HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 12:40 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
Honestly, the Memorial Cup talk was/is great and all but I just want to see us relevant as well and competing for a title year in and year out like London.

With regards to players on this team, there should be quite a few changes and I would prefer to go younger/build with some of what we have.

Vail, Rychel, DeKort, Sanvido, Verbeek, Ho Sang, Seiloff are the only guys who shouldn't be moved in my opinion.

Anyone else, especially Bowen, McNaughton, Studnicka ,who should be moved for any picks at all could/should be expendable.

One of our issues IMO is size. We aren't very big/physical.
Spits ave ht= 6'1/2"
ave wt= 195 lbs
While not big,not small either,as for being not very physical the OHL does not like physical play

Old
11-21-2012, 01:44 PM
SpItFiReZ

Im talking more in a grinding sense. We don't really grind teams down and make them work for it like a Plymouth type. Plymouth while not always having stars can grind the hell out of teams and break them down.

Size wise....Bilcke, Maletta, Dekort, Pavelka, Schoenmakers, Bowen and Sanvido are the only guys 6'2"+.

So basically a healthy scratch, our goalies, a 4th liner. Leaving us with Sanvido and Schoenmakers and Maletta as our only guys with size past 6'2" actually playing. 2010 we had Kassian, Neimsz, Fowler, Young, Passingham and Cantin all 6'2". Not a huge team but these guys were big time players with size/speed (except Young who was slow).

I would love another Seiloff or two on defense and two forwards with his type of agressiveness/body play but they are difficult to come by.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:27 PM
hockeyboy4

wilson hit savidno, he looked a bit hurt, then wilson turns around says a couple words, savidno cross checks him in the face, i wonder how long he will be out for

Old
11-21-2012, 08:31 PM
RayzorIsDull

Whalers win 3-0, Spits give up 50+ shots again to Plymouth, Spits shutout in 2 straight games, nothing to see here.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:34 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Whalers win 3-0, Spits give up 50+ shots again to Plymouth, Spits shutout in 2 straight games, nothing to see here.
Noticed Barrie who scored 6 against Windsor Sat,gets shutout 1-0 vs Owen Sd,the Attacks 3rd straight shutout,now I dont feel so bad,at least Barrie did not lose on a penalty shot
Spits 2nd straight shutout loss after scoring 11 goals in the previous 2
Road woes continue to dog this team
Real good at home,terrible on the road
Spits are 5-7-1-1 in their last 14
games 10 of which have been on the road,my guess is if the schedule was reversed,so would the 2-7-1-0 record on the road in the last 10,it is what it is,so to say

Old
11-21-2012, 09:54 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
After finding out a number of players were suffering from flu symptoms I dont feel so bad
Wondered why after a good 1st period outshooting Whale 14-13 only able to muster 12 shots the rest of the way,though 7 whaler pps helped I suppose
Info gleaned from the live chat re Windsor star

Old
11-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Spitsfan67*

Does anyone know what Warren is seeing in this team? Honestly what in the heck is he watching it can't be the same games us fans are. where 1/3 thru the season and a trade should have been done 3 weeks ago ATLEAST, because I'm pretty sure you can tell where this squad will finish the season in a strong Western conference(6-9)...this team is Pathetic offensively I mean it's really a 3 or 4 man offense and then the odd time someone else will chip in, and defensively were Sketchy IMO, are only strong point is goaltending and without Pavelka I honestly think this team would be challenging for last place with Erie. Warren needs to get his damn hands out of his pockets and start making stuff happen or this team is going no where this team is about next year, I say get out the dissapointments , send out Meletta, Johnson, M. Clarke, Bateman, Devlin, Studnicka, and get as much as you can for Posa. But it won't happen Rychel probably hasent even looked into it yet, and If he does do a trade it will be a minor trade that will do absolutely nothing dramatic to this roster, which is what we need get a great 94/95 Playmaker in here to feed Kerby the puck. along with getting a stud on the blue line that will be here next year that is what would make this team a lot better IMO at least.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:27 PM
OHLTG

The Spits were in trouble early, as they couldn't get the puck out of their own zone, and Plymouth capitalized on some really good bounces. When the Spits managed to get their game legs, Mahalak stood his ground. Plymouth then turned it up a notch, forcing Windsor to take some stupid penalties, and that's all she wrote. 3-0 final.

Positives:

- Pavelka with 49 saves. How he wasn't a star, I don't know. I said at the game "watch, he won't get it", and he didn't, but he deserved it.

- Schoenmakers trying to fire up his team after it was 1-0 Plymouth. Not a bad tilt with Payne at center ice.

- A good Windsor PK. They were on the PK for much of the third and didn't allow a whole lot.

Negatives:

- Offence. Enough said.

- Stupid penalties. This idea that we can get anyone to fight no matter what's going on has to stop. Rychel gets a double minor for roughing in one situation, while Sanvido gets a match penalty and a game misconduct in another. We have to be smarter out there.

- Did I mention offence?

The team has no chemistry out there. Either they're not buying into the systems or they're just not trusting one another. It's hard to figure out.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Ottomatic

Maybe they're no chemistry because Boughner juggles the lines seemingly shift to shift now.

The holes in this team were glaringly apparent in the off-season and were never addressed (outside of drafting Ho-Sang) and that was total lack of offensive creativity. We have a bunch of lunch bucket dump, chase and cycle for ever behind the net types. Rychel drafts Ho-Sang, but then goes Sanvido, Brown and Verbeek - two defencemen (one a classic stay-at-home type) and a grinder forward.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:47 PM
OHLTG

Completely agreed and that crossed my mind at the game. We've got a ton of guys who will muck it out, but nobody to really create stuff in the O-zone. We have Ho-Sang, but he's trying to be the man, and he's still just a boy.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Spits67 it's funny you mention Ben Johnson because I kid you not Mike Miller did not say his name once all evening. I think Warren is stuck right now, he has no 1st rounder in 13 he wants this group to be successful so they will not end up giving away what could be a top 6-8 pick but judging the team on the ice you probably have a 7th or 8th seed. The players you speak of carry very little value the thing is if you deal these guys I doubt they end up burning you in the end. It's pretty much shuffling deck chairs on the titanic at this moment. Rychel's only hope is to sell out and put a fullcourt press for Butcher, Allen and Schmaltz it literally is down to bring in those 2 top forwards wanting to commit to a franchise that has suffered sanctions and will have a cloud of suspicion over them if they choose to make the jump.

I don't think they can win this division they haven't been that close to Plymouth and still have 6 games left with them, you figure if Plymouth even wins 4 out of those 6 they will have gained 4 more points on Windsor. Their play on the road has to get better, if they continue to play like this there won't be any playoffs to speak of.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:37 AM
hockeylegend11

Rayzor

You are right road record has to improve alot,while they have played the 2nd most rd games in the league,Sag the most,their home record reg loss of 2 is tied for 2nd best in the league,Kitch,Barrie and Miss only have 1 reg loss at home,Plymouth also has only 2 reg losses at home
The 4 shootout losses and the crummy road record puts Windsor where they are at,no hiding those factors,if the Spits were even 500 on the road,and had won 2 out of 4 shootout losses,they would be 1st in the Div,2nd or 3rd in conf
Sarnia would be in similar position if they had a better home record,only have 9 pts at home,Wds"s 15 is best in the div,their 8 pts on the road 2nd worst in the conference,Erie has 5
What is even more confounding is goal differential,on the road its -20 re GF/GA, at home its +4
Their goal differential on the road is the worst in the league,yes even worse then Erie,Peterborough,Ottawa and Sudbury,disappointing to say the least

Old
11-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Sec108

I agree with some much being said here.

If the spits on the whole had as much heart as Schoenmakers we would have a better team.Only decent pickup by WR this yr.

dont want to beat a deadhorse on this but Pav and De kort are solid for future only bright spots.

Not much to trade other than maybe Posa for his cup exp. and Ben Johnson and maletta/bateman imo.who wants the rest???

Bring up aft holidays Brown and Verbeek give them ice for next yr.

Hope the ncaa kids come

Forget 14 cup bid.Rebuild again for next 2 yrs.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Petes96

move to Petes land and see how we're feeling

Old
11-22-2012, 07:18 PM
NHL Fanatic

Petes trade Trevor Murphy, Zach Lorentz & a 6th round pick in 2013 to Windsor for Brandon Devlin, & Derek Schoenmakers

Old
11-22-2012, 07:21 PM
OHLTG

Edit: It has been reported on Twitter by two sources (one being very reliable).

Old
11-22-2012, 07:27 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Petes trade Trevor Murphy, Zach Lorentz & a 6th round pick in 2013 to Windsor for Brandon Devlin, & Derek Schoenmakers
Interesting deal,looks like an eye towards next yr,Murphy is a year younger then Devlin and he comes back home,while Lorentz who had 19 goals last yr is a year younger then Schoenmakers and has O/A possibilities,as well Spits did not have a 6th rd pick for the draft

Old
11-22-2012, 07:29 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Edit: It has been reported on Twitter by two sources (one being very reliable).
Spits twitter handle has just confirmed it, if you are looking for confirmation.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:37 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Spits twitter handle has just confirmed it, if you are looking for confirmation.
Yep, it all kind of just got confirmed at once by the Spits and Petes. Thanks for posting it!!

Old
NHL Fanatic

If I'm not mistaken Murphy may be the only high school player dealt so far this season. He must be excited to be heading home on the other hand and get a fresh start. As per Jim Parker Spits will be sending a 6th rounder in '14 to Peterborough.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 11-22-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old
hockeyboy4

i think trevor will drop the gloves tommorow night

Old
11-22-2012, 07:39 PM
hockeylegend11

Hey I got part of a deal right suggested Murphy for Bateman,instead of Devlin

Old
11-22-2012, 07:42 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken Murphy may be the only high school player dealt so far this season. He must be excited to be heading home on the other hand and get a fresh start.
With Murphy,Spits now have 8 players who go to high school fulltime,excluding Graeham Brown which makes 9 all at St Anne's
Can anybody name them-PS
I know them just a little trivia

Old
11-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Who cares Shoenmaker>>>>>>Lorentz, who really cares that hes a year younger, and Murphy I think he has potential but is nothing spectacular at all and IMO not a huge upgrade, only thing warren did was get smaller and moved one guy that played with heart and emotion something that a lot of players on this team don't do, does this help our needs? Not one bit that's for sure... I hope this is a build up to a big trade that actually does something to this team, or this is really just a slap in the face from WR, I mean who cares about Lorentz 19 goals last year, Shoe had 50 points and this year shoe had 9 goals and 4 assist AND He has grit, Lorentz is one small, two has only 5 goals and 6 assist and three ident tough, so IMO we lost this trade because it doesn't help are needs Murphy is going to get Devlin spot as a 6/7 defenseman and he only has 4 points and lets add very small, and we lose fire power and now were less tough in a very strong west so good good Warren give yourself a pat on the back.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:47 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
With Murphy,Spits now have 8 players who go to high school fulltime,excluding Graeham Brown which makes 9 all at St Anne's
Can anybody name them-PS
I know them just a little trivia
DeKort, Sanvido, Ho-Sang, Murphy, Studnicka, Rychel, Verbeek, Maletta...and Brown?

Closed Thread