HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout in NY, BOS, PHI, CHI, and DET

Old
11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
4ORRBRUIN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
That's exactly why I don't buy the Bruins fans talking about how the Celtics aren't covered but their hockey team is dearly missed.

I've read Boston.com and ESPN Boston and the Bruins are rarely mentioned. In 2004 nobody seemed to notice. Some of their fans here are really in the bubble and so jealous of the Celtics they will skew and project their take as Bruins fans onto the market at large.

This thread was mainly about traditionally big, popular, 4 sport markets and it appears all of them don't care much and are doing just swell.
And why would that be ? Like most hockey fans in Boston could give 10 craps about the Celtics, They could move out of town for all I care in fact it makes my day when I hear they lost.

Last edited by 4ORRBRUIN: 11-20-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: jjj
4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:57 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

The only coverage I see in NYC is Larry Brooks/The Post in general.

Know a couple bar owners and they're peeved, though.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81ragnaH View Post
Things were a universe different than what they are today in Boston back in 2004. Back then, the Bruins were nothing to this city, aside from the diehard fans. People had grown jaded to them. Jacobs was in his worst phase of ownership, people saw him as this cheap old miser. The team was led by what many saw was a heartless, go nowhere player. To many, the final straw was watching Ray Bourque request a trade to win elsewhere, after that most people gave up. So long as Jacobs was there nothing would change. But, Jacobs changed after the last lockout when he got his cost certainty. He spent to the cap year after year. They brought in players who worked hard, and a GM who works hard and cares about results, not $. And the fans came flocking back. This pinnacled in 2011 but started back in 2007 when they became a playoff team again and many who had left saw that the team management had changed. Gone were the days of Samsonov holdouts, and instead we saw the team get investigated for possibly cap circumvention for crying out loud. This team is as popular as they have been in my life, at least since my young childhood. You seem hell bent on ignoring the fact that people care now, but Rich Shertenlieb said himself on the radio today (during a lockout discussion, 98.5 The Sports Hub Toucher and Rich Show, sometime in the 730-745 time spot) that, "the Bruins and Celtics right now are neck and neck in popularity." Take that anyway you want, but you seem to be earmuffing all of these facts.

It's not that the Celtics aren't covered, they definitely are. But you seem to think it absurd that there is outcry here over the lockout, and let me assure you there is. If you don't believe me, spend a week here and find out for yourself.
I don't believe it is a big deal and the city is down over it as you say. Why?

Because in Montreal it is not that bad.
Because why is Boston any different than NY, PHI, CHI, and DET which have barely noticed?

We are talking about the market and casual fan, not the diehard fans on daysorr. 98.5 talking objectively is like FOXNEWS talking objectively.

Unlike other cities I will say Bruins fans hate the NBA and basketball far more than any other place. To me, that shows their insecurity.

[QUOUTE=4ORRBRUIN;55922457]And why would that be ? Like most hockey fans in Boston could give 10 craps about the Celtics, They could move out of town for all I care in fact it makes my day when I hear they lost.[/QUOTE][/U]

The funny thing is Celtic fans, don't mind the Bruins winning, nor do casual Bruins fans have a problem with the C's...but the Bruins fan here and several others have this huge inferiority complex to the Celtics, which to me says it all.

Jax1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

There is this one guy I always run into on the elevator in morning who is a big Rangers fan.
Typically this time of year we would be sniping at each other, but now we just give each other depressed looks and sigh.
Other than that, nobody cares anymore, and I dont really blame them. I mean, at a certain point what is there to talk about, much less care about?

On a related note, Filip Bondy says the Lockout will be over in no time.

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

Montreal is a sad place for sport at the moment, and the NHL lockout is the #1 culprit for this. The lockout itself doesn't really get this much attention (I'd say what Tinalera said about the Maple Leafs would be accurate about the Habs in Montreal aswell), people were mostly focused on the Impact's first year in the MLS and the local CFL team, the Alouettes.

However now that both the Impact missed the playoffs and the Alouettes had a pathetic showing in the CFL semifinals, the lack of hockey is really starting to take its toll. Our local sport networks are replacing hockey games by historical games (Canada Cup) and other sports of variable insignificance (table football are you kidding me).

I need my Habs to make it through the long and cold winter, but now that they're gone again, there's really no reason for me to tune in to any kind of sport network - and I know a number of other people are feeling the same (albeit not everyone). It's mostly just depressing more than anything. Watching the game with friends and familiy is one of the most popular winter activities for the people I hang out with, but it seems we won't be having any of that.

It's just sad, really .

Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
81ragnaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
I don't believe it is a big deal and the city is down over it as you say. Why?

Because in Montreal it is not that bad.
Because why is Boston any different than NY, PHI, CHI, and DET which have barely noticed?

We are talking about the market and casual fan, not the diehard fans on daysorr. 98.5 talking objectively is like FOXNEWS talking objectively.

Unlike other cities I will say Bruins fans hate the NBA and basketball far more than any other place. To me, that shows their insecurity.
It has nothing to do with what you believe, facts are facts man. We care, and it's not just the diehards. I've already told you that Comcast Sports Network, the rights holder and exclusive broadcaster of the Boston Celtics, has daily updates on the NHL lockout. That's not the hardcores, that's the every-sports-fan. I'm sorry if other markets don't talk about it, we do and that's a fact, not an opinion. I mean, what do you want, riots in the streets over this? People aren't exactly jumping off bridges, but they sure don't like the situation we are in and they're voicing their opinions on it, on the radio during the middle of a football segment. That means we care, we aren't indifferent.

As for basketball insecurities, I'm not really sure what to tell you. I know some people who hate the NBA, but I know a whole lot more who like it. What I do know, as a sports fan who has lived here his whole life, is that both teams are equal in popularity around here right now. I know that from the people I know and encounter every day. I know that from the shirts and hats I see on people on the streets and in the shopping malls. You can take it or leave it, but as I said, facts are facts.

81ragnaH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

In Boston, I see a ton of knowledge about it, and it is talked about alot on sports radio, and local media. The Celtics do get coverage here, and their rights holder (CSNNE) has a ton of coverage of the lockout. People care here, and when I wear my Bruins stuff, people usually go up to me and ask me when I think the lockout will end, and having discussions with me about the CBA negotations. I still believe the Celtics are more popular than the Bruins in Boston right now (last year the Bruins were ahead of the Celtics), but claiming that Boston doesnt care about the lockout because other cities dont, and because of in the 2004 lockout there wasnt a big "uproar" about it means we don't care now is just unfair. It's 2012, not 2004.

Quote:
lol what is this supposed to mean? A SPORTS TALK RADIO station can't talk about the NHL without "talking about it objectively?", or comparing it to FOX News or MSNBC? Seriously?...

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:24 PM
TorontoSports

The Jays are dominating here! I, sadly, listen to a lot of sports radio through out the day and when someone (usually older people) compare the Jays to the maple leafs through a reference the radio host or next caller would take a shot at the leafs or nhl. I really dont see the same anger and impatience as I saw at the 05-06 lock out. A lot of people seemed to have moved on.

I honestly believe this time that the NHL will come to half empty buildings... especially if they cancel the whole season/

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
The Jays are dominating here! I, sadly, listen to a lot of sports radio...
... interesting. Are the Jays making a run of sorts, distracting the general population, taking their minds off of the Leafs absence? Much the same out here in Vancouver really. Very little talk about it in bars/restaurants in the city proper, and when there is, its generally pro-player & pro Aquilini/Canucks. Like were just innocent victims of some horrible accident that happened thousands of miles away that stopped the planes from landing out at YVR. All kinds of other things to occupy ones time & attention with. Commentary on radio has been vitriolic, most of it aimed at Gary Bettman & the NHL, very little towards the players, the Canucks organization & ownership given a complete bye.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote