HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Good luck with that. I am not going to boycott anything, never mind hockey. I have not be harmed in any way and I will wait patiently for the games to come back on.
Personally, I only boycott things that harm me.

And that's what I don't eat Pizza Hut.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:14 AM
EDM

Without getting into issues related to boycotts, etc., at this point I would prefer they cancel the whole season. I really do not want to spend money on some kind of half arsed "semi-season" virtually the sole purpose for which would be to allow the various clowns who caused the problem to recoup some of their losses. It is kind of unbelieveable to see the damage this league has done to itself. Bettman is a disgrace.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:14 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Without getting into issues related to boycotts, etc., at this point I would prefer they cancel the whole season. I really do not want to spend money on some kind of half arsed "semi-season" virtually the sole purpose for which would be to allow the various clowns who caused the problem to recoup some of their losses. It is kind of unbelieveable to see the damage this league has done to itself. Bettman is a disgrace.

I agree with much of the sentiment, but if they're back, so am I. I enjoy NHL hockey and I am willing to pay to do it. I'm angry at the stupidity abounding, but I'm not going to spite myself by boycotting their return. I miss the game now and it's their fault. If I stay away when they return, I'll miss it and it'll by my fault. And nobody will be hurt by that but me.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:19 AM
BluejacketNut

I'll watch it, but no way i'm going to be spending money on the product. My only money going towards it is the bulk purchase in which I pay to get the sports package for the NHL Network, which includes the other sports networks (including the NFL Redzone, which I must admit, for a fantasy sports junkie, IS AWESOME!)

Old
11-19-2012, 12:23 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Greg Wyshynski, Puck Daddy, on the recent Bettman interview with a Winnipeg reporter:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Last edited by pete goegan: 11-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Kris Versteeg from earlier.

Quote:
You do try to look at the best-case scenarios moving forward once the CBA does get done, and you gotta look for the cancers and you gotta cut out the cancers and I think that when you look at Bill Daly and Bettman, they've been looting this game for far too long.
Is anyone out there hiring? I'd like to get a raise up to $3,600,000 a year (which would be 1% of what Versteeg is making this year) so that I can feel what it's like to be "looted". Hell, I'll take a raise up to 1% of that ($36,000) and see how I feel.

I think what we really need to do is take up a collection for poor Kris Versteeg. A couple weeks ago, I had to fill up my gas tank only halfway so that I'd be able to still pay a bill. I'm thankful that I don't have it as bad as poor Kris Versteeg; he must have it really bad.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I agree with most of what you said, and I would love to see the season cancelled, so that both sides bleed

Old
11-19-2012, 09:22 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 0
I would also love to see a cancellation of the season followed by the dropping of several major corporate sponsors.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:59 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Is anyone out there hiring? I'd like to get a raise up to $3,600,000 a year (which would be 1% of what Versteeg is making this year) so that I can feel what it's like to be "looted". Hell, I'll take a raise up to 1% of that ($36,000) and see how I feel.

I think what we really need to do is take up a collection for poor Kris Versteeg. A couple weeks ago, I had to fill up my gas tank only halfway so that I'd be able to still pay a bill. I'm thankful that I don't have it as bad as poor Kris Versteeg; he must have it really bad.
I think I missed the translation from what you quoted to the conclusions you drew.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I think I missed the translation from what you quoted to the conclusions you drew.
Since 2005, player salaries have surged, both on an across-the-board scale and also on an individual scale. The price of a second-pairing defenseman has gone from around $2 million to close to $4 million, and the price of third-line players has skyrocketed as well. The league average salary has gone from about $1.5 million to $2.4 million.

If that's Kris Versteeg's idea of "looting" on the part of the NHL, then I can't imagine how awful it must be to be looted in such a manner.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:40 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Since 2005, player salaries have surged, both on an across-the-board scale and also on an individual scale. The price of a second-pairing defenseman has gone from around $2 million to close to $4 million, and the price of third-line players has skyrocketed as well. The league average salary has gone from about $1.5 million to $2.4 million.
I am aware of the increase in average salaries.

Quote:
If that's Kris Versteeg's idea of "looting" on the part of the NHL, then I can't imagine how awful it must be to be looted in such a manner.
I have no idea what Versteeg's comments have to do with him, personally or the players, being "looted" by Daly and/or Bettman. His comments are too vague. I don't even know what he is implying. With the little I saw, I think we're drawing conclusions that may or may not be accurate.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:01 PM
RDriesenUD

Good news

NHLPA Makes A Move

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...es-a-move.html

Old
11-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Bad news:

It didn't matter.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409972

Old
11-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

A snippet from that article:

Quote:
Meanwhile, the NHL is expected to cancel the 2013 All Star Game in Columbus on Friday.

More to follow.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
A snippet from that article:
Yeah for my upcoming $400 refund!!!!!!!!

Old
11-21-2012, 04:30 PM
BluejacketNut

Its over folks, this thing isnt getting done this year. The NHL already told them their best offer was off the table and it was only going to get worse.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:03 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

I'm in agreement, there won't be NHL hockey in 2012-13. I suspect they cancel up to Dec 14th on Friday, followed by the season in less then a month.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:01 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Bad news:

It didn't matter.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409972
IMO, it did. The NHLPA finally made a full offer (I think this might be their first one) and one that at least has a few things the NHL wants. I don't think anyone thought the NHL would say yes to this. The key is they finally made an offer and the 2 sides can work off of it.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:35 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
The key is they finally made an offer and the 2 sides can work off of it.
There is no indication that the NHL wants to negotiate off of this or any other NHLPA offer. It seems fairly clear to me that NHL position is take it or leave it, and some hints that owners such as Jacobs wants to take their existing best offer off the table and offer less.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:08 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I'll reserve judgement until the NHL responds to that offer. I feel the players overreacted to the owners reaction to their proposal.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I'll reserve judgement until the NHL responds to that offer. I feel the players overreacted to the owners reaction to their proposal.
It's possible.

TSN shared the players union memo:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409992

...really to me, it doesn't seem all that unreasonable. The method of holding the players at gunpoint has to come to an end - in any negotiation, in any facet of life, the theory of "agree to our terms or nothing at all" doesn't typically work. It's for this reason that I'm definitely against the owners - maybe not for the players - but I will not side with the owners on this. The fact that they proposed something a month ago that the players union is now pretty much ready to agree to, but have removed it from the table, effectively punishing them for prolonging it, is downright petty and childish.

For this method of negotiating, I think Gary Bettman has to be on the chopping block. Three lockouts in the last 17 years is preposterous, and holding the league hostage to get what a handful of the owners are pressing for is killing the sport. The league is not only pushing away the casual fans anymore, it's alienating the hardcore, die-hard fans. For the first time in my life, I'm embarrassed to talk about the NHL, and I truly fear for the future of the game that we love.

I'd post what I said to the folks at CBC about Gary Bettman, but I'd probably get banned from the boards for doing so

Old
11-22-2012, 07:58 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I'll reserve judgement until the NHL responds to that offer.
From the Dispatch...
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ed-friday.html
Quote:
The NHL Players’ Association has made the last two proposals in collective-bargaining talks with the NHL.
And this quote from Bettman...
Quote:
“Any expectation that our offer is going to get better as time goes by is not realistic.”
I'm not expecting any response because I dont believe the NHL is engaged in negotiations. It appears their last offer was a take it or leave it, which leaves 2 options for the NHLPA. Accept the deal, or decertify and pursue an antitrust lawsuit in the courts.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:40 AM
EDM

I hate the owners. They are not looking for a deal. This is union busting pure and simple. It is ever possible for the super-rich to conduct themselves in a non-abusive manner towards the rest of the world?

Old
11-22-2012, 09:59 AM
BluejacketNut

I hate both side right now. Where was this offer from the NHLPA 2 months ago? Theyre just as guilty as the owners, and getting Fehr was like getting salt to pour into a wound

Old
11-22-2012, 10:09 AM
alphafox

I just can't understand how the the players didn't see this coming. When they appointed Don Fehr as their union rep, a man who has caused six work stoppages already in his career including five straight as head of the MLBPA, they sent a message to the owners that they weren't willing to negotiate off of a position that is clearly untenable for the owners of the teams.

To use a terrible analogy its like bringing a gun to peace talks. By hiring Fehr the players told the owners that they weren't willing to make concessions, and so the Owners saw no point in taking a position in the middle. As has been repeatedly stated these evil, greedy owners hold the power and have the ability to break the unions. The owners they understand the growing the game is in their best interest only if they can make money, the NHL is a business first and foremost afterall. In the long run, the owners don't make most of their money from the team and so aren't being truly squeezed by the lockout, they can afford to outlast the players who can't hold out nearly as long. The NHLPA have forced this lockout by making unrealistic demands on the % of revenue which the owners could not as businessmen accept, and as a result are going to end up being broken. You can see it in this latest rounds of negotioation, the NHLPA have already started to crumble by agreeing to the League's economic framework, and the owners will start to push for more concessions as pressure mounts on the players.

Last edited by alphafox: 11-22-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Closed Thread