HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not gonna be home anytime soon :(

Old
11-21-2012, 05:37 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Not gonna be home anytime soon :(

I just hit a deer at 55 mph. I'm very sorry for the deer and I feel horrible. I've not been in something like this before and I just feel absolutely horrible. I'm not even sure if my insurance will cover a decent replacement as I was driving a 98 chevy blazer. I'm sitting in the car waiting for the tow. Here are a few pics.

Tow truck is here. Heading to Lou's in Canastota. *sigh*

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:40 PM
ZSensFan

Wow, glad you're okay! Scary what can happen in an instant!

ZSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Saabman0508
Harb Quote Count: 9

That's awful main. Most important thing is that you are ok.

Saabman0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Holy cow, or should I say Holy Deer...

Just kidding man, glad you're ok...

It's a pity cars are so dear these days

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:57 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Oh man, thought that only happened in movies. As long as you're good, Al. Wow, though, that is some damage caused by a dear. I've seen less damage by two speeding cars hitting each other!

Show us pics of the dear. Btw, I love how you showed us a pic of the back of ur car with the Sens stickers, loooool.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:05 PM
benjiv1

Did you kill the deer or did it hobble off somewhere? (I'm guessing he died on impact based on the damage)

Either way, you shouldn't feel too bad, nothing you could have done about it. (even if you had stopped or tried to stop before hitting it, it could have caused it to fly through your windshield according to Mythbusters)

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Oh man, thought that only happened in movies. As long as you're good, Al. Wow, though, that is some damage caused by a dear. I've seen less damage by two speeding cars hitting each other!

Show us pics of the dear. Btw, I love how you showed us a pic of the back of ur car with the Sens stickers, loooool.
You thought hitting deer only happened in movies...?

Rhino Reilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

deer

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:28 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Wow, that sucks man, but glad you are okay. Very sorry for the deer too (I'm a huge animal lover). Ironically, I hope it died on impact, as I prefer this to thinking of the poor thing suffering and likely then dying anyway.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:40 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I just got home. I was on 92 between Cazenovia and Manlius. There're two short stretches of four-lane of which I was on one of them passing a guy who was doing 50 and speed limit was 55. I was directly to his left when the deer came across. It was a huge deer so yeah it did do a lot of damage and sadly I doubt it lived. I don't even recall what happened to it...I believe I hit the deer closer to the backside, so I would think it would spin from the impact and go to the driver to my right but I don't think that happened. I don't think it bounced off to my left and into the oncoming lane either. I'm not sure. I was really shocked by the situation and I had no idea what to do. The car was clearly wrecked and I pulled off to the side. I could see it start to smoke so I was afraid it would catch on fire and blow up so I got out.

A few days ago I was on my way home and just toward the town edge of Manlius there was a hit deer that was still alive and the police had come in to set up cones and get (I'm assuming) animal control to come pick it up or perhaps a vet. It didn't feel like that in this situation...I'm pretty sure the deer is gone. If it is still out there god help it.

I called a friend of mine for some advice and he said (summarily) to call the insurance company first as getting the police involved and having the accident documented could cause a larger rate hike. I called the insurance company and they took my claim info. They didn't mention if I needed an accident report so hopefully it's not required. We'll see on Friday - hopefully the claims person gets in touch with me and totals the car.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I was in the passenger seat as a 12 year old traveling in South Dakota when we hit a deer.

One of the most traumatizing moments of my life. I know how horrible it is.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:02 PM
jbeck5

"Just almost died and totaled my car. Quick, get on hfboards!"

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:03 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
You thought hitting deer only happened in movies...?
Sarcasm, even though I did poor job in displaying it, loooooooooooool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
deer
Hahaha, I was out of it.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Don't act like you wouldn't do the same.

First thing you do is tell your family.

We are his family. You are the estranged uncle

Old
11-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Legend Killer

A man died on the 417 last week hitting a moose with his car. Much bigger animal but many people have been killed in deer-vehicle collisions. You are lucky.

Deer dont go to the vet after they get hit by cars. They get shot, usually by police.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:14 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
I just got home. I was on 92 between Cazenovia and Manlius. There're two short stretches of four-lane of which I was on one of them passing a guy who was doing 50 and speed limit was 55. I was directly to his left when the deer came across. It was a huge deer so yeah it did do a lot of damage and sadly I doubt it lived. I don't even recall what happened to it...I believe I hit the deer closer to the backside, so I would think it would spin from the impact and go to the driver to my right but I don't think that happened. I don't think it bounced off to my left and into the oncoming lane either. I'm not sure. I was really shocked by the situation and I had no idea what to do. The car was clearly wrecked and I pulled off to the side. I could see it start to smoke so I was afraid it would catch on fire and blow up so I got out.

A few days ago I was on my way home and just toward the town edge of Manlius there was a hit deer that was still alive and the police had come in to set up cones and get (I'm assuming) animal control to come pick it up or perhaps a vet. It didn't feel like that in this situation...I'm pretty sure the deer is gone. If it is still out there god help it.

I called a friend of mine for some advice and he said (summarily) to call the insurance company first as getting the police involved and having the accident documented could cause a larger rate hike. I called the insurance company and they took my claim info. They didn't mention if I needed an accident report so hopefully it's not required. We'll see on Friday - hopefully the claims person gets in touch with me and totals the car.
Be careful with how you answer the agent. They will try and get you to answer in ways that will put you at fault. (at least according to my friend who hit a deer twice last year)

If I remember correctly you're supposed to say "The deer hit my truck, and there was no way of avoiding the impact."

If you say YOU hit the deer, they may try and put you at fault.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Ouroboros

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Local zoo's usually have first dibs on deer that have been hit. If there are no claims, the driver that hit it can keep it. You have to be quick, the deer will start to go bad as soon as it dies, so you need to get it to a butcher asap or bleed it yourself. Don't know if your neighbours are cool with a deer strung up being bleed out. Police have to give you consent to take it. I guess people would shoot them and say they hit them with their cars when not in hunting season.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Be careful with how you answer the agent. They will try and get you to answer in ways that will put you at fault. (at least according to my friend who hit a deer twice last year)

If I remember correctly you're supposed to say "The deer hit my truck, and there was no way of avoiding the impact."

"The deer hit my car"

How old are you? lol

Unless he is with some back waters insurance company, this is not uncommon. They know deer run out onto the road and at night it is next to impossible to see them in time.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:28 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
I'm primary on call for work this week. My first thought was not to get on hfboards. My first thought was to call my friend for advice. The next thing I did was text my backup to let her know I would not be home and could not answer any pages from work so she would have to be logged into her computer from home and ready to address any urgent issues. While I was texting her I received a phone call from a # I did not recognize, so I didn't answer it. I then texted my boss to let him know of my situation and that I contacted my backup. I then listened to my voicemail to see it was an issue about work and they'd received my contact information from an indirect boss. I txt'd my backup to let her know and that she would have to handle the situation. I then txt'd my indirect boss to let him know the situation would be addressed by my backup. I then finally got in touch with the insurance company after being disconnected 3 times. After a 1/2 hour discussion I called the tow place and arranged for a pickup. I then called my brother to let him know I will likely not be over for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

So while I was waiting for the tow I wanted to tell someone, but someone who wouldn't worry about me. My first thought was all of you Lehner Lovers who pretty much despise me but may find a thread discussing the chain of events interesting, and will sadly see my little SensMobile put to rest. Sue me.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:29 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post

Good point, but NY is a no-fault state. It doesn't matter who's fault it is.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:10 PM
StikTBo

I heard Lehner sent out deers to haters

StikTBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:13 PM
MatthewT

better than hitting a moose,

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Al Cervick

I know your probably shook up right now but it may have been for the best that you actually hit the deer. I had a really good friend who was riding in the passenger seat with his girlfriend driving and their 3 year old son in his car seat in the back. They were driving on Rt. 31 in Jordan-Elbridge (not far from you). 55 mph speed limit on the road. They came upon a deer standing in the road and it was about 10:30 pm so she swerved to miss the deer ended up turning the car on it's side with the roof of the car smacking into a tree. My buddy was airlifted to upstate. His lady was rushed by ambulance to upstate. Their boy came out without a scratch and the thing is he got himself out of the car seat and went to the road and the first person that drove by stopped because their is a little kid on the side of a busy road all by himself. I'm sorry to say my friend didn't make it and his girl died a week later. He was a huge Red Wings fan and we have been to alot of Crunch game's together. I feel awful for their son to had to lose both his parents so young.http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._that_hes.html

Al Cervick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:32 PM
OD99

Wow - glad you are OK because it did a lot of damage.

Almost better it happened instantly as if you tried to avoid it you could have swerved into other traffic or run off the road, etc...hopefully your insurance sets you up with a rental right away and then gives you good book value for your car.

Coincidentally I was in OH last week driving from Cle to Cinci and there were dead deer strewn about the highway - I couldn't go 15 miles without seeing another carcass it seemed...they must be out and about getting ready for winter.

Also...since I know you are OK...any chance you are streaming the Bingo/Marlies game tomorrow? I was hoping CBC or Sportsnet or someone would pick it up but it doesn't look like it.

Sorry, bad timing I know but I just asked for my season ticket money back today and will be leaning on Bingo more than usual.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote