HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Duchene's lockout adventure in Europe

Old
11-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

vCash: 500
Thank you for the updates KRM

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:04 AM
DanishAvsfan

Highlights:

http://www.frolundaindians.com/artikel/30240/

DanishAvsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Two primary assists by Duchene today in a 0-4 win, his line did one heck of game.
Thanks for posting.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

A very long interview with Duchene here. I picked out some quotes, but you guys can run it through Google Translate if you like.

Doesn't like the road in Sweden
"Road games are tough since the travelling schedule sucks compared to the NHL. But that was something that I was expecting; some trips can take up to seven hours and then you're playing right after that. I'm trying to adjust."

"I'm enjoying my time here. The team has been struggling to find consistency between games, but we've got another month to fix that (before contract is up)."

On the lockout
"The news have been positive the last few days, so there might be cause for optimism about getting a season going soon, hopefully within a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to putting on an NHL jersey again. Hopefully I'll be in shape by then."

On his line
"We (Duchene, Stalberg, Brunnstrom) have been together almost every game. We have some good chemistry, but me and Stalberg are practially at the end of pre-season, so we have a few things to work on still."

On the SEL
"Neither of us have played in the SEL before; we're still not used to the big ice surface. It's not easy coming to a new league. Everyone opponent is new to you, you have no idea how they're gonna play. Some teams are really hard to play against."

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:43 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
A very long interview with Duchene here. I picked out some quotes, but you guys can run it through Google Translate if you like.

"Road games are tough since the travelling schedule sucks compared to the NHL. But that was something that I was expecting; some trips can take up to seven hours and then you're playing right after that. I'm trying to adjust."

"I'm enjoying my time here. The team has been struggling to find consistency between games, but we've got another month to fix that (before contract is up)."

On the lockout
"The news have been positive the last few days, so there might be cause for optimism about getting a season going soon, hopefully within a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to putting on an NHL jersey again. Hopefully I'll be in shape by then."

On his line
"We (Duchene, Stalberg, Brunnstrom) have been together almost every game. We have some good chemistry, but me and Stalberg are practially at the end of pre-season, so we have a few things to work on still."

On the SEL
"Neither of us have played in the SEL before; we're still not used to the big ice surface. It's not easy coming to a new league. Everyone opponent is new to you, you have no idea how they're gonna play. Some teams are really hard to play against."
This guy is going to come back and explode. He's playing top level hockey and is staying in shape. Gaining confidence, and that will carry over to the nhl.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
This guy is going to come back and explode. He's playing top level hockey and is staying in shape. Gaining confidence, and that will carry over to the nhl.
I'll quote this 10 games in. Duchene "is going to come back and explode".

I certainly hope so to be honest though.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

http://www.justin.tv/dettuttarupptaget#/w/4183279440/5

Duchene with an assist on Brunnstrom's goal.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

With Stalberg now gone to the KHL, Duchene has a new linemate. Former Coyote, Ranger, Flame, and Leaf, Fredrik Sjostrom joins the top unit for Tuesday's home game versus Modo.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:20 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
With Stalberg now gone to the KHL, Duchene has a new linemate. Former Coyote, Ranger, Flame, and Leaf, Fredrik Sjostrom joins the top unit for Tuesday's home game versus Modo.
Should be a good one! The Stalberg and Duchene line carried some good punch but it felt like Dutchy wasn't being fed pucks as much as he should be considering he works well with the extra ice and space.

For those that were heavy on the "puck-hog" criticisms, how's he doing?

Cresto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:

On the lockout

On his line

On the SEL
2 weeks late reading this but still much appreciated!

Cresto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Apparently Duchene has changed, from what he says here it seems like he's still got that competitive edge to him.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...ammates/11913/

Quote:
Kind of an explosive story out of Sweden involving Avalanche refugee Matt Duchene. Sounds like the honeymoon has definitely worn off for the youngster on his team, Frolunda. After a 2-0 loss to Modo Ė Peter Forsbergís old team Ė last night, Duchene let loose with some verbal fusillades against his teamís effort. While he did not single anybody out by name, Duchene out and out criticized the effort of some.
I have gotten a Google translation of his quotes from a story in the Swedish paper Aftonbladet. I have also gotten further verification of the quotes from journalists in Europe.

Here is some of what was reported to be what he said:
ďJoel Lundqvist is a perfect example. He always works his ass off. Everyone should do that. But Iím not so sure everyone gets that. We just canīt play this bad. It is so poor. We were getting booed by our own fans, itís unacceptable. They pay a lot of money to watch us and itís not fair of us to play so bad,Ē said Duchene to hockeysverige.se.

ďIf this was in the NHL, five players would be sent down to the minors after a game like this. But here, players are too comfortable. There are 33 million Canadians that would sacrifice an arm to play hockey at this level.Ē

ďWe play good against the top teams, like HV71. This Monday we had a good practice. But on the morning skate before the game it wasnít good. The guys werenít ready. The intensity was missing. But this is your job. You have to work your ass off every day. You have to empty the tank. This is not a ďSocial hourĒ. You canít just put your skates on and skate around. Everyone could have a bad game, but when you donít prepare yourself for a game, when you donít give it your very bestÖ. If we play like this against a top team like Skellefte? we would be down 5-0 after the first period.Ē

At the end, the coach of the Frolunda, Kent Johansson, commented on Ducheneīs quotes: ďThe biggest problem is that not everyone is contributing. Duchene didnít do that either. You have to do your own job well before you criticize others. On the other hand, itís good that we show that we donít accept this performance,Ē he said to Swedish media.

Good times, sounds like.

Hat tip to Eurolanche.com chief David Puchovsky for referring me to this kerfuffle.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Chileiceman

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...ammates/11913/

Duchene none too happy with his teammate's efforts. That is one thing about Matty. Even when he's not at his best and making questionable decisions, you can never doubt his effort level. It's good to see that he finds lazy play unacceptable.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Apparently Duchene has changed, from what he says here it seems like he's still got that competitive edge to him.
Not really, Duchene has always been competitive.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Is Matty able to sign with another team in the SEL once his contract is up?

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Ceremony
like a collar

vCash: 24000
I'd feel happier about those comments if the coach hadn't said "The biggest problem is that not everyone is contributing. Duchene didn’t do that either. You have to do your own job well before you criticize others."

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I'd feel happier about those comments if the coach hadn't said "The biggest problem is that not everyone is contributing. Duchene didnít do that either. You have to do your own job well before you criticize others."
That and he sounds more passionate about Frolunda than he ever did about the Avalanche.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
I'd feel happier about those comments if the coach hadn't said "The biggest problem is that not everyone is contributing. Duchene didnít do that either. You have to do your own job well before you criticize others."
Sounds like the coach giving him a 'shot back', since Duchene called out the fact that players were NOT prepared to play...doesn't reflect well on the coach either.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:26 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
That and he sounds more passionate about Frolunda than he ever did about the Avalanche.
This guy?

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
I think he's pretty stoked to come back. All I see when he tweets the other players on the team is that he ends with can't wait to see you back in Denver or something like that.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:00 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Well its tough to produce if your other teammates aren't giving solid effort. An individual can put in good effort and create a bunch of good chances but if the teammates aren't finishing then its tough to produce.

I've seen plenty of nights in the NHL where individuals played great games when the team did not play well. They might not have figured on the scoresheet but it doesn't mean they didn't play well.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
This guy?

Isn't his team the Avs he grew up with and Sakic his favourite player?

11-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Ceremony
like a collar

vCash: 24000
I'd like to add that any questions about Duchene's commitment and passion for this team were quashed during the 2010-11 season for me.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:32 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post

He definitely was an Avs fan, but I think his favourite player was Crosby.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:27 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
You've got it right buddy.

That's why that .gif is quite popular here...it's used as a reminder of how much Duchene wants to be a member of the Avalanche...he was so happy to not be picked 1st overall!

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

He definitely was an Avs fan, but I think his favourite player was Crosby.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote