no expectations.

Thor
Wow what a terrible movie. Holy crap I can't believe I watched the whole thing. Natalie Portman's character was pointless. 2/10

Super 8

I really liked this movie for some reason, I really can't explain why. I can't say more than that. 8/10

Old
11-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Snow White and the Huntsman - 0/10

Quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen.

Coriolanus - 8/10

My knowledge of Shakspeare is limited as is and I haven't even heard of this play so I can't make any comparisons to the source material. That being said, I really enjoyed this movie. I had a hard time understanding a lot of the dialouge but I was able to pick up enough to know what was going on. It did feel a little flat at times, and some scenes might have been a tad long, but still, Fiennes showed a lot of skill in directing this, and gave a solid performance to boot. I hope to see him behind the camera again in the future.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Heatleys Eye

End of Watch

7/10

Old
11-18-2012, 08:46 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Coriolanus - 8/10

My knowledge of Shakspeare is limited as is and I haven't even heard of this play so I can't make any comparisons to the source material. That being said, I really enjoyed this movie. I had a hard time understanding a lot of the dialouge but I was able to pick up enough to know what was going on. It did feel a little flat at times, and some scenes might have been a tad long, but still, Fiennes showed a lot of skill in directing this, and gave a solid performance to boot. I hope to see him behind the camera again in the future.
I really liked this movie. Something about Shakespeare done with contemporary settings always does well with me.

I watched Your Sister's Sister recently. I liked it until the end when there was a long montage of the characters walking, biking, camping, looking pensive, looking sad, etc. Went on way too long and felt like they added it to make the movie longer. Thought the very final scene was gimmicky, too. 6/10 because they had something good until they ruined it at the end.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:29 PM
franfrey*

Spice World: 1/10

1 for the relatively hot women, 0 for content.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

The kid who played Oskar was extremely annoying and incredibly irritating. I stopped watching seriously midway through. I only kept watching for the sake of getting to the ending.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:46 PM
kihei

Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012), directed by Yash Chopra: The movie is a modern Bollywood romance in two parts. The first part is a very high energy, insufferably cloying poor boy meets rich girl contrivance, but that’s okay as it is very nicely shot and it is only there to set up the second half of the film anyway. To be honest, as our hero, having been rejected by our heroine, was preparing to fly back to India and return to his job as bomb disposal expert (blatant Hurt Locker rip off), I was assuming the movie was coming to a close. Silly me—we were only coming to a brief intermission. I forgot how long these movies could be. The intermission lasted all of three seconds, after which the second half actually built quite nicely upon the groundwork laid in the first half. A few interesting plot twists came into play and things got kind of interesting. Safe to say, though, Bollywood movies are an acquired taste. Certainly, it took me awhile to warm to this one. The typically overwhelming romantic sentimentality is irritatingly heavy handed, made even less tolerable by voraciously manipulative background music. But the characters are likable (they try as hard as puppies to be so), the actresses incredibly beautiful, and the film making absolutely first rate. Chopra knows how to pace a long movie, and Alin Mehta, his cinematographer, is a master. It is very well filmed from beginning to end. A couple of the dance numbers sparkle (one starts out giggle silly but gets hot fast). If only four or five tons of schlocky romantic glop could be surgically removed from the movie, I would have liked it better. But then it wouldn’t have been a Bollywood movie. All things considered, thumbs up from me.

subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 11-19-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 05:49 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Goon

Horrible out of ten.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
I really liked this movie. Something about Shakespeare done with contemporary settings always does well with me.

I watched Your Sister's Sister recently. I liked it until the end when there was a long montage of the characters walking, biking, camping, looking pensive, looking sad, etc. Went on way too long and felt like they added it to make the movie longer. Thought the very final scene was gimmicky, too. 6/10 because they had something good until they ruined it at the end.
Ya it was really cool. I had a lot of fun with it.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:04 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Goon

Horrible out of ten.
Disagree, so hard. "Beachball is bigger than puck, that's why joke is"

The Descendants is an amazing movie. It's been on HBO for a while now, every time I see it's on I usually throw it on in the background. Doesn't hurt that Shailene Woodley is a total babe.

I always find it hard to believe that the Dean from Community was one of the writers for this movie. Jim Rash, you talented SOB

Old
11-21-2012, 12:58 AM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Some recent watches:

Tyrannosaur (Considine, 2011): A bleak drama centered around rage and sorrow linking two characters who find some type of solace in each other. Some good performances in an otherwise "meh" film.

The Cranes are Flying (Kalatozov, 1957): Was absolutely floored by this. A story about young love that gets interrupted by World War II in Soviet Russia. I'm probably going into hyperbole mode here, but this features some of the best camera work I've ever seen.

The State I Am In (Petzold, 2000): A quiet, slow burning drama about a teenage girl who lives on the run with her fugitive parents. Really enjoyed this one. Lots of themes going on here underneath the surface.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
The Cranes are Flying (Kalatozov, 1957): Was absolutely floored by this. A story about young love that gets interrupted by World War II in Soviet Russia. I'm probably going into hyperbole mode here, but this features some of the best camera work I've ever seen.
Last year, Criterion released another Kalatozov film. Letter Never Sent, which I haven't watched yet, but have heard that the camera work is incredible.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:51 PM
eldiablo17

Decided to catch up on some Ang Lee films in anticipation for The Life of Pi.

The Wedding Banquet (1993)

This is a really lovely comedy about a wedding between a gay man trying to appease his parents from Taiwan and a woman who is in need of a green card to stay in America. In lesser hands, this would have been a very cliche film... in fact there are probably several bad versions of it out there, but it is such a sweet movie with enough heart and genuine humour that made me come to love it. I never felt like it took a too predictable route and although I wouldn't really classify it as a romantic comedy, if you did it would probably be one of my favourites.

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)

An ageing master chef still lives with his three daughters between the ages of 20 and 30 when events in their lives threaten to disrupt the balance of their relationship. Although Ang Lee does do very meditative pictures, this is probably the closest one I've seen that resembles the master of those films: Ozu. In fact it would probably be fair to call this the anti-Late Spring in some ways. It, unsurprisingly, isn't as good as those Ozu classics or even an excellent imitator like Koreeda's Still Walking, but there is enough to keep it moving and the message is still there at the end. It is more drama-orientated that The Wedding Banquet but it also remains funny and heartfelt when it needs to. In the end I didn't like it as much as The Wedding Banquet but it is still a very nice film.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
The Roaring Twenties: 7/10
Trying to finish off my classic gangster films box set that I bought ages ago. This one from Raoul Walsh features a familiar gangster movie trope - boyhood friends whose lives go in opposite paths. Actually there's three friends here (Cagney, Bogart, and another I don't remember). Cagney of course goes full gangster, the other guy becomes a respectable lawyer, and Bogart is a grey area. It's not bad, but not mind-blowing. It points the finger squarely at the alienation felt by many Americans returning home from the war to an uninterested and harsh society as the cause for this crimewave of the era though, of course, condemns it in the end. I haven't seen that kind of aggressively political stance in many other movies like this, so it was neat.

White Heat: 8/10
Yow. Walsh returns again almost 10 years later and this one is pretty wild. Cagney is in tow again, looking 10 years rougher, and is perfect in the insane, mother-loving ("Made it, Ma! Top of the world!") lead. The plot features a lot of clever twists and turns and it's a lot of fun to watch and to anticipate what shoe is going to drop next. I enjoyed it a lot, might be my favorite in the set (which included The Public Enemy, Little Caesar, The Petrified Forest, The Roaring Twenties and this - good films all).

Letter Never Sent: 8/10
What a coincidence - I had watched this a couple of days ago and I come in here to find it a topic of discussion. The camera work and cinematography is indeed the highlight of this movie (I've yet to see Cranes, so no comparisons). In fact, it's been suggested that the plot is just a loose excuse to get the central quartet to Siberia (or somewhere suggestive of Siberia) and film them in all manner of beautiful landscape. But it's never boring, and definitely worth a look, especially if your tastes trend toward the more visual side of things. I grabbed it during a 50% off sale as a total blind buy and I'm not disappointed, but it's not often you get disappointed by Criterion either.

Dr. No: 6/10
My Bond knowledge is non-existent. I saw Quantum of Solace when it came out and that was my first one. Just not a series that has ever interested me. But my brother got a hold of a bunch of burns of the first 10 or so, so I decided to join in on the viewing. Dr. No is, of course, the first one, and it seems like a pretty tentative start. Nothing overly sexy or dangerous or exciting here, in fact it's got a couple of pretty cheesy moments, even for the 60's. In any event, I hear Dr. No isn't even very highly regarded by Bond enthusiasts. But it's kind of cool to see the origins of the whole thing. I'm definitely more looking forward to the next two, From Russia with Love and Goldfinger. Well, and Skyfall, which I'll be seeing tonight...but that's getting ahead.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:45 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Dr. No: 6/10
My Bond knowledge is non-existent. I saw Quantum of Solace when it came out and that was my first one. Just not a series that has ever interested me. But my brother got a hold of a bunch of burns of the first 10 or so, so I decided to join in on the viewing. Dr. No is, of course, the first one, and it seems like a pretty tentative start. Nothing overly sexy or dangerous or exciting here, in fact it's got a couple of pretty cheesy moments, even for the 60's. In any event, I hear Dr. No isn't even very highly regarded by Bond enthusiasts. But it's kind of cool to see the origins of the whole thing. I'm definitely more looking forward to the next two, From Russia with Love and Goldfinger. Well, and Skyfall, which I'll be seeing tonight...but that's getting ahead.
If From Russia with Love and especially Goldfinger don't get you interested then it might not be for you. A lot of people like Goldfinger the best and it's definitely up there for me. I hope you like them because watching the entire series can be a lot of fun.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:06 PM
kihei

Life of Pi (2012), directed by Ang Lee: After the ship that he is sailing on sinks, a teenage boy shares a life raft for several months with a Bengal tiger. While this adaptation ignores many incidents in Yann Martel's wonderful book, it is still true to the spirit of the novel. In fact, I'm surprised how well it works given the fact that I never thought anyone would even think of trying to make a movie from this source material. It is successful because Ang Lee finds a way of telling this story visually that is not only absolutely stunning but a perfect complement to the tale being told. For once 3D really enhances the viewing experience, but even without it, I suspect that this would still be one of the most beautiful movies that I have ever seen. The adaptation isn't perfect--the religious comments in the movie seems clunky compared to how those thoughts are expressed in the book and one of the closing shots of the tiger entails an unfortunate lapse in taste at just the wrong moment. But those are minor quibbles. A larger concern is that the movie lacks the sustained emotional force of the book. But I can live with that, too, as it would be ungenerous to protest too much when Lee gets so much right in bringing this story to the screen. I'm just glad that in Lee, Martel found a collaborator with an imagination to match his own.

Top Ten 2012 so far

1. Amour, Haneke, France
2. A Simple Life, Hui, Hong Kong
3. Rhino Season, Ghobadi, Iran
4. No, Larrain, Chile
5. Life of Pi, Lee, US
6. A Royal Affair, Arcel, Denmark
7. Oslo, August 31, Trier, Norway
8. Elena, Zvyagintsev, Russia
9. Holy Motors, Carax, France
10. Tabu, Gomes, Portugal

Old
11-21-2012, 09:39 PM
kihei

Silver Linings Playbook (2012), directed by David O. Russell: Pat is seriously bi-polar and has just emerged from a mental institution after his break up with his wife. If he is okay, it's sure hard to tell, especially as he doesn't believe he needs to take his meds. He meets Tiffany, a recent widow, who is almost as screwed up as he is and he, perhaps unwisely, enlists her help in his attempt to get back with his wife. I hated Russell's last film, The Fighter, which I found, loud, screechy and over the top. But Silver Linings Playbook, though it contains a fair amount of screech, is definitely a charmer. It is not for nothing that it won the People's Choice Award at TIFF. It starts like a drama but eventually segues into more of a romantic comedy. It also gets more contrived as it goes along, but that doesn't matter as much as one might think. Why? Because by that time, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence already had me so invested in their characters that I was ready to just go along for the ride and not ask too many questions. Both are so totally committed to their characters that they compelled my attention. DeNiro and Jacki Weaver are very good as well. But Cooper and Lawrence really are the movie.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Stu Macher

I saw three movies at the theater today.

Life of Pi

A magnificent example of visual storytelling. I hadn't read the book, and thought the story started off a bit sluggish. But from the moment he was on the lifeboat, I was fully into it. If there was one movie that I would definitely like to see a full "Making Of" DVD special feature, it would be this one. I have no idea how Ang Lee did the things he did. A very unique cinematic vision.

Silver Linings Playbook

There is really no reason I should love this movie as much as I do. It seems like it should just be another romantic dramedy, but I guess the difference here is that it is written and directed by David O. Russell, who is always a wild card. He brings the frantic energy he brought to Three Kings (which I've said many times is one of my all time favorite films), and transforms what should be familiar into something that always seems fresh and vital. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are both fantastic, and have terrific chemistry, and how great was it to see DeNiro be good in a good movie again? All of those schlocky rom-com's end with some even that has me asking "Why should I care?". Silver Linings Playbook had me so invested, I couldn't wait to see what happened, and can't remember wanting two people to get together more in recent memory. This is one of my very favorite movies of the year, just a fully pleasurable experience.

Lincoln

All the fun of a history textbook come to life! I think it had a pulse, which is more than you could say about most of Spielberg's films in the past decade. I don't think he was just going through the motions, but I still felt the film was so stiff and dull that I couldn't imagine the idea of seeing it again. Some fine performances can't save this, although Tommy Lee Jones does add some life whenever he's on the screen.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:06 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Red Dawn (2012)
6/10

Entertaining for the most part, but the ending is terrible, and the main character is a self centered ******* that I hate, and don't care about.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

Silver Linings Playbook (2012), directed by David O. Russell: Pat is seriously bi-polar and has just emerged from a mental institution after his break up with his wife. If he is okay, it's sure hard to tell, especially as he doesn't believe he needs to take his meds. He meets Tiffany, a recent widow, who is almost as screwed up as he is and he, perhaps unwisely, enlists her help in his attempt to get back with his wife. I hated Russell's last film, The Fighter, which I found, loud, screechy and over the top. But Silver Linings Playbook, though it contains a fair amount of screech, is definitely a charmer. It is not for nothing that it won the People's Choice Award at TIFF. It starts like a drama but eventually segues into more of a romantic comedy. It also gets more contrived as it goes along, but that doesn't matter as much as one might think. Why? Because by that time, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence already had me so invested in their characters that I was ready to just go along for the ride and not ask too many questions. Both are so totally committed to their characters that they compelled my attention. DeNiro and Jacki Weaver are very good as well. But Cooper and Lawrence really are the movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I saw three movies at the theater today.

Silver Linings Playbook

There is really no reason I should love this movie as much as I do. It seems like it should just be another romantic dramedy, but I guess the difference here is that it is written and directed by David O. Russell, who is always a wild card. He brings the frantic energy he brought to Three Kings (which I've said many times is one of my all time favorite films), and transforms what should be familiar into something that always seems fresh and vital. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are both fantastic, and have terrific chemistry, and how great was it to see DeNiro be good in a good movie again? All of those schlocky rom-com's end with some even that has me asking "Why should I care?". Silver Linings Playbook had me so invested, I couldn't wait to see what happened, and can't remember wanting two people to get together more in recent memory. This is one of my very favorite movies of the year, just a fully pleasurable experience.
I saw it last night, and just have a few things to add. Just before I go into spoilers, the cast around them was great too. De Niro, Chris Tucker only had a few spots in the film, but they were all great. Wonder how he ended up in this movie, because in the last 15 years, he only did the Rush Hour series. Jennifer Lawrence has already moved straight to the front of the line in terms of money actresses. She and Bradley Cooper were excellent, and even more so given the difficult source material. It would have been real easy for it to become a complete mess if the right people weren't involved.

Also, the woman who played the principal was in the same theater I was.

Spoil:
Still thought there was enough tension in the end, as Bradley Cooper never addressed that Jennifer Lawrence wrote the letter, which I thought was obvious as soon as she gave it to him. And I was still in suspense (enough) at the end, because both characters were still crazy enough that it could have went either way. I was kind of hoping to see Jennifer Lawrence lose her **** like she did in the diner, but I guess she was doing that sitting at the bar given her issues.

Eagles fans would love the parallels too And being from Philadelphia, it was cool to see some of the scenery around the stadium. The street where De Niro is dropping him off at the game I've been down and walked through many times, because it's between the Linc and the Wells Fargo Center. If you see it again, in the background before they stop is the site where the Spectrum used to be, but it's before they finished building over it.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Stu Macher

I usually miss these things, but as Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were walking away from the diner, and stop in front of the theater, you get a glimpse that the theater is showing Midnight Meat Train, starring Cooper himself. Nice little reference thrown in.

Closed Thread