HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL cities where hockey is #1

Old
11-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
So because your dad was a driver and racing is your life the Red Wings get knocked down a peg?

Racing really isn't that popular in the cities. It's a rural 'sport', which makes sense considering it's beginnings in the moonshine business (in this country at least...I don't know **** about F1 and I damn well know the extreme majority of Americans are in the same boat there...and I sure as hell don't care to learn...no amount of backstory is going to make cars exciting to people who aren't raised in that culture).

Racing isn't anywhere near being #1 in any NHL city regardless. There are no NHL franchises based in Daytona or Talladega...or Jennerstown.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 11-22-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:54 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
obviously everywhere in canada...although t.o. does this weird thing where ppl love their jays caps.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:59 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
I hate the fact that people who have limited knowledge of racing down it so much.
Hard enough to convince some of F1 racing fans that turning left is exciting.

If hockey (HNIC) wasn't showed on Saturday night each weekend, I'm not sure what sport I'd have gotten into, probably baseball then basketball, but not football, for some reason it wasn't as accessible growing up. CBC showed the Expos and Blue Jays so I watched them as a kid.

Last edited by HavlatMach9: 11-22-2012 at 03:09 AM. Reason: little more accuracy
HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

vCash: 50
Pretty sure it is everywhere in Canada except for Saskatchewan.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:23 AM
NastyNinoSays

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
obviously everywhere in canada...although t.o. does this weird thing where ppl love their jays caps.
Toronto loves Jays caps, but the team draws 14 thousand fans all season long. its a wannabe town. The theory is Drake made the cap hip

NastyNinoSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Racing isn't anywhere near being #1 in any NHL city regardless. There are no NHL franchises based in Daytona or Talladega...or Jennerstown.
i'm not disputing that racing is the #1 sport in any big city. But you're also suggesting that Daytona, Talladega, Bristol, Martinsville... are a local draw similar to how the Avalanche are Denver's team. NASCAR tracks are a destination and each event draws fans from across the nation.

I also think the popularity of NASCAR is on the decline. It seemed like it was poised for a big surge a few years back. But then everyone realized Jeff Gordon was past his prime, Dale Jr isn't really all that great and Jimmy Johnson bored the heck out of everyone by dominating for so many years.

Now UFC gets a lot of hype as the next big thing, I almost think that the UFC hype is stagnating and that sport will slowly drop off too. If Boxing would get a decent heavyweight division, the UFC would be an afterthought. Not that boxing is more skilled or anything, because UFC has so many different disciplines and involved the full body. But UFC is over in 5 seconds, it doesn't have the dramatic ebb and flow of a boxing match.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
No, I'm pretty sure hockey is more bigger in Colorado and Pittsburgh. I've been to Denver and I saw much more Avs fans. Pittsburgh I wouldn't know so well, but I'm almost certain they have more than the Steelers.
The Broncos just got Peyton Manning. Only Brady really eclipse him in popularity. There is absolutely no way the Avs touch the Broncos. Pittsburgh has come a longer away due to Crosby and Malkin but the Steelers definitely have the edge, and by a sizable amount I wager.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:20 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
So you would pay ~$50+ to watch cars go around in circles, pay for expensive beer and watch an occasional attractive girl walk by?
I am not a NASCAR fan in the slightest, but if you ever have the chance to go to a race I suggest you take it.

I've paid 4x that to see a Canucks game in February, had overpriced beer, and left bored. A NASCAR event, especially the bigger ones, are a total riot.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:45 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
If we're being technical Devils are NJs only team
the redbulls are in jersey

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:15 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy and Abed View Post
Pretty sure it is everywhere in Canada except for Saskatchewan.
If Saskatoon or Regina was to acquire a team, the Roughriders would become irrelevant.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:34 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
If Saskatoon or Regina was to acquire a team, the Roughriders would become irrelevant.
No they wouldn't. The Lions aren't irrelevant in BC and the Riders are WAY more important in Sask than the Lions are here.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:35 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
No. The Riders are the Canadian equivalent of the Packers. Their hardcore fanbase alone is big enough to support that team twice over, then when you consider everyone and their mother is a Riders "fan" in Sask...

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

All of Minnesota loves hockey. Not just NHL all hockey. High school and college have huge fan bases especially of late with the departure of the North Stars. The Wild have never gotten the huge media coverage because lets face it they have been a boring team without a huge star or appeal that would draw casual fans like other sports. But if they keep making moves like they did this past summer they could quickly become number one. But at this point I'd bet you would have more people into the Gophers than Wild especially with the lockout. So much good hockey here we don't even need the NHL and its lockout ********.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:19 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
The riders are huge, but they pale in comparison to hockey. The thing is that everyone is a Rider fan, while for hockey we're split among ten different teams.

Hockey is most definitely number one in Saskatchewan.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
No. The Riders are the Canadian equivalent of the Packers. Their hardcore fanbase alone is big enough to support that team twice over, then when you consider everyone and their mother is a Riders "fan" in Sask...
Then half of them moved to Calgary.

Seth Rollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
..... absolutely, positively not. The Avs are safely #4 in Denver behind the Broncos, Rockies, and Nuggets, and it's not even close except for maybe the Nuggets.
This. Broncos alone are bigger than the Rockies, Nuggets and Avs combined. The best time of week to go shopping is during a Broncos game, since Denver resembles a ghost town. People look at you like you're an alien because you aren't watching the Broncos game.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:02 PM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I am not a NASCAR fan in the slightest, but if you ever have the chance to go to a race I suggest you take it.

I've paid 4x that to see a Canucks game in February, had overpriced beer, and left bored. A NASCAR event, especially the bigger ones, are a total riot.
Agree, I went to the Las Vegas speedway (during the Vancouver Olympics unfortunately) and had a blast at all the semi truck shops and dodge car drifting. Although after about 5 laps it was incredibly boring and spending half the race watching cars go half speed because of tiny bumps between cars is no fun. Add to that your shoulder to shoulder with 100,000 republicans with crosses...

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:05 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyutinMyOwnHorn View Post
Then half of them moved to Calgary.
Id wager there are as many Stamps fans as there are Riders fans at most games

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
All of Minnesota loves hockey. Not just NHL all hockey. High school and college have huge fan bases especially of late with the departure of the North Stars. The Wild have never gotten the huge media coverage because lets face it they have been a boring team without a huge star or appeal that would draw casual fans like other sports. But if they keep making moves like they did this past summer they could quickly become number one. But at this point I'd bet you would have more people into the Gophers than Wild especially with the lockout. So much good hockey here we don't even need the NHL and its lockout ********.
Yup. And the Wild have to compete with all of the other D1 schools in the state and very close by. Wisconsin, UND, Minnesota State, St. Cloud, Gophers, and UMD (Bemidji to a lesser extent). Vikings are #1 in the Twin Cities area, hockey a close second. But hockey, not NHL.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:15 PM
sawchuk1971

should be regions, more so than cities, that hockey is a major sport...

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by llb9977 View Post
Toronto loves Jays caps, but the team draws 14 thousand fans all season long. its a wannabe town. The theory is Drake made the cap hip
Now,Now let's not get too hasty. I remember when the Jays set MLB season attendance records, 1st to 5 million fans (I believe). It's proven here that if you win they will come. Hockey.......well, that's a different story. The Leafs are like that Granddad who fought in the war, even though you may not like him you still have to respect him.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
the redbulls are in jersey
So are the Jets and Giants

Fire Dumboer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Mattb124

In San Jose, you definately see more Shark's gear (license plate frames, stickers, hats, shirts) than for the other area teams - save for the recent spike in Giant's gear following the WS victory. I think that is more of an indication that Shark's fans are rabid whereas the average Bay Area sports fan is more about the 49ers/Raiders and Giants/A's (none is a San Jose team however). That may change when the 9ers start playing in Santa Clara (the next town N of SJ) in a few years.

San Jose is a pretty serious hockey town though. I have heard from multiple sources that we have the largest adult hockey league or combination of adult hockey leagues in the U.S, totaling approximately 1,500 players.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:37 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
"Rider Pride" instantly dies if Saskatchewan gets an NHL team.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:23 PM
NHLsnipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Sabres were more popular the the Bills from 04-06 easily. In the USA Buffalo and Minnesota are the closest to being even imo. But again this is due to the fact that the Bills have not made the playoffs in 12 years, once they make it again the Bills are this cities team.
?? I could see an argument for the end of 06-08/09ish

04 was solid. 05 was the lockout and it took half of the 06 season for fans to come watch games. I literally had the whole 300 level to run around in one of the first 5 home games after the lockout.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote