HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Israel-Gaza conflict huge escalation

Old
11-22-2012, 10:35 AM
slip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
At least you admit you are an ignoramus.
My friend, there is no shame in being stupid; there's only shame in pretending you're not.

So shame on you.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:37 AM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Who knows, maybe some day the Native Americans will get a museum in Washington depicting their holocaust, you know, since that one actually occurred here on these shores.
I think having really ****** biological immunity to diseases isn't remotely in the same ballpark as the systematic industrial slaughter of identifiable "problem groups." You're really bad at this whole hyperbole thing though.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:10 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
I think having really ****** biological immunity to diseases isn't remotely in the same ballpark as the systematic industrial slaughter of identifiable "problem groups." You're really bad at this whole hyperbole thing though.
It's long, and probably something you won't watch, but if you're willing to test the limits of your beliefs:

Old
11-22-2012, 12:41 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
I didn't knew being forcefully relocated, and having your bison stock exterminated was a disease.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's long, and probably something you won't watch, but if you're willing to test the limits of your beliefs:

very good video.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I didn't knew being forcefully relocated, and having your bison stock exterminated was a disease.
Public health in the US has improved exponentially since doctors started vaccinating against Andrew Jacksonitis.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:07 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Degenerate?

Well you're a vestiggio! See? I can make words up too!
"vestiggio" lol ! no offense bro

I've reading through the last couple of pages. Slip and Stylizer1 rock!

Burke is being an ass and making an ass out of himself. As most of the time.

**** in Palestine is gonna stayed ****ed up. No matter what!

And to be on any side is to be on deaths side. To be against humanity. There no winning side, or a morally better side. The witness this, is to be in hell. We're a little further of, but hell is here.

The truth is - in all honesty - some really crazy, I mean Nazi-crazy (people), own everything ... really everything. Thats it. God knows what they really plan. But they sure as hell own this place (earth).

Long live love!

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:59 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
very good video.
Stannard is a courageous thinker who has endured a great deal of harsh criticism for espousing theories that run counter to prevailing attitudes regarding the exact definition of genocide, and its application to various "liquidations" of ethnic groups throughout history. In that video he touches on the ideas of Raphael Lemkin who in none other than the man who defined the concept of genocide itself. Lemkin was in the process of writing his magnum opus on genocide when he died, and his notes indicate that European destruction of North and South American tribes was to figure prominently in that work.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN88 View Post
"vestiggio" lol ! no offense bro

I've reading through the last couple of pages. Slip and Stylizer1 rock!

Burke is being an ass and making an ass out of himself. As most of the time.

**** in Palestine is gonna stayed ****ed up. No matter what!

And to be on any side is to be on deaths side. To be against humanity. There no winning side, or a morally better side. The witness this, is to be in hell. We're a little further of, but hell is here.

The truth is - in all honesty - some really crazy, I mean Nazi-crazy (people), own everything ... really everything. Thats it. God knows what they really plan. But they sure as hell own this place (earth).

Long live love!
Naw....you da man!

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Protests in egypt kicking up over Mohd Mursy decree to give himself powers without judicial oversight.

Could make things interesting.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:45 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:

Will gladly watch this and respond later; editing this post. First comment, did they really have someone introduce the professor who was to introduce the lecturer?

First thing I dislike regarding the comparison is that he's comparing a 6 year event to a 4 century event. One is perpetrated by the same cultural/demographic group (Germans), while the others involved numerous different cultures (Dutch, Spanish, Italian, English, etc).

Last edited by bluesfan94: 11-23-2012 at 12:56 AM.
bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
First thing I dislike regarding the comparison is that he's comparing a 6 year event to a 4 century event. One is perpetrated by the same cultural/demographic group (Germans), while the others involved numerous different cultures (Dutch, Spanish, Italian, English, etc).
It's not that different.
A) The Nazis had help from all over Europe. It's not like all the other European countries were completely appalled by it, many were gladly helping out.
B) The difference in technology was enormous. Transportation and mass-killing on such a level wasn't relly possible at the time most Indian tribes got killed. It's kind of hard to wipe out whole populations quickly if all you have is a few horses and later on the odd train.

The principle is very much the same. It may not necessarily be on the same level, but it's definately the same act.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:06 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Nazi set to wipe out the jews. They did not sign agreements with them, they did not ally with them against others.

It fine to point out that both instance were atrocities.

To say they are the same is stupid.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Anyone who calls Israel Nazis is either intellectually dishonest or just trolling to get a rise out of people at this point. They are nothing alike.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:16 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Anyone who calls Israel Nazis is either intellectually dishonest or just trolling to get a rise out of people at this point. They are nothing alike.
Agreed. I just cannot understand why people absolutely need to always link every-freakin-thing to the Nazi.

Israel's behavior is more alike to the Ottoman treatment of the Armenians.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Agreed. I just cannot understand why people absolutely need to always link every-freakin-thing to the Nazi.

Is that supposed to mean it's "better" than the Holocaust? I'm sure everyone knows the Hitler quote "Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?"

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:

Ah no.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:56 AM
RoryDelap
That's some bad hat.

Quote:
Because they had awesome uniforms.

RoryDelap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:49 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Protests in egypt kicking up over Mohd Mursy decree to give himself powers without judicial oversight.

Could make things interesting.
Quote:
Ansar al Sharia Egypt has published its founding statement online. The group says that "preaching and jihad are two wings that are indispensable to the spread of Islam," according to a translation prepared by the SITE Intelligence Group. And the group outlines 16 goals with that two-pronged approach in mind.

In addition to calling for the implementation of sharia law, and the resurrection of the Caliphate, the organization says it will work toward "the liberation of the Muslim lands from foreign invasion" and resist "modern colonialism, especially the Zionist-Crusader colonialism that is led by America and the West."

Ansar al Sharia Egypt also says, according to SITE's translation, that it will support "the mujahideen and their movements and groups in the different lands of the Muslims so as to resist the Zionist-Crusader colonization, and this comes at the head of our priorities."

The founding statement is signed by Ahmed Ashush, a high-profile jihadist who has longstanding ties to al Qaeda. During a recent television appearance, Ashush criticized Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi for not imposing sharia law. Ashush has consistently denounced the democratic process as well.
http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...g_al_qaeda.php

Egypt just got its own Al Qaeda franchise. How adorable.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:13 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
Is that supposed to mean it's "better" than the Holocaust? I'm sure everyone knows the Hitler quote "Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?"
It certainly was much less deliberate, and much less "meat grinder" than the Nazi Holocaust.

It is still about forced relocation, and keeping the weaker party under you heel forever, hoping they'd die out.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:20 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
Armenian genocide? Israel's official position is no such "genocide" took place.

http://www.salon.com/2010/06/16/isra...ocide_armenia/

Old
11-23-2012, 02:56 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Intellectually dishonest? Who in this thread called Israel Nazi's?

What people need to acknowledge is that "genocidal" behavior toward "inferior races" cuts across political, social, and historical boundaries. What does the American extermination of the Native Americans have to do with the Ottoman extermination of the Armenians have to do with the Germans extermination of the Jews? Here is a democracy, a totalitarian state, and a feudal monarchy all similarly engaged in genocide. But does that make them all the same?

But the genocidal intent -- the desire to liquidate the "inferior race" occupying choice real estate -- that intention is quite real and does manage to link these disparate episodes (and peoples, both perpetrators and victims) of genocide in a fundamental way.

Personally I find this conversation fascinating and worthy of serious thought bereft of insults and argumentative straw men.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:

What people need to acknowledge is that "genocidal" behavior toward "inferior races" cuts across political, social, and historical boundaries. What does the American extermination of the Native Americans have to do with the Ottoman extermination of the Armenians have to do with the Germans extermination of the Jews? Here is a democracy, a totalitarian state, and a feudal monarchy all similarly engaged in genocide. But does that make them all the same?

But the genocidal intent -- the desire to liquidate the "inferior race" occupying choice real estate -- that intention is quite real and does manage to link these disparate episodes (and peoples, both perpetrators and victims) of genocide in a fundamental way.

Personally I find this conversation fascinating and worthy of serious thought bereft of insults and argumentative straw men.
It depends what your definition of genocide is exactly. But Israel is not targeting the Palestinians for extinction and what they are doing bears no resemblance to my understanding of the word liquidation. They are engaged in a military and political struggle and because it is difficult to engage the enemy (which does use civilians as cover), they have accepted that their military strikes will cause civilian deaths. I am sure it is their strategy to make the death toll so high that another attack by Hamas will be too costly. Still, I wouldn't call this a genocide.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:09 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Armenian genocide? Israel's official position is no such "genocide" took place.

http://www.salon.com/2010/06/16/isra...ocide_armenia/
Same with America's official position according to the video you posted. What's your point?

Old
11-23-2012, 05:11 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:

Was this really the goal of the Holocaust? To take land? I would argue it wasn't. It may have been a goal of the war as a whole, but not the Holocaust itself. That was more just the liquidation of what was seen to be an inferior race, and I don't think was based on the desire to acquire "choice" property. Meanwhile, the Israelis aren't "liquidating" the Palestinians.