HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2012, 12:11 PM
  #601
corksens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
It's not that Alfie and Hossa, ect are bad leaders (back then) - it's that Gary Friggin' Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk were better ones.

Those two guys are practically legends. That - plus a swing in goaltending and the series goto the leafs.

corksens is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 05:29 PM
  #602
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,267
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
When I posted I figured you were probably being sarcastic but I wanted to bump and couldnt think of anything else to say
Lol, you're sneaky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Ugh. No way I want any of our goalies compared in any way to Lundqvist. That guy is soft as a marshmallow mentally. If it wasn't for three quarters of the Rangers throwing themselves in front of every damned puck, he'd be worthless.

I'd be ecstatic to see Lehner as halfway between a Ron Hextall and Patrick Roy.
LOL, if it wasn't for Lundqvist NYR wouldn't be making the playoffs before last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
It's not that Alfie and Hossa, ect are bad leaders (back then) - it's that Gary Friggin' Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk were better ones.

Those two guys are practically legends. That - plus a swing in goaltending and the series goto the leafs.
I disagree. Both teams had the required leadership. Goalies were the main difference. We had **** goaltending when it mattered the most all through-out our history.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 06:53 PM
  #603
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,206
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Ugh. No way I want any of our goalies compared in any way to Lundqvist. That guy is soft as a marshmallow mentally. If it wasn't for three quarters of the Rangers throwing themselves in front of every damned puck, he'd be worthless.

I'd be ecstatic to see Lehner as halfway between a Ron Hextall and Patrick Roy.
So a HHOFer i guess then ehh.

WasTeD is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 05:13 AM
  #604
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
So a HHOFer i guess then ehh.
HHOFer is only good enough if he isn't a marshmallow.

sg58 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 07:51 AM
  #605
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,650
vCash: 50
Ok, thinking the ceiling as a Hextall-Roy is a bit much. I'll admit that. Let's just say I'd be estatic if he was a Hextall. I want to see a goalie between the pipes in Ottawa that has a big ego and isn't afraid to be cocky and combative in nets. The ego on the ice (whether it's the goalie or osmeone else) is the one intangible that Ottawa always seems to be missing.

As for Lundqvist, I'm holding my ground on that one. They guy lets bad goals get to him and it takes him a good 5 minutes (gametime) to get back in the groove after a goal. You can see it in his body language. Yes, he's very sound technically - but that part of the game can be taught. The mental side is more of a 'you have it or you don't' kind of thing. I want my goalie to be mentally tough. Never give up; battle, battle, battle...and I just don't see that in Henrik.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 12:03 PM
  #606
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,148
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Ok, thinking the ceiling as a Hextall-Roy is a bit much. I'll admit that. Let's just say I'd be estatic if he was a Hextall. I want to see a goalie between the pipes in Ottawa that has a big ego and isn't afraid to be cocky and combative in nets. The ego on the ice (whether it's the goalie or osmeone else) is the one intangible that Ottawa always seems to be missing.

As for Lundqvist, I'm holding my ground on that one. They guy lets bad goals get to him and it takes him a good 5 minutes (gametime) to get back in the groove after a goal. You can see it in his body language. Yes, he's very sound technically - but that part of the game can be taught. The mental side is more of a 'you have it or you don't' kind of thing. I want my goalie to be mentally tough. Never give up; battle, battle, battle...and I just don't see that in Henrik.
We had Emery and he was run out of town

Do Make Say Think is online now  
Old
11-22-2012, 01:35 PM
  #607
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
it's that Gary Friggin' Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk were better ones.

Those two guys are practically legends. That - plus a swing in goaltending and the series goto the leafs.
Roberts an Nieuwendyk were pretty much run out of Calgary on a rail for leading massive choke jobs when the Stanley Cup winning team was turned over to their generation.

1989 = Cup Win with all of the older players
1990 = 2nd overall in NHL standings, 1st round embarrassment
1991 = 4th overall in NHL standings, 1st round embarrassment
1992 = missed playoffs
1993 = 9th overall in NHL standings, 1st round embarrassment
1994 = 7th overall in NHL standings, 1st round embarrassment
1995 = 7th overall in NHL standings, 1st round embarrassment

That was 5 straight choke jobs against lower seeds in 6 seasons, in many cases 20-25 points lower seeded teams .

Ottawa has lost to 4 lower seeded teams in it's history (and won against 4 higher seeded teams). Two of those losses were to teams were within 5 points of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
It's not that Alfie and Hossa, ect are bad leaders (back then)
This is how old the key players on the team were for the 3rd meeting against the Leafs in 2002, so they were even younger before that.

Havlat 20 - Bonk 25 - Hossa 22
McEachern 32 - White 26 - Alfie 28

Redden 24 - Salo 26
Phillips 23 - Chara 24

They were quite a bit younger than the "young and developing" Leafs team is right now and yet, it wasn't ok to miss the playoffs by a wide margin... they were expected to make the playoffs, beat a much higher seed spending 50% more money and challenge for the Cup.

And while they weren't a shining example of a young team winning in the playoffs... they absolutely blew away those Calgary teams led by Roberts & Nieuwendyk.

trentmccleary is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 05:53 PM
  #608
JD1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
The original point is really irrelevant to whether you believe we were dominated or not. The original point is simply false by its own right; player x was on a team that lost, therefore player x must suck. Hossa doesn't suck, and if Zibby pans out to be another Hossa, it'll be a huge win for the organization..
I made the original point and my point was simply this

Hossa was a main cog in the wheel when we went thru losing playoff after losing playoff, with many of those years having higher expectations than results. I never said he sucked. He was a great player. But he also had a long run here of not getting it done when it mattered. You can bring up as many excuses as you want for why that happened, but the fact is it did happen. He was one of a few offensive leaders that we relied on and he did not get it done wearing our jersey! frankly, i don't care what ZBad turns out to be so long as he has our logo on if he ever hoists a cup.

JD1 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:57 PM
  #609
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Is he really the real deal?

Nordic* is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
  #610
BeerandHockey
╚(Ž_Ž)╝
 
BeerandHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BAR_B_Q_HAVEN
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,134
vCash: 500
At this point I would be happy if he is a Magnus Arvredson caliber player. I am starting to worry about his lack of finish. But things can change and he is young.

BeerandHockey is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 06:54 PM
  #611
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,267
vCash: 50
Watching Zibanejad play more and more, he is getting better and better at just being a force on the ice which resulted into 2 points last game because he drew attention to himself.

His skillset really marvels me, the speed, IQ, awareness, physicality etc... Once the finishing comes, he'll be one of the best all-around players in the league. I'm very confident. If not he'll still be a very solid serviceable NHLer for years to come.


Last edited by ReginKarlssonLehner: 11-26-2012 at 06:59 PM.
ReginKarlssonLehner is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 06:58 PM
  #612
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,020
vCash: 500
Yep definitely starting to worry a bit. Kind of need a bit more to get excited about here.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 07:02 PM
  #613
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,267
vCash: 50
Lol, funny how Zibanejad is 4th in the team in scoring and 3 points back of Silfver yet it seems like hes done nothing. If he starts producing more, he could go on a tear.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:21 AM
  #614
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,483
vCash: 1470
I do not understand what this "worry" is all about. Just came from a poor team that stunted his development and played on big ice. Opposing players are keying on Zib and Silf and the ice is smaller. Once they both figure things out, they will both be a force to reckon.

DylanSensFan is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:37 AM
  #615
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 16,932
vCash: 500
Zibandejad's agent is saying that Ottawa won't release him for the WJCs.

Weird, thought it would be good tournament for him. Though it's unfair if he had had two WJC game winners .

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle15851389.ab

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:25 AM
  #616
General Granny*
 
General Granny*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
What the hell? I remember Dorian saying that 2nd year tournament players are the ones that dominate, let him dominate for a week or so to gain his confidence then come back, its not like the Bsens are suddenly going to collapse without his production.

General Granny* is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:27 AM
  #617
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Zibandejad's agent is saying that Ottawa won't release him for the WJCs.

Weird, thought it would be good tournament for him. Though it's unfair if he had had two WJC game winners .

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle15851389.ab
I think this is a mistake by Ottawa, I think would help him a lot if he went, he will be relied on to be a top scorer there. We need mika to become that and gain some confidence.

Lehner is online now  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:28 AM
  #618
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
What the hell? I remember Dorian saying that 2nd year tournament players are the ones that dominate, let him dominate for a week or so to gain his confidence then come back, its not like the Bsens are suddenly going to collapse without his production.
On the other hand, him flying around in a plane last year, big ice, to small ice, to big ice again....didn't help him at all.

They are choosing the stability route in this one and its the safe route. If they think he's getting more comfortable on small ice in Bingo, don't just take him away from it all of a sudden.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:58 AM
  #619
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
On the other hand, him flying around in a plane last year, big ice, to small ice, to big ice again....didn't help him at all.

They are choosing the stability route in this one and its the safe route. If they think he's getting more comfortable on small ice in Bingo, don't just take him away from it all of a sudden.
Again, agreed 100%. I would rather the organization do what they believe is best for him as a player for us, rather than send him to the tourny to reassure some fans that he is a good prospect by putting points up.

If they send him, great, we will get to see him gain national praise by hopefully dominating. If not, he will continue to progress at a level closer to the NHL.

(I would love to see him in the world juniors, but trust Ottawa's judgement)

Pilgore88 is online now  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
  #620
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
We had Emery and he was run out of town
Emery wasn't run out of town, he bought his own ticket on that bus.

Holdurbreathe is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:34 AM
  #621
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lol, funny how Zibanejad is 4th in the team in scoring and 3 points back of Silfver yet it seems like hes done nothing. If he starts producing more, he could go on a tear.
Well if Petersson can get his act together it sure would help Zibby production wise.

Holdurbreathe is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:39 AM
  #622
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
On the other hand, him flying around in a plane last year, big ice, to small ice, to big ice again....didn't help him at all.

They are choosing the stability route in this one and its the safe route. If they think he's getting more comfortable on small ice in Bingo, don't just take him away from it all of a sudden.
I agree with this, I also think the Sens were disappointed in how Zib was handled, by both the Djurgardens and the Swedish national junior team.

Probably an easy decision for the Sens, keep him in NA and ensure continuity in the development plan.

Holdurbreathe is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:52 AM
  #623
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 87
Maybe we could start to accept that Zibanejad has no finish, and that he'll be a good NHL'er and nothing more.

John Holmes* is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:16 AM
  #624
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,910
vCash: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Maybe we could start to accept that Zibanejad has no finish, and that he'll be a good NHL'er and nothing more.
Depends how you define a "good player." If that means a 50-60 point two way forward, then I agree. But still, its way too early to put a cap on his potential. Like it or not, there is a substantial difference between the rink sizes, and hes only 19. I dont think we will see the true Mika until next year. If we still have the same complaints, then maybe theres something to them.

derriko is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
  #625
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 87
We are seeing the real Zibanejad. He's never put up numbers at any level, ever.

To suggest that he is going to be a 50-60 point NHL'er is a fantasy at best. He's a long, LONG way from there.

John Holmes* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.