HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Offseason Madness the 7th: Jose Reyes edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2012, 10:22 AM
  #26
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
What? I didn't realize Lovullo and Butterfield followed Farrell to Boston. That's a shame, I liked Butterfield a lot.
They did but it's not a huge loss by any means. Butters was here for 10 years. I don't really blame him for going with Farrell. Although, after the trade I think he may be regretting it a little. Although, really his job wasn't necessarily safe with a new manager coming in.

dredeye is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:23 AM
  #27
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
A shame for them maybe. Given our roster now, do you believe those guys leave ?
Fair enough.

SpezDispenser is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:23 AM
  #28
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,856
vCash: 500
Just wanted to give you an update, sonofsamhorn.net are hinting that the Sox are hard after Swisher and Jonny Gomes

BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:24 AM
  #29
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Just wanted to give you an update, sonofsamhorn.net are hinting that the Sox are hard after Swisher and Jonny Gomes
Gomes already inked a 2 yr deal w/ Boston.

topched is online now  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
  #30
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
They did but it's not a huge loss by any means. Butters was here for 10 years. I don't really blame him for going with Farrell. Although, after the trade I think he may be regretting it a little. Although, really his job wasn't necessarily safe with a new manager coming in.
Thats what it was IMO. Going with Farrell he knows he'll have a job and where he'll be... Staying here was no guarentee that he'd even have a job. He could have potentially been unemployed today with limited options.

sparxx87 is online now  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:45 AM
  #31
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Just wanted to give you an update, sonofsamhorn.net are hinting that the Sox are hard after Swisher and Jonny Gomes
Swisher will be one of the biggest busts in baseball next season. He is going to sign a ridiculous contract probably in the range of 15-16 mil over 5-6 years. Boston can have him.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:48 AM
  #32
theaub
Lets go Hawks!
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Markham, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,342
vCash: 995
MLB Network finally approved for distribution in Canada

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-637.htm

theaub is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:54 AM
  #33
Eyedea
96 from the left
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,764
vCash: 350
Just to let y'all know my families cable bill is set to go up soon. Thanks Rogers

Eyedea is online now  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:56 AM
  #34
AndMat*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Just to let y'all know my families cable bill is set to go up soon. Thanks Rogers
Liar!!

AndMat* is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:58 AM
  #35
Eyedea
96 from the left
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,764
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
Liar!!
My mother was talking to me about it a couple days ago haha. I was just thinking to myself, "I'm doing this for you AA."

Eyedea is online now  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:59 AM
  #36
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,887
vCash: 500
**** Rogers and Bell.

Get satellite like moi.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:02 AM
  #37
Kessley Snipes
Registered User
 
Kessley Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
gose will be our cf

if rasmus does well then that ups his market value
I am not sold on Gose at all right now in the Centre Field Position. Sure his defense and speed are top notch but I think those qualities are now redundant on this team given the acquisition of Reyes. His bat simply doesnt have a role in our lineup. We no longer have a need for a 1-2 hitter for the next 2-3 seasons. Colby will be here for a while whether you like it or not.

When Lawrie, Bautista, EE and Rasmus were all healthy they formed a deadly top of the lineup. Colby hitting in the 2 spot saw many more fastballs hitting in front of Jose and was really finding a groove. Once Jose got hurt Colby suffered by seeing a poor pitch selection. Given our line up now I see now reason for him to be inconsistent and he will likely receive some of the better pitch selection.

Kessley Snipes is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:07 AM
  #38
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Just to let y'all know my families cable bill is set to go up soon. Thanks Rogers
Did you expect Rogers would pay the new Jays off the bottom line? Of course not. Rogers customers will pay for the increased payroll of the ball team.

I expected that, and I don't really have a problem with it. Baseball is almost the only tv I watch in the summer, so I'm fine with paying more for a better product.

MLB network will also be added to the sports package next season. Thats something I've wanted for a long time.. Again, no problem paying for it.


No doubt I would be pissed if I wasn't a baseball fan or a Jays fan though... To those people, I say thank you for subsidizing it!!

sparxx87 is online now  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:12 AM
  #39
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
MLB Network finally approved for distribution in Canada

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-637.htm
looks like I'll be cutting the cable this year; so long Rogers.

Sokil is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:13 AM
  #40
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Did you expect Rogers would pay the new Jays off the bottom line? Of course not. Rogers customers will pay for the increased payroll of the ball team.
There's no way that baseball payroll factors into Rogers' decisions concerning its service offerings. The goal is always more profits, obviously, but if they price themselves out and people go to Bell, that defeats the purpose. Just because Rogers is going up doesn't mean that it's because of baseball.

Sokil is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:16 AM
  #41
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,200
vCash: 500
When will Santos be ready?

SpezDispenser is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
  #42
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
The way it stands...

I would say the Bench to open up the season is:

Izturis: 2nd/3rd/SS/OF
Buck: C/DH
Cooper: 1B/DH
Davis: OF
I'm very happy with that bench.

tp71 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:22 AM
  #43
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG
 
SeenSchenn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
I am not sold on Gose at all right now in the Centre Field Position. Sure his defense and speed are top notch but I think those qualities are now redundant on this team given the acquisition of Reyes. His bat simply doesnt have a role in our lineup. We no longer have a need for a 1-2 hitter for the next 2-3 seasons. Colby will be here for a while whether you like it or not.

When Lawrie, Bautista, EE and Rasmus were all healthy they formed a deadly top of the lineup. Colby hitting in the 2 spot saw many more fastballs hitting in front of Jose and was really finding a groove. Once Jose got hurt Colby suffered by seeing a poor pitch selection. Given our line up now I see now reason for him to be inconsistent and he will likely receive some of the better pitch selection.
Agreed, as he should be. He'll prove how valuable he is this season.

SeenSchenn2 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:29 AM
  #44
Kamal007
God Level
 
Kamal007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,276
vCash: 50
Any news whether Dwayne Murphy will be sticking around? Lets hope not. Otherwise, In b4 Reyes has a 250 OBP and 20 hrs.

Kamal007 is online now  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:33 AM
  #45
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Any news whether Dwayne Murphy will be sticking around? Lets hope not. Otherwise, In b4 Reyes has a 250 OBP and 20 hrs.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseba...son-to-do-list

plf posted this earlier and it says that there are certainly many options for the Jays to look into, including either replacing him with the AAA batting coach, or brining him in to help Murphy if he's kept.

SpezDispenser is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:36 AM
  #46
Eyedea
96 from the left
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,764
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Did you expect Rogers would pay the new Jays off the bottom line? Of course not. Rogers customers will pay for the increased payroll of the ball team.
I think it has more to do with them putting assets into MLSE and in turn receiving minimal back. It may just be me, but if there was no lockout I don't think I'd be seeing a large spike in the billing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
When will Santos be ready?
Pretty sure he's been pitching on a mound with no problems for a little over a month now. No loss in velocity, arm strength, etc etc. He'll be more than ready when spring training comes around.

Eyedea is online now  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:37 AM
  #47
Buckleys
Registered User
 
Buckleys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
I may get blasted for this, but I was curious.

Let's say Rasmus has a huge year, with 25 HR and really increases the average, Cabrera does what he does, and Gose bat really develops, and then of course Bats being bats. Would there be any argument with next year EE being 1B full time, Rasmus playing the odd game at CF but more in the corners? Bats, Rasmus, Cabrera could have some DHing days, and maybe Bats and Rasmus could learn to play some 1B for EE to have off days and DH?

Maybe its ridiculous, so I apologize if it is, but it could be a way to solve the 1B/DH problem will utilizing all 4 of these guys IF it all goes well.

Buckleys is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:38 AM
  #48
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Pretty sure he's been pitching on a mound with no problems for a little over a month now. No loss in velocity, arm strength, etc etc. He'll be more than ready when spring training comes around.
Oh, that's amazing. I was prepared to have to wait until July for him. What a bullpen we have with Delmar, Lincoln, Rogers, Santos, Jansen, hopefully Oliver and so on...

SpezDispenser is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:43 AM
  #49
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
I am not sold on Gose at all right now in the Centre Field Position. Sure his defense and speed are top notch but I think those qualities are now redundant on this team given the acquisition of Reyes. His bat simply doesnt have a role in our lineup. We no longer have a need for a 1-2 hitter for the next 2-3 seasons. Colby will be here for a while whether you like it or not.

When Lawrie, Bautista, EE and Rasmus were all healthy they formed a deadly top of the lineup. Colby hitting in the 2 spot saw many more fastballs hitting in front of Jose and was really finding a groove. Once Jose got hurt Colby suffered by seeing a poor pitch selection. Given our line up now I see now reason for him to be inconsistent and he will likely receive some of the better pitch selection.
Elite defense, speed and arm are NEVER redundant qualities in CF.

The fact that you say something like "Colby will be here for awhile whether you like it or not" shows that your extremely biased on this subject. At the end of the day not a single person in this thread or fanbase has ANY idea who will be the CF going forward so stop acting like you have some inside insight.

It's really hilarious to see how much of this fanbase craps on Gose. I guess they must have been big fans of Brett Wallace and hated that trade from day 1.

weems is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:52 AM
  #50
Quik
Agent 0091
 
Quik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
I may get blasted for this, but I was curious.

Let's say Rasmus has a huge year, with 25 HR and really increases the average, Cabrera does what he does, and Gose bat really develops, and then of course Bats being bats. Would there be any argument with next year EE being 1B full time, Rasmus playing the odd game at CF but more in the corners? Bats, Rasmus, Cabrera could have some DHing days, and maybe Bats and Rasmus could learn to play some 1B for EE to have off days and DH?

Maybe its ridiculous, so I apologize if it is, but it could be a way to solve the 1B/DH problem will utilizing all 4 of these guys IF it all goes well.
That isn't a ridiculous thought. Many felt that once Gose and Marisnick both developed, if they were both with the team at the same time as Bautista, Jose would move off to 1B with a possible Rasmus-Gose-Marisnick outfield. Assuming Gose forces his way onto the team while Melky's still here, and barring a trade, it's entirely plausible to think Jose becomes the everyday 1B with EE going back to DH, and essentially shuffling Jose/EE/Melky around between LF/DH/1B (obviously Melky just LF/DH).

Quik is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.