HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Breakfast of Champs

vCash: 500
Drouin looked terrified of the BC defenders in the corners tonight, something he will need to work on.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Easily the best hands on the ice every game I've seen of him this year though, and his speed is improving.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:57 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Incredible hands there. One too many moves though. He had him on the backhand, but went to the forehand and gave the goalie time to get pad across.

Unreal though.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:01 PM
h2owned

vCash: 411
I saw him play once this year and he seemed to have better vision and more offensive talent than Mackinnon, but Mackinnon had a more rounded game and back checked hard and fast consistent;y

Old
11-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owned View Post
I saw him play once this year and he seemed to have better vision and more offensive talent than Mackinnon, but Mackinnon had a more rounded game and back checked hard and fast consistent;y
His vision is almost undeniably better. As far as overall offensive ability goes he probably still has more in the Q, but many people (myself included) feel that MacKinnon's offensive game will translate better in the pros. I

It is players like Drouin that give the Q a reputation for producing "all offensive no defense" type players. Amazing hands, vision, quick, flashy, but invisible physically and lacking in their own end. I'm by no means saying he will be one of these players, but there have definitely been quite a few flashy junior players who rack up the points until they get to the next level.

Best case scenario: Kane/Briere

Worst Case: Schremp

Old
11-21-2012, 11:18 PM
FamousTee
Feels Good Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Nasty moves that he didn't finish off tonight:
I literally stood there as this was happening with my jaw dropped. I was so amazed by it.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:55 PM
bsmith14

Interesting that he is getting compared to Kane and is putting up the best draft eligible ppg since Kane as well. It could be a 4 way race for 1st. MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones and Barkov.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
Drouin has four goals and 14 points in his last five games.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:19 AM
canucksPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Interesting that he is getting compared to Kane and is putting up the best draft eligible ppg since Kane as well. It could be a 4 way race for 1st. MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones and Barkov.
I think that one could argue he is near as good as Kane was at that age, and that Kane would have been just behind the big three of this draft. Just my presumptions though.

Old
11-22-2012, 01:26 AM
Parise9Crosby87

drouin will go top 3 for sure

Old
11-22-2012, 01:49 AM
Oilers4life1987

I would be happy if he was an Oilers could you imagine him with Ebs or RNH = drool.

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Drouin-Gagner-Eberle

Old
11-22-2012, 03:54 AM
odessa
Ima Firen Mah Lazar

Seems to be a wonderful year to pick offence. I hope best for Jackets and Stars. They definetly deserves a good offensive prospect.

Last edited by odessa: 11-22-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old
11-22-2012, 04:08 AM
Mr Writer

Spectacular magic hands. I think he's TOP 3 in the draft and dare to say it, pushing the 2 ahead of him.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:20 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Spectacular magic hands. I think he's TOP 3 in the draft and dare to say it, pushing the 2 ahead of him.
Good enough to be picked with Mackinnon for WJC?

Old
11-22-2012, 04:30 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
Good enough to be picked with Mackinnon for WJC?
I would for sure without a doubt if I were picking that team.... but HC has a different mindset and philosophy. In fact I'd go all out and take an entire kid line of 95 born players as my 3rd line that would include Drouin-Mackinnon and N Petan (95 born player currently 3rd in WHL scoring) That's 3rd line in the event of a lockout that includes RNH 1st line center and Scheifele 2nd line center.

just think, all 3 would be required to wear the cage, thus they'll be nicknamed the Kid line or the Cage line and every successful team seems to have a trio that catches the imagination of media and fans... i.e. the legion of doom.

The team would look something like this...

J HUBERDEAU R NUGENT-HOPKINS T RATTIE
S MONAHAN M SCHEIFELE R STROME
J DROUIN N MACKINNON N PETAN
C HUDON B JENNER B LEIPSIC

P DANAULT

D HAMILTON M RIELLY
G REINHART S HARRINGTON
X OUELLET D POULIOT
R PULLOCK

GOAL
M SUBBAN
L BROSSOIT

Last edited by Mr Writer: 11-22-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old
11-22-2012, 07:12 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I don't see this guy going higher than 5. He's a great offensive prospect, but his defense is sorely lacking, he doesn't go into corners very frequently and he has no physical element whatsoever. Just doesn't play a pro style game, and there are prospects of his calibre that do (Monahan, Barkov, Lindholm).

Old
11-22-2012, 08:33 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I don't see this guy going higher than 5. He's a great offensive prospect, but his defense is sorely lacking, he doesn't go into corners very frequently and he has no physical element whatsoever. Just doesn't play a pro style game, and there are prospects of his calibre that do (Monahan, Barkov, Lindholm).
I agree. The players above him are just too strong for him to pass. Ultimately this is just an indication of how strong this draft is over a hit against Drouin.

MacKinnon is a franchise type forward. Seth Jones is a franchise type dman with the ability to play high calibre defense and offense.

Barkov and Lindholm are also similar. They both have upside in the defensive side of the game in addition to the offensive side. Toss in the production they are both seeing in men's league's at 17, production that is unprecedented in Barkov's case, and very rare in Lindholm's case (not having been seen in a while. Not even Backstrom, who is probably the best Swedish prospect to come out of the draft in the past 10 years) for the ages they are in their draft season.

So while Drouin is playing fantastically right now, and has definite high offensive upside, Lindholm and Barkov are playing at equally impressive rates, or at the very least just below it. Along with their more established all around games, I just can't see Drouin passing them.

And we aren't even talking about how Drouin is almost assuredly getting a boost playing on the same line as the player expected to go first overall. Before all the fanboys freak out, he's not getting propped up by him, but it is something that needs to be stated. Would he be playing this well if he was all alone? A case could be made for Monahan being untoppable by Drouin, for very much the same reasons Lindholm and Barkov will be. And none of them have a MacKinnon like player playing with them.

Basically I can't see him being top 3, and top 5 will be very hard. He's just not rounded enough for me to consider it. I don't think his offensive upside makes him a better player than Jones, MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, and even Monohan.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:35 AM
LeafDangler

Latest Red Line Report: 1. Jones 2. Drouin 3. MacKinnon.

I wouldn't be so certain TFK.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:38 AM
TheBeastCoast

vCash: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Said everybody about Giroux.....The guy won't go around laying guys out but I don't see how he is afraid of the corners lol

Old
11-22-2012, 08:41 AM

I would agree with TFK, and Redline isnt the greatest scouting list. If my team were drafting top 5 I would prefer at the very least MacKinnon, Jones, and Barkov over him. But there is still along ways to go in the season and alot can change. The skill is evident and should make him a PPG foward in the NHL.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:47 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I would agree with TFK, and Redline isnt the greatest scouting list. If my team were drafting top 5 I would prefer at the very least MacKinnon, Jones, and Barkov over him. But there is still along ways to go in the season and alot can change. The skill is evident and should make him a PPG foward in the NHL.
I'm a moose ST holder so I've seen him a ton. Still would take MacKinnon over him. But consider this, he's better than Huberdeau was at the same age.

I'm hesitant to comment on the guys I haven't seen live.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:48 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post

Red Line Report is a sensationalist publication merely writing things to get readers.

I'll say right now at the risk of looking like an idiot, Drouin will not go top 3. I'll bet all my v-cash on it, if you want a tangible means of my certainty. Drouin's good, but he's not top 3 good in THIS draft.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post

Trust me, Barkov won't slip TOP 3. I had good off the record chat with Button for 5 minutes, enough said.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:55 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Red Line Report is a sensationalist publication merely writing things to get readers.

I'll say right now at the risk of looking like an idiot, Drouin will not go top 3. I'll bet all my v-cash on it, if you want a tangible means of my certainty. Drouin's good, but he's not top 3 good in THIS draft.
I don't think he goes top 3 when all is said and done either. That said, he's really starting to turn heads and is at the very least making it a legit discussion. I've watched a ton of Q hockey and he really is something special.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:57 AM
TheBeastCoast

vCash: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post

I don't think he will knock off Jones,Barkov, or Mackinnon but I could see him going as high as 4. But like somebody above said he is better then Huberdeau at the same age just to put that in perspective.

Closed Thread