HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potentially big issue if the season starts up

Old
11-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
I've mentioned it before - kinda weird to me that Danis has never had more of a shot than he has had.

Career stats: 50GP: 16W-21L-4OTL, 3SO, .911 Save%, 2.71GAA.

Not world beater numbers, but certainly adequate backup numbers IMO.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:17 AM
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Just call up Yann Danis .
i think this is one of the reason why Danis signed with the oilers again was so that he would get another shot at the NHL

maybe Danis will be another Tim Thomas.....kick around the minors then at age 35 be the best goalie in the league.

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:25 AM
oilers4life5

I am fine with a DD and YD combo. He'll no to anyone who suggests bobby Lou.

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:35 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
I am fine with a DD and YD combo. He'll no to anyone who suggests bobby Lou.
For the right price you can't say no to him. However, dealing with a division rival you won't get the right price. So the odds of him are really really low.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:11 AM
harpoon
FOB

I wholeheartedly agree with the op.

Dubnyk is already so content in his position with the team and with his fat new contract that he hasn't yet bothered to sort out a place to stay game sharp while the lockout goes on. He should be cruising the Polish league if that's what it takes to find somewhere to play.

And yes, it wouldn't surprise me a bit that Tamby thinks a Dubnyk/Danis tandem is plenty good enough.
The man thinks its his job to finish last.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:37 AM
backhandsauce

I'd leave Danis in the AHL and sign Dan Ellis. The guy is tearing it up in the AHL.

9 games in he has a 1.71 GAA and a .948 SP

Give him a one year deal.

#danellisproblems

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
This! Call Danis up and let Bunz split the time with Roy
Problem solved

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I think this is the year to go all in on Montoya. Trade Yakupov+ to secure his rights now and for the future.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:54 PM
alanschu

Do the rags even need Yak+?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I think this is the year to go all in on Montoya. Trade Yakupov+ to secure his rights now and for the future.
Probably need to add RNH

Old
11-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

I wouldn't be too worried about the season starting anytime soon.

If the problem arises, I'll be happy enough that hockey's back to actually care.

Mav3rick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Like the poster above me, I would love for those to be the biggest of our concerns. The way I look at it is this.

1) We have no hockey, and next season we have DD and either YD or need to find a new backup.

2) We have hockey, this season we have DD and either YD or a new backup (or Khabi if he gets back from injury, I have no idea how serious this rumored injury is) and we potentially lose more games because of it, and next season we have DD and either YD or a new backup.

Both scenarios leave us in the exact same place for next season (option 2 being maybe better, as that way DD doesn't get rusty which is currently my biggest fear, would hate to see him lose it all just because of a lost season), but if hockey starts back up we have hockey this season. I'd chose losing hockey games over not playing them. Not to mention I only covered worst case scenario if hockey comes back. For all we know, DD or YD could pull out a great performance and turn stuff around. You never know with goalies.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Sparky1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
With Khabibulin injured, and possibly retiring, I think that it is clear that the Oilers need to address the goaltending situation sometime before hockey starts again. I'm praying that Dubnyk finds some consistency to his game and grabs the starters role, but he hasn't done anything to this point in his career that indicates that he can play at a consistently high level over an entire season.

If we start playing and Dubnyk plays like ****, we aren't going to have anyone in the organization that can reasonably play goal at the NHL level. Even if Bulin is healthy, I highly doubt he will be able to play even average for any length of time. Either that or he very likely gets injured again.
Last season Dubnyk played 47GP - 2.67GAA - .914SPct
Previous Season 35GP - 2.71GAA - .916SPct

Last Season Luongo was 55GP - 2.41GAA - .919SPct on a much deeper Vancouver Team.

Others Comparables of Note:

Crawford: 57GP - 2.72GAA - .903SPct
Thomas: 59GP - 2.36GAA - .920SPct
Miller: 61GP - 2.55GAA - .916SPct
Price: 65GP - 2.43GAA - .916SPct
Brodeur: 59GP - 2.41GAA - .908SPct
VoKoun: 48GP - 2.51GAA - .917

Let's not jump off the cliff with DD just yet. The Oilers and their fans need to give DD a full season to see what they have.

Let us patch the holes in the defense first and I expect that we will start to see the overall numbers on DD to climb into the area of 60GP - 2.35GAA - 9.25SPct. That would put him in the top 10 starters in the league which is all we could ever expect.

Sparky1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1977 View Post
Last season Dubnyk played 47GP - 2.67GAA - .914SPct
Previous Season 35GP - 2.71GAA - .916SPct

Last Season Luongo was 55GP - 2.41GAA - .919SPct on a much deeper Vancouver Team.

Others Comparables of Note:

Crawford: 57GP - 2.72GAA - .903SPct
Thomas: 59GP - 2.36GAA - .920SPct
Miller: 61GP - 2.55GAA - .916SPct
Price: 65GP - 2.43GAA - .916SPct
Brodeur: 59GP - 2.41GAA - .908SPct
VoKoun: 48GP - 2.51GAA - .917

Let's not jump off the cliff with DD just yet. The Oilers and their fans need to give DD a full season to see what they have.

Let us patch the holes in the defense first and I expect that we will start to see the overall numbers on DD to climb into the area of 60GP - 2.35GAA - 9.25SPct. That would put him in the top 10 starters in the league which is all we could ever expect.
That's a pretty bold statement. I'm very confident in DD's ability to play as a solid starter under a average/good defensive team, but a jump from .914 to .925 is a really big jump. Not saying impossible, but I would be thrilled if he ended up with .920 full-season behind better defense.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Probably need to add RNH
You think that's it? I'd assume they would want some future peices like our 1st as well.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:56 PM
dnicks17

Here's my two outlandish(and sort of tongue-in-cheek ) plans:

A) Bring Tuohimaa over. 1.90 GAA and .923 SV% so far in the FEL this season. The chances of him being worse than post-November Khabby are slim to none.

B) Linus Omark to Columbus for Curtis McElhinney + 3rd Round Pick.

Voila. Problem solved.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 05:55 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Here's my two outlandish(and sort of tongue-in-cheek ) plans:

A) Bring Tuohimaa over. 1.90 GAA and .923 SV% so far in the FEL this season. The chances of him being worse than post-November Khabby are slim to none.

B) Linus Omark to Columbus for Curtis McElhinney + 3rd Round Pick.

Voila. Problem solved.
I think point 1 will happen for next years camp. As for point 2, i would be happy with anything for that loud mouth.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:11 AM
CROTT

Whats with the love affair over Montoya? His numbers are not that much different the Dubnyk's, who has a more consistent save percentage.

Also both have played on two of the worst teams in the NHL over the last two seasons. It just seams like too much of the same, might as well ride Dubnyk till he proves himself or busts.

And as for McElhinney, I'd rather have Danis as a back up to Dubnyk. McElhinney's AHL #'s look good, but his limited starts in the NHL make it too much of risk to gamble on IMO.

The Oilers might as well stick with what they have, until they know what that is...

Last edited by CROTT: 11-23-2012 at 12:18 AM.
CROTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:27 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROTT View Post
Whats with the love affair over Montoya? His numbers are not that much different the Dubnyk's, who has a more consistent save percentage.

Also both have played on two of the worst teams in the NHL over the last two seasons. It just seams like too much of the same, might as well ride Dubnyk till he proves himself or busts.

And as for McElhinney, I'd rather have Danis as a back up to Dubnyk. McElhinney's AHL #'s look good, but his limited starts in the NHL make it too much of risk to gamble on IMO.

The Oilers might as well stick with what they have, until they know what that is...
And another falls to the Montoya inside joke...

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:58 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

While I think quality of the goaltending on the team is a very big deal for the Oilers... as in they aren't very strong in net with Dubs and Khabi.. goaltending is also an area where it's comparatively easy to find decent journeymen goaltenders to fill holes at least temporarily... see the signings of Gerber and Danis for good examples. There are only 60 full time goalie jobs in the NHL and a lot of decent goalies plying their trade in Europe who could likely be lured out of there for a near minimum NHL salary.

So yes, while I think it's an area that obviously the Oilers have neglected to improve (many would argue purposely for "tank mode" in past seasons)... it's also an area where one decent overseas acquisition can make an impact.

Dubnyk-Danis(or equivalent) would be a decent combo in my opinion.. until a better option comes up in a trade or otherwise becomes available from another club whether at the NHL level, in the minors or from a pro league overseas.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

I like how you actually think we have a chance at Montoya. The rangers will lock this guy up long term as he is set to replace Lundvist right away. Montoya will be a stud for the rangers for years to come.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:34 AM
CROTT

Quote:
Ah, I was kind of thinking that was the case... I don't read the boards too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I like how you actually think we have a chance at Montoya. The rangers will lock this guy up long term as he is set to replace Lundvist right away. Montoya will be a stud for the rangers for years to come.
Montoya is signed with the Jets, he has played with the Islanders not the Rangers.... And I did not say anything that would imply that I thought the Oilers could get him. I was just asking why some posters here were so high on him. If your attempting to troll, poor effort.

CROTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Ah, I was kind of thinking that was the case... I don't read the boards too often.

Montoya is signed with the Jets, he has played with the Islanders not the Rangers.... And I did not say anything that would imply that I thought the Oilers could get him. I was just asking why some posters here were so high on him. If your attempting to troll, poor effort.
I think you may want to reread the first post you quoted again.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:

Montoya with the Jets and Islanders. That's hilarious. What kind of fantasy world do you live in that the Rangers traded Montoya? Will never happen.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:59 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Crott was my homie on the edmontonoilers.com forum back in the day. Let's give him a warm welcome lol.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote