HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How upset are you over this lockout opposed to the last 2

View Poll Results: How do you feel about this stoppage as opposed to 94 and 04
care less 29 50.00%
care the same 7 12.07%
care more 22 37.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-20-2012, 06:15 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
How upset are you over this lockout opposed to the last 2

Was wondering how everyone feels about this lockout as opposed to 94/04. For me i saw it coming and since the last 2 work stoppages i seem a little less interested and 1 thing people are forgetting was the 04 lockout came out with some new ideas to make the game more interesting (read here for all those rule changes http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/rul...le_changes.htm). This time around i don't think we will be as fortunate to see many changes in fact none at all. What's your thoughts?

P.S. If any mod can help remove the PGDT poll and change to no multiple choice i would greatly appreciate.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-20-2012 at 10:22 AM.
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Hyphistos

I think it's more frustrating because it feels more unnecessary. The last time it was about a huge system change with salary cap etc. It was "kind of understandable" that such things can't be resolved quickly.

Now it's basically only about how to share the pie (until now) and the fact that serious offers from both sides started only in mid of October really doesn't help to not feel like both sides used the lockout fully intentional as a "necessary evil" - which makes me especially upset.

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Dan-o16

All this lockout does is make me less willing to make a financial commitment to following sports. Considering that this commitment has been tried so many times in the past decade, I care less at this point.

Even 5 years ago, upon hearing that the Isles are moving to my home borough, I'd have jumped for season tix. Now, I will buy a 5-10 game package at maximum. Of course, having two kids could have something to do with that.

Being not tech stupid, I don't have cable or satellite TV, and I know how to use a VPN. I'm not saying I'm special - I know how typical I am. My point: the NHL better learn to start responding to me. Otherwise, it's going to think that it has a bunch of Isles fans watching games from Oregon or Switzerland. If it thinks that, it's understanding of its own revenue potential is going to be way off.

If the NHL keeps insisting on keeping its options open, I will do the same. I won't pay for cable or tickets on the chance there is going to be hockey.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:36 AM
MJF

I'm getting used to these lockouts.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:58 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

With each successive lockout it becomes more and more embaressing for the NHL. Does that make me care more or care less? I'm not sure. When hockey returns I will watch, but each lockout has caused me to lose respect for the NHL.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphistos View Post
I think it's more frustrating because it feels more unnecessary. The last time it was about a huge system change with salary cap etc. It was "kind of understandable" that such things can't be resolved quickly.

Now it's basically only about how to share the pie (until now) and the fact that serious offers from both sides started only in mid of October really doesn't help to not feel like both sides used the lockout fully intentional as a "necessary evil" - which makes me especially upset.
I agree

This lockout just reeks of laziness and stubbornness IMO

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleOkposo View Post
Was wondering how everyone feels about this lockout as opposed to 94/04. For me i saw it coming and since the last 2 work stoppages i seem a little less interested and 1 thing people are forgetting was the 04 lockout came out with some new ideas to make the game more interesting (read here for all those rule changes http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/rul...le_changes.htm). This time around i don't think we will be as fortunate to see many changes in fact none at all. What's your thoughts?

P.S. If any mod can help remove the PGDT poll and change to no multiple choice i would greatly appreciate.
Okposo, is that you behind that keyboard!?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:09 AM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleOkposo View Post

As a 12-year-old whose team was coming off two straight playoff seasons, the 1994 lockout blew.

As a 22-year-old just out of college with little to worry about, and a fan of a decent hockey team, the 2004 lockout sucked, but you figured it might be for the better of the sport.

As a 30-year-old paying a Long Island mortgage, but without a raise in four years, watching millionaires and billionaires fight and cry over pocket change just makes me angry and, worse, indifferent, despite my love of the sport and the Islanders.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Bexlyspeed

After 2005 i thought there was no way they would have a lock out, but this just shows me how little the fans factor into the owners thinking.

so i could care less. if they play i may go, i may not. after the last lockout it took me about 6 years to start watching all the Isles games again, granted i did go to the coliseum once or twice in that period, but i dont watch ANY games in which the islanders arent playing.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Isles Junkie

I miss hockey just as much as I did back then, but I'm not angry this time around. It's just a bunch of stubborn dummies being stubborn.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
lorwood

I am actually amused at the stupidity of the whole thing.

Only the truly myopic can get themselves into situations like this.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Bert Marshall days

Didn't miss it at all last time and couldn't care less now. As I get older, priorities change and NHL hockey is about #843 on the list. Some 20 something in canada where this is their whole life is probably in suicide mode but not me. I only checked message boards to see the arena status and now what's happening in Brooklyn. There's too many things to fill up the leisure time too - politics, college football, cooking, etc. We're NYI fans and they're so bad, what's to miss or get upset over?

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:01 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
I care less about the NHL because of it, and I will spend less money on them. I wish the entire fan base could send them a message by boycotting the first month of hockey next year.

I'd really like to see the fan base extract a promise from both sides to work out a deal prior to the end of the next CBA - some form of guarantee that we won't have to go through this again soon.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I care less about the NHL because of it, and I will spend less money on them. I wish the entire fan base could send them a message by boycotting the first month of hockey next year.

I'd really like to see the fan base extract a promise from both sides to work out a deal prior to the end of the next CBA - some form of guarantee that we won't have to go through this again soon.
My way of showing fan support vs. the league

1. I will attend less games (15 last season, will be reduced to 5 or less)
2. I will NOT buy a single food, beverage, or memorabilia item at the game, if more fans did this it could make an impact, pregame before hand)

If 8,000 fans don't spend $10 on concessions that's $98,400,000 per year lost by the NHL (Figure the CBA lasts 6 years and that is $590,400,000 lost by the NHL, that might make an impact)

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:05 AM
lost35*

04 I frantically kept my eyes on the news hoping it would be resolved, when they announced the season was cancelled I was crushed

now I hope the lockout goes on as long as possible, could give less then 2 ****s and I doubt I will care when they come back

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:50 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

I'll care more when the NHL comes back but currently, I care less.....and I regretfully admit that this lockout is like willingly a punch with the intention of dislocating tearing off the arm that dealt it after contact.

In the '03-'04 season, the Isles finished above the Rangers and Penguins and snuck into the post-season as an 8th seed, so there was more hope that they'd trend upwards had the following season ever happened. While it wouldn't be suffering an illusion for the Isles to come out strong had there been a season this year, there would be more question marks this year than at the start of next year, were this entire season lost.

Now....though I hate to admit it......the Isles can benefit from another year of prospect development and pressing towards being a bigger threat. I'd rather see Moulson & Okposo do what JT, Grabner, Nielsen, Bailey and McDonad are doing and come overseas to play hockey and keep their chops up, though. Poulin and Nilsson aren't getting ruined before they can improve. Hamonic is improving as a #1 d-man. Nino's getting his moxy back and he and Nelson are currently hovering above and below PPG, respectively while Donovan, Cizikas, Ullstrøm and the rest all get to improve on the same squad and gel properly.

I'd rather have a hockey season, obviously.....but to deny the developmental edge afforded to teams like Brooklyn (getting used to that), Florida and Ottawa, I feel that we could have easily been disappointed with the season anyway (except for Tavares.) Hypothetically, if the season is lost and we don't see any NHL hockey until the '13-'14 season, players get more development in leagues with less high-end talent, hopefully resulting in more confidence where they need it while Bettman and Fehr are still trying to trying to figure out which one of them is the butch and which one is the.....almost the same word.

If the lockout persists until next season and the Islanders can make a few moves, who's to say that they don't see a very quick turnaround and bust their way back into the playoff picture. There are too many shiny cogs getting the right grease right now, and as much as I hate having no NHL, I can't deny that this benefits the team in the long run, IF player movement & spending are handled properly.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:23 PM
periferal

I for one don't mind the lockout for two main reasons:

1. In my opinion the rangers were leading Cup contenders and there is nothing worse in sports for me then seeing a rangers jersey have success.
2. Even the idiot Islander organization can screw up prospect development when there's a lockout as the young kids have to play in lesser leagues.

Add in that once they resolve the lockout the Isles might get revenue sharing and there might be a rule protecting them in the future from losing NCAA prospects like Gregoire and Lee, and I think the lockout actually might benefit the Isles.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:42 PM
gordie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
As a 12-year-old whose team was coming off two straight playoff seasons, the 1994 lockout blew.

As a 22-year-old just out of college with little to worry about, and a fan of a decent hockey team, the 2004 lockout sucked, but you figured it might be for the better of the sport.

As a 30-year-old paying a Long Island mortgage, but without a raise in four years, watching millionaires and billionaires fight and cry over pocket change just makes me angry and, worse, indifferent, despite my love of the sport and the Islanders.
Have the same feeling, but let me also add, that as a 30yo tax payer makes it even more difficult knowing that after 2015, a HUGE tax revenue generator and a place that gave many LIers a job, including myself, will be playing for NYC tax payers.

gordie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:29 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
I'm getting used to these lockouts.
Just like free agency changed the sports and made them seem more mercenary, this is just the next step. It's part of the fight over the big bucks. There is no one getting "screwed" here anymore. It's rich fighting super-rich. I care much less.

Lockouts will just be a part of it. And we'll all be back because there are few casual hockey fans, mostly just hockey fanatics. And the sponsors and TV will be back because live sports offers one of the few remaining venues to promote your beer, etc.

Until then, meh. Lots of other hockey around here, esp. with the Mooseheads kicking butt with MacKinnon, Drouin and Fucale.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Furkmyster

In 1994 I didn't care much about hockey as I was in 2nd year of mechanical engineering at university. The original Jets were still around and I think I would see maybe one game a year.

In 2004, the signs were very obvious that players were being a stupid amount of money by a few teams to the detriment of the league. A fix was needed, and if it cost a whole season, so be it. I think I had Centre Ice on the dish, but I never watched that much hockey.

In 2012, I don't get it. Owners got the system they wanted 7 years prior, and the PA had to hire the ****** that is Fehr to lead them. Now they are talking about adjusting the slice of the pie and fiddly contracting issues. Of course the boneheaded owners went on a ridiculous spending spree in the summer or 2012, so the players that signed the contract are within their right to be expecting the contracts that they signed to be honoured. For the owners to be expecting to take a significant slice off of it is ridiculous.

So, F them all. Centre Ice is cancelled and will not be renewed any time soon. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy any NHL merchandise, tickets, and they get another penny of my money. Will I still watch, probably, but it will be whatever TSN, Sportsnet or CBC is showing for 'free'.

Furkmyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:30 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Just like free agency changed the sports and made them seem more mercenary, this is just the next step. It's part of the fight over the big bucks. There is no one getting "screwed" here anymore. It's rich fighting super-rich. I care much less.

Lockouts will just be a part of it. And we'll all be back because there are few casual hockey fans, mostly just hockey fanatics. And the sponsors and TV will be back because live sports offers one of the few remaining venues to promote your beer, etc.

Until then, meh. Lots of other hockey around here, esp. with the Mooseheads kicking butt with MacKinnon, Drouin and Fucale.
For the two main sides, yeah, but for the vendors and everyone else who depend on the game they are getting royally screwed. Paul Friesen recently wrote a nice piece about it here:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20375521.html

It is a shame that the normal people associated with the NHL are taking a huge hit.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:23 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
For the two main sides, yeah, but for the vendors and everyone else who depend on the game they are getting royally screwed. Paul Friesen recently wrote a nice piece about it here:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20375521.html

It is a shame that the normal people associated with the NHL are taking a huge hit.
Yeah, good point. One more reason to feel no sympathy for either side.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:29 AM
JeffNYI

Like others, how much I cared about each lockout has evolved just as I have as a person..

The largest contrast for me is the shock factor..

In 1994 I was absolutely stunned beyond belief at the whole thing.. I couldn't believe what was happening..

In 2012, I literally expected the lockout and have fully accepted it.

But I'm not upset at all.. in fact I've adopted the exact opinion of both the players AND owners..

The future for me as an NHL fan will be centered on myself, my own needs and whether or not I have better entertainment options or more important areas I need to spend my money.

If the NHL presents the best option for me, they'll get my money.. if something's more important or there's something more interesting going on, the NHL won't get my money.. I won't shun the league forever and I'll probably get Center Ice.. but the days of planning vacations or trips around Islanders games (home or away) are over for now.. but yet I reserve the right to change my mind about that if the team excels..

Basically, for me, the NHL is now all about me.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:28 PM
rikker
fan since '75.

maybe i'm the only one that feels this way, but i stopped enjoying watching hockey years ago. i think the refereeing is atrocious, and takes away from the spontaneity of each game. it seems to me that the home team gets homer calls (helps attendance if the home team wins...), the team that is behind in the game, ususally gets a courtesy call, to make the game more interesting...closer. especially in the playoffs, when the rule book gets tossed out the window... no other sport does this, and i find it embarrassing.

i am a die-hard Isles fan, so i do follow them, but hockey for me now, is mostly about hockey pools.

i care less than i used to....

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:53 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
04 I frantically kept my eyes on the news hoping it would be resolved, when they announced the season was cancelled I was crushed

now I hope the lockout goes on as long as possible, could give less then 2 ****s and I doubt I will care when they come back

It was sickening to be the 1st lockout/strike to last a season. The NHL seems dubious in making breakthroughs for all the wrong reasons

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote