HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 01:24 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
First bolded point, I'd also say that 2nd goal came to a really poor back check from MacDavid, he was right there, just didn't do anything.

2nd point - Morgan Rielly seems to be able to do exactly what Murphy does.

It'll be a joke if Murphy is there IMO.
Rielly is similar, but he doesn't have Murphy's shot, and IMO doesn't have the same freewheeling instincts in the neutral zone. Murphy is one of the better puck movers I've seen just because he has a great combination of speed and agility coming through the neutral zone.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I have a feeling you're right. I hopes it lasts until January.
Well, it looks as though the idiots at the NHL didn't come to their senses as I thought they would..... junior team still in tack for now.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I'm one of Murphy's biggest supporters, but he was terrible defensively in the Guelph game. He led directly to the winning goal being scored, and his pairing was on the ice for the tying goal as well (although it was more Koekkoek's fault).

Murphy will be on the team due to Spott being his coach and no one else having the same kind of skillset as him
I blame Binnington more on that goal. It wasn't exactly a blatant turnover, nor a good scoring chance. Binnington just whiffed on it, and Murphy got back anyway. These type of turnovers happen every game, harmless, usually lead to dump ins.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:42 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I blame Binnington more on that goal. It wasn't exactly a blatant turnover, nor a good scoring chance. Binnington just whiffed on it, and Murphy got back anyway. These type of turnovers happen every game, harmless, usually lead to dump ins.
It wasn't the turnover, it was letting him just walk around him very unmolested. Oh well, it doesn't really matter at this point, he still has a very good chance of making the team

Old
11-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Rielly is similar, but he doesn't have Murphy's shot, and IMO doesn't have the same freewheeling instincts in the neutral zone. Murphy is one of the better puck movers I've seen just because he has a great combination of speed and agility coming through the neutral zone.
Rielly has similar speed and agility but uses it differently. He has a higher hockey IQ than Murphy too, so he knows when to pass it off and when to skate it up at the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Maybe so, but those two goals in that short amount of time was reminiscent of the famous 2011 WJHC gold medal collapse Canada had against Russia, so it doesn't really give me the utmost confidence in Ryan Murphy and Slater Koekkoek's shutdown ability.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
My opinion so far..

LOCKS ON FORWARD:
Nugent-Hopkins (If available)
Huberdeau
Rattie
MacKinnon
Drouin
Scheifele
Strome
Ritchie
Jenner

Huberdeau - Nuge - Rattie
Drouin - Scheifele - MacKinnon
______ - Strome - Ritchie
______ - Jenner - ________

LOCKS ON DEFENSE:
Hamilton
Rielly
Harrington
Murphy

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Murphy
______ - _______

LOCKS IN GOAL:
Subban

Subban
______

How I see it playing out:

Hudon - Strome - Ritchie
Monahan - Jenner - Danault

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Murphy
Reinhart - Dumba
Oullett

Subban
Brossoit

Old
11-21-2012, 03:28 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
My opinion so far..

LOCKS ON FORWARD:
Huberdeau
Rattie
MacKinnon
Drouin
Scheifele
Strome
Ritchie
Jenner

LOCKS ON DEFENSE:
Hamilton
Rielly
Harrington
Murphy

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Murphy
______ - _______

LOCKS IN GOAL:
Subban

Subban
______

Hudon - Strome - Ritchie

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Murphy
Reinhart - Dumba
Oullett

Subban
Brossoit
Mackinnon sucked on the wing, and was really good with Huberdeau and Drouin so I imagine theyll keep that line in tact.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:46 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Mackinnon sucked on the wing, and was really good with Huberdeau and Drouin so I imagine theyll keep that line in tact.
How could you guys believe that HC will allow 3 2013 draft prospects on the team. The only 2 that might make it are mackinnon and monahan that's it. And they will not take a miniature team to Russia. So as good as drouin is he might only get an invite if he is lucky

Old
11-21-2012, 04:20 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
My opinion so far..

LOCKS ON FORWARD:
Huberdeau
Rattie
MacKinnon
Drouin
Scheifele
Strome
Ritchie
Jenner

LOCKS ON DEFENSE:
Hamilton
Rielly
Harrington
Murphy

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Murphy
______ - _______

LOCKS IN GOAL:
Subban

Subban
______

Hudon - Strome - Ritchie

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Murphy
Reinhart - Dumba
Oullett

Subban
Brossoit
Ouellet is an absolute lock. Now that Murray is out he's the second most versatile d-man on the team behind Hamilton. He'll fill in on Murray's duties. Switch Murphy with Ouellet. Murphy will make the team, but hopefully has limited ice time and gets a lot on the PP and 4on4

Old
11-21-2012, 07:04 PM
newfy

Quote:
He played well in the Super Series and has been very solid since
Yeah but hes easily behind Hamilton, Rielly, Ouellet, Harrington, Reinhart, and Dumba. I would say behind Murphy to because his coach is coaching but a lot of guys have Siemens in the top 6 ahead of 2 of these guys all of a sudden cause he had a solid SS.

If they want a couple no offense types itll be Reinhart and Harrington. They wont take 3 offensively anemic players, especially when Ouellet and Hamilton are both well above average defensively.

Siemens might get a shot at the 7th but will be competing with a few others and I absolutely cannot see him making the top 6. He has a bad history with HC as well

Old
11-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Yeah but hes easily behind Hamilton, Rielly, Ouellet, Harrington, Reinhart, and Dumba. I would say behind Murphy to because his coach is coaching but a lot of guys have Siemens in the top 6 ahead of 2 of these guys all of a sudden cause he had a solid SS.

If they want a couple no offense types itll be Reinhart and Harrington. They wont take 3 offensively anemic players, especially when Ouellet and Hamilton are both well above average defensively.

Siemens might get a shot at the 7th but will be competing with a few others and I absolutely cannot see him making the top 6. He has a bad history with HC as well
Team Canada could use someone like him. Big and mean, plus he shut down Yakupov while playing along side Murray. Siemens isn't given enough credit, its not like Dumba was super awesome in the Subway Series. Siemens was solid, especially on the penalty kill plus he's not exactly an offensive black hole. He's picked up his game so lets see how he does. If he lays out another teammate in tryouts all the better. Bring some grit to this team.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:07 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Team Canada could use someone like him. Big and mean, plus he shut down Yakupov while playing along side Murray. Siemens isn't given enough credit, its not like Dumba was super awesome in the Subway Series. Siemens was solid, especially on the penalty kill plus he's not exactly an offensive black hole. He's picked up his game so lets see how he does. If he lays out another teammate in tryouts all the better. Bring some grit to this team.
Oh Yes, Finally someone sees what i see. MEAN!!! we currently have a D that is NOT mean, we have an abundance of puck moving D's on this team but lack the MEANNESS that seimens brings...We will need it against those nasty americans and russian + swedes...He can go as the 7th D...He played very well in the SSS better than Dumba...

Murphy <- ???? good puck movement
Ouelette <- good puck movement + Good shutdown
Harington <- Good shutdown
Hamilton <- puck moving + Good shutdown
Reilly <- puck moving
Reinhart <- Good shutdown (interchange with Ceci ??? maybe ?? not)
Seimens <- Good shutdown + MEAN Mother F***cr

3 - 4 puck moving D
3 shut down D (You will need in case 1 gets hurt like last year)
1 Mean Mother F***r

Old
11-21-2012, 08:39 PM
kyle44

looks like Binnington is heating up at the right time. 3 shutouts in his last 3 games.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:43 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Dumba is a year younger and just as mean. By all accounts is having a pretty solid year, Siemens looked good in a few games.. hasnt put together much all year but is mean. Dumba has a good track record with hockey Canada, played in the summer series and is probably the bigger hitter.

Three offensive black holes in the lineup isnt what it takes to win at the World Juniors. And against most of the competition theyll face, I'm completely happy with the physicality that Dumba, Ouellet, Reinhart and Hamilton are able to provide while still bringing other facets to the game

Old
11-21-2012, 09:36 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Dumba is a year younger and just as mean. By all accounts is having a pretty solid year, Siemens looked good in a few games.. hasnt put together much all year but is mean. Dumba has a good track record with hockey Canada, played in the summer series and is probably the bigger hitter.

Three offensive black holes in the lineup isnt what it takes to win at the World Juniors. And against most of the competition theyll face, I'm completely happy with the physicality that Dumba, Ouellet, Reinhart and Hamilton are able to provide while still bringing other facets to the game
Teams win with D a fast transition game and the capability to shut down the other teams top scorers.
If we don't have shut down D we will not win and vice versa if we only bring a shut down D we will not win. We need a mixture of both AND the ability to clear the net. Dumba can go next year. Invite him to camp see what he can do. Lets see how he measures up to seimens.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Reinhart

vCash: 50
This may be a stupid question...

Why did Hockey Canada bother to have Wotherspoon in the SS? I mean, he was there for only one game, and I thought he was one of the better defencemen that night. I think he played a very solid game overall.

However, I think there is about a 0% chance he makes the cut. I realize there are a lot of players they wanted to see, but why invite someone who for all intents and purposes, not get an invite to camp? I am a Flames fan, and I do think Wotherspoon has some potential as a future NHL'er, but nobody here has slotted him into any lineups - and I have to agree with that. He isn't at that level.

So why 'waste' a spot for him in the SS? I was personally happy to see him there, and I think it was a great experience for him, but why would Hockey Canada include him in the SS? I can see why they had Drouin - though I don't he will end up making the final squad, he definitely is a player with a possibility.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:18 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Teams win with D a fast transition game and the capability to shut down the other teams top scorers.
If we don't have shut down D we will not win and vice versa if we only bring a shut down D we will not win. We need a mixture of both AND the ability to clear the net. Dumba can go next year. Invite him to camp see what he can do. Lets see how he measures up to seimens.
I consider Harrington, Ouellet and Reinhart to all be shut down defenders who will play in the starting 6. Thats ashutdown guy per pairing. Ouellet is more of a two way guy with shut down ability so he could play with someone like Rielly and be the more defensive guy but not anemic offensively like Siemens is. Hamilton is no slouch in his own zone either.

The only one dimensional offensive guy that might be there is Murphy

Old
11-22-2012, 04:25 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post

Why did Hockey Canada bother to have Wotherspoon in the SS? I mean, he was there for only one game, and I thought he was one of the better defencemen that night. I think he played a very solid game overall.

However, I think there is about a 0% chance he makes the cut. I realize there are a lot of players they wanted to see, but why invite someone who for all intents and purposes, not get an invite to camp? I am a Flames fan, and I do think Wotherspoon has some potential as a future NHL'er, but nobody here has slotted him into any lineups - and I have to agree with that. He isn't at that level.

So why 'waste' a spot for him in the SS? I was personally happy to see him there, and I think it was a great experience for him, but why would Hockey Canada include him in the SS? I can see why they had Drouin - though I don't he will end up making the final squad, he definitely is a player with a possibility.
agreed, the Q did it right. Pick a team and play them two games.
Why did the OHL and WHL have some players( Strome)for two games that are slam dunks for the WJC? Isn't this about looking at prospects?

Old
11-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:

Not a stupid question. My best guess is that they wanted to see what he can do against international talent. As you can see with Murray getting injured, anything can happen and spots can open up at anytime before the tourny so I think Canada wanted to cover all their bases and see who was playing well in the WHL and match them up against the russians. Nothing is set in stone and Hockey Canada owes it to all ofCanada to be as thorough as possible in the selection process. The SS was about playing the best of the WHL against the russians.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
Why did the OHL and WHL have some players( Strome)for two games that are slam dunks for the WJC? Isn't this about looking at prospects?
Could be a chemistry thing or maybe there was an injury. I'm not too sure. Or maybe they wanted Strome to get used to scoring against the tough russian goaltending.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:03 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:

At what level? He was there first and foremost to play a strong game for the WHL (And he did just that..arguably being the best canadian defender on that particular night).

He is certainly at the level of players such as Corrado and Percy, but does not get the publicity (on this site) due to a variety of reasons. He has previous experience with Canada at the U-17s and has steadily progressed his game since being drafted in the 2nd round of the draft in 2011. He is currently leading the WHL in +/- and has 18 points in 20 games this season. He was invited to the SSS based on merit. He absolutely deserved to be there.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:05 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
The O had some issues with players who would have played 5 games in 5 days, which is not allowed, so they had to have different players for the Thursday and Monday games.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Rielly has similar abilities but yes, he holds back a bit. To be quite honest, he passes more.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:27 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
I think its silly for us to suggest he has no chance (wotherspoon that is), HC invited him because they want to see him.

If they only brought players that had a chance to make the club, the WHL would have had one forward line both games.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:11 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
The O had some issues with players who would have played 5 games in 5 days, which is not allowed, so they had to have different players for the Thursday and Monday games.
Good point. I had read that.
Probably the same for the whl team.
a lot of players have one game to impress.
According to HC, the players that were expected to play well did play well, leaving very little to pick from.

Closed Thread