HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

NHL 13 Dynasty Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 05:52 PM
slightlystewpid420

vCash: 500
Does anyone know how Tanner Pearson turns out?

Old
11-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Benzy19

And the Senators Stanley Cup streak ends at 7. I managed to win the Cup the year after Spezza retired without a number 1 center, but this past year my team needed that 1st line center to win but whatever. Now pretty much all of my forwards contracts are up and it will be tough keeping my team together since I have 5 first liners and 3 2nd liners to sign(some coming off of their ELC). Good thing I won those Cups when I could

Old
11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
emackulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Betcha it was a waiver move. I have seen a few doozies.
ahh that makes sense. totally forgot about that. that's how i got mike richards haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzy19 View Post
Has anyone came across a "franchise" player in the draft yet? I've done probably 30 years in total and have yet to see one. Or did EA take that out of this game?
in year 17/18 i drafted first overall 6'5 centre with 4.5 green stars. he started out at 80. after the first year he increased to an 86. he just finished his second year and he's now an 89. i don't know if that would be considered a franchise player but that's the best player i've ever drafted.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:21 PM
18Hossa

Quote:
Has anyone came across a "franchise" player in the draft yet? I've done probably 30 years in total and have yet to see one. Or did EA take that out of this game?
They are still in there because under the drafting section of gm tasks it says to draft a franchise player. I think that this time they are like 1 in a million or something like that. If anyone finds one post some proof please.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

I drafted a guy who went to 88 after the first years completion if that counts?

Old
11-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Benzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
I drafted a guy who went to 88 after the first years completion if that counts?
If he is a franchise player it would have said that beside his name during the draft. Usually it says top 5, but for it to be a franchise it has to say franchise.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Second round, 46th overall: D Myles Bell. 76 and 4.5 stars, age 19. That was tonight in a new BAGM I started.

In a way it's kinda fun. I sit there with my little notepad, write down my picks and their number and then I get to go check and see what I got. It's like opening a pack of cards and getting a foil or something, lol.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:22 AM
bigwoz62

I thought I was the only notepad weirdo...
I like to track my trades as well. Sometimes if I remember I will see what the picks I traded turned out to be.
Right now I have a be a gm where my core guys are early 2nd and 3rd round picks. Some of my fists are still on the farm. Looking at you Lazar!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
Second round, 46th overall: D Myles Bell. 76 and 4.5 stars, age 19. That was tonight in a new BAGM I started.

In a way it's kinda fun. I sit there with my little notepad, write down my picks and their number and then I get to go check and see what I got. It's like opening a pack of cards and getting a foil or something, lol.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoz62 View Post
I thought I was the only notepad weirdo...
I like to track my trades as well. Sometimes if I remember I will see what the picks I traded turned out to be.
Right now I have a be a gm where my core guys are early 2nd and 3rd round picks. Some of my fists are still on the farm. Looking at you Lazar!!
I write down the first 3 draft picks of each year as well as all players who break 650 goals or 1300 points.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Deku Scrub
BOP

I select my first player in the draft myself every time, but then I just hit auto-draft and then see if I got anyone good in the contracts screen.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

I usually scout the top-15 teams during the season. The day before the draft, I check their profile and add up all the ratings then divide by 25 (#of ratings) and pick who seems to be the best player out of that. I'd say about 95% of the time I end up getting the best player in the draft doing it that way.

After the first round, I write the top 5/10 players that I may want to try and get, the team they were drafted by, overall out of the draft, and potential. I'll hand pick the first 3 round, any after that I trade the picks away for the next season. For the players I write down, I usually follow them for 5-6 seasons or until they hit their ceiling.

People think i'm an idiot for only doing the draft/free agency/trades and that stuff.. I'll play the first game of the season so I can personally get my rookies their first NHL goal.. and if I see that a player is about to break a record, i'll play the game to make sure he gets it. Other than that, the way I see it is that the mode is called Be a GM for a reason.. to BE A GM.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Nick1219

Can anyone tell me what Ryan O'Reilly's ceiling is and if he actually gets any faster than the 80 speed he is originally?

Old
11-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1219 View Post
Can anyone tell me what Ryan O'Reilly's ceiling is and if he actually gets any faster than the 80 speed he is originally?
I'm probably not much help.. but in the 26-27 season, a 36yo O'Reilly has a 79 speed and is 82ovr. I'm more than sure he had eclipsed 80 speed though.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Orange Thunder

Jack Connolly is a tank.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Benzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
People think i'm an idiot for only doing the draft/free agency/trades and that stuff.. I'll play the first game of the season so I can personally get my rookies their first NHL goal.. and if I see that a player is about to break a record, i'll play the game to make sure he gets it. Other than that, the way I see it is that the mode is called Be a GM for a reason.. to BE A GM.
I think it's safe to assume that most people who post in this thread do the same thing, but I agree with you, all my friends who play NHL 13 think I'm retarded for simming whole seasons and not playing the games, I find it funner to watch your players grow and anyone can take a **** team and win the cup but it takes a little more to win it by simming.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:57 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
I think it's safe to assume that most people who post in this thread do the same thing, but I agree with you, all my friends who play NHL 13 think I'm retarded for simming whole seasons and not playing the games, I find it funner to watch your players grow and anyone can take a **** team and win the cup but it takes a little more to win it by simming.
I can usually take columbus and make them into a stanley cup team in two seasons. It really doesnt take much for them. Its just about adding and swapping the right pieces. Brassard/Anisimov/Husselius become pretty beastly, not to mention Murray is all but a franchise player. The first draft is crucial.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:36 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

What's up with the Faceoff stat? It's so unpredictable... it either stays at 60 forever or randomly improve/decrease

Old
11-21-2012, 05:34 PM
bigwoz62

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
I write down the first 3 draft picks of each year as well as all players who break 650 goals or 1300 points.
Nice idea. I should start that.
There is a guy in my gm that palys for Colorado. He leads in goals every year (makes a killer tandem with Duchene). I looked him up, #1 in 2015(?).

I am getting fairly deep into my GM. I was already offered to change teams once, and I think my contract is due after the playoffs. How do I give up on the team that I have molded???? Most of my guys are home grown!!

Old
11-21-2012, 05:39 PM
bigwoz62

Quote:
This is like a support group for sim nerds! I love it!
My buddies think I am retarded to sim sim sim...
I tend to play a few games a year. 1 preseason (test progression and newbies), season opener (test new final roster), allstar game (sometimes), game after trade deadline (or a decent trade), Game 7's of playoffs, and Cup clinching game (if I make it...)

I like to play a couple AHL games too. Gives me a taste of my up and comers...

Old
11-21-2012, 06:28 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoz62 View Post
This is like a support group for sim nerds! I love it!
My buddies think I am retarded to sim sim sim...
I tend to play a few games a year. 1 preseason (test progression and newbies), season opener (test new final roster), allstar game (sometimes), game after trade deadline (or a decent trade), Game 7's of playoffs, and Cup clinching game (if I make it...)

I like to play a couple AHL games too. Gives me a taste of my up and comers...
Yeah I only play game 7s too. If they can't make it to game 7 then they don't deserve the help

Old
11-21-2012, 07:07 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Preach on, brother!

My friends are the same way. "I broke Gretzky's goals and points record in my rookie season!" I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, but I don't want a game I can pick up and easily destroy real life records with. It gets way too repetitive and I personally find no sense of enjoyment or accomplishment doing those things. I love it when my friends say things like, "How could you lose in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals against the computer?" and they just don't seem to get that it's my team playing not me. Usually this quickly prompts a 1-on-1 challenge which they quickly decline (especially since none of my friends have beaten me since NHL 09).

Personally, I don't play any games in my BAGMs. I generally watch the home opener (All-Star, Hardcore, 10-minute periods), sim the regular season, and watch the playoffs. I tend to get really attached to my team and it feels inexplicably amazing when you accomplish your goals like taking a last place team like Columbus and winning the Stanley Cup 6 years later without making any trades (like I did last year ). With the exception of the Toronto Dynasty I did last year (where I literally accepted every trade offered to me ), I very seldom make trades as it's just way too easy to fleece the AI.

I catch flak from friends and my spouse all the time for this approach, but I enjoy myself, so whatever

I pulled an all-nighter and finally finished my custom roster for my franchise. Every attribute possible is derived from aggregated statistics over the past 3 seasons, including playoffs, for over 1200 players and I used scouting reports and skills competitions to fill in the attributes that couldn't be derived from statistics. On top of that, I also updated every team's rosters (based on CapGeek.com's Reserve Lists), made every team cap compliant, removed players who have been released by their respective teams (but are still assigned to them in the game), updated prospect potentials based on Hockey's Future ratings (as well as improved NHL-ready prospects like Ryan Murray and Nail Yakupov), fixed all the goaltending equipment to be accurate to real life (or as close to it as possible), fixed jersey numbers, etc. 4 weeks well spent

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to take Columbus to the Stanley Cup within a decade without making any trades (unless absolutely necessary)

Old
11-21-2012, 07:29 PM
pensrule2011

Alright guys this is amazing so in my Devls GM the 2013 draft had these guys as the top 3 draftees:

1st overall: Goalie 5 star POtential!

2nd overall: Guess again, another goalie 5 star Potential

3rd overall: I bet you know, NOPE a goalie 4.5 stars Potential who I drafted along with a 7TH overall Morrissey

Fun draft though

Old
11-21-2012, 07:34 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
Preach on, brother!

My friends are the same way. "I broke Gretzky's goals and points record in my rookie season!" I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, but I don't want a game I can pick up and easily destroy real life records with. It gets way too repetitive and I personally find no sense of enjoyment or accomplishment doing those things. I love it when my friends say things like, "How could you lose in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals against the computer?" and they just don't seem to get that it's my team playing not me. Usually this quickly prompts a 1-on-1 challenge which they quickly decline (especially since none of my friends have beaten me since NHL 09).

Personally, I don't play any games in my BAGMs. I generally watch the home opener (All-Star, Hardcore, 10-minute periods), sim the regular season, and watch the playoffs. I tend to get really attached to my team and it feels inexplicably amazing when you accomplish your goals like taking a last place team like Columbus and winning the Stanley Cup 6 years later without making any trades (like I did last year ). With the exception of the Toronto Dynasty I did last year (where I literally accepted every trade offered to me ), I very seldom make trades as it's just way too easy to fleece the AI.

I catch flak from friends and my spouse all the time for this approach, but I enjoy myself, so whatever

I pulled an all-nighter and finally finished my custom roster for my franchise. Every attribute possible is derived from aggregated statistics over the past 3 seasons, including playoffs, for over 1200 players and I used scouting reports and skills competitions to fill in the attributes that couldn't be derived from statistics. On top of that, I also updated every team's rosters (based on CapGeek.com's Reserve Lists), made every team cap compliant, removed players who have been released by their respective teams (but are still assigned to them in the game), updated prospect potentials based on Hockey's Future ratings (as well as improved NHL-ready prospects like Ryan Murray and Nail Yakupov), fixed all the goaltending equipment to be accurate to real life (or as close to it as possible), fixed jersey numbers, etc. 4 weeks well spent

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to take Columbus to the Stanley Cup within a decade without making any trades (unless absolutely necessary)
Haha I thought I was the only one who didn't do trades The only ones I'll do are for picks; I never acquire players in trades and I very rarely sign free agents. Smart drafting and developing is much more rewarding

Old
11-21-2012, 07:50 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
Preach on, brother!

If there is a way to save and upload that roster you should totally do it haha

Old
11-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Haha I thought I was the only one who didn't do trades The only ones I'll do are for picks; I never acquire players in trades and I very rarely sign free agents. Smart drafting and developing is much more rewarding

I very rarely trade as well. Sometimes I'll dangle a line near deadline on a star player nearing the end of his deal if I've got some good replacements in the system. Picking up a few 1st rounders is fun, especially if I'm not worried about my ability to go deep in the playoffs. Playoffs I generally play more of... certain teams I'll play every game against, and usually will for the cup. Others I'll do a 1-1 play/sim rotation.

Closed Thread