HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 02:53 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
That first line is awesome.

Jurco goal was filthy.

And man was that a brutal turnover by Nyquist. Better not do those at the big show.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:11 PM
joe89

Here's a direct link http://sendtonews.com/index.php?id=211&SK=YTJCQjo0F0

Old
11-17-2012, 03:52 PM
FissionFire

Wow, is Brennan Evans really that bad or was he just having an off-night? He looked badly out of position on a couple of those replays. Too busy watching the puck and losing his man.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:59 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Wow, is Brennan Evans really that bad or was he just having an off-night? He looked badly out of position on a couple of those replays. Too busy watching the puck and losing his man.
No, that's common. Along with huge troubles on the breakout pass. He's only good for a few crushing hits once in a while, and leadership I suppose.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:09 PM
FissionFire

Makes me wonder if Nicastro could fill his role in a month or two and move Evans to the bench.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Chad Billins still has an assist per game. Most points of defencemen, but also -7, the worstn ofthe team. Is he really just anonffensive maniac without any defensive skill?

Old
11-17-2012, 11:36 PM
FabricDetails

Wouldn't this be kinda awesome for 2013-2014?

Tatar - Jarnkrok - Jurco
Tvrdon - Sheahan - Ferraro
Callahan - Aubry - Parkes
Nestrasil - Quine - Pulkkinen

Billins - Nicastro
Ouellet - Sproul
Almqvist - Marchenko
Nedomlel

It's definitely not realistic though:

1. When it comes to Jarnkrok and the stereotype that Europeans don't want to play in the AHL partially because they can make a lot more money at home, I feel like Jarnkrok is one of those guys and honestly, I wouldn't blame him. He can still prove me to be very wrong though and I'd be more than happy to be wrong in this case.

2. I can't believe Tatar has one more year of waiver-exemption after this season. It seems like he's been there forever and I'm sure he feels double that. He says he has offers from the KHL and I believe him. It's time for him to move on after this year.

3. With this organization you always have to wary of the possibility that they'll inject close to the 5/6 veteran limit. And even though you can argue all day about the development of the youth, it's sometimes tough to argue against the use of the maximum amount of veterans because the AHL is definitely a grown man's league.

Something perhaps more realistic:

VETERAN / Nestrasil - Ferraro - Jurco
Tvrdon - Sheahan - Pulkkinen
VETERAN / Nestrasil - Aubry - Parkes
VETERAN - VETERAN - Callahan
Quine - Coetzee

Almqvist - Marchenko
Ouellet - Sproul
VETERAN - Nicastro
VETERAN

Mrazek
VETERAN

Last edited by FabricDetails: 11-18-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old
11-18-2012, 02:35 AM
joe89

Or Marchenko staying in KHL and having Ouellet, Sproul, Almqvist, Nicastro, Jensen and two veterans. Fournier or Nedomlel taking the 8th spot depending on what happens with the latter. I wouldn't mind Billins back but I do think they have to let all expiring contracts walk to make this work.

At forward I don't wanna begin to speculate what happens.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:15 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I do think with Mrazek down there the Wings might be willing to go with a younger lineup and convince Grand Rapids they will still be competitive.

Glendening is really coming along and is a local boy. I think he will be with Grand Rapids next year and I don't see him projected around here enough. I wonder if Lashoff will clear waivers or even get a contract next year at this point. For me I have seen enough, I don't want him back at either place. Although I do think he will make a useful AHL captain guy like a Scott Ford or Nolan Yonkman. If that is the role fine but he counts as one of the two to three veterans they will carry next year. I am pretty much done looking at him as a prospect.

I do wonder how much this discussion changes if they sign DeKeyser. We are already talking about having a logjam but I would expect them to offer him a contract. He knocks guys farther down the list as well. I think Nedomlel is starting in the ECHL next year.

I am also tempted to see Parkes in a top 6 role next year. He has been impressive for me this year. I know we like to look at the Griffins in terms of what is best for the Red Wings and that is true to a degree. I just think some of the roles gifted are usually out of whack. It is like how we spent all summer pointing out that Pare would play a bigger role than people thought. Parkes actually has NHL hopes still unlike Pare, but much like Pare it is unlikely Pulkkinen can unseat Parkes on the depth chart at least out of the gate.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 11-18-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old
11-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Chad Billins still has an assist per game. Most points of defencemen, but also -7, the worstn ofthe team. Is he really just anonffensive maniac without any defensive skill?
I really believe Brian Rafalski is a great comparison. The Devils paired Rafi with Scott Stevens, just a beast of a defensive defenseman and it worked out brilliantly. We paired Rafalski with Lids and that worked to perfection until his knees gave out. I very much want to see us sign Billins and then pair him with a very good defensive d-man who can also block shots and PK. I think an organization like Detroit is a perfect fit for a guy like Billins and if he's used properly people across the league will ***** about Detroit once again having a very high level player drop into our laps.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:34 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Billins plays pretty good, positionally, in his own end, from what I've seen. His defensive game can certainly be refined, but it's his lack of size and strength that really hinders him, defensively. I've liked what I've seen overall though.

Evans has also been fine in the games I've seen. He's no NHL talent, but he plays a pretty safe, physical game. The defenseman who's been defensively brutal in almost everything I've seen from the Griffs this year is Paetsch. He's gotten abused.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:34 AM
Henkka

How has the defence pairings been in last games with Paetsch out and Nicastro in? Billins with Evans?

I presume the forward lines are:

Tatar - Andersson - Nyquist
Jurco - Sheahan - Pare
Hoggan - Ferraro - Parkes
Grant - Aubry - Callahan

Is Raedeke out of the lineup, injured(?) or are they just rotating guys?

Old
11-21-2012, 02:35 AM
joe89

You answered your own questions, I think. Nicastro got a chance with Smith, Lashoff with Almqvist. Callahan and Raedeke have taken turns being scratched, with Sheahan out the odd game.

Fournier was sent to Toledo btw.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:10 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
You answered your own questions, I think. Nicastro got a chance with Smith, Lashoff with Almqvist. Callahan and Raedeke have taken turns being scratched, with Sheahan out the odd game.

Fournier was sent to Toledo btw.
Ok. How has Nicastro been? I think he could be a dark horse climber to NHL-squad after a one season in the AHL. Chelios gave him some credit (most develeopment or something about being at great fit in the tests) and somebody here said before he's playing steady and solid basic game.

Those attributes fit well to be a 7th defenceman in NHL (at 2013-14 season) and because of his right handness and maybe better suitability to our NHL-side needs, he could be there before anybody else (after Smith, of course).

That would leave Ouellet, Sproul, Almqvist, Lashoff, Jensen, Nedomlel, Marchenko group for next season. No veterans!

Ouellet - Sproul
Lashoff - Almqvist
Nedomlel - Marchenko/Jensen (some competition here, I hope Marchenko will come, othervise he could be a career KHLr)
(Billins)

PP:
Ouellet - Sproul
Almqvist - Marchenko/Jensen

PK
Nedomlel - Lashoff
Ouellet - Sproul

Solid core. The prospects will fit naturally to those special teams roles.

Last edited by Henkka: 11-21-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old
11-21-2012, 03:27 AM
joe89

Quote:
Ok. How has Nicastro been? I think he could be a dark horse climber to NHL-squad after a one season in the AHL. Chelios gave him some credit and somebody here said before he's playing steady and solid basic game.

Those attributes fit well to be a 7th defenceman in NHL (at 2013-14 season) and because of his right handness and better suotability to our NHL-side needs, he could be there before anybody else (after Smith, of course).
He's gotten better with games and ice time just like Almqvist. A bit too small sample still. Griffins defense is a work in progress but it's starting to shape up with guys getting used to the NA pro game. I'd like to see Nicastro continue with Smith, that's a good combo. Almqvist played his best games with Paetsch, so I'd pair them up again. Billins and Lashoff would make a good third pair. Limit Billins ES minutes a bit, get full use of him on the PP. Although unlikely, I've seen enough of Evans personally to slide him into the pressbox. I'd use him on rotation when it's three games in three nights and such.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Henkka

Quote:
He's gotten better with games and ice time just like Almqvist. A bit too small sample still. Griffins defense is a work in progress but it's starting to shape up with guys getting used to the NA pro game. I'd like to see Nicastro continue with Smith, that's a good combo. Almqvist played his best games with Paetsch, so I'd pair them up again. Billins and Lashoff would make a good third pair. Limit Billins ES minutes a bit, get full use of him on the PP. Although unlikely, I've seen enough of Evans personally to slide him into the pressbox. I'd use him on rotation when it's three games in three nights and such.
Okay, those plans sound great for me. Maybe Blashill is an Hockey Einstein and finds the same.

So Smith has been transferred to the left side when playing with Nicastro? I presume righty Nicastro plays at right? At last season Smith was a right-side defenceman with Janik and also RD in his NHL games. Was Smith at right side also with Paetsch?

Old
11-21-2012, 03:58 AM
joe89

Quote:
Okay, those plans sound great for me. Maybe Blashill is an Hockey Einstein and finds the same.

So Smith has been transferred to the left side when playing with Nicastro? I presume righty Nicastro plays at right? At last season Smith was a right-side defenceman with Janik and also RD in his NHL games. Was Smith at right side also with Paetsch?
Good questions.. My goldfish memory can't really recall those things ^^ But I'm pretty sure Smith plays left with Nicastro yeah, but with Billins(occasionally Almqvist on the PP) he seems to be on the right side. Smith has played with just about every defender on the team in various situations, he's pretty versatile in that regard..

Old
11-21-2012, 10:29 PM
FissionFire

The only problem with dropping Evans from the lineup is that you are left with 3 guys on defense (Almqvist, Paetsch, Billins) who are pretty much non-factors in the PK, while leaving a rookie who missed the second half of the college season last year as your #3 behind Smith and Lashoff. If one of those two goes to the box suddenly Nicastro is your first unit PK D. Not sure if he's ready for that, or if Blashill would even be comfortable cutting his PK options that close.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:07 PM
newfy

Quote:
The only problem with dropping Evans from the lineup is that you are left with 3 guys on defense (Almqvist, Paetsch, Billins) who are pretty much non-factors in the PK, while leaving a rookie who missed the second half of the college season last year as your #3 behind Smith and Lashoff. If one of those two goes to the box suddenly Nicastro is your first unit PK D. Not sure if he's ready for that, or if Blashill would even be comfortable cutting his PK options that close.
And say what you want about his play but it is necessary to have some toughness in the lineup in the AHL. I dont care how you feel about it in the NHL but if you think a team can get by without enforcers in the AHL you dont know hockey. Nyquist, Tatar and tyhe like are too important to not have them surrounded with some toughness.

Do we really want Smith suckered into fighting more often?

Old
11-22-2012, 12:31 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
And say what you want about his play but it is necessary to have some toughness in the lineup in the AHL. I dont care how you feel about it in the NHL but if you think a team can get by without enforcers in the AHL you dont know hockey. Nyquist, Tatar and tyhe like are too important to not have them surrounded with some toughness.

Do we really want Smith suckered into fighting more often?
Sure, my approach is more NHL-like that you ice the best team to win. But Evans is a pretty poor excuse for the enforcer type you're painting up aswell IMO. In 10/11 he had 7 fights, last year 5 fights. Actually, both Grant and Callahan had 9 more fights than him last year and they're in the line-up aswell. Looking at Evans' record, he used to log 15 fights a year and near twice the amount of PIM's. He's slowed down from his younger days. He was nowhere to be found in the game against Rockford when there where actual cheapshots thrown around, either. So I don't count on this guy to step up and protect anyone at all. He's an alibi tough guy at this point.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:45 AM
joe89

Quote:
Which is why I think it's unlikely, plus that he wears a letter. But it also means that Nicastro will be scratched, or maybe Almqvist.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:51 AM
newfy

Quote:
Sure, my approach is more NHL-like that you ice the best team to win. But Evans is a pretty poor excuse for the enforcer type you're painting up aswell IMO. In 10/11 he had 7 fights, last year 5 fights. Actually, both Grant and Callahan had 9 more fights than him last year and they're in the line-up aswell. Looking at Evans' record, he used to log 15 fights a year and near twice the amount of PIM's. He's slowed down from his younger days. He was nowhere to be found in the game against Rockford when there where actual cheapshots thrown around, either. So I don't count on this guy to step up and protect anyone at all. He's an alibi tough guy at this point.
Yeah except Callahan is a young middleweight and Grant is more of a **** disturber that can fight but isnt very big either. You cant have an AHL team with only 2 middleweight type fighters on it, regardless of Evans ability he has shown hes a big guy that can swing with the heavyweights. Hes still a big body that can fight and its definitely needed down there.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:03 AM
joe89

Quote:
Yeah except Callahan is a young middleweight and Grant is more of a **** disturber that can fight but isnt very big either. You cant have an AHL team with only 2 middleweight type fighters on it, regardless of Evans ability he has shown hes a big guy that can swing with the heavyweights. Hes still a big body that can fight and its definitely needed down there.
Easy to point out what goes around comes around, though. Even at the AHL level. Griffins take the least amount of penalties, and has no skill guy throwing any sort of questionable stuff around. While some teams seem to be in a brawl every night. But I totally get what you're saying. It got out of hand in one game out of 14 so far and somebody should've stepped in there and say enough, preferably Evans.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:19 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
I know he isn't a heavyweight but he is a much bigger middleweight than Callahan. The Griffins list Grant at 218 lbs, he is only 6'1". But that is still pretty big and he plays bigger than Callahan.

I think really the point on Evans is a sit down with Nicastro and Lashoff. If he comes out they might need to step up, both guys are pretty big guys on that backend. Now Nicastro is coming off that head injury so maybe they are worried about that. But those two could be good guys for that role as well.

Also worth pointing out the only game I was screaming for him to do it, his response wasn't a fight but a silly cross check to one of the guys he should have been taking to task. If your going to put him in for that role, when the game gets out of hand he better do it.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:54 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I can't believe I'm this excited for a Griffins game tonight. ****ing Bettman.

Closed Thread