HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread 2.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2012, 04:44 AM
  #876
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Just maybe, Hamrlik is thinking is way ahead of most of the other players, what good has Fehr brought to the NHLPA, so far, nothing, a big fat zero, just a lot of talk about nothing, all he has done from day one since he has been in charge of the NHLPA is to tell the players how bad they have been mis-treated, even thouigh most are millionaires, thanks to the ***** owners that pay them millions.
I've said it once and I'll say it again, the only way this gets resolved is when more players like Hamrlik, stand up and say, what the efff are we doing doing here, we're all losing money, Fehr isn't going to pay for our lost income, PLAYERS, WAKE UP, really, you can't be that stupid, this is real money you are losing and in a lot of cases, players will never, ever be able to recoup this lost income, not to mention how many careers will be over because of dictator Fehr.
The more I hear players defending Fehr and bad mouthing the owners and the league, the owners that sign their million dollar paycheques, the more I realize how ignorant the players actually are, it's really pathetic, WAKE UP
or maybe he just want the 3M attached to the last season on his contract, and probably last of his career


Last edited by ECWHSWI: 11-22-2012 at 04:52 AM.
ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 05:02 AM
  #877
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Cole is a ****** bag. Hammer is entitled to his opinion. Maybe, just maybe Hammer never agreed with the players position in the first place.

Who is looking out for Hammer here? Cole, Fehr, the PA? Gimme a break, if the PA has their way, the older borderline retired players won't get another season. Not that I have a bone in this fight, but Cole comes off as a loser. Bringing up private comments with JG, how unprofessional are these guys?

Cole, you lost some respect from me. I think you're an idiot.

I wonder who is going to pay the 400+ million lost in players salaries as well. Cole you should start up a collection.
huh, I may be wrong but I think it's the league that put the players in lockout, not the other way around

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 07:08 AM
  #878
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
or maybe he just want the 3M attached to the last season on his contract, and probably last of his career
Actually, half of his 3M is gone already. And how is that different than all the other players who are refusing rollbacks because they want to keep their contracts?

So much hypocrisy..

Kriss E is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 08:14 AM
  #879
Maverik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
or maybe he just want the 3M attached to the last season on his contract, and probably last of his career


That's exactly it. Hammer just wanted his paycheck and retire quietly. He doesn't care about the next generation of players. Is it right? Each are entitled to their opinion I guess. The world would not be in it's current state if everyone thought about the next generation...

Maverik is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 08:34 AM
  #880
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 256
Good for Hamrlik, i'm sure there are so many players who feel the same as him. PA is going to crumble and the players are going to regret not taking the deal of a few weeks ago!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 08:34 AM
  #881
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Cole is a ****** bag. Hammer is entitled to his opinion. Maybe, just maybe Hammer never agreed with the players position in the first place.
This is a perfect example of why unions put gag orders on their members. You are certainly entitled to your opinion as long as you keep it to yourself. There should only be a handful of people that should be speaking on the players' behalf. Everyone else should just give the generic "we hope to be playing soon".

What Hammer did was weaken the position of the players in the public eye. It does not help the players' cause. Fehr has a mandate from the majority of his players. If he didn't, this would have been settled already. If as Hammer suggested, they put it to a vote, it should have been done in a private manner.

loudi94 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 08:49 AM
  #882
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,687
vCash: 500
The longer this lockout goes, the less support the players are getting. It's tough to side with anybody that has Gary Bettman representing them, but Donald Fehr may actually be worse. Hearing these players talk has got me thinking that they're all drinking the Fehr kool-aid.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:01 AM
  #883
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
The longer this lockout goes, the less support the players are getting. It's tough to side with anybody that has Gary Bettman representing them, but Donald Fehr may actually be worse. Hearing these players talk has got me thinking that they're all drinking the Fehr kool-aid.
I'm not a big Bettman fan, but i'll never feel bad for these players who earn all that money to play hockey, never!

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:01 AM
  #884
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post


That's exactly it. Hammer just wanted his paycheck and retire quietly. He doesn't care about the next generation of players. Is it right? Each are entitled to their opinion I guess. The world would not be in it's current state if everyone thought about the next generation...
But this makes me laugh. Some people make it seem as if the next generation is in danger, they're not. I can guarantee you that McKinnon (granted he remains healthy and doesn't flop out for wtv reason) will make his millions in the NHL.
The future is not in jeopardy.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:03 AM
  #885
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'm not a big Bettman fan, but i'll never feel bad for these players who earn all that money to play hockey, never!
Apparently you should feel bad for them because after their careers, because they don't know how to manage their millions, a lot of them will lose all their cash and have no pension nor health care...

Kriss E is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:04 AM
  #886
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
But this makes me laugh. Some people make it seem as if the next generation is in danger, they're not. I can guarantee you that McKinnon (granted he remains healthy and doesn't flop out for wtv reason) will make his millions in the NHL.
The future is not in jeopardy.
Exactly. The last lockout was to protect future stars like Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos last I checked those guys are doing very well for themselves even under a salary cap

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:07 AM
  #887
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Apparently you should feel bad for them because after their careers, because they don't know how to manage their millions, a lot of them will lose all their cash and have no pension nor health care...
Maybe they can sell their 3.5 million dollar house and live in a 300 000 like everyone else. I really hope the NHL screws the PA even more, don't even care if we have no hockey for a year or 2. I can't stand Fehr

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:11 AM
  #888
Gally11
Registered User
 
Gally11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Maybe they can sell their 3.5 million dollar house and live in a 300 000 like everyone else. I really hope the NHL screws the PA even more, don't even care if we have no hockey for a year or 2. I can't stand Fehr
Agreed, the players are acting like children. Insulting management in the press, tweeting ridiculous comments, attacking their own for expressing an opinion that they don't agree with when everyone else is doing it.

They're that kid that's having the tantrum in the cookie aisle cause mom put it back on the shelf.

Gally11 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:13 AM
  #889
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
This is a perfect example of why unions put gag orders on their members. You are certainly entitled to your opinion as long as you keep it to yourself. There should only be a handful of people that should be speaking on the players' behalf. Everyone else should just give the generic "we hope to be playing soon".

What Hammer did was weaken the position of the players in the public eye. It does not help the players' cause. Fehr has a mandate from the majority of his players. If he didn't, this would have been settled already. If as Hammer suggested, they put it to a vote, it should have been done in a private manner.
I'm actually surprised there haven't been more Hamrlik's to be honest.

He's far from the only one, for all we know, he could be in the majority. However we don't know this since we have union gags.

Of course if we new that half the players were against Fehr than that would greatly hurt his bargaining power. But maybe that's what is required - his dismissal.

So basically the GAG order is quite possibly only achieving status quo despite where in reality players would have been done with him and back playing by now.

Hamrlik wouldn't have opened his mouth if Fehr was achieving something. He wouldn't have opened to the public if he felt that his and other voices counted within the union.

How long does it take for the average player to make any gains that would off set the loss of a full season? This is where Fehr and the NHLPA are clearly at wrong, and more players will follow Hamrlik's lead in the following weeks.


Last edited by coolasprICE: 11-22-2012 at 09:21 AM.
coolasprICE is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:19 AM
  #890
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'm actually surprised there haven't been more Hamrlik's to be honest.

He's far from the only one, for all we know, he could be in the majority. However we don't know this since we have union gags.

Of course if we new that half the players were against Fehr than that would greatly hurt his bargaining power. But maybe that's what is required - his dismissal.

So basically the GAG order is quite possibly only achieving status quo despite where in reality players would have been done with him and back playing by now.

Hamrlik wouldn't have opened his mouth if Fehr was achieving something. He wouldn't have opened if he felt that his and other voices counted.

How long does it take for the average player to make any gains that would off set the loss of a full season? This is where Fehr and the NHLPA are clearly at wrong, and more players will follow Hamrlik's lead in the following weeks.
Because no one wants to be that guy to do it, now that someone did it, maybe there will be more players who will come out and say something

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:21 AM
  #891
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,171
vCash: 500
Bravo Hammer!

Mark my words, he's the first but now there will be more. Too many guys' careers being either ended or ruined because of this joke. Watch it happen now.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:23 AM
  #892
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post


That's exactly it. Hammer just wanted his paycheck and retire quietly. He doesn't care about the next generation of players. Is it right? Each are entitled to their opinion I guess. The world would not be in it's current state if everyone thought about the next generation...
Hammer, who has been around longer than almost all of these guys (he's currently the active leader in NHL games played I believe), is actually echoing the sentiments of retired players like Recchi and Modano, who warned these guys that they weren't going to win this.

Hamrlik is of course serving himself, but we are talking about a guy who has been in the NHL for 20 years and has experienced every role from 1st over draft pick to stay at home roleplayer, he likely knows more about how the league functions than two rednecks in Gorges and Cole who blow off his opinion and think they are going to slow down Bettman by whining to the media and on twitter.

Et le But is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:23 AM
  #893
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Bravo Hammer!

Mark my words, he's the first but now there will be more. Too many guys' careers being either ended or ruined because of this joke. Watch it happen now.
Really sad that guys like Alfredsson and Selanne are going to go out this way

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:24 AM
  #894
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Bravo Hammer!

Mark my words, he's the first but now there will be more. Too many guys' careers being either ended or ruined because of this joke. Watch it happen now.
The big question is - will this help save the season?

coolasprICE is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:29 AM
  #895
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Really sad that guys like Alfredsson and Selanne are going to go out this way
Yep, awful.

I was listening to McGuire last night on TSN990 and I think I heard him say 300 players who played before the last lockout ended up never playing an NHL game again after hockey resumed. I was sort of half listening because I frankly don't really give a **** anymore, but I think that's the number he gave.

Pretty amazing that Hammer is the only one so far when you consider this.

I would be willing to bet by family jewels that if they held a secret vote with ALL the players they would have accepted the last offer.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:45 AM
  #896
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Good for Hamrlik, i'm sure there are so many players who feel the same as him. PA is going to crumble and the players are going to regret not taking the deal of a few weeks ago!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
The longer this lockout goes, the less support the players are getting. It's tough to side with anybody that has Gary Bettman representing them, but Donald Fehr may actually be worse. Hearing these players talk has got me thinking that they're all drinking the Fehr kool-aid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'm not a big Bettman fan, but i'll never feel bad for these players who earn all that money to play hockey, never!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Apparently you should feel bad for them because after their careers, because they don't know how to manage their millions, a lot of them will lose all their cash and have no pension nor health care...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Exactly. The last lockout was to protect future stars like Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos last I checked those guys are doing very well for themselves even under a salary cap
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'm actually surprised there haven't been more Hamrlik's to be honest.

He's far from the only one, for all we know, he could be in the majority. However we don't know this since we have union gags.

Of course if we new that half the players were against Fehr than that would greatly hurt his bargaining power. But maybe that's what is required - his dismissal.

So basically the GAG order is quite possibly only achieving status quo despite where in reality players would have been done with him and back playing by now.

Hamrlik wouldn't have opened his mouth if Fehr was achieving something. He wouldn't have opened to the public if he felt that his and other voices counted within the union.

How long does it take for the average player to make any gains that would off set the loss of a full season? This is where Fehr and the NHLPA are clearly at wrong, and more players will follow Hamrlik's lead in the following weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Hammer, who has been around longer than almost all of these guys (he's currently the active leader in NHL games played I believe), is actually echoing the sentiments of retired players like Recchi and Modano, who warned these guys that they weren't going to win this.

Hamrlik is of course serving himself, but we are talking about a guy who has been in the NHL for 20 years and has experienced every role from 1st over draft pick to stay at home roleplayer, he likely knows more about how the league functions than two rednecks in Gorges and Cole who blow off his opinion and think they are going to slow down Bettman by whining to the media and on twitter.

VAN-HAB is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:46 AM
  #897
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Am I only one who enjoyed the exchange between fan and bettman? Sure, they didn't agree but kind of cool the fan was frustrated and was very appreciative at the end. I think that's cool. Not really related to the negotiations but wtv.
I thought the fan looked like an idiot and got embarrased...he left with his tail between his legs.

Not sure if it was just a PR stunt for Bettman to actually give him the time of day...but thought it was a smart move

417 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:00 AM
  #898
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Maybe they can sell their 3.5 million dollar house and live in a 300 000 like everyone else. I really hope the NHL screws the PA even more, don't even care if we have no hockey for a year or 2. I can't stand Fehr
Or, Jacobs, Anschutz, Burkle, Falcone, Pegula and Illitch can give up some of their billions to end this thing. Every time I see references to how much money players have, without the owners' much larger wealth mentioned...

Roulin is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:09 AM
  #899
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If the current players throw future players under the bus, what's to stop the NHL from stealing the pension in 10 or 15 years? Nothing whatsoever if there isn't a strong union.
There are a lot of people in this world who make a very good living working for companies that don't employ unionized workers. They get fair pay, they have solid pension pension/savings plans, good medical benefits, and so on. On the other hand, there have been a great many workers who have lost their jobs and pensions despite being members of strong unions.

There isn't a 1 to 1 correlation between job security, level of pay, pension benefits etc, and being a member of a union.

The surest way that union members can jeopardize their long term future is by demanding more than their employer can afford or by undermining the industry in which they work.

The one thing that seems to be happening is that the players are stumbling toward a PR disaster if they don't learn to keep inflammatory comments under control

HCH is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:13 AM
  #900
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,214
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Or, Jacobs, Anschutz, Burkle, Falcone, Pegula and Illitch can give up some of their billions to end this thing. Every time I see references to how much money players have, without the owners' much larger wealth mentioned...
Most of those owners didn't make millions and billions because of the hockey team they purchased, so why the hell should they share it with them?

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.