Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Roberto di Matteo sacked by Chelsea; Rafa Benitez hired

Old
11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

vCash: 500
Rafa was very good manager for us at times. LITN highlighted his strengths very well. I will only say that domestically, Liverpool played down to its opponent a lot. Not necessarily a problem limited to Rafa as Liverpool manager. He tinkered line-ups quite a bit. I really just take issue with his transfer window record. He hit some out of the park and took some huge whiffs. Unfortunately, H&G went down during tail end of his tenure. Part of me will never get past forcing Alonso out (who, to his credit, he also brought in) and bringing in an injured Aquilani as replacement. We had arguably, the best midfield in the world and it was needlessly dismantled, in my opinion.

EDIT: You don't dismantle a side that finished 2nd in the league and with the 2nd most points in the league in 16 years. You don't do that. You add. Don't subtract.

Last edited by nyranger61494: 11-21-2012 at 02:46 PM.
nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:46 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

One major positive, he might get something out of Torres. I don't think it'll happen though and he'll realize that pretty quickly. Torres isn't the same player, but maybe he gets through to all the Spanish players in the side and uses the squad like it should. He has the players, just put a team together. I hope he walks in and says "Luiz, Mikel...get the **** out."

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
He will find use in Mikel (and probably start him every match unless he prefers Romeu). Don't know about Luiz, but Chelsea will be very strong at the back, if Luiz isn't up for it he'll be on the bench.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Wow this is pretty ****** as a fan of Chelsea. I really liked RDM, and thought he was doing a great job given the circumstances.

I know Guardiola is worried about the track record, but I still think he's coming. Could I be wrong? Yeah. Likely? Yeah. But it would be awesome.

Can you guys tell me about Rafa Benitez?
Rafa Benitez is a decent manager that every Chelsea fan should hate. He's blasted the club before, blasted the club's fans, and once said "I would never take [the Chelsea] job in respect for my former team at Liverpool no matter what."

As a Chelsea fan, **** this ****.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Oh I didn't know that, haven't been following long enough. **** him then.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:34 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Rafa - "Drogba is a coward, a diver and a cheat"

Rafa - "Lampard is overrated"

Rafa - "Chelsea is a soulless club"

Rafa - "Liverpool fans do not need plastic flags to support their club. They show true passion. Chelsea fans are passionless"

Chelsea fans are going to chase him out of the club.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

All those quotes are made up. The quote earlier about not taking a job of one of Liverpool's rivals was prefaced by his stating that Chelsea were a big club with great fans btw. This is the only real derogatory thing he's said about Chelsea ever, and really, how isn't it true?

If people are going to make up quotes to slander him with, I hope the supporters there do run him out of Chelsea. He's a good man who takes jobs head on and cares about every club he manages, he's far too good for that kind of ****.

Anyway, I think if he stays in the job for more than just this season, that Chelsea fans will come to enjoy his war of words with Ferguson being resumed.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 11-21-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
am I the only one who's not really surprised? honestly, I mean it's not like I "saw it coming", but considering that there has been some rather bad results lately and its Chelski, I'm just not shocked...

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:45 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
chelsea fans are not happy

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:04 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Who knows how long Benitez can last but the simple reality is that Liverpool are a reputation killer of a club, practically no-one has gone in there the last 20 years and come out smelling better than he did before. And I don't just mean the stench of that city itself.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Caramel

vCash: 455
He was great at Valencia, hated him when he left :/

Caramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:03 AM
les Habs

I think sacking di Matteo at this point is pushing the panic button way too soon, but I can understand the decision to an extent. Chelsea are close to getting bounced from the CL and that alone for the defending champion not to mention a side that's invested as much as Chelsea has in the offseason is unacceptable. On top of that, if Abramovich doesn't think that di Matteo can lead the team to the Premiership title then now wouldn't be a bad time for a change. The team is also on a string of lacklustre results.

Of course I think it's pushing the panic button too soon. For starters the CL isn't lost yet and they're up against FC NordsjŠlland at the Bridge. They're also still in the Premiership race. On top of that di Matteo did take them on that CL run last season. January is right around the corner as well and they could always make a move.

Still one major question would be is di Matteo the right fit for the club and the current team in the longer term? I don't think so. What's puzzling to me though is that I don't think Benitez is either. I think Benitez is more underrated than he is overrated at the moment, but consider the best players Chelsea has right now and compare them to the sorts of players that Benitez brought into Liverpool. That being said I think Benitez can get some of the results Chelsea need, but he'll want to avoid another Inter situation and he'll need to win over the majority of the players.

I think Guardiola could do very well with this Chelsea side. The team needs reinforcements regardless of whether or not he'd come on board, but with some of the signings the club has made recently and the existing squad as a whole he'd have a lot to work with. Of course as has been said, I can't see him taking the job were if offered simply down to Abramovich's track record. Personally I'd hate to see him take the job as well.

Of course some good could come of this when it's all said and done. Barša could get Oscar some day.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:28 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

In a theoretical scenario where Benitez would get time to do the job (he's not going to even in a best case scenario), his strengths in the transfer market also fit Chelsea's needs the most. Hitman #9, central defender, and two central midfielders would serve Chelsea's needs the best at this point in time, and Rafa has history of buying quality in those positions. It is the wide positions where Chelsea already has players which Rafa has a hard time getting the right guys for, but he wouldn't need to. His 4-2-3-1 formation suits Chelsea's three main attacking midfielders pretty well actually.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:47 AM
les Habs

Yeah, but as regards the attacking players look at the types of players he used/brought in at Liverpool. Specifically I mean the players out wide. Riera was a very Benitez type player and quite different from the sort that Chelsea have right now.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:22 AM
GarretJoseph

If Chelsea don't do anything I say he gets let go at the end of the season. His only saving grace is if he turns Torres back into a 50 million pound player.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
chelsea fans are not happy
I just don't understand that. I can somewhat get people thinking that RdM deserved longer, but when he has been immediately replaced by a far superior coach, what is to be upset about?

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...il-Ashton.html

If Chelsea were an NFL team, Uncle Roman would be Jerry Jones.

The only stability this club has ever had was under Mourinho, and I'd be curious to see the stats if you take out his tenure. Surely there would be more than one manager fired per year? That job is nothing but a hiding to a payout, and I'd hate to see Guardiola touch it. If the article is correct though, and Rafa gets Torres back to his best, he may just secure the job long term (whatever that means).

I remember when Abramovich first took over the club, and sacked his first manager (Ranieri) because the football that was played wasn't attractive enough. Of course, he quickly forgot about that when he hired Mourinho but it's worth keeping in mind: if Roman likes attractive football, he's going to HATE Rafa's system. Rafa is a great cup manager, as evidenced by two CL final appearances by an average Liverpool squad, but I question whether he could find the consistency required to win a league title. Of course, if the CL is the objective, he may just be the right man for the job.

Osstrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Well if the Campions League is the objective, he's probably already too late

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
It was obviously personal. He wasn't ever supposed to be the permanent manager.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Kloparren
Hth

This is probably the most shocking of all the manager firings. Of course Di Matteo was a bit lucky to get hired full-time here and probably stayed longer than you'd expect but based on how well they were performing at the beginning of the season I'm surprised.

Every single one of these firings comes back to one thing......average defending from a club trying to be World Class. This isn't 2005 anymore, Terry's not a world class player and the old Chelsea defenders aren't there plus that damn RB position. Hopefully their entire transfer budget goes to CB's next yr, shame about no Hummels.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Pretend your Pep, which is more attractive: the City job or the Chelsea job?

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 05:09 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
The talent at Chelsea, the job security at Citeh, although I think Pep could be Mourinho like at chelsea, where his success guarantees his job security.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
The talent at Chelsea, the job security at Citeh, although I think Pep could be Mourinho like at chelsea, where his success guarantees his job security.
Yup. Waaay more talent at Chelsea than Citeh.

Osstrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
The United one.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:04 PM
BPR*

Curious to see how Benitez uses Mata/Oscar/Hazard. Have a hard time imagining the guy who loved Kuyt as a defensive winger is really going to play two central players on the wings and leave his fullbacks exposed. One solution would be to move Hazard to a false nine role, but I do expect Rafa to try and resurrect Torres for a while. Maybe put Oscar in a deeper role and use Ramires or Bertrand as more defensive wingers?

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote