HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Offseason Madness the 7th: Jose Reyes edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 10:22 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
What? I didn't realize Lovullo and Butterfield followed Farrell to Boston. That's a shame, I liked Butterfield a lot.
They did but it's not a huge loss by any means. Butters was here for 10 years. I don't really blame him for going with Farrell. Although, after the trade I think he may be regretting it a little. Although, really his job wasn't necessarily safe with a new manager coming in.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:23 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
A shame for them maybe. Given our roster now, do you believe those guys leave ?
Fair enough.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:23 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Just wanted to give you an update, sonofsamhorn.net are hinting that the Sox are hard after Swisher and Jonny Gomes

Old
11-22-2012, 10:24 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Just wanted to give you an update, sonofsamhorn.net are hinting that the Sox are hard after Swisher and Jonny Gomes
Gomes already inked a 2 yr deal w/ Boston.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
They did but it's not a huge loss by any means. Butters was here for 10 years. I don't really blame him for going with Farrell. Although, after the trade I think he may be regretting it a little. Although, really his job wasn't necessarily safe with a new manager coming in.
Thats what it was IMO. Going with Farrell he knows he'll have a job and where he'll be... Staying here was no guarentee that he'd even have a job. He could have potentially been unemployed today with limited options.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Swisher will be one of the biggest busts in baseball next season. He is going to sign a ridiculous contract probably in the range of 15-16 mil over 5-6 years. Boston can have him.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:48 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
MLB Network finally approved for distribution in Canada

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-637.htm

Old
11-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Just to let y'all know my families cable bill is set to go up soon. Thanks Rogers

Old
11-22-2012, 10:56 AM
AndMat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Just to let y'all know my families cable bill is set to go up soon. Thanks Rogers
Liar!!

Old
11-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Eyedea
96 from the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
Liar!!
My mother was talking to me about it a couple days ago haha. I was just thinking to myself, "I'm doing this for you AA."

Old
11-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

**** Rogers and Bell.

Get satellite like moi.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Kessley Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
gose will be our cf

if rasmus does well then that ups his market value
I am not sold on Gose at all right now in the Centre Field Position. Sure his defense and speed are top notch but I think those qualities are now redundant on this team given the acquisition of Reyes. His bat simply doesnt have a role in our lineup. We no longer have a need for a 1-2 hitter for the next 2-3 seasons. Colby will be here for a while whether you like it or not.

When Lawrie, Bautista, EE and Rasmus were all healthy they formed a deadly top of the lineup. Colby hitting in the 2 spot saw many more fastballs hitting in front of Jose and was really finding a groove. Once Jose got hurt Colby suffered by seeing a poor pitch selection. Given our line up now I see now reason for him to be inconsistent and he will likely receive some of the better pitch selection.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:07 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Did you expect Rogers would pay the new Jays off the bottom line? Of course not. Rogers customers will pay for the increased payroll of the ball team.

I expected that, and I don't really have a problem with it. Baseball is almost the only tv I watch in the summer, so I'm fine with paying more for a better product.

MLB network will also be added to the sports package next season. Thats something I've wanted for a long time.. Again, no problem paying for it.

No doubt I would be pissed if I wasn't a baseball fan or a Jays fan though... To those people, I say thank you for subsidizing it!!

Old
11-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
MLB Network finally approved for distribution in Canada

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-637.htm
looks like I'll be cutting the cable this year; so long Rogers.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Did you expect Rogers would pay the new Jays off the bottom line? Of course not. Rogers customers will pay for the increased payroll of the ball team.
There's no way that baseball payroll factors into Rogers' decisions concerning its service offerings. The goal is always more profits, obviously, but if they price themselves out and people go to Bell, that defeats the purpose. Just because Rogers is going up doesn't mean that it's because of baseball.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:16 AM
SpezDispenser

When will Santos be ready?

Old
11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
The way it stands...

I would say the Bench to open up the season is:

Izturis: 2nd/3rd/SS/OF
Buck: C/DH
Cooper: 1B/DH
Davis: OF
I'm very happy with that bench.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:22 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
I am not sold on Gose at all right now in the Centre Field Position. Sure his defense and speed are top notch but I think those qualities are now redundant on this team given the acquisition of Reyes. His bat simply doesnt have a role in our lineup. We no longer have a need for a 1-2 hitter for the next 2-3 seasons. Colby will be here for a while whether you like it or not.

When Lawrie, Bautista, EE and Rasmus were all healthy they formed a deadly top of the lineup. Colby hitting in the 2 spot saw many more fastballs hitting in front of Jose and was really finding a groove. Once Jose got hurt Colby suffered by seeing a poor pitch selection. Given our line up now I see now reason for him to be inconsistent and he will likely receive some of the better pitch selection.
Agreed, as he should be. He'll prove how valuable he is this season.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Kamal007
God Level

vCash: 50
Any news whether Dwayne Murphy will be sticking around? Lets hope not. Otherwise, In b4 Reyes has a 250 OBP and 20 hrs.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:33 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Any news whether Dwayne Murphy will be sticking around? Lets hope not. Otherwise, In b4 Reyes has a 250 OBP and 20 hrs.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseba...son-to-do-list

plf posted this earlier and it says that there are certainly many options for the Jays to look into, including either replacing him with the AAA batting coach, or brining him in to help Murphy if he's kept.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Eyedea
96 from the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I think it has more to do with them putting assets into MLSE and in turn receiving minimal back. It may just be me, but if there was no lockout I don't think I'd be seeing a large spike in the billing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
When will Santos be ready?
Pretty sure he's been pitching on a mound with no problems for a little over a month now. No loss in velocity, arm strength, etc etc. He'll be more than ready when spring training comes around.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Buckleys

I may get blasted for this, but I was curious.

Let's say Rasmus has a huge year, with 25 HR and really increases the average, Cabrera does what he does, and Gose bat really develops, and then of course Bats being bats. Would there be any argument with next year EE being 1B full time, Rasmus playing the odd game at CF but more in the corners? Bats, Rasmus, Cabrera could have some DHing days, and maybe Bats and Rasmus could learn to play some 1B for EE to have off days and DH?

Maybe its ridiculous, so I apologize if it is, but it could be a way to solve the 1B/DH problem will utilizing all 4 of these guys IF it all goes well.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:38 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Pretty sure he's been pitching on a mound with no problems for a little over a month now. No loss in velocity, arm strength, etc etc. He'll be more than ready when spring training comes around.
Oh, that's amazing. I was prepared to have to wait until July for him. What a bullpen we have with Delmar, Lincoln, Rogers, Santos, Jansen, hopefully Oliver and so on...

Old
11-22-2012, 11:43 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post

Elite defense, speed and arm are NEVER redundant qualities in CF.

The fact that you say something like "Colby will be here for awhile whether you like it or not" shows that your extremely biased on this subject. At the end of the day not a single person in this thread or fanbase has ANY idea who will be the CF going forward so stop acting like you have some inside insight.

It's really hilarious to see how much of this fanbase craps on Gose. I guess they must have been big fans of Brett Wallace and hated that trade from day 1.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
I may get blasted for this, but I was curious.

Let's say Rasmus has a huge year, with 25 HR and really increases the average, Cabrera does what he does, and Gose bat really develops, and then of course Bats being bats. Would there be any argument with next year EE being 1B full time, Rasmus playing the odd game at CF but more in the corners? Bats, Rasmus, Cabrera could have some DHing days, and maybe Bats and Rasmus could learn to play some 1B for EE to have off days and DH?

Maybe its ridiculous, so I apologize if it is, but it could be a way to solve the 1B/DH problem will utilizing all 4 of these guys IF it all goes well.
That isn't a ridiculous thought. Many felt that once Gose and Marisnick both developed, if they were both with the team at the same time as Bautista, Jose would move off to 1B with a possible Rasmus-Gose-Marisnick outfield. Assuming Gose forces his way onto the team while Melky's still here, and barring a trade, it's entirely plausible to think Jose becomes the everyday 1B with EE going back to DH, and essentially shuffling Jose/EE/Melky around between LF/DH/1B (obviously Melky just LF/DH).

Closed Thread