HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 08:35 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
As opposed to certain Toronto fans, who saw their team draft him a little under half a year ago(with a great deal of that period of time being the off-season), but apparently know everything about him?
Hey, at least we have Bobby Mac backing us up. Alot of MSM guys were impressed by Rielly's play.

They have a better track record on these things than 99% of the people on here. Now if you're talking about the people who are making outlandish statements like Rielly being a #1 dman already, well, those people are always going to be in the picture when anything Toronto is being discussed ad nauseam.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
Hey, at least we have Bobby Mac backing us up. Alot of MSM guys were impressed by Rielly's play.

They have a better track record on these things than 99% of the people on here. Now if you're talking about the people who are making outlandish statements like Rielly being a #1 dman already, well, those people are always going to be in the picture when anything Toronto is being discussed ad nauseam.
McKenzie can be a victim of hype the same as anyone else. Still, it's not like anyone is saying Rielly isn't a terrific prospect. His draft position alone points to him being highly touted. I think he's living up to his draft position so far.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
McKenzie can be a victim of hype the same as anyone else. Still, it's not like anyone is saying Rielly isn't a terrific prospect. His draft position alone points to him being highly touted. I think he's living up to his draft position so far.
He has a better foundation to base his opinions on. Especially when he already knows about Rielly's strengths and weaknesses. Rielly must be that much more impressive when he impresses someone who already knows everything he can do.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
And I'm dying to hear how much you've watched of the other prospects in the draft not named Rielly and what you can tell us about them?

So you've barely (or never) seen him play at all, but yet your opinion is that Bobby Mac is drinkin the Rielly Koolaid?

Old
11-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
He has a better foundation to base his opinions on. Especially when he already knows about Rielly's strengths and weaknesses. Rielly must be that much more impressive when he impresses someone who already knows everything he can do.
So do other hockey analysts, Atomos, and all of them aren't drooling all over Rielly. I said it before, but I think McKenzie is just sensationalizing Rielly. A great prospect, but he's in the same class as, well, everyone else in the top 5.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
So you've barely (or never) seen him play at all, but yet your opinion is that Bobby Mac is drinkin the Rielly Koolaid?
Probably the only time he's seen Rielly was when Bobby Mac was talking about him during the draft

Old
11-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
As opposed to certain Toronto fans, who saw their team draft him a little under half a year ago(with a great deal of that period of time being the off-season), but apparently know everything about him?

You should at least make an attempt to look impartial...

Old
11-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
You should at least make an attempt to look impartial...
Because I'm not entitled to an opinion? I'm not allowed to think that Rielly is a great prospect, but he's being over-hyped? I'm not sure you understand what the word "impartial" means, if being impartial means I have to think he's the best thing since peanut butter and jelly.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
So do other hockey analysts, Atomos, and all of them aren't drooling all over Rielly. I said it before, but I think McKenzie is just sensationalizing Rielly. A great prospect, but he's in the same class as, well, everyone else in the top 5.
Didn't know Bobby Mac is drooling over Rielly. What accounts as drooling? Was it saying he was outstanding? Or was it saying he should be paired up with Hamilton because I see very little saliva in those statements. Hockey Analysts and the commentators who watch him all the time continuously say how great Rielly is. Yes he has faults but what he brings to the table must be great if he continues to receive praise by people who watch him, not just Toronto fans and Bob Mac.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Didn't know Bobby Mac is drooling over Rielly. What accounts as drooling? Was it saying he was outstanding? Or was it saying he should be paired up with Hamilton because I see very little saliva in those statements. Hockey Analysts and the commentators who watch him all the time continuously say how great Rielly is. Yes he has faults but what he brings to the table must be great if he continues to receive praise by people who watch him, not just Toronto fans and Bob Mac.
And yet, I bet if it were Hamilton, you'd be able to see the drooling.

Actually, being paired up with Hamilton seems logical. Big ice should be right in Rielly's realm. More room to do his thing, and HC will probably put together a different D pairing for shutdown purposes.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Because I'm not entitled to an opinion? I'm not allowed to think that Rielly is a great prospect, but he's being over-hyped? I'm not sure you understand what the word "impartial" means, if being impartial means I have to think he's the best thing since peanut butter and jelly.
How is he being over-hyped? The consensus upside from leaf fans seems to be a Letang/Keith type player, I don't think that's too unrealistic of an upside projection all things considered? Is that too much hype from Leaf fans? What exactly did Bobby Mac say that would mean he's bought into the hype?

Old
11-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
How is he being over-hyped? The consensus upside from leaf fans seems to be a Letang/Keith type player, I don't think that's too unrealistic of an upside projection all things considered? Is that too much hype from Leaf fans? What exactly did Bobby Mac say that would mean he's bought into the hype?
You mean like, when we were still in the off-season and some of the Toronto fans were saying that Rielly was surpassing the other defensemen in the draft? How is that over-hyping him indeed? Or during the Super Series when he'd pretty much touch the puck, and the announcer would gush all over the place. You still haven't answered my question though. How is saying I think he is being a bit over-hyped a lack of impartiality? I haven't seen a lot of negativity surrounding Rielly(really, almost nothing at all), except by those saying some of the attention is getting ridiculous... but for some reason that seems to be some grave insult.

Letang and Keith might be possible, but keep in mind that Keith is a Norris-winner, and Letang is one of the best young defensemen in the league. At the same time, how many scoffed when Brian Campbell was mentioned?

Old
11-21-2012, 09:31 PM
DPyro

Same rhetoric I've seen with all Leafs prospects. Because he was drafted by Toronto he must be over rated.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:54 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
You mean like, when we were still in the off-season and some of the Toronto fans were saying that Rielly was surpassing the other defensemen in the draft? How is that over-hyping him indeed? Or during the Super Series when he'd pretty much touch the puck, and the announcer would gush all over the place. You still haven't answered my question though. How is saying I think he is being a bit over-hyped a lack of impartiality? I haven't seen a lot of negativity surrounding Rielly(really, almost nothing at all), except by those saying some of the attention is getting ridiculous... but for some reason that seems to be some grave insult.

Letang and Keith might be possible, but keep in mind that Keith is a Norris-winner, and Letang is one of the best young defensemen in the league. At the same time, how many scoffed when Brian Campbell was mentioned?
If some Leafs fans were over hyping Rielly how is that any different then the Bruins fans who call Dougie Hamilton a future franchise Defensman and possible Norris Trohpy winner. Forgetting about the fact that Hamilton was selected in 2011 and Rielly was selected in 2012, shouldn't we judge either of them until we can see what they can do at the NHL level?

Old
11-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:

Because you, and Koolaid man, have not been able to back up your claim that he is over-hyped. You have spewed some rhetoric, but hardly anything proving that he is over-hyped. You know that there are a lot of Leaf fans out there, that means you will get a lot of opinions. You are calling it hype that "some of the Toronto fans" think that Rielly is better than Murray and Rienhart after their first time really seing all 3? You know there was/is very little seperation between those prospects, it is not outlandish of an opinion for some Leaf fans to like Rielly better than those two. Personally, I have no idea which one will be the best...I'd feel safe to say that I think Rielly will put up the most points but I have no clue which one will be the best.

Then you go on to say "Or during the Super Series when he'd pretty much touch the puck, and the announcer would gush all over the place." That is a hockey analyst offering an expert opinion, chances are a guy who's seen more live hockey than we have...so I call that an analyst's opinion but when it is a Leaf prospect the haters automatically call it hype.

I did use "upside" disclaimer tag next to Letang/Keith so not such a bold statement. Keith was a Norris winner but not exactly a perenial type either...

Old
11-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
And yet, I bet if it were Hamilton, you'd be able to see the drooling.

Actually, being paired up with Hamilton seems logical. Big ice should be right in Rielly's realm. More room to do his thing, and HC will probably put together a different D pairing for shutdown purposes.
Nice deflection bringing in Hamilton. No I don't see drooling either. I'm saying that Mac was impressed by Rielly cuz the kid kinda stands out. It's hard not to notice him when he really gets going, thats why he catches everyones attention.

The Hamilton-Rielly Harrington-Ouellete pairing could be similar to the Alzner-Doughty Hickey-Schenn pairing in '08 where Hickey and Schenn were assigned to be shutdown defenders (Harrington-Ouellet) and Alzner-Doughty were assigned to be top line scoring threats (Rielly-Hamilton) [Although I am aware Alzner wasn't much of a scoring threat]

Old
11-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

BTW what exactly did Bobby Mac say that equals overhyping or drinking koolaid?

Old
11-21-2012, 11:26 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
BTW what exactly did Bobby Mac say that equals overhyping or drinking koolaid?
I think Bob said Morgan's skating ability reminded him of Coffey's, that's overhyping/sensationalizing according to Sojourn (who's apparently an expert after 2 WHL-RUS games).

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...id=13906&id=59

Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 11-21-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 11:47 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

For any Leafs fan checking the stat sheets in the last week or so and are concerned about Rielly's lack of output recently, rest assured he looks every bit as dangerous as he usually goes.

MJ is having some issues finishing right now. Less than 2 goals in 4 of their last 5 games (all 4 games losses).

Old
11-21-2012, 11:52 PM
leftwinghockey

For the record, us Leafs fans get a hard time around here because we repeatedly offer trade proposals such as;

Bozak, Komisarek, Lombardi and a 2nd for Duchene and thus try to explain strange reasons why Duchene's value is low

Old
11-22-2012, 03:26 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Alright everyone, knock it off.

This is not the stage to analyze the Leafs fandom or non-Leaf fandom. Hijacking the thread to make statements about what Rielly or observations of him mean to Leaf fans or non-fans, or how they reflect on Leaf fans or non-fans.

This is not the place to launch personal attacks, to snipe and bicker with other members. If you have a problem with someone, pick apart their post on its merits without resorting to attacks.

and this is not the place to talk about the wider implications of prospect analysis, Leafs prospects or otherwise. It's the Morgan Rielly thread. Discussion should extend as far as talking about Rielly, and no farther.

keep it on topic and respectful or your posts may be removed from the thread. Or you may be removed from the thread.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 23 GP, 9-10-4 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-22-2012, 04:43 AM
Gavy

I honestly think people think Leaf fansaren't allowed to get excited over one of their players. It's like they get mad because of it

Old
11-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Had Rielly not blown a knee in his draft year, I am fairly certain he would have gone considerably higher than 5th. I think he was a steal at 5th, personally.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:00 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Alright everyone, knock it off.

This is not the stage to analyze the Leafs fandom or non-Leaf fandom. Hijacking the thread to make statements about what Rielly or observations of him mean to Leaf fans or non-fans, or how they reflect on Leaf fans or non-fans.

This is not the place to launch personal attacks, to snipe and bicker with other members. If you have a problem with someone, pick apart their post on its merits without resorting to attacks.

and this is not the place to talk about the wider implications of prospect analysis, Leafs prospects or otherwise. It's the Morgan Rielly thread. Discussion should extend as far as talking about Rielly, and no farther.

keep it on topic and respectful or your posts may be removed from the thread. Or you may be removed from the thread.
I agree with everything but the bold. That's exactly what this thread is for. It includes Rielly, is tied to Rielly and his future, so why can't it be talked about?

Old
11-22-2012, 10:02 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
I honestly think people think Leaf fansaren't allowed to get excited over one of their players. It's like they get mad because of it
You guys gotta get over yourselves. This has less to do with him being a Leafs prospect, more to do with having his name always being thrown out in everybodys faces with comparisons to Paul Coffey etc. The same thing happened to the Habs when they drafted Carey Price and he had just won the Calder Cup (MVP) as a 19 year. When you have a great prospect, don't expect 100% people to bow down to him.

Back to the subject at hand. From the times i've seen Rielly, he really reminds me of a Brian Campbell/ Duncan Keith style d-man. Before people start getting all annoyed by the Campbell comparison, think of a more complete Brian Campbell than what you see right now. I think he even had Brian Leetch upside which would be fantastic. Just love the way he skates the puck down the ice. Very intelligent player with great instincts.

Closed Thread