HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL cities where hockey is #1

Old
11-21-2012, 12:35 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Why do you not count other sports (golf, racing) or NCAA?

Just curious is all.
Because almost every discussion of professional sports leagues uses the NHL, NFL, NBA and MLB as the "big 4" discussion?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:37 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
No, I'm pretty sure hockey is more bigger in Colorado and Pittsburgh. I've been to Denver and I saw much more Avs fans. Pittsburgh I wouldn't know so well, but I'm almost certain they have more than the Steelers.
You could not be more wrong.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

I can only say for these US markets because I've been there and looked into their sports culture: New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Buffalo

In New York, Yankees are the kings of NYC. The NY Giants are second. Jets and Mets are followed afterwards. I would say the Knicks are next. I don't know much about the Brooklyn Nets because I was in NY before they arrived but I can assure you the BK Nets are below the Knicks, but unsure if they're on par with the Rangers in terms of popularity or below. I'm guessing slightly below. Nonetheless, NYC is still a strong market for hockey, tons of hockey fans here and the sport isn't an afterthought like it is in Phoenix.

In Boston, like NYC, baseball rules this town. No matter how bad the Red Sox are, they'll always be the number one most talked about sports team in Boston. As for the other three major sports, it depends which team does well. Right now, it's Patriots second, Celtics third, Bruins fourth although not much difference separating Bruins and Celts. Whichever of the three team is terrible, it's pretty much irrelevant in the Boston sports scene. I talked to this one Bostonian and he said when the Bruins were terrible, they were behind BC and BU college hockey. He even remembered the 1990 Patriots that was 1-15, and they were a complete afterthought.

In Washington, Redskins rule the town. Hockey was second but I'm guessing the Nationals are now number two. The Wizards are a distant fourth. My guess is whichever team does well will get more coverage and whichever team is terrible will be an afterthought. My guess is the Caps pre-Ovechkin were a complete afterthought and very little people in DC paid attention to hockey, although I can be sure of this, but it's my assumption and speculation

Philly is a football town. Eagles dominate the sports headlines. Phillies also dominate the headlines. The flyers are third, sixers are fourth. I'm sure if the flyers and sixers will switch spots if the Flyers go under the tank and the Sixers become a championship calibre team. Regardless, Philly is a solid hockey town. I guess the Flyers of the 1970s helped carve an identity that Philadelphia sports fans can relate to.

And finally Buffalo...for me it's hard to say which one is more popular. My guess is the Bills because the NFL is always more popular. However, the Bills have missed the playoffs for 13 years while the Sabres somewhat put a competitive team almost every year, so for me its hard to make that judgement call.

Feel free to discuss...I'm sure I'm wrong on some of these assumptions but then again, this is just pure speculation on my part because I've been to these cities.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
No, I'm pretty sure hockey is more bigger in Colorado and Pittsburgh. I've been to Denver and I saw much more Avs fans. Pittsburgh I wouldn't know so well, but I'm almost certain they have more than the Steelers.
I think Denver is a Broncos town. Pittsburgh is definitely a Steelers town. If the Pirates were good, they'd probably be number 2.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
I think Denver is a Broncos town. Pittsburgh is definitely a Steelers town. If the Pirates were good, they'd probably be number 2.
Why does everyone keep saying this? Stop talking if you don't know what you're talking about.

Two decades of futility in a time where another team has spent three decades growing their product while mostly having success on the ice will do a lot to swing things. Throw in the fact that the 80s were a nightmare for the Pirates as well and you only have three years since the 1979 World Series where the Pirates have been a blip on the radar of the baseball world...well, unless you count our mascot selling half the league drugs in the mid-80s.

When I was in high school you couldn't find a person who followed the Pirates. Penguins stuff? Everywhere. I graduated in 2005...the Penguins were awful my entire time in high school and didn't even play that season. Crosby had nothing to do with anything yet. Mind you the South Hills has always been more accepting of the Penguins than some of the other parts of the city.

Hockey isn't #1 in Pittsburgh...but in certain demographics it is extremely close, if not slightly tilted towards the Penguins. Amongst the older crowd it's still 100% a Steelers city so it will be a long time until the Steelers are unseated, but both teams are treated like royalty in Pittsburgh. The Pirates are nowhere in the discussion and most attention given to them is spent making fun of them or comparing the ownership unfavorably to war criminals.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 11-21-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:47 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Buffalo is the only real possible option, but that'd assuredly change if the Bills were halfway decent and their fans weren't half-convinced that they were going to relocate an hour after their current owner passes away.

Twins and especially the Vikings are bigger than the Wild in the Twin Cities, Tigers and especially the Lions are bigger than the Wings in Detroit (as are the Pistons when they're good), the freaking MLB and NFL teams from Cleveland and Cincinnati are bigger in Columbus than the BJs, not to mention the Buckeyes, San Jose is bigger into the Giants and the 49ers in San Fran than the Sharks, the Pats, Sox, and Celtics are all bigger than the Bruins (though the Celtics might fall if they suck), and....

Quote:
..... absolutely, positively not. The Avs are safely #4 in Denver behind the Broncos, Rockies, and Nuggets, and it's not even close except for maybe the Nuggets. And the Penguins are not even anywhere near the Steelers in terms of popularity.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:01 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Because almost every discussion of professional sports leagues uses the NHL, NFL, NBA and MLB as the "big 4" discussion?
If the question was which big 4 league city has hockey as #1 then I totally agree with you.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:31 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Last time I checked Talladega, Alabama doesn't have a pro hockey team.

In fact there's only two maybe three states that have hockey teams where NASCAR is really big. Texas, North Carolina, maybe Nashville. NASCAR is just as regional as hockey is, probably more.
There are more race tracks in the world than pro hockey teams. NASCAR is a sanctioning body. It's not a form of racing.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:34 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
The Steelers are bigger than the Penguins. I live in Pittsburgh, so...

Old
11-21-2012, 02:19 PM
rafterman

vCash: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberdachen View Post
Even if the Twins went a decade without winning a game and they used a different fan's face as a catcher's mitt for each pitch, their support would still dwarf the Wild's. I'll listen to arguments as to whether the Vikings or the Twins are #1, but it takes a big deal year like this would have been to get the Wild even in legitimate #3 contention with the Timberwolves.
I agree completely. The Wild are at best #3, far behind #2, and more than likely, they are actually 4th behind the Wolves. The local media gives the Wolves more coverage, while the Wild (even with Russo being one of the better beat writers in the league) is mostly an afterthought that gets lost in the media mix with Gopher hockey and hoops.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:25 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

There is no U.S. city where hockey is #1. Heck there isn't a single U.S. city where hockey is #2.

Top three is

NFL
MLB
NBA/NHL fighting for scraps. I would still put more NBA team's over NHL team's.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Jopsey

Now does this question mean Hockey in general or the NHL compared to other professional sports? If it's just the NHL then the Wild comes after the vikings for sure but possibly comes before the Twins. This year with the new additions of Parise and Suter I think the Wild are bigger than the Twins but still behind the Vikings. If you are talking Hockey in general then I would say Hockey is number 1 in Minnesota. College hockey is huge here, Highschool hockey is huge with the xcel energy center selling out every year for the highschool hockey tournament, and of course the Wild.

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:57 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
Detroit is the only maybe for US cities.

The Sabres are huge in Buffalo, but a Stanley Cup Sabres team still doesn't compare to an 8-8 Bills team.
Good news for the Sabres is that it would take a miracle for the Bills to be an 8-8 team.

Also, I think a strong argument could be made for Buffalo based on where they consistently rank in ratings, both for Sabres games and nationally televised ones in which Buffalo isn't playing.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:08 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Last time I checked Talladega, Alabama doesn't have a pro hockey team.

In fact there's only two maybe three states that have hockey teams where NASCAR is really big. Texas, North Carolina, maybe Nashville. NASCAR is just as regional as hockey is, probably more.
And as far as Raleigh (where the Canes are based) goes NASCAR is mostly irrelevant. It's all about college sports here, with the Canes being next in line.

Minnesota is the only market I can think of, and I'd still say the Vikings are #1 in the state and certainly in MSP. And while the Twins are bigger then the Wild by a lot, I'd say that the Gophers and HS hockey are bigger then either so that would make hockey #2 in that state. Not sure if that's the case throughout the MSP area though.

Only city with a real case right now would be Buffalo... and that wouldn't be the case if the Bills weren't terribad. Wings are behind the Tigers for sure, almost certainly the Lions, and I'd say the Pistons may even be bigger when they're good.

Last edited by DaveG: 11-21-2012 at 03:15 PM.
DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

It seems like Pittsburgh and Buffalo are the only ones where hockey is #2. Every other city it's #3 or 4.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:54 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
in the case of the carolina hurricanes, their main competition is college sports. they have the university of north carolina, duke university and nc state in their market. basketball is a huge draw with a threeway super intense rivalry. nc state plays its home games in the same arena as the canes.

the nhl is the only professional league in the market.

nascar is not really regional. they race in every population center in the united states. the difference is that they a maximum of two events in a given market in a year. they are not competition for a team sport.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
nascar is not really regional. they race in every population center in the united states. the difference is that they a maximum of two events in a given market in a year. they are not competition for a team sport.
Just because they race somewhere doesn't mean there's a huge fan base of passionate followers there. NASCAR is most definitely a regional 'sport', one that has almost no presence in the north and west of the country.

The definition of the 'big four' doesn't change depending on where you live anyway. It's clearly meant for professional team sports. College football and/or college basketball outrank members of the big four in a lot of cities. The NBA has absolutely no presence in Pittsburgh, for example...but the Pitt Panthers basketball team isn't direct competition for the Penguins like an NBA team would be.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 11-21-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 05:27 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Not sure, really don't pay a lot of attention, but I think the Caps in Virginia/DC come second to the Red Skins. Though that could of changed with the Nationals season this year.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:30 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Just because they race somewhere doesn't mean there's a huge fan base of passionate followers there. NASCAR is most definitely a regional 'sport', one that has almost no presence in the north and west of the country.

The definition of the 'big four' doesn't change depending on where you live anyway. It's clearly meant for professional team sports. College football and/or college basketball outrank members of the big four in a lot of cities. The NBA has absolutely no presence in Pittsburgh, for example...but the Pitt Panthers basketball team isn't direct competition for the Penguins like an NBA team would be.
No...

Racing has more presence around the world than a lot of sports do.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:45 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
You, sir, are severely wrong.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:52 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
You, sir, are severely wrong.
So true. Steelers have a waiting list for season tickets that is 88,000 people long. Season ticket holders pass there tickets in there wills to there kids.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Hammer Time

Every Canadian city for obvious reasons. In the USA, Minneapolis/St. Paul is probably the only sure bet (when you can even sell out high school tournaments, it's a pretty popular sport), possibly Buffalo but that's it.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
No...

Racing has more presence around the world than a lot of sports do.
Well we're not talking about other types of racing, we're just talking about NASCAR/stock car racing and we're not talking about 'around the world', we're talking about the north and west of the United States.

F1's popularity in Finland isn't exactly relevant to this discussion.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:20 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I can only speak for Philly and I will since I've thought about this extensively for some reason.

The Eagles hold a monopoly. They have a diehard core and a plethora of fair weather fans. The Phillies bounce between 2nd and 3rd, passing the Eagles for like 6 months after their WS victory. When they stink though, no one pays attention to them, and they have the highest percentage of bandwagoners BY FAR.

The Flyers have the most devoted core. I mean, they just sell out perpetually. When the Eagles are bad, everyone is down on them, all hope is gone, etc, but people still follow. There's always hope with the Flyers. They pass the Phillies when they stink (late 90's, for instance). Normally they're around #3. I don't think they'll ever pass the Eagles, although I'd argue the Flyers have the most devoted fans.

Sixers...it's a shame. I remember when they made their run to the Finals against the Lakers, it really wasn't THAT talked about. People were excited, sure, but it paled to the other 3 teams' runs. They do have new ownership that cares, so hopefully that will help them out. But I don't see them passing the Flyers, they simply do not have a strong loyal core. They have loyal fans, but Flyers dominate them in that regard.

So for me,

1 - Eagles
2 - Phillies, unless they stink, then 3
3 - Flyers
4 - Sixers

I actually think the Union have a chance at passing the Sixers.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:00 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT21 View Post
I know this thread is similar to one already posted but thought this would be interesting.

Which NHL cities can say that hockey is it's #1 sport in popularity?

Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto

Any U.S. teams?

Detroit ?
San Jose?
Hockey IS #1 in Minnesota. Just because the Wild aren't #1-doesn't mean that the actual sport of hockey isn't #1.

As for Buffalo: it's very close right now, but I lived there pre-2007, and football and the Bills were easily bigger. Granted it was still bigger than most NHL cities.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote